Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

deoju posted:

I was browsing Ikea and came across this new display case that looks like it'd be pretty good for legos.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/rudsta-glass-door-cabinet-anthracite-50450137/
I love that it's more than a foot deep. Should be great for stuff like Ninjago City, which sits on a 12" x 12" base but won't fit in my enclosed shelf because of all the poo poo that sticks out and overhangs. It's the only set I have on display that isn't behind doors, and it sucks to have to dust so much.

Straight White Shark posted:

I think a lot of people were kind of disappointed by the docks but now that the gardens are out more people want the whole set.
Almost certainly, especially because it seems that Gardens kind of needs one of the others attached to it to even have access to its upper levels, which is not ideal. The original NC did a great job with making sure every minifig-occupiable space had a physical way to reach it, and I think (but don't remember for sure) Docks did the same. That's probably my single biggest disappointment in Gardens: relying on the other sets, especially because the original NC is 4 years old and hasn't been on shelves in over a year, meaning people who are just discovering these sets kind of don't really have a chance at the original without paying a fortune. It wouldn't be nearly as much of a concern if Gardens was more standalone. Like, I was sitting here for a while thinking Gardens really gave the original a run for its money (and in some ways, I truly do think it surpasses the original), but this alone is enough to drop it down comfortably below Ninjago City, IMO.

Streaming tonight at 7PM Central! Super chill, conversational, MOC-y stream tonight. Come hang out and have a chill time!

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Did you guys know that Ford Mustang station wagons are a thing?

Also, here's every Speed Champions-scale car I've made. The 30 on the left are all original, while the 10 on the right are modifications of LEGO sets or other builders' MOCs.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Carbohydrates posted:

Did you guys know that Ford Mustang station wagons are a thing?

Well, looking it up was a real rabbit hole, and I'm still not sure if Ford really did make any or not, beyond some kit versions and maybe a couple of prototypes?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They did make some prototype shooting brakes but none ever made it production. I think they're planning on a shooting brake EV Mustang though.

Everything out there you find with google is gonna be an aftermarket mod.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The Mach-E is not a shooting brake. :colbert:

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
LEGO Shop@home CSR team got back to me and is shipping me out the valentines day GWP. So if you didn't get one with your blacksmith then you can probably send an email and get one shipped out eventually.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

w00tazn posted:

LEGO Shop@home CSR team got back to me and is shipping me out the valentines day GWP. So if you didn't get one with your blacksmith then you can probably send an email and get one shipped out eventually.

I just got the same email from them.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

veni veni veni posted:

I've been monitoring some prices on Ebay because I'm like one month out from being homeless, so I'm probably going to have to axe a good chunk of my collection if I don't find a job soon. But man, the Ninjago City sets are volatile. I looked shorty before the gardens came out and it actually looked like they were dropping but now they have shot to the moon. Especially the docks.

That sucks, buddy.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I've been monitoring some prices on Ebay because I'm like one month out from being homeless, so I'm probably going to have to axe a good chunk of my collection if I don't find a job soon. But man, the Ninjago City sets are volatile. I looked shorty before the gardens came out and it actually looked like they were dropping but now they have shot to the moon. Especially the docks.

That's a real shame friend, hope things work out for you sooner rather than later.

Out of curiosity I looked up the city docks on UK eBay and it's nuts. Some have sold for £600. I guess a lot of Lego speculators have been unloading their hoard because there are loads for sale.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I wonder if there’s a way to do the Ferrari Daytona Shooting Brake by Panther. Lots of glass and interesting lines.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There's a Lego Tuk-tuk. $10 set. Kinda cute.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Earth posted:

That sucks, buddy.

mitochondritom posted:

That's a real shame friend, hope things work out for you sooner rather than later.

Thanks guys :unsmith: hopefully something works out soon.

On the bright side at least Lego is a good thing to collect for not flushing money down the toilet. Hopefully it doesn't come to that. I still have a little bit of time.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

veni veni veni posted:

On the bright side at least Lego is a good thing to collect for not flushing money down the toilet. Hopefully it doesn't come to that. I still have a little bit of time.

That’s true. I’ve told my partner if I die make sure to sell all the lego and not give it away. I have also told her at least a dozen times if we need money we can sell all the lego sets/figs except for a handful that I’ll take to the grave.

Fingers are crossed for you to get some luck.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I’m being buried with all of this like an Egyptian pharaoh, in a brick built lifesize replica of Sphinx Secret Surprise

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I found out the other day I’m in my friend’s will to get all his Lego if he passes. He’s still in his 30s, so it’s hopefully a while yet.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The_Doctor posted:

I found out the other day I’m in my friend’s will to get all his Lego if he passes. He’s still in his 30s, so it’s hopefully a while yet.

Suddenly this friend notices a suspicious uptick in near-deadly "accidents" around you

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Sorry to hear Veni, hope it turns around soon.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Scipiotik posted:

I just got the same email from them.

Likewise. Wonder why they added a second ox promo to my original order. I assumed they maybe just ran out of the valentine's promos and gave me the ox as a substitute, but apparently I have the valentine's promo on the way.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
This is a giant thread so maybe this is answered but the op is 11! Years old

Anyways my preschool aged kid is just now getting into Legos. Some are at each of his grandma's house , and he has a bunch of random bricks and a few sets that have been sent as gifts to him. What's the best way to add all this stuff into one of the websites with MOCs? Maybe some genius made a scanning app where I can dump them all on a table and it categorizes everything random into a database? Or is this just something to do by hand, part by part, if I really want to?

All he wants to do right now is make fire vehicles so for now I'm happy to just browse around and get ideas for what a 4-5 year old kid can make, but figure it's best to start tracking this sooner rather than later.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

mastershakeman posted:

This is a giant thread so maybe this is answered but the op is 11! Years old

Anyways my preschool aged kid is just now getting into Legos. Some are at each of his grandma's house , and he has a bunch of random bricks and a few sets that have been sent as gifts to him. What's the best way to add all this stuff into one of the websites with MOCs? Maybe some genius made a scanning app where I can dump them all on a table and it categorizes everything random into a database? Or is this just something to do by hand, part by part, if I really want to?

All he wants to do right now is make fire vehicles so for now I'm happy to just browse around and get ideas for what a 4-5 year old kid can make, but figure it's best to start tracking this sooner rather than later.

I do this with Brickset. Create an account, enter the set number(s) you have (or go through their massive list and tick boxes), and it will build you an inventory of the parts you have and in what colors. It'll even tell you the retail value of your collection.

I'm sure there's a better way to do this, but I don't MOC and just want a list of what I have that can easily be handed to my wife when I inevitably die in the Great Lego Avalanche of 20XX.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CommanderApaul posted:

I do this with Brickset. Create an account, enter the set number(s) you have (or go through their massive list and tick boxes), and it will build you an inventory of the parts you have and in what colors. It'll even tell you the retail value of your collection.

I'm sure there's a better way to do this, but I don't MOC and just want a list of what I have that can easily be handed to my wife when I inevitably die in the Great Lego Avalanche of 20XX.

Thanks. To be clear, it's 1 set so far and multiple bags/bins of random pieces from rummage sales

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Brickset is good for tracking sets, but it's kind of crap for managing inventories of parts. That's because a) it doesn't let you catalogue loose parts and b) because it draws inventories from the Lego site, it has incomplete or no inventories from really old sets (ie. 20+ year old sets).

Rebrickable is probably your best bet. That site lets you catalogue loose parts and it has lots of MOCs that you can get instructions for and it'll match what parts you have to what the MOC needs. Disclaimer: I don't use it myself so I have no idea how user (un)friendly it is.

As for the actual cataloguing of what you have, you'll have to do that the hard way. If you know what sets you have, you can separate those out which helps, but after that you'll have to sort and count parts and enter each one in individually.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Rebrickable will let you add sets and parts to your personal inventory (you can also flag certain sets as "not to be disassembled" if you like) and it'll then tell you what percentage you already own of any moc or official set you look at. They also have full inventories for everything on their site, it's very good.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Way back in the day I used Peeron to catalog all the sets I had. I don't think I've ever gone back to see if there's any special things it can do with that info lol.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Peeron was great. It's still around but hasn't been updated in at least ten years. There were some cool things you could do with it (like upload an Ldraw file of a MOC and it'll tell you if you had all the parts, and if not what was missing) but it's been superseded in pretty much every way by other sites these days like Rebrickable and Basebrick.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

That really sucks man... hang in there, hopefully a few of these sets can help get you through till we’re on the other side of this pandemic and you don’t have to cut too deep. Absolutely boggles my mind that the government hasn’t done more to step in and help individuals throughout all of this, I don’t know what people are thinking. If things don’t turn around in time for you, please let us know—I’d love to chip in and help out :unsmith:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I’m being buried with all of this like an Egyptian pharaoh, in a brick built lifesize replica of Sphinx Secret Surprise

A+ set pick; it was always a favorite even against my larger sets.

BRB updating my will to make sure I'm buried in a life-size glow-in-the-dark Lego ghost costume.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Ok so has anyone else had this issue?

I've ordered all the parts off bricklink for a moc and even though bricklink told me I had 100% of the pieces in my carts (and yes, 100% quantities too), I'm missing poo poo all over the place. I've gone and checked my orders, I received everything I paid for. I've checked the original parts inventory and it had the correct amount of parts there. So there's got to be something wrong with bricklink. Having to re-order all the missing parts is a massive pain and needlessly costly since the sellers I originally bought from would have had the correct amount in stock at the time so now I'm out for all this extra shipping. Frustrating.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Outdated Bricklink data in regard to updated instructions by any chance?

e: "licensed" parts by any chance?

tuo fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 12, 2021

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

tuo posted:

Outdated Bricklink data in regard to updated instructions by any chance?

e: "licensed" parts by any chance?

Possibly? Doing a manual search of the parts list file shows the right numbers though. And I also got extras of a few other parts that I only wanted 1 of. All of these things in isolation I'd write off as human error on my part or the sellers, but there's so many irregularities and as far as I can make out the sellers are correct and there's just waaaay too many issues for me to have missed all of these (I'm pretty meticulous about this).

As for "licensed" parts, I'm not quite sure what you mean sorry?

e: while on the topic of bricklink, I've had almost entirely positive experiences thankfully, buuuut for the love of god if you're a bricklink seller please double check you're getting your left and right wedge plates correct :v:

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 12, 2021

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Lizard Combatant posted:

if you're a bricklink seller please double check you're getting your left and right wedge plates correct :v:

This is such a repeat offense.

I've gotten the wrong orientation of wedges multiple times.
Have also gotten 3 length ones instead of 4 and vice versa several times.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Ineptitude posted:

Lol, same.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals
Stuck at my parents' house during lockdown, no better time to go through all my old Lego sets! Nostalgia rush is POWERFUL.

I'm wanting to get rid of the old grey pieces. Don't remember exactly when the colour changed, but I'd rather not mix them up in new builds if I can help it. Is there a market for these old colours now they aren't being printed any more? I don't think I have the patience to set up a bricklink store for the sake of a few hundred pieces, but I don't want to give them away if that's a foolish thing to do...

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Chris Pistols posted:

Stuck at my parents' house during lockdown, no better time to go through all my old Lego sets! Nostalgia rush is POWERFUL.

I'm wanting to get rid of the old grey pieces. Don't remember exactly when the colour changed, but I'd rather not mix them up in new builds if I can help it. Is there a market for these old colours now they aren't being printed any more? I don't think I have the patience to set up a bricklink store for the sake of a few hundred pieces, but I don't want to give them away if that's a foolish thing to do...
There's a market, predominantly among people looking to complete old sets, but I doubt they're particularly valuable. Most of us have moved on to exclusively using light and dark bluish gray. Some specific pieces still have value, though, like finger hinges and such.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Those would be good “fill” pieces for the inside of anything you might want to build so I’d hang on to them. Too much effort to sell, too valuable to give away = keep and enjoy

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
They’re also okay for giving some visual variety to natural rock formations, especially when they get all “mossy” looking from being sun-yellowed. Breaks up the monotony of light bluish and dark bluish greys.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

They’re also okay for giving some visual variety to natural rock formations, especially when they get all “mossy” looking from being sun-yellowed. Breaks up the monotony of light bluish and dark bluish greys.

Great idea, hadn’t thought of that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Great for grungy buildings too. Strategic placement of "clean" light bluish grey next to old grey instantly makes the place look filthy and unwashed.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Ineptitude posted:

tbh, when I have to search wedges form a pile, I always keep the first "correct" one in one hand to compare all the other ones my brain thinks are correct to it (like that one thing in Portal 2 with the master part and the copy). My brain somehow fails at picking the correct ones out of a pile.

I'm also bad at tetris99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Chris Pistols posted:

People like me who mostly focus on vintage stuff hoard old gray. Restoring sets via Bricklink can be tricky because a lot of people don't bother to note the subtle difference. Whatcha got?