Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Oh dude I keep forgetting. My mom has a old 50's convertable high-chair / kids table thing with chrome legs and aqua cushions. Do you need that sort of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Love the glass bias-ply tires.

Guessing that the caps are held on to the artillery wheels with either clips on the spokes, or a piece of baling wire.

Those have to be about the very last generation of wooden-spoke artillery wheels, or they were made for a truck. Or both. No newer than 1933.
If they're truly solid they might be fine.

The frame looks good & beefy, and the tongue is way overbuilt and appears properly welded. Great base for a project, but you sure as poo poo don't want a hangar queen.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

I wouldn't tow that anywhere without it being rebuilt

I would. Maybe check the bearings for lube and proper set but any trailer that doesn't have wide gaping holes in structural elements should be able to bear its own weight for a single trip at a reasonable speed.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

Mr-Spain posted:

Oh dude I keep forgetting. My mom has a old 50's convertable high-chair / kids table thing with chrome legs and aqua cushions. Do you need that sort of thing?

show me!

Darchangel posted:

The caps really threw me, since those belong on steel wheels of some sort. Kind of curious how those are attached, since the hub on the woodies should be just a bit bigger than the bolt pattern. Like maybe a 6" cap.
Personally, I think the trailer is neat, and just needs a once over to ensure the frame is solid, and new wood. Or better wood, at any rate. I've certainly seen sketchier.

yeah, thats a pretty weird one to me too - I really just need to go look at the drat thing again.

PainterofCrap posted:

Love the glass bias-ply tires.

Guessing that the caps are held on to the artillery wheels with either clips on the spokes, or a piece of baling wire.

Those have to be about the very last generation of wooden-spoke artillery wheels, or they were made for a truck. Or both. No newer than 1933.
If they're truly solid they might be fine.

The frame looks good & beefy, and the tongue is way overbuilt and appears properly welded. Great base for a project, but you sure as poo poo don't want a hangar queen.

the biggest problem is storage, so if it lives at my house then there would be no choice to keep it outside :(

Turbo Fondant posted:

I would. Maybe check the bearings for lube and proper set but any trailer that doesn't have wide gaping holes in structural elements should be able to bear its own weight for a single trip at a reasonable speed.

the thing lives about a block from my house - I dont have a hitch for it so our plan is to use a D- ring to at least get it to my house, then it may go to my other friends house and get the full work on the tongue done (if I even make it that far with it, AND if my friend who will do the work on it survives covid)

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

The tray slides in and locks on, and the chair locks into the table. It's sturdy and the tray closes tight enough I've never had one of my three kids climb out.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

LobsterboyX posted:

show me!

yeah, thats a pretty weird one to me too - I really just need to go look at the drat thing again.

the biggest problem is storage, so if it lives at my house then there would be no choice to keep it outside :(

the thing lives about a block from my house - I dont have a hitch for it so our plan is to use a D- ring to at least get it to my house, then it may go to my other friends house and get the full work on the tongue done (if I even make it that far with it, AND if my friend who will do the work on it survives covid)

Tote it home like a rickshaw.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

^

Tongue weight won't be much on that thing, hand bomb it.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
On my grandfather’s farm there was an big old trailer that had four aircraft wheels and tires, like the main wheels off a Harvard or something. He would have probably used it as a machinery float when was doing custom farming in the fifties. I wish I had photos of it, I’ve never seen anything else like it.

The wheels were likely surplus from one of the training bases that were in the area.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
At some point just pull the good bits like the awesome wheels and plate and toss the rest in the dump. This is coming from someone who owns over 20 cars.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Well, things escalated quickly with this.

Long story short - this belonged to my best friends (2 brothers) dad - he passed away 1 day before my mother did in 2015 - my mom and his dad were friends, me and the brothers are friends, and our kids are now friends. Fred was a lot like me, loved old poo poo - This trailer had helped him build his house and was useful to him from when he got it in the mid 60s until a few years before his passing. The brothers families are growing, and once they took over the property, things have to change - I had mentioned a few years back that it would be fun to build this trailer in to a little camper and I guess that stuck with them - They are having some work done to their property and needed this thing out ASAP - so bam - along with a bunch of antiques and crap from the house that was too cool to throw away

so its... here... it towed actually pretty well, the tires are still soft and hold air - they have a date stamp of 08 on them, so they're not that old - you can still see markings on them, I guess fred bought new tires for it at some point.

the tongue is pretty sketchy - we took the ball off a standard hitch and used the pin to go thru the hole and cotter pinned it in

I got to investigate the underside of this thing and sure enough, its a car front end thats welded straight, with leaf springs and the original frame of this car - no brakes and the wheels are wood spoked with the lug bolt holes thru the loving wood.

you can see how they welded some other iron in there to block the wheels from turning.

I don't have a clue what car this could be from, but it has to be something from the 20's or early 30s - its not a ford or a chevy - one friend guessed Buick, which is fitting.

so all in all, I cant keep this thing, I threw it up on IG for sale for $500, but I really have to get all the crap out of it including that 40's craftsman table saw out - I cant do it alone, it weighs a loving ton.

In addition to the saw, I got a flat file drawer, a few old telephones, a router table, a ancient grinder with motor, and a 81 Chicago Schwinn

also up for grabs is this 6mpg 454 crew cab dually

80k original miles.

I also finally received something I made a deal on before the pandemic started, it came from a friend, and being that it was rather expensive, as the pandemic struck, he allowed me to pay him slowly.

This is the Colonial Model 700 "New World" Globe Radio from 1933 - this is a grail piece for me, as it was designed by one of my favorite designer Raymond Loewy

heres more info on them: https://antiqueradio.org/col01.htm

theres a bit more to this story, but it's still kinda up in the air.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That radio is spectacular.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

If your friends don't know, a crew cab square body is a hot hot item right now. Don't let them give it away for a steal.

Also lmao at the posters calling that trailer beefy and sturdy, based on almost no information. The wheels are super cool though. I wonder what the tire shop said in 2008, or did he mount them himself?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

From a different thread, something that will probably appeal to you:

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Check out this sick posting rig

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

I really want to know what they were charging for that

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

https://www.earlytelevision.org/kuba.html

Apparently $1260, or ~$10k today. Reading some more, it's more than the average salary in West Germany.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 2, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Midjack posted:

Holy poo poo. My wife is going to plotz when she sees this

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
HURRGGGGGG A KUBA loving KOMET - I almost bought one a while back, got snaked hardcore on it, it was already super expensive, very very expensive.. but someone put up 4x what I was offering on it and I just couldn't compete- link to the other thread... is that in a store or for sale?

I've always thought about building a surround to a modern TV to mimic the look of one.

these things are truly works of art...

just look at what lives in the bottom part:

I've been able to really look over one of these that was in the process of being restored by a master - these are really special, what is never really shown in photos of them is how deep the top triangle part is, and how complex the joinery is to create it - they also swivel on a giant cast magnesium lazy susan lookin thing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The other thread is a “post pics you found” thread; the Komet appears to be in a store but I don’t have any additional context. I can ask the person who posted it though.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That is definitely an antique/collectible collective somewhere, in someone's booth.

I doubt that it is in Adamstown PA, but I'll keep an eye out for it when I'm there in two weeks.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That TV is amazing.

That radio is definitely cool as.

Echoing angryrobots on the squarebody.

And I'd argue that the trailer is no more dangerous than the average Harbor Freight trailer... :P
You got some neat old tools there, too!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

LobsterboyX posted:

This is the Colonial Model 700 "New World" Globe Radio from 1933 - this is a grail piece for me, as it was designed by one of my favorite designer Raymond Loewy

Hoooooly poo poo. That is one beautiful piece of art. Is it in working condition? (I think we all know the answer already..)

Midjack posted:

:gizz:

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Midjack posted:

The other thread is a “post pics you found” thread; the Komet appears to be in a store but I don’t have any additional context. I can ask the person who posted it though.

please!

STR posted:

Hoooooly poo poo. That is one beautiful piece of art. Is it in working condition? (I think we all know the answer already..)

:gizz:

it is not working... theres more to this story, but I'm waiting on a few things to fall in line before I go posting about it.

Darchangel posted:

That TV is amazing.

That radio is definitely cool as.

Echoing angryrobots on the squarebody.

And I'd argue that the trailer is no more dangerous than the average Harbor Freight trailer... :P
You got some neat old tools there, too!

They know the value of the square body for sure, they haven't really been advertising it other than word of mouth - we all had some great times in that truck growing up as kids - it was the camping machine, our families would take yearly trips to the sierras in and around this thing, and as adults, we'd use it for any rough duty stuff we were doing, pulling old cars and alike - my mom and their dad passed within a day of eachother, so its kinda been sitting for the last 5 years - if you saw this thing on the street you knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was Fred, if you pulled up on him it was assuredly "well what the gently caress are you doing round these parts"

I was messing with the trailer yesterday, took some measurements on the wheels and frame and miraculously the thing is pretty straight, less than a quarter inch of deflection on the frame and the wheels are really true. as much as I'd love to keep this thing I already offered it up for sale for a measly $500

This trailer was loaded with stuff when they brought it over - and its been a big task unloading it and figuring it all out by myself -

I'm also beyond frustrated with my tow hitch on my Lexus - at the moment I don't have a car I can even tow this trailer with - I'm about to break and just go buy an under the bumper hitch receiver rather than try to modify all my poo poo to fit this stupid rear end in the bumper thing.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Is that not a standard square receiver, pin through the back?

It looks like a "throw a ball adapter in it and call it good" but I feel like I'm missing something.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Is that not a standard square receiver, pin through the back?

It looks like a "throw a ball adapter in it and call it good" but I feel like I'm missing something.

any normal hitch you put in the thing hits the full sized spare tire before you can get the pin in it - the only way I was able to tow my car trailer with the roadster on it was to live dangerously and go without the spare tire on a borrowed/modified ball hitch. In addition to that, I had to grind the hell out of my hitches to be able to fit in it - its not a standard at all, its 2 inch, but its almost slightly undersized

I bought a "shorty" hitch and that is not long enough to clear the bumper and the two little chain rings -

its also a bit high..

so in other words, its a pain in the rear end with it being in the bumper, there -

to me this is the answer:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Draw-Tite/75095.html

or

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Lexus/LX+470/2005/13443.html?VehicleID=20057997

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Toyota dealerships have a free shipping deal going right now up to $200 free. I have a 92 Cruiser on the way and I’ve already said too much. Yes I’m adding a LHD to the fleet my oldest has been begging...more to come

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

LobsterboyX posted:

any normal hitch you put in the thing hits the full sized spare tire before you can get the pin in it - the only way I was able to tow my car trailer with the roadster on it was to live dangerously and go without the spare tire on a borrowed/modified ball hitch. In addition to that, I had to grind the hell out of my hitches to be able to fit in it - its not a standard at all, its 2 inch, but its almost slightly undersized

I bought a "shorty" hitch and that is not long enough to clear the bumper and the two little chain rings -

its also a bit high..

so in other words, its a pain in the rear end with it being in the bumper, there -

to me this is the answer:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Draw-Tite/75095.html

Holy what a pain in the neck! That's a seriously lousy design coming from Toyota. Do they offer a factory hitch for it or something? Regardless the owner shouldn't have to crawl on the ground to fasten the pin. Bad user experience.

The hitch preserved in your quote is what I'd suggest. No square tube exhaust thing to distort under a heavy load or limit exhaust options.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
tell me about it - I had an earlier land cruiser many years ago that had an under the bumper hitch like the one I'm about to buy, but from the factory - the newer generations of them had them in the bumper so that it could be a universal hitch where you could buy different inserts for the different types of hitches in other countries. I've been trying to find some better pics of the install on the drawtite to see if it actually does clear the tire...

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm thinking that Somewhat Heroic dealt with this in his thread at one point?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
well - away she went - It went to probably the best person it could go to - a guy with lots of land, no intention of registering it and a classic truck to pull it in the 4th of july parade.

also processed this one pretty quick

to this:

and out the door.

next up on the dockett - rebuilding the power steering pump from the 54 - fun!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
carb day!

my buddy finished rebuilding these little fellas and they honestly came out way better than I thought they would...

also, here's a quick rundown of vintage Ford carbs

so the 81's came on the mini v8 I posted about before, the V8-60, the 97 came on flathead v8's and the 94's came on later flattys and the 50's Y blocks...

also, I guess I've never had a clean enough early carb to see this:

a little setting on the rod that controls the accelerator pump - S and W.. I had to do some digging to figure out what this means, but essentially, the W seems to give a bit more of a squirt to the pump... hm... why would you need more gas? Summer and Winter! cute!

finally got someone over here to help me move this cool old thing

needs a rewire, belt and blade, but she functions... sketchy as hell... as is. its a 40s era craftsman so it fits in with my other equipment already.

ahh, seems like things are getting going around here..

so.. why..... do... I.... punish... myself..... so... much.......

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

finally got someone over here to help me move this cool old thing

needs a rewire, belt and blade, but she functions... sketchy as hell... as is. its a 40s era craftsman so it fits in with my other equipment already.

Please tell me you're going to add at least a riving knife to that death trap.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Yes, add more knives!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Please tell me you're going to add at least a riving knife to that death trap.

big convo over in the tool thread right now about that very issue - looking in to it for sure.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Got a package... been waiting a while for this package...

The peterson automotive museum here in LA was a field trip location when it first opened in the mid 90s. It was one of those "hey this is new lets take this middle school class there" - they had a grand street scene that has since been removed, a journey of cars from the brass era to the 60s - in the 40s and 50s area, they had a speed shop scene, the shelves were stocked with all kinds of go fast parts for all kinds of cars - being that weird kid that loved vintage cars even at a young age, I fixated on one of the pieces there, it was the biggest one, with the most crap on it.. it always stuck out in my mind - over the years other people have said "remember that intake with all those carbs at the peterson?"

That piece was a Howard 6x2 intake for a big series buick inline 8 - there's one there, now there's one in my garage.

there is no reason for this thing to exist - and there is little to no information about them or is there any info on how many were made - other than who made them and where they were made - Howard's speed parts, Compton CA - I've seen and know of only 5 of these.

one of them being: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DS6wIhOsZ4

in a 1947 buick going over 160mph

Why? because I wanted it - the idea is now to build my belly tank around this insanity.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LobsterboyX posted:

Got a package... been waiting a while for this package...

The peterson automotive museum here in LA was a field trip location when it first opened in the mid 90s. It was one of those "hey this is new lets take this middle school class there" - they had a grand street scene that has since been removed, a journey of cars from the brass era to the 60s - in the 40s and 50s area, they had a speed shop scene, the shelves were stocked with all kinds of go fast parts for all kinds of cars - being that weird kid that loved vintage cars even at a young age, I fixated on one of the pieces there, it was the biggest one, with the most crap on it.. it always stuck out in my mind - over the years other people have said "remember that intake with all those carbs at the peterson?"

That piece was a Howard 6x2 intake for a big series buick inline 8 - there's one there, now there's one in my garage.

there is no reason for this thing to exist - and there is little to no information about them or is there any info on how many were made - other than who made them and where they were made - Howard's speed parts, Compton CA - I've seen and know of only 5 of these.

one of them being: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DS6wIhOsZ4

in a 1947 buick going over 160mph

Why? because I wanted it - the idea is now to build my belly tank around this insanity.

:aaaaa:

This is EXTREMELY my poo poo. That’s loving incredible. I won’t ask what it cost, but I am going to ask how long it took you to track the thing down after you got the first sniff.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:worship:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Holy loving rear end. I know you said you want it for your belly tanker but you've got to be at least a little tempted to toss it on the Buick.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That looks like the dictionary definition of the word, "awesome."

How the hell does the linkage set-up function? You'd need a gas pedal the size of a skateboard to exert enough leverage to move six springs!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That is insane and awesome and I k ow if anyone should have it it’s you. Unbelievable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Holy loving rear end. I know you said you want it for your belly tanker but you've got to be at least a little tempted to toss it on the Buick.

I mean, you gotta test and make sure it works, right?