Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

that sounds vaguely like an adventure 3 type game and i'm down for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Procrastine posted:

TLDR:
  • We're not getting Mania 2 or other "Classic Sonic" stuff

Why would we, those games would be good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Please don't let Dimps near Sonic again

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It sounds like they kinda missed what made Sonic Mania so well-received? Like it wasn't just that it was 'classic' and pixely. It was also that it was good in a way that other 2D games haven't matched. It seems silly not to follow up that talent, even if they commissioned the Mania team to create a game with Modern Sonic and higher res graphics.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

kirbysuperstar posted:

Please don't let Dimps near Sonic again

Dimps's fall from "this is the good Sonic game" with Rush in 2005 to where they ended up is kind of sad

Though I guess it's hard to tell how much was them just looking worse by comparison with Sonic Team actually putting out good games for a while with UCG, whether they were maybe dealing with reduced budgets, or they just got comfortable and turned crud out or lost interest once they were "adapting" ST games or what

Like, for whatever you could say about Sonic Rush in terms of the design around bottomless pits, it was an incredibly self assured game with its own identity.

Though then you get into the Sonic 4 games where we know at least the first was designed initially as a non numbered mobile focused game

So like, I wouldn't be excited for the announcement of a new Dimps game, but I feel like there's a land of contrasts thing going on there with what Sega wants or lets them do

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

For all their ups and downs, I still love the Advance and Rush games, and I am super down for another modern 2D game.

Sonic 4 mainly suffered from a complete split personality. It wanted to be slick and modern but also ape the slower, heavier platforming of old, so it had this movement engine that probably would have worked fine if it played more like Sonic Rush or possibly even Runners, but instead it feels like it had Sega peering over their shoulder saying "more retro! More like this!" while waving boxed copies of Sonic 1 in their face. Episode 2 was a fair bit better in that respect and was allowed to have a bit more of its own personality, even if it was still being dragged down by that essential contradiction at its core.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Sonic 2 Trailer:

I think the yellow thing that shoots across the logo isn't Tails. I reckon it's Super Sonic. I think it's a ruse.

Obviously Tails is in it, but I think this would be a clever hint towards Super Sonic, given he first appeared in Sonic 2.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

quote:

Edit: Edit: "Sonic Studio" is what they're being called officially now, sorry for any confusion.

Not to be confused with the fangame coming out of the same name :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTlrB4CByVE

As far as I can see, this leaker was only credible for the Mario 35th anniversary direct announcement stuff, so it's not quite a highly credible source tbh. Not super against anything here, but there's been several "Hey I got that one nintendo direct leak right once guys, check out my new crazy leak" leaks that never materialized so I'm not holding my breath.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'll give Dimps one thing - they didn't make Sonic Rivals/2.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Dimps makes a 2D Sonic game.

A lot of new developers are on for new 3D game, focusing on different gameplay than the established boost formula. Possibly on a new engine.

New classic games collection has hits like Sonic Advance 1 and not Sonic 3 of course.

Can't wait to be disappointed and fall through the floor with Sonic in 2022.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sonic rivals aren't so much bad as they are kinda pointless without a human to race against but the novelty of being rouge or espio in a 2d game is nice i guess even though everyone plays the same

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Sonic Gems Collection 2 huh, I’ll allow it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

Dimps makes a 2D Sonic game.

A lot of new developers are on for new 3D game, focusing on different gameplay than the established boost formula. Possibly on a new engine.

New classic games collection has hits like Sonic Advance 1 and not Sonic 3 of course.

Can't wait to be disappointed and fall through the floor with Sonic in 2022.

To be fair. Advance 1 was the only good Advance game

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bottomless Pit Zone Act 1

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I would buy the Advance collection just for the Chao garden. It's not fully featured like the 3D gardens, but Instill enjoyed my time with it.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Larryb posted:

To be fair. Advance 1 was the only good Advance game

Advance 3 is better though? :confused:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like I remember Adv3 making no sense and I gave up halfway through for some reason or another.

I also feel like I need to make the hot take of that I think Rush is also not that great? Like, it's got a lot of style and some interesting ideas, but I swear I remember hitting some real annoying difficulty spikes that made me give up long before I beat it?

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Advance 3 had chaos angel which has the sickest music

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The partner system in Advance 3 sounded awesome on paper but they couldn’t come up with any useful ideas for the teams and if you wanted to find the chao Knuckles+Tails was the only worthwhile choice as they’re the only combo that can get to all of them. Some teams were just stupid like Tails+Cream where Tails forgets how to fly.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

I feel like I remember Adv3 making no sense and I gave up halfway through for some reason or another.

I also feel like I need to make the hot take of that I think Rush is also not that great? Like, it's got a lot of style and some interesting ideas, but I swear I remember hitting some real annoying difficulty spikes that made me give up long before I beat it?

level design in the advance games definitely gets worse over time, but 2 and 3 both still have good ideas in them. rush levels are half bottomless pits and half enemies that appear out of nowhere to punish you for not boosting. rush adventure is surprisingly fun in comparison

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

J-Spot posted:

The partner system in Advance 3 sounded awesome on paper but they couldn’t come up with any useful ideas for the teams and if you wanted to find the chao Knuckles+Tails was the only worthwhile choice as they’re the only combo that can get to all of them. Some teams were just stupid like Tails+Cream where Tails forgets how to fly.

Though the good part of that is that the game isn’t split into separate campaigns like the other two and you can swap characters any time you’re not currently in a stage (which means that you don’t have to get all the emeralds with Sonic in order to unlock the true ending).

For normal gameplay though I personally recommend the following combinations:

Sonic/Tails (though Sonic/Cream gives the former the ability to breathe underwater)

Knuckles/Cream (mostly because Cheese will constantly be orbiting around the latter like a shield that damages enemies)

Amy/Sonic (it’s the only combination that gives Amy her Advance 2 moveset)

And vice versa for all except the last one. Having Cream as your partner for the Altar Emerald stage also comes in handy for the Eggman fight as her Tag Action temporarily gives your leader character control of Cheese

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 11, 2021

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I played a lot of Advanced 1 and the only thing I really remember about it was feeling that the game was not built with Amy in mind.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

I played a lot of Advanced 1 and the only thing I really remember about it was feeling that the game was not built with Amy in mind.

She’s useful in some areas at least (for example, she’s about the only character that can attack Eggman in Ice Mountain without having to ride the icicles above the water)

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Amy in Advance 1 was a neat way to implement what was basically a “hard” mode. If I can say one thing to Dimps’ credit it’s that I liked their character additions to the 2D formula a lot more than Mighty and Ray in Mania.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I replayed Advance 1 and 2 last year, and although I didn’t have the levels memorised, I did have a sixth sense for Dimps bullshit.

I’d just think where the most annoying place for retracting spikes or a bottomless pit would be and I’d almost always be right.

They’re still fun to play and have pretty faithful classic Sonic physics. If Dimps are made up of former SNK devs, that probably explains the great sprite work and unfair difficulty.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
add amy and blaze to mania, or add mod support for the switch version tia

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Looper posted:

add amy and blaze to mania, or add mod support for the switch version tia

Mods that don't require a .DLL should work on the Switch version. It's a total hassle of course.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The thing with Advance 3 that clicked with me is that while some partner combinations are obviously better for speed/completion (hello Knuckles/Tails), they all tend to play pretty differently and allow you different avenues of tackling the level layouts that isn't just the standard run/fly/climb trio we've been accustomed to for years. And the level design suits this approach nicely. They can be chaotic and disorganized at times, and maybe they're a hair too large and sprawling for their own good but they allow a lot of opportunities to build speed, maintain that speed, and utilize your partner abilities to find shortcuts, both intended and otherwise. Say what you want about Advance 3, but you haven't lived until you've learned how to clear Chaos Angel Act 3 without using the platforms at all.

It was certainly the Advance game I always went back to the most, just because I could just pick a stage, pick any two characters and just go to town and experiment to see what kind of silliness I can pull off this run. And really that's the core appeal of the classic 2D Sonic games in the first place, so Advance 3 fit right into that.

The biggest problem honestly is the whole hub world and the hoops you jump through to change characters. It's fine for just playing through the story but when replaying stages it just kills the momentum in-between stages as you navigate those dull hub worlds and go until the partner change portal and etc. etc.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That leak is basically just "Sonic Adventure 3" and in my experience, when a leaker promises you something you've always wanted, it's nonsense.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've never wanted Sonic Adventure 3 so congratulations I guess.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Aesthetically speaking we already got a Sonic Adventure 3, we call it Sonic ‘06 (or Sonic Unleashed which I believe was literally called Adventure 3 early in development and is known as Sonic World Adventure in Japan).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 11, 2021

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

See also Sonic World Adventure.

But not Sonic Rush Adventure or Sonic Runners Adventure.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Skeletome posted:

Advance 3 had chaos angel which has the sickest music

:hai:

The Advance games would benefit immensely from an increase in screen size, it's so hard to find your place in these enormous levels with the tiny 240x160 box you're given. the way the supposed leaker describes it though it sounds like the collection would just be Sega Ages style ports so I don't think the view area's gonna change.

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 11, 2021

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Hope that collection happens, with M2 at the helm I'd half expect a tate mode for Sonic Advance just to emulate the feel of the garbo Ngage port

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
As poo poo as Sonic 4 was I can't hate on Dimps because Sonic Rush is sublime. Yeah the level design sucks if you're playing it like a normal sonic game but so what, loving sonic unleashed's daytime stages play like poo poo if you ignore the boost mechanic too.

Once you're experienced with the game it's the forced badnik arenas that you should be complaining about instead of the pits imo they suck the momentum right out. They even brought back the big hammer robots from Heroes and made them take 3 hits again.

Rush adventure just wasn't the same imo and the DS version of colours used the ring to boost system which I don't like at all. I see why the dropped tricks for the 3D titles as they're a lot more complicated to control but it just feels dumbed down in Colours DS imo.

Anyway lol at that leak, feels like a wish list I would have created when I was a teenager. After the Heroes and Shadow I was clamouring to the return to the adventure formula and more dimps 2d stuff.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
as much as I would enjoy a more adventure-y style game I'm pretty sure every single leak has something like "FINALLY, SONIC ADVENTURE 3" in it so I don't believe it at all. This one doesn't say "sonic adventure 3 confirmed" but it does describe something similar so :shrug:

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Sonic 06 was SA3 :colbert:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Straight down to the interconnected stories and character upgrades for that matter

Xad posted:

as much as I would enjoy a more adventure-y style game I'm pretty sure every single leak has something like "FINALLY, SONIC ADVENTURE 3" in it so I don't believe it at all. This one doesn't say "sonic adventure 3 confirmed" but it does describe something similar so :shrug:

To be fair, we’ve already had at least two games in the “Adventure” style (06 and Unleashed). Hell, I think I heard somewhere that Unleashed was originally CALLED Sonic Adventure 3 early in development (and it’s known as Sonic World Adventure in Japan).

Just calling a game Sonic Adventure 3 isn’t any guarantee that it’ll be good but if Sega’s serious about the new development philosophy they seem to be adapting maybe we’ll be pleasantly surprised regardless of what the next game winds up being.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 11, 2021

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So did Mania just sell like poo poo or what. I know the Rush crap is just a rumor up there, but even still I'm pretty sure it's basically confirmed that they aren't planning on a Mania 2. I don't get it. It was like the highest praised best reviewed Sonic in a loving eternity, it's EXACTLY what old school Sonic fans had been asking for forever. Why are they so against doing another one?? I don't want a new Rush, I don't want a new Advance, I didn't like them at all. I know Rush gets praise but I didn't like it at all. I hated how Rush played, I hated how Rush looked. I want Mania 2. Give me Sonic Mania 2 you bastards!!!! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sonic Rush and Sonic Advance honestly don't hold up as well as people think. I went back and played a bunch of Sonic games this year and Advance 1 and 2 and Rush only seemed great compared to the miserable 3D games coming out around the same time. They're definitely nowhere near the quality of Sonic 2 and 3, and that goes double for the 60fps widescreen versions that we now have of those classics. They're not bad games but they're just all right.

Sonic 3 Advance is bad though, all the fun character gimmicks in the world can't make up for level design that bad.

Macaluso posted:

So did Mania just sell like poo poo or what. I know the Rush crap is just a rumor up there, but even still I'm pretty sure it's basically confirmed that they aren't planning on a Mania 2. I don't get it. It was like the highest praised best reviewed Sonic in a loving eternity, it's EXACTLY what old school Sonic fans had been asking for forever. Why are they so against doing another one?

Because the Sonic brand is horribly mismanaged by people with their heads up their rear end.