Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Patlabor 2 rocks hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

net work error posted:

Patlabor 2 rocks hard

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

net work error posted:

I demand someone else watch the 2000 Boogiepop Phantom.

very boring but I love the concept of a low-fi look. only the opening really delivers tho

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Alright, so, thinking more about Gurren Lagann, what struck me was just how quietly leftist they are.

Now, don't get me wrong: this is not a treatise on Marxism or some grand statement on leftist thought. It's a series about gigantic robots hitting one another, and it leans into that hard. The robots literally run on the burning conviction and passion that the pilot and those watching will succeed, and much of the series is almost an anti-Evangelion in that it's about overcoming depression and learning to try again if you fail or make a mistake.

It's also nakedly about the positive aspects of masculinity, and how growing past a more primitive understanding of them is necessary for society to grow.

The team's home base literally has a gigantic erection all the time, for example.

That said, something I noticed on reflection was that, unlike shows where the great and powerful protagonist is the greatest and most powerful in the world, and is the only one who can do what he does, in GL it is show repeatedly that collective action and trust in others are the only way to succeed, and that, to quote Bruce Springsteen, "Nobody wins, unless everybody wins". And incidentally, much of the early show is about stealing progressively larger mecha from the ruling class and using their tools against them.

We get glimpses of the collectivist themes in the early episodes, where Kamina refuses to do things unless Simon is brought along, how much more powerful their mecha are when they combine, and even how Kamina, the burning, passionate, typical shonen protagonist, trusts Simon's plan to defeat one of the enemies, despite it looking like he's running away they way he was chastised for a few episodes previous.

Probably the best example of it's praise of collective action comes from a story Simon tells about the time he and Kamina were trapped in a landslide. They're stuck, and don't know where they're going, and the only reason that Simon can keep digging is because Kamina is cheering and upbeat about how they're sure to succeed and can't possibly fail. A couple episodes later, Yoko says that she'd heard the same story from Kamina, but from his point of view: Kamina was terrified and scared that they were all going to die, but watching Simon diligently dig without ceasing gave him the confidence to keep going on, to try and be worthy of his blood brother's hard work. Without working together, they would be nothing.

And it's not even just the pair of them who are important. After episode eight, where Kamina dies, the show and movement keep going on. He was an important figurehead, and they'll never forget him, but he also wasn't the only reason they succeeded. In stark contrast to "chosen one" narratives, even Simon's great skill and power are repeatedly shown to be not enough to succeed on his own, and his function as an inspirational and aspirational figure is much more important. By driving others to be the best they can be, everyone working together can beat impossible odds. It's like a shonen version of the Stakhanovite movement (and, incidentally, Simon is literally a miner when the show starts).

The first big hit in the "Everyone Matters" theme is in episode five, where the team crashes into an underground village that practices strict population control. Their leader, a creepy priest guy, has determined that the village cannot sustain more than a hundred people, and if there is an excess, those people must be sacrificed to the enemy mecha, who they worship. It's very anti-religion. As one might guess, our heroes take along with them the two kids who were 101 and 102, rather than letting them die, and also pick up Rossiu, the priest's adopted son. Before Rossiu leaves, he has a long conversation with his adopted father, who tells him the truth about everything: how he can't even read the book he constantly carries around, how he was only trying to keep his people safe, how the enemy is awful but will kill them if they try to rebel... and we get the sense that, despite having made some horrible decisions, this isn't a bad or malicious person, merely someone who came to the wrong conclusions. If he simply told the truth, rather than taking on all the responsibility himself, it's likely the village would pull together and provide for all, rather than being tricked into giving up on some of it's members.

Then, in episode fifteen we finally battle the Spiral King, the leader of the enemy forces that have kept humanity trapped underground. And, it turns out, that he was once a heroic kid just like Simon, who battled an even larger enemy, and fell into a deep depression when he came to the conclusion that he could never beat them. He instead turned on his allies, returned to his home planet, and conquered it, keeping the populace trapped underground where, at least, they could live and be safe from the greater threat. It's the same as in the village from episode five, but writ on a planetary scale: some people have to be given up on and a great lie told, in order to keep people safe.

And then, in episode twenty, it happens again. Rossiu's plan to evacuate the earth will result in all those left behind dying. He can't see another way out, so he does the best he can. And by doing so, plays right into the enemy's hands, because they fully expect him to do this, and have a plan to destroy not only the earth, but also the evacuation ship. Needless to say, our heroes band together and drive off the bad guys, rather than running, and decide to take the fight to the enemy's homeworld. A couple episodes later, Rossiu disappears, and Simon and Kinon search for him. Rossiu is intending on committing suicide, because he feels that he has failed everyone, and he doesn't deserve to live after the mistakes he's made. Instead, he gets a sock to the jaw and a reminder that he was just doing the best he could. He's not a bad person for trying to help everyone the only way he knew how. They still need him and love him, and he's an essential part of the team.

Finally, in the last episodes we learn the origins of the Anti-Spirals. They have sacrificed themselves into a matrix-like system in order to keep the entire universe tamped down and under control, so that the Spiral energy possessed by the heroes won't tear apart the fabric of reality. Their fundamentally conservative ideology is that change and evolution are bad and will destroy the universe, and the only way to keep the universe safe is by controlling people through the infliction of depression and hopelessness. They are represented by a solitary, badly drawn man, in contrast to the cast of individuals that make up our heroes. Our heroes, by this point, also include Viral, a top fighter for the Spiral King and Kamina's rival during the first half of the show, as well as a cloned version of the Spiral King himself. There are no enemies in a grand sense, just people with different views on how to save the world, and even if they made mistakes, they're still essential once they've seen the light (see, for example, Amber Frost's story about an organizer who was baffled at what to do when an alt-right guy wanted to join her union. Frost's reply was, "Then you've won! A union isn't a social club, it's about getting a closed shop in opposition to the bosses"). And, what's more, we're shown that many, many others have made it to this point before. Our heroes are not special. They aren't chosen heroes of destiny who can do what no other could possibly achieve. But it also doesn't matter that others have tried and failed. As a group, through hard work, they can succeed.

It's a relentlessly optimistic show, in case you hadn't picked up on that. Is it, like, an adaptation of The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Napoleon? No, definitely not. But the way it slides in leftist thought alongside gigantic robot battles is rather fun.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

worst take i've heard about a Ghibli movie since that viral tumblr post about how Spirited Way is about child trafficking

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

in patlabor i liked how the big mechsuit's standard weapon is just an enormous revolver

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

wolfs posted:

wait where’s the incest in grave of the fireflies

Dr. Killjoy posted:

worst take i've heard about a Ghibli movie since that viral tumblr post about how Spirited Way is about child trafficking

It's what the movie is about. The author of the story gave interviews about it.

https://iwatchanimebecauseprettycolors.wordpress.com/2016/12/13/animage-1987-interview-isao-takahata-and-akiyuki-nosaka-part-one/

quote:

Nosaka: In fact, when it comes to reality, that boy isn’t such a romanticist. After all, he gets hungry too. But objectively speaking, Setsuko is four years old, the age when a girl looks the cutest. And a 14-to-15 years old boy is at the age when he’s becoming aware of his masculinity, ergo his ego. That kind of pair heads into a life that includes the two of them. There’s an obvious consanguineous relationship there. The only person he can exchange words with is his sister, but while there’s a strong blood-tie, he’s shut out from being able to lover her as a girl. His tension grows high–hence a sublimation takes place.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

apparently that's a thing in the book (based on the author's experiences?) but ghibli thankfully removed all that poo poo from there as far as i can tell

the difference in how the story is perceived is interesting, in Japan it's considered a sad double suicide story where instead of keeping their head down and working with the aunt that takes them in they decide to shun society instead and die, whereas in countries with more of an individualistic culture it's a war tragedy where they fail to make it

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Maya Fey posted:

in patlabor i liked how the big mechsuit's standard weapon is just an enormous revolver

Going to the Famimart to stock up on onigiri because the feds are trying to take away my giant mech revolver.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Maya Fey posted:

apparently that's a thing in the book (based on the author's experiences?) but ghibli thankfully removed all that poo poo from there as far as i can tell

the difference in how the story is perceived is interesting, in Japan it's considered a sad double suicide story where instead of keeping their head down and working with the aunt that takes them in they decide to shun society instead and die, whereas in countries with more of an individualistic culture it's a war tragedy where they fail to make it
i thought it was both. anyone have a link to the spirited away tumblr post?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I imagine the author has a lot of complicated feelings about what happened considered his sister died and he lived, and one of the major changes he made in the short story was that he killed off the character representing him as well.

But, as long as we're sharing hot takes about Grave of the Fireflies I remember a take someone on these forums had a year or two back that was that Grave of the Fireflies was right-wing and problematic because it depicted the bombing of Japan as a bad thing and asked the viewer to sympathize with citizens of a country that had been inflicting atrocities on China.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Lostconfused posted:

That's because Mamoru Oshii is very CSPAM

Just read one of his interviews here http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/interviews/oshii_on_mt.html

Oh Dang, I didn't know he did beautiful dreamer.

Lmao at Ghibli Chairman Miyazaki

Goon Boots has issued a correction as of 21:06 on Jan 27, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oshii has done some amazing work, but it is best to not read any interviews with him. dude has a knack for saying infuriatingly dumb poo poo.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

christmas boots posted:

But, as long as we're sharing hot takes about Grave of the Fireflies I remember a take someone on these forums had a year or two back that was that Grave of the Fireflies was right-wing and problematic because it depicted the bombing of Japan as a bad thing and asked the viewer to sympathize with citizens of a country that had been inflicting atrocities on China.

loving :psyboom:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I will always love oshii but I'm mad that vlad love is a bust. anyway he's incredibly right about Miyazaki

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-x65yPMBDw

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

christmas boots posted:

I imagine the author has a lot of complicated feelings about what happened considered his sister died and he lived, and one of the major changes he made in the short story was that he killed off the character representing him as well.

The take I usually see for Grave being right-wing is that it's a movie that tells the youth to stop complaining because their elders had it worse.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

christmas boots posted:

the libs in this forum come up with some absolute brain genius takes dont they. like Firefighters Are Reactionary guy

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Alright, so, thinking more about Gurren Lagann, what struck me was just how quietly leftist they are.

Now, don't get me wrong: this is not a treatise on Marxism or some grand statement on leftist thought. It's a series about gigantic robots hitting one another, and it leans into that hard. The robots literally run on the burning conviction and passion that the pilot and those watching will succeed, and much of the series is almost an anti-Evangelion in that it's about overcoming depression and learning to try again if you fail or make a mistake.

It's also nakedly about the positive aspects of masculinity, and how growing past a more primitive understanding of them is necessary for society to grow.

The team's home base literally has a gigantic erection all the time, for example.

That said, something I noticed on reflection was that, unlike shows where the great and powerful protagonist is the greatest and most powerful in the world, and is the only one who can do what he does, in GL it is show repeatedly that collective action and trust in others are the only way to succeed, and that, to quote Bruce Springsteen, "Nobody wins, unless everybody wins". And incidentally, much of the early show is about stealing progressively larger mecha from the ruling class and using their tools against them.

We get glimpses of the collectivist themes in the early episodes, where Kamina refuses to do things unless Simon is brought along, how much more powerful their mecha are when they combine, and even how Kamina, the burning, passionate, typical shonen protagonist, trusts Simon's plan to defeat one of the enemies, despite it looking like he's running away they way he was chastised for a few episodes previous.

Probably the best example of it's praise of collective action comes from a story Simon tells about the time he and Kamina were trapped in a landslide. They're stuck, and don't know where they're going, and the only reason that Simon can keep digging is because Kamina is cheering and upbeat about how they're sure to succeed and can't possibly fail. A couple episodes later, Yoko says that she'd heard the same story from Kamina, but from his point of view: Kamina was terrified and scared that they were all going to die, but watching Simon diligently dig without ceasing gave him the confidence to keep going on, to try and be worthy of his blood brother's hard work. Without working together, they would be nothing.

And it's not even just the pair of them who are important. After episode eight, where Kamina dies, the show and movement keep going on. He was an important figurehead, and they'll never forget him, but he also wasn't the only reason they succeeded. In stark contrast to "chosen one" narratives, even Simon's great skill and power are repeatedly shown to be not enough to succeed on his own, and his function as an inspirational and aspirational figure is much more important. By driving others to be the best they can be, everyone working together can beat impossible odds. It's like a shonen version of the Stakhanovite movement (and, incidentally, Simon is literally a miner when the show starts).

The first big hit in the "Everyone Matters" theme is in episode five, where the team crashes into an underground village that practices strict population control. Their leader, a creepy priest guy, has determined that the village cannot sustain more than a hundred people, and if there is an excess, those people must be sacrificed to the enemy mecha, who they worship. It's very anti-religion. As one might guess, our heroes take along with them the two kids who were 101 and 102, rather than letting them die, and also pick up Rossiu, the priest's adopted son. Before Rossiu leaves, he has a long conversation with his adopted father, who tells him the truth about everything: how he can't even read the book he constantly carries around, how he was only trying to keep his people safe, how the enemy is awful but will kill them if they try to rebel... and we get the sense that, despite having made some horrible decisions, this isn't a bad or malicious person, merely someone who came to the wrong conclusions. If he simply told the truth, rather than taking on all the responsibility himself, it's likely the village would pull together and provide for all, rather than being tricked into giving up on some of it's members.

Then, in episode fifteen we finally battle the Spiral King, the leader of the enemy forces that have kept humanity trapped underground. And, it turns out, that he was once a heroic kid just like Simon, who battled an even larger enemy, and fell into a deep depression when he came to the conclusion that he could never beat them. He instead turned on his allies, returned to his home planet, and conquered it, keeping the populace trapped underground where, at least, they could live and be safe from the greater threat. It's the same as in the village from episode five, but writ on a planetary scale: some people have to be given up on and a great lie told, in order to keep people safe.

And then, in episode twenty, it happens again. Rossiu's plan to evacuate the earth will result in all those left behind dying. He can't see another way out, so he does the best he can. And by doing so, plays right into the enemy's hands, because they fully expect him to do this, and have a plan to destroy not only the earth, but also the evacuation ship. Needless to say, our heroes band together and drive off the bad guys, rather than running, and decide to take the fight to the enemy's homeworld. A couple episodes later, Rossiu disappears, and Simon and Kinon search for him. Rossiu is intending on committing suicide, because he feels that he has failed everyone, and he doesn't deserve to live after the mistakes he's made. Instead, he gets a sock to the jaw and a reminder that he was just doing the best he could. He's not a bad person for trying to help everyone the only way he knew how. They still need him and love him, and he's an essential part of the team.

Finally, in the last episodes we learn the origins of the Anti-Spirals. They have sacrificed themselves into a matrix-like system in order to keep the entire universe tamped down and under control, so that the Spiral energy possessed by the heroes won't tear apart the fabric of reality. Their fundamentally conservative ideology is that change and evolution are bad and will destroy the universe, and the only way to keep the universe safe is by controlling people through the infliction of depression and hopelessness. They are represented by a solitary, badly drawn man, in contrast to the cast of individuals that make up our heroes. Our heroes, by this point, also include Viral, a top fighter for the Spiral King and Kamina's rival during the first half of the show, as well as a cloned version of the Spiral King himself. There are no enemies in a grand sense, just people with different views on how to save the world, and even if they made mistakes, they're still essential once they've seen the light (see, for example, Amber Frost's story about an organizer who was baffled at what to do when an alt-right guy wanted to join her union. Frost's reply was, "Then you've won! A union isn't a social club, it's about getting a closed shop in opposition to the bosses"). And, what's more, we're shown that many, many others have made it to this point before. Our heroes are not special. They aren't chosen heroes of destiny who can do what no other could possibly achieve. But it also doesn't matter that others have tried and failed. As a group, through hard work, they can succeed.

It's a relentlessly optimistic show, in case you hadn't picked up on that. Is it, like, an adaptation of The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Napoleon? No, definitely not. But the way it slides in leftist thought alongside gigantic robot battles is rather fun.

yeah I was late to the game watching Gurren Lagann and recently rewatched it with my wife. I was a little blown away with how consistently and maturely it addresses conflict originating from differing values rather than relying any kind of actual evil overlord clutch. On top of that, cooperation and understanding are the weapon to defeat every single obstacle. Handled poorly this would probably come off as a dumb morality tale but the ever increasing escalation is executed perfectly. I thought it would be a dumb meme based on all the dumb memes but it's really a one in a million lefty show and honestly some kind of masterpiece in presentation.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

so I forgot to keep up with the Discotek release of Hajime no Ippo and :drat: looks like it has already sold out everywhere I've seen online

loving dope, hope it keeps up and we get New Challenger and Rising down the line (and fingers crossed Madhouse does another season in the future)

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
*bong rip*

FLCL was an early anti-globalist anime in that the poorly defined but ultimate villain of the series, the alien corporation Medical Mechanica plotted to iron out the wrinkles of the planet, thus making it perfectly smooth, perfectly spherical (or as ardent free market capitalist Thomas Friedman would put it, flat) as such creating a frictionless environment for the pursuit of trade

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Akudama Drive is the best anime in years go watch it

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

I watched Patlabor 2 the other day and now this happens.

https://thehill.com/policy/international/asia-pacific/536717-japan-demands-restoration-of-democracy-in-myanmar

quote:

Japan's government demanded the return of democratic rule in Myanmar on Monday, hours after reports indicated that the country's armed forces had arrested State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi and initiated a coup.

Patlabor 2 starts with a UN occupation of Cambodia involving Japanese soldiers.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i've now caught up with yuru camp. very good

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Good soup! posted:

so I forgot to keep up with the Discotek release of Hajime no Ippo and :drat: looks like it has already sold out everywhere I've seen online

loving dope, hope it keeps up and we get New Challenger and Rising down the line (and fingers crossed Madhouse does another season in the future)

As someone who loves the show, and follows the manga, I'm ok if they don't make any more of the anime. I think it ended at a really good and hopeful point. If they did make new seasons, there's a lot they should cut out imo. And I dont see how you could do the last three years (since ippo retired

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Xaris posted:

i've now caught up with yuru camp. very good

its a very good example of the healing genre

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mirello posted:

As someone who loves the show, and follows the manga, I'm ok if they don't make any more of the anime. I think it ended at a really good and hopeful point. If they did make new seasons, there's a lot they should cut out imo. And I dont see how you could do the last three years (since ippo retired

I can see that yeah, but I'd still like to see more just for the sake of seeing them try to animate Woli (lmao) and seeing Ippo with his brains scrambled might be good because Takamura and Sendo are both a million times cooler at this point imo

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/tvtuners/status/1357520115009544198?s=20

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

"A Case For The Australia Incident" - Side 7 Times: Democracy Dies In Darkness

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

watching burn the witch, only got about five minutes in before they dropped the totally bonkers statistic that in this world, 72% of deaths are attributable to dragons

for reference in the real world 73% of deaths are attributable to non-communicable diseases

dragons are twice as deadly as heart disease

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
who ever said percent goes from 1-100?

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

This Dragon, Heart Disease

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

watching burn the witch, only got about five minutes in before they dropped the totally bonkers statistic that in this world, 72% of deaths are attributable to dragons

for reference in the real world 73% of deaths are attributable to non-communicable diseases

dragons are twice as deadly as heart disease

death by dragon from breathing in toxic fumes from fires and probably their poo

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

are you a bad enough dude to find out why "astolfo" is trending

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Maya Fey posted:

are you a bad enough dude to find out why "astolfo" is trending

god drat that guys dick is huge

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

New episodes of Vlad Love out and there are some incredible references including an extended Patlabor 2 scene which was just :discourse:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

net work error posted:

I demand someone else watch the 2000 Boogiepop Phantom.

Got my DVD box set right here. Waiting to show it to my kids, if DVD players still exist by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

holy loving poo poo, that latest higurashi episode