Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

2. We've got other stuff to do but there's no need to outright reject her (yet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

Daisy seems nice, but the thread title seems relevant here.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Going by the thread title, I'm saying 2.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Laisa would approve, Daisy however...

I liked the kiss but I'm not ready for more right now.

Evertree posted:

Daisy groans.

"More the commitment type, are you? Well, each to their own I suppose. I should probably finish getting ready for dinner. It was very pleasant to meet you, though."

You get the impression that she's mildly offended by your refusal. You'd probably be better off leaving her to her wardrobe for now.

Where would you like to go now?

[Note - You have 36 minutes left until dinner.]

1. Check out Room 4.
2. Go back and talk to Daisy.
3. Check out Room 6.
4. Go and see if Mrs. Dupree is still in the lobby.
5. Go to the dining hall.
6. Head outside.
7. On second thought, I think I do need to have a bath.
Daisy -10

...less so.

There are ways in that conversation to ask all the questions and not annoy Daisy. You can not go for the kiss, if you give her a real recommendation on the clothes, she doesn't force the issue, or go all the way. Actively, rather than passively, rebuffing her is what she doesn't like.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 9, 2021

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Oh well. Murder investigation beats romance anyway.

Let's go check room 4, since now we know who's in 6.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Black Robe posted:

Oh well. Murder investigation beats romance anyway.

Let's go check room 4, since now we know who's in 6.

Room 4 was the one you decided to stop knocking at the door of earlier, just to remind you.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I feel like room 6 must be important if we've been directed to it. Wasn't the guy that died also a VIP of some sort, like a government thing? Could be related

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

CountryMatters posted:

I feel like room 6 must be important if we've been directed to it. Wasn't the guy that died also a VIP of some sort, like a government thing? Could be related
This is good logic. 6 it is.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

CottonWolf posted:

Room 4 was the one you decided to stop knocking at the door of earlier, just to remind you.

In my defence I am occasionally very stupid :downs:

Room 6 it is!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Okay. Time for the ol' listen-knock.

Check out Room 6.

Evertree posted:

You walk up to the door to room 6. According to the crude map drawn for you by Mrs. Dupree, this is the largest room the inn has to offer. It's probably also the most expensive.

Listen at the door.

Evertree posted:

You strain your ears and hear the soft sound of a female voice on the other side. The voice is singing in a language which you recognise as that of your own people. There is also the gentle strumming of an instrument of some kind.
Perception %+2

Knock on the door.

Evertree posted:

You need only knock very lightly, and a moment later you hear the sound of the lock sliding open and the handle turning to reveal someone most striking. The woman before you is a beautiful elf with long black hair that flows over her shoulders down to her waist. She wears an expensive looking gown of shimmering purple and holds a lute in one hand and some sheet music in the other. Around her neck she wears a beautiful wooden pendant. It looks like it is made of the same wood as the rest of the inn.

You introduce yourself and the elf gives you a calm smile and responds with, "Isaria Evenveil."

She pauses as if waiting. It's almost like she expects you to recognise her… This is not surprising since you've been told that she's a VIP.

1. "Oh right! I met your agent!"
2. I'll play the part and say, "It's such an honour to meet someone of your importance and celebrity, Miss Evenveil."
3. I'll just greet her as I would anyone else, "Nice to meet you, Miss Evenveil."

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

2 seems like the best option here.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
3 play it cool

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Slaan posted:

3 play it cool

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"Nice to meet you, Miss Evenveil."

Evertree posted:

Isaria's calm smile drops away to reveal a frown. "Indeed. Listen, if there's nothing with which I can help you, would you mind leaving? I need to practice."

1. "I was wondering if I could ask you something."
2. "Apologies for disturbing you. I'll leave you alone."
Isaria -5

Turns out that people think it's a bit weird when you knock on their doors for no reason.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 10, 2021

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I'm guessing the correct move was to say we met Daisy and used that as our in...but I think at this point, we've kind of missed that boat, so let's cut our losses and 2, leave her alone rather than trying to push and irritating her further.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Yeah, seems like we're just digging ourselves into a hole here. 2 is probably our best bet.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

"Apologies for disturbing you. I'll leave you alone."

Evertree posted:

As you finish talking to Isaria she says, "Perhaps we shall see each other again later." Then she closes the door.

[Note - You have 34 minutes left until dinner.]

1. Check out Room 4.
3. Go back to Isaria.
6. Head outside.
7. On second thought, I think I do need to have a bath.
Isaria +10

A net positive to her view of us, by the end though! Anyway, back to the long list of options. Where to now?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Let's talk to Ms. Dupree.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

It's bath time

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Let's check outside. The dining hall we'll see soon enough anyways, but presumably it'll get dark at some point so it'd be good to hit up that now in case there's something important out there.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'll update after a tie-breaker.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

RUBBER DUCKIE

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
Let's have a quick nose around outside

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I was too slow! So one more, between outside and rubber duckies.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Duckie!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

On second thought, I think I do need a bath.

Evertree posted:

The washroom is not very large and contains only a small metal tub with a pipe leading into it from a hole in the wall. By opening the pipe, you can fill the tub with hot water. It's a sophisticated contraption, but easy to operate, so before long you have your bath at the perfect depth and temperature.

As you undress you notice that there is a second door leading out of this room which must attach to the room next to yours. This was what Mrs. Dupree meant when she said 'shared facilities'. The door is firmly locked from the other side but you slide your own bolt across anyway to prevent any neighbour from interrupting your ablutions.

Evertree posted:

Lowering yourself into the warm water you feel the tension from the day's travel leaving your tired muscles. If you had more time you could easily spend longer soaking, but there is a tavern to explore, and so with a sigh you rise from the water before your fingers start to prune and head back into the bedroom.

Once you've finished towelling off, you take a moment to admire yourself in the mirror. You haven't looked or felt this clean in a while. Hopefully not smelling like a street urchin will make people more inclined to like you too.

You once again don your smart outfit and head back out to continue exploring.

[Note - You have 28 minutes left until dinner.]

1. Check out Room 4.
3. Go back to Isaria.
6. Head outside.
7. I'm done with exploring. I'm just going to rest until dinner time.
Laisa +3
??? +3
??? +3
??? +3
Daisy +3
Isaria +3
??? +3

I'm sorry to disappoint everyone by the lack of rubber ducks. A scandelous ommision if you ask me.

It's probably time for a reminder of our stats. As I said before, I'm keeping the stats in the OP updated, but it can't hurt to throw it up here occasionally too.

Stats posted:

Current Stats

Character
Name: Glangwen Ogg
Race: Elf
Weapon: Staff
Stats:
Combat: 25/100
Guile: 13/100
Perception: 67/100
Magic: 52/100
Gold: 11
Mana: 55
Warnings: None

Suspects
(Suspects with a higher % will be more co-operative)
Owner: Laisa: 33/100
???: 18/100
???: 8/100
???: 10/100
Daisy Thorne: 22/100
Isaria Evenveil: 23/100

Clues
1 - Luxican official Gregori Risenfaal was murdered in room 3 a week ago with a wooden hair comb.
2 - Mr. Dupree died at the inn, 5 years ago.
3 - The mystery of your stolen 3 gold pieces has been resolved.
4 - ?
5 - The elf in room 6, Isaria Evenveil, is a VIP.
6 - ?
7 - ?
8 - ?
9 - ?
10 - ?
11 - ?
12 - ?
13 - ?
14 - ?
15 - ?

Evertree posted:

Backstory
You grew up in Flom, the oldest of three in a family of elves. Comfortable living alongside nature, your true goal in life was always to become a dedicated shaman.

When a fire destroyed your family home, you and your father were the only survivors. You were forced to start all over again, living on the streets. It all seemed so hopeless until you learned of an opportunity in a far off city, a chance to get your life back on track.

And so with nothing to your name but your pony, your trusty staff, and your keen instincts, you set off on the road to Lux, and that is how you came to arrive at Evertree Inn. It seemed as good a place as any to stop for the night….

Ending:
Check back here at The End.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 12, 2021

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Outside!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Outside

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Nice. Good to see that personal hygiene pays off.

Let's go outside.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Time for a soul searching question.

Head outside.

Evertree posted:

You step out of the front door and walk into the dimming light of the evening. The stable is located around the back of the tavern and you can see a path leading there, which is paved but overgrown with weeds and long grass. This must be where your pony has been taken, and as one of your most valuable commodities, it would be wise to confirm that it hasn't been stolen.

On a more personal level, though, how do you feel about your pony?

1. My pony is more than just a means to get around. We're the best of friends!
2. I'm not sentimental. I like my pony well enough but only as a means of transport.
3. I'm not an animal person. If I could travel as far and as fast on foot, I would.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

:glomp:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

We're a known animal lover

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Good choice.

Evertree posted:

You and your pony have been an inseparable duo even from before the fire. The stables at your family home were a little separate from the rest of the building, and when the fire started, there was time for your beloved equestrian to break free and escape. Ever since then, it's been the two of you against the world.

What's your pony called, by the way?

1. Brewster.
2. Clip-Clop.
3. Polly.
4. Ted.
5. No, none of those is the right name for my pony. (Write in)

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

5. Shawn, probably. (Greebo can only ever be a cat. (Most of the time.))

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Pony McPonyface

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Black Robe posted:

5. Shawn, probably. (Greebo can only ever be a cat. (Most of the time.))

Yeah.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Shawn

Evertree posted:

That is a great name!

You round the back of the Inn to where the stable is located and find a young human man chopping wood. He reaches up and runs one arm across his sweating brow, sweeping aside his long, fair hair. Then he swings his axe into a stump and picks up the logs, carrying them over to a small wooden trapdoor resting in the grass. He wears pale breeches and has a loose cotton shirt tied around his waist.

When he catches you watching, he drops the wood in surprise and curses under his breath as it lands on his foot.

"Sorry," he says, kicking the loose log back into the dropped pile and walking over to you.

"Can I help you with something?" He takes his shirt from his waist and quickly pulls it back over his head.

1. "I'm Glangwen. I'm staying in room 1. I think my pony should be somewhere back here."
2. "My name is Glangwen Ogg. Do you know what happened to my pony?"
3. "Glangwen Ogg. Where's my pony?!"
4. "Do you need any help with all that firewood?"
5. "Oh please, don't feel the need to put your shirt back on for me."
6. "No thanks, I was just exploring."

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

1 is probably the best since this dude probably doesn't know anything about us so identifying both our name and the room is probably good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Yeah, 1 feels like the best way to go.