Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
I'm so ecstatic that they have put the Polar Bear Cafe in Guilty Gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I would recommend the Hori RAP N as a good stick for anyone looking for a first one. Premium parts, easy to open case, nice wide frame that feels good on the lap, anti-slip material already installed. In the long run you'll want to replace the Hayabusa lever at the very least (feels squishy, especially after you try a Sanwa or another brand of lever) but if you grab it on one of the frequent sales it goes on you could replace the lever and still come out at under most midrange stick's prices. Also 100% works on ps5.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
It's a good stick. I also have one.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

dhamster posted:

It's a good stick. I also have one.

Agreed. I had one and only got rid of it to upgrade to a Qanba Obsidian.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the giant COUNTER sucks and looks really bad but i like the short slowdown effect it does

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/Iuciferic/status/1359555612053549063?s=19

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Dias posted:

broke: I dislike Strive's HUD because it's huge and distracting
woke: maybe if the COUNTER notification is huge I'll finally be able to hitconfirm poo poo thanks Strive

this but unironically

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
I recommend against the hori stuff because it has their proprietary parts and the build quality feels kinda junky. If you have the ability to try before you buy with ANY stick, i would definitely do that. if you have no frame of reference for an arcade stick and the hori is the first thing you're trying I guess you wont be able to tell how lovely hayabusa parts feel though so it could be fine in that case. some maniacs actually seek out hayabusa parts.

its become very hard to recommend a stick because of all the revisions now, actually. I used to recommend the razer panthera since its really just a great stick, but the new revision uses "razer action buttons" instead of sanwa. this is probably bad, but idk

the obsidian has a lot of things wrong with it IMO. the obsidian is the stick I use the most so i cant help but notice all the things it lacks: no detachable cord, cord shorter than competing sticks, its really annoying to get in to compared to others, and it has a really gaudy look that is annoying to mod art on. theres no physical start/select buttons and the layout for secondary buttons like l3/r3/share/options etc is trash

there is however a lot of good about the obsidian: it uses sanwa parts and the pcb is fine, and it works on ps3/ps4/pc out of the box without a firmware update like some others, it has a nice textured nonslip on the bottom so it doesnt move around if you play on a table. the stick has an extremely good weight and feels nice and sturdy. the stick also goes on sale very frequently (or it used to, when tournaments happened).

also, for button layouts, the obsidian uses vewlix whereas the hrap uses noir. this is really just preference

it does have this one glaring issue. there are 9 arrows here around the stick. but why?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I think hayabusa buttons feel great, but I'll never go to bat for the lever. Absolute trash.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

The thing that gets me about the GG UI is how sanitised it looks.

You have your gauges, time and intro in this stylised font, but your numbers, counter/combo messages, and even SLASH is in this very basic font. It's inconsistent and still feels like a placeholder, like they are going to swap it out any day now but still haven't.

Game looks freaking amazing otherwise, excited for the beta test.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zand posted:

there are 9 arrows here around the stick. but why?

What the gently caress

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
405 degree stick input.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Being honest, it's best to build your own fightstick with the parts you want.

If you are serious in getting into fighting games and want to take things to "the next level" then just buy a high quality fightstick and replace the parts if you don't grow into them. Everyone has different tastes so it's difficult to give a full on recommendation. For example I'm one of those freaks who prefers the Hayabusha buttons that everyone hates.

It's not even that big of a loss if you find that you want different buttons after a while either since they are like $2 per button.

Or you can mess around with your friends fightsticks at locals and see what you prefer and order/build a custom one of your own.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I have the original razer panthera. Proprietary cord is bullshit.
Art glued to the plexi is also bullshit.

Otherwise feels good

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

If you want the clear buttons when you're customizing your stick, make sure to get the screw-in buttons instead of the snap-ins if you ever plan on popping buttons out to swap them or change plexi art.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Zand posted:

I recommend against the hori stuff because it has their proprietary parts and the build quality feels kinda junky. If you have the ability to try before you buy with ANY stick, i would definitely do that. if you have no frame of reference for an arcade stick and the hori is the first thing you're trying I guess you wont be able to tell how lovely hayabusa parts feel though so it could be fine in that case. some maniacs actually seek out hayabusa parts.

FWIW, to qualify my recommendation of the Rap N, I don't actually know how the hayabusa parts feel because I switched them for sanwa/seimitsu right away when I got the stick.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

40 lbs to freedom posted:

this but unironically

who said it was ironic?

I disagree with stick being inherently superior for fighting games, BTW. It's probably worse for you if you use it wrong when it comes to hand and wrist health, it's more comfortable but also way more unwieldy and loud, and you have a learning curve you might not have with a pad. I know a lot of people that put money into a decent stick and ended up sticking with pad because of those things.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
There are players winning tournaments with stick, pad, and hitbox. Pick one that's comfortable and use it to practice.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
When I first started getting back into fighting games I bought a Qanba Obsidian. I used to play in arcades as a kid so I thought maybe that would be a good idea.

I never actually use it because I find a good dpad to be the much more enjoyable way to move around in a fighting game nowadays.

This isn’t a diss on arcade sticks, but more just trying to say I don’t believe there’s a wrong answer when it comes to how you control your video games. Play em on a hitbox if that feels right to your hands.

edit for Pockyless: :bisonyes:

brainSnakes fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 10, 2021

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

This whole thread is a gift

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33zNUxCddys

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Is that the smash bro remix of his theme?

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Smash was from the OST of Fatal Fury 2. This is either an arrangement from the AST, or a new version. I'll have to listen again more closely.

Congrats to Joe for joining Team Iori!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtVcCRdWgKA

Zatos up

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The thing I miss about pixel era of KOF is how expressive a lot of the characters were. Joe especially, he's always so fun to use. And I loved his stupid powerful charge super that became unblockable if you held it fully and kicked you on the loving ankle/shin.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Weird double post from poo poo taking too long. Ignore!

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

He looks mostly the same as Rev2, RIP two drills though. Eddie and all of his new animations look incredible so I hope Zato's fun and good.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Dracula Factory posted:

He looks mostly the same as Rev2, RIP two drills though.

it looks like all his negative edge stuff is gone and eddie’s moves are all different?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

He described it weird he said each button also has an eddie attack

So instead of needing to release to get the move it just goes off with zato's? Or not and its neg edge?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I think he meant qcf plus any button has an eddie attack; he never showed or mentioned any moves aside from the specials he explained

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Good catch

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

the thread posted:

:words: about fight sticks

Well, drat, now I feel more uncertain than I did before asking.

dragon enthusiast posted:

one of the past EVO street fighter winners did so on a PS1 dualshock pad, it's more about what you find comfortable than any technical advantage

Blue Labrador posted:

You know, I quit melee because I hated how the gc controller hurt my hands, but I committed to fighting games on stick and hitbox, so maybe I just have a grass is greener perspective on the whole thing. It is much rarer for me to have pained wrists ever since I switched over, so maybe there is something inherently ergonomic to those layouts.

I do wish sticks were easier to carry in luggage without loving them up though.

EightFlyingCars posted:

i'm learning +r on a pad and after thirty minutes my left thumb just feels absolutely worn out

wonder if a stick or a hitbox would be better for that

That sort of what I was thinking. It seems like it stick would be more comfortable in a lot, and the layout easier to memorize. I remember when I played SSF2THDR, I couldn't remember the heavy punches/kicks were relegated to the shoulder buttons (I guess there are the six-button pads someone mentioned earlier as an alternative.)

On the other hand:

Dias posted:

I disagree with stick being inherently superior for fighting games, BTW. It's probably worse for you if you use it wrong when it comes to hand and wrist health, it's more comfortable but also way more unwieldy and loud, and you have a learning curve you might not have with a pad. I know a lot of people that put money into a decent stick and ended up sticking with pad because of those things.

Zand posted:

its become very hard to recommend a stick because of all the revisions now, actually. I used to recommend the razer panthera since its really just a great stick, but the new revision uses "razer action buttons" instead of sanwa. this is probably bad, but idk

[...]

punk rebel ecks posted:

Being honest, it's best to build your own fightstick with the parts you want.

If you are serious in getting into fighting games and want to take things to "the next level" then just buy a high quality fightstick and replace the parts if you don't grow into them. Everyone has different tastes so it's difficult to give a full on recommendation. For example I'm one of those freaks who prefers the Hayabusha buttons that everyone hates.

It's not even that big of a loss if you find that you want different buttons after a while either since they are like $2 per button.

I also don't want give myself any hand/wrist strain, and I'd feel bad about dropping the money on, only to let it collect dust in the corner. It sounds like the higher end ones have to be modded

Building one does a fun project though, though I imagine you have to be specific with the internals if you want it to work with consoles.

I dunno. I guess I just have to think about it. I'd like to play around with one and see how I like it, but that's not real viable for me.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Well, drat, now I feel more uncertain than I did before asking.

That sort of what I was thinking. It seems like it stick would be more comfortable in a lot, and the layout easier to memorize. I remember when I played SSF2THDR, I couldn't remember the heavy punches/kicks were relegated to the shoulder buttons (I guess there are the six-button pads someone mentioned earlier as an alternative.)

On the other hand:

I also don't want give myself any hand/wrist strain, and I'd feel bad about dropping the money on, only to let it collect dust in the corner. It sounds like the higher end ones have to be modded

Building one does a fun project though, though I imagine you have to be specific with the internals if you want it to work with consoles.

I dunno. I guess I just have to think about it. I'd like to play around with one and see how I like it, but that's not real viable for me.

Kind a long shot, but I actually happen to have a PS4 Chun Li stick that'll work on PS4/5 and with steam games via controller compatibility (which is what I did before I got one that was explicitly compatible with PC). I'm not using it since I got a new stick and I've been too lazy to sell it on ebay or something, but it definitely works and I could sell it for p cheap. It's actually really nice and works great!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Just buy a stick if 120$ on a toy is in your budget. Its good to have around if you like arcade games at all
Play frickin pacman or tetris with it for the best time ever.

^^
I also have the chun li's crotch stick and warning: it is a wrist/arm hair grabber

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

b_d posted:

I think he meant qcf plus any button has an eddie attack; he never showed or mentioned any moves aside from the specials he explained

Good point, I assumed he meant that the buttons did the negative edge thing. Hopefully the new method of controlling it won't feel lovely, a few qcf's aren't too bad.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
Is there such a thing as a fighting game pad with a digital thumbstick, or am I doomed to stick with Dpad forever? My first online fighting game was TvC and I played that with the classic controller's analog stick, which felt really good to do motion inputs with because of the octagonal gates.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Play Metal Slug 3 and X on your arcade stick.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Iori Yagami and Joe Higashi are either part of a fresh new Team Japan or Laurence Blood is joining them and they're Team Beat the poo poo Out of Billy Kane.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

theGrooseofLegend posted:

Is there such a thing as a fighting game pad with a digital thumbstick, or am I doomed to stick with Dpad forever? My first online fighting game was TvC and I played that with the classic controller's analog stick, which felt really good to do motion inputs with because of the octagonal gates.

The new Hori 6-button pad has one and micro-switch d-pad/buttons too, you might wanna keep an eye on it (I'unno if it's already out)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I ended up buying a hori fighting commander this summer when i was learning SFV, and i think it helped immensely. On a Xbox controller, I can't reliably hit L1 quickly enough so i basically couldn't use Fierce punch. Even R1 is tough for me. It's fine in every other game except fighting games.