Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck Bartowski
Apr 14, 2006

Working on my five-year plan, just need to choose a font.

"CuckerCarlson"

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
It is surreal to see 4chan discussed on the floor of congress - and not only on the floor of congress, but in an impeachment trial.

And it's completely relevant.

I mean, in some sense, it's actually accurate to say:

1. SomethingAwful kicks out a bunch of anime weirdos
2. Time passes
3. The United States Capitol is overrun by a mob threatening to lynch politicians

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 10, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

I wish Democrats would realize that shaming members of Congress by name on Twitter should not be an act of intimidation worthy of impeachment, but how poo poo is going to get done going forward.

Moderate Dems are appalled by the idea mostly because they don't actually want to get any poo poo done.

But a twitter rebuke is worthless unless you have no moral fortitude at all. If you have a scintilla of belief in the righteousness of your own actions an aggressive tweet isn't even worth acknowledging.

"Oh, the president tweeted at me? Yeah, he tweets a lot of stuff"

Your version of government only works if you elect complete turds. Which, is why it seems to work so well on Republicans I guess.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

It is surreal to see 4chan discussed on the floor of congress - and not only on the floor of congress, but in an impeachment trial.

2. Time passes
3. The United States Capitol is overrun by a mob threatening to lynch politicians
4. Because the coup failed, we at SA technically saved america from itself. :aaaaa:

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
This is loving damming.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Rabble posted:

This is loving damming.

Maybe for those of us who can’t watch because we’re at work and get to catch up sporadically it could be expected to write out what is damning?

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Earth posted:

Maybe for those of us who can’t watch because we’re at work and get to catch up sporadically it could be expected to write out what is damning?

Pretty much point by point the house impeachment managers, imo, are doing a fantastic job of laying out point by point systematically showing Trump's history of comments at rallies, interviews - and of course, tweets - as well as the organization of the rally/attack on Jan 6.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

I am suggesting that, pretty evidently I think, this is the most effective way to secure your political goals, because this mixture of fear and shared goals combined with an absolute disregard for the rules other than insofar as they can be weaponized to achieve their goals, is why the republicans (and right wingers of all stripes) get their way in government. Both their representatives and their base understand that it is purely about power, about getting what you want by any means available.

What you do with that understanding is up to you, but it doesn't come into being because I propose it, I am describing a thing I think is plainly in front of us. Rules based governance does not function in the face of plain, blunt desire to wield political power. And this is not the system somehow "not working" or whatever, this is a result of understanding exactly how it works and how to use it. It's like... perfecting tic-tac-toe, once you know exactly how it works you can play to stalemate every game and the game stops working as a game. Turns out when you really understand how the government works you can do the same thing, so the question becomes what do you do in the face of a failure of the rules to do what you thought they would ensure?

i don't think 'fear of being killed by their supporters' is actually a meaningful motivation for republicans, because if it was then joe biden wouldn't be president, and there probably would've been far more republicans completely willing to do whatever they could to keep trump in power. if your thesis is that, in general, violence is a check on the political process - an extrajudicial check even - then i don't think thats particularly true in contemporary western governments, because the disparity to commit violence between the state and non-state actors is so large. what i do think that is that republicans are still concerned about political consequences - even if the overt message from the trump lobby is to not-so-subtly threaten physical violence. this dumb coup aside, there is every little evidence that there is a capacity or interest in killing politicians to enact political will. this isn't the 1700s where an angry peasant mob can realistically string up a noble, or even where a militia can seriously threaten a standing military (where one exists).

now that isn't to say that what happened in january wasn't a coup attempt - it was - its to say that that coup attempt was doomed to fail from the start, and that violence against state actors is not a meaningful check in 2021, or even the cheat code you seem to think it is. and if we're looking at things from beyond the frame of the trump presidency, violence against politicans has been much more of a feature of american history outside of the last forty years - and has only become less so recently.

Owlspiracy fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 10, 2021

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

2. Time passes

You're forgetting the interim where an SA poster died working for the government overseas and it resulted in Donald Trump becoming president.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Earth posted:

Basically they are quoting his tweets, quoting his speeches, and quoting what his followers have said online. I mean goddamn there really is no way that Trump shouldn't be impeached when you look at just the info. But the GOP are spineless and it won't happen.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Earth posted:

What other's have said. The impeachment managers have walked step by step through Trump's conduct over 2020 to prime his supporters for the Jan6th insurrection.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Such a strong case that has no chance of being successful. A little surreal.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Xombie posted:

You're forgetting the interim where an SA poster died working for the government overseas and it resulted in Donald Trump becoming president.

And when an SA poster/Clinton staffer (Stone...something?) asked about IT stuff in this forum and conspiracy theorists glommed onto it because clearly he was planning on erasing baby-eating emails.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Hot drat Madeleine Dean was on fire.

Jesus Christ, nothing has surprised me yet as far as how loving blatant it's been, but what's killing me is that the GOP is still defending this fucker.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

mikeraskol posted:

Yeah. Like, I think part of it is definitely the subject - Ukraine vs. Jan 6 - on the two impeachments, but I think the house managers are doing a much better job this time around. But... yeah.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Earth posted:

Its a very concise summary of the worst of Trump's actions.

- The specific language he used to incite the attack

- He knew what was going on, and could have called it off, but chose not to.

- All of the legal cases failed, Trump had no actual valid reason to suspect anything awry in the election

- Trump set up a "no-lose" scenario long before the election results even came in

- In previous cases of violence, Trump has directly voiced support on twitter for his followers, such as running cars off the road

- Harrowing testimony from senators about the assualt

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
"This would not have happened if not for Donald Trump" was such an obvious and damning statement that I'm surprised isn't being hammered more

I'm glad it was finally said plainly

I'm talking specifically about making a clear causal link between his words and the actions of his supporters. So far both have been presented but the link between the two hasn't been solidified as strongly as it just was

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mikeraskol posted:

We can only hope that even if the GOP senators aren't swayed, most of the public is infuriated, and turns out more to vote against them in the next election.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

jet sanchEz posted:

Your country is really loving stupid.

It's beginning to piss me off.

Well look we're not super happy about it either. A lot of us are completely broken and/or at the breaking point.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

We can only hope that even if the GOP senators aren't swayed, most of the public is infuriated, and turns out more to vote against them in the next election.

I think this is the only reasonable goal for this effort. Which, don't get me wrong, is worth while.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'd kind of forgotten about since I haven't Trump's voice in like a month but one thing he always did that really grinded my gears was that pseudo dramatic trail off he's always do at the end of his sentences, usually followed by an "ok, folks?"

I can't post a specific example and am not sure I'm explaining it right but hearing it again yesterday triggered me.

Ok, folks?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Murgos posted:

I think this is the only reasonable goal for this effort. Which, don't get me wrong, is worth while.

Assuming that many people actually watch this as opposed to waiting for their local news to filter and present it to them.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

2. Time passes

*looks at my regdate*

*stares out the window for several minutes*

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I'd kind of forgotten about since I haven't Trump's voice in like a month but one thing he always did that really grinded my gears was that pseudo dramatic trail off he's always do at the end of his sentences, usually followed by an "ok, folks?"

I can't post a specific example and am not sure I'm explaining it right but hearing it again yesterday triggered me.

Ok, folks?

For me it's the weird, narcissistic nonsequitors

"And you'll march down Pennsylvania Avenue... I love Pennsylvania Avenue..."

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Grouchio posted:

4. Because the coup failed, we at SA technically saved america from itself. :aaaaa:

The coup went the way goon projects do. Failure and a few arrests.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Thank you for the details. I wish I could watch at work, but I have to work at work.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Assuming that many people actually watch this as opposed to waiting for their local news to filter and present it to them.

I expect this to be the majority of people's experiences. Speaking for myself as I can't watch, I get it filtered through your posting.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

The image of Hawley up in the Senate gallery, relaxing with his feet up, is just loving infuriating.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mikeraskol posted:

It's as bulletproof a case, for a charge of this sort, as you could possibly hope to make. It's loving appalling that they will acquit, and I really hope the managers say exactly as much in their closing.

Call them out for the cowards they are. Tie him around their necks forever.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Earth posted:

Speaking for myself as I can't watch, I get it filtered through your posting.

I would highly recommend (if nothing else) you watch Stacey Pleskett, Joaquin Castro and Madeline Dean's presentations.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 11, 2021

Chuck Bartowski
Apr 14, 2006

Working on my five-year plan, just need to choose a font.

Capitol police radio from the day of the attack. Right after Trump's speech. Previously unheard, only about a minute or so worth of audio.

EDIT: now videos of the protestors at the upper barricades outside of the Capitol.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I can't say I'm comfortable with any written or oral records of saying positive things about Mike Pence.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If you can't watch, just read this tweet thread

https://twitter.com/jentaub/status/1359548695038087169?s=20

https://twitter.com/jentaub/status/1359613143299870723?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Lmao, the video where they are pulling the officers, someone is blowing a shofar

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

https://twitter.com/ChadPergram/status/1359612712788103168

https://twitter.com/kathrynw5/status/1359612798679007234

E: https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1359613510074982406

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
This is all really good evidence that the attack on the capital actually happened.

Are they not going to insist that this happened only because of Trump?

I feel like if I were a (R)ep I could easily make the defense that Trump had nothing to do with these people

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Xander B Coolridge posted:

This is all really good evidence that the attack on the capital actually happened.

I feel like if I were a (R)ep I could easily make the defense that Trump had nothing to do with these people

They already did that for the last 3 hours.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

They've been doing exactly this. They literally said that very line, "If not for Trump, the attack would not have happened." A lot of it thus far has been building the case up to this point establishing Trump inciting and calling for violence up to the day.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

It's essentially going to be the Grima Wormtongue style of defense, deflection, ignoring obvious facts, and abject dismissal.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

They've made that connection multiple times. Trump planned, encouraged, and praised them start to finish.

For example, there was originally a rally planned for Jan. 22, which was changed to Jan. 6 at Trump's request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

They've been doing this all day . . .