Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

replace all the subforums with links to this thread only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Rytheric posted:

Rytheric tip. If you've got a vehicle that will sit idle for an extended time. Hook a small solar panel up to it to keep the battery alive.

uh... alternatively disconnect the negative cable.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
So I found some pre-drafted forms for land contract online for my county. Thinking about getting that done tomorrow while I'm on site if my soil evaluation checks out for potential septic.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
looking forward to the diorama of this build

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Rytheric posted:

So I found some pre-drafted forms for land contract online for my county. Thinking about getting that done tomorrow while I'm on site if my soil evaluation checks out for potential septic.

Please ask an actual lawyer to look at real property purchases. We want to hear the tale of the watertowerhottubobervatoryzipline

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Rytheric posted:

So I decided to create a flow chart of goals and accomplishments but it was so convoluted and a tangled mess until I reorganized it based on which games of my childhood inspired me to create these goals. So here is my goal web which is heavily based on Heroes of Might and Magic, Outpost 2, and the Sims. Looks like I'm about 40% done with my life goals which means if I started them by 20 I likely won't finish til I'm late 50s early 60s.

I shared my end goals with the second date I have this year and she said she loved them and that several of them were for helping others. She said her goals were to travel and retire on a beach. I figured this was the time to bring up the GroverTruk. I will let yall know how it goes.
You weren't kidding about the Sims influence, this web looks like it could come out of a later Sims game "lifetime goal" for a Sim character. Still, good on you for visualizing your life and making goals! Don't put a firepit inside your truck, though. Best of luck living your fascinating life!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes it seems this thread is written in Simlish.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I’m glad “buy a gun to kill people who poke their head into this seemingly abandoned doorless vehicle” is no longer among your goals

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

AdmiralViscen posted:

I’m glad “buy a gun to kill people who poke their head into this seemingly abandoned doorless vehicle” is no longer among your goals

It's not a goal, it's just a means to an end.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

AdmiralViscen posted:

Needs one of these instead.
https://www.amazon.com/United-Cutlery-Magnum-Spear-Sheath/dp/B019KKKEUG/ref=dp_prsubs_3?pd_rd_i=B019KKKEUG&psc=1

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
Soil scientist came by and said the land is perc-able but told me to hold off on buying til I get it surveyed and an escavator out there to get the proper permits.

Edit for more information:

So one of the sad things he mentioned is that I am going to have to move the well. And when I build the septic, the timbershitters will be destroyed.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 10, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So I got ahold of my company's legal services and they presented me with an attorney consultation tomorrow. It sounds like if I don't start build a MurderHaus within the year, my company may not cover the legal fees. But its only half a grand otherwise so I will probably go ahead.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Yo... I get to use an excavator. Ive always wanted to use one!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Rytheric posted:

Yo... I get to use an excavator. Ive always wanted to use one!

They're super fun

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

The Voice of Labor posted:

lol, thanks for reminding me about the time I macguyvered a vibrator together for my g/f out of a broken playstation controller

I'm assuming that it turned out well given that you didn't write ex-g/f? Nice use of the dualshock, imho.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Rytheric posted:

So I got ahold of my company's legal services and they presented me with an attorney consultation tomorrow. It sounds like if I don't start build a MurderHaus within the year, my company may not cover the legal fees. But its only half a grand otherwise so I will probably go ahead.

Wow that's a job perk I've never heard of

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

taqueso posted:

Wow that's a job perk I've never heard of

Really? I would look into it or have your company look into it. We do it through a company called Metlife Legal Plans. Employees pay like $7-$14 a month to buy into the service and they find attorneys in their network (it's kind of like insurrance) that will cover things like buying a home or if you get a speeding ticket, stuff like that. It's pretty nifty.

Edit: haha it's actually called legal insurrance.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 10, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Rytheric posted:

Really? I would look into it or have your company look into it. We do it through a company called Metlife Legal Plans. Employees pay like $7-$14 a month to buy into the service and they find attorneys in their network (it's kind of like insurrance) that will cover things like buying a home or if you get a speeding ticket, stuff like that. It's pretty nifty.

Edit: haha it's actually called legal insurrance.

I did this for a year when I was buying and selling a a home in the same year. Cost me <200 bux , saved me like 1000. Even got to use my buddy's law firm as they participated. They don't cover poo poo like Criminal defense or Divorce just "initial consultation" which is usually free with any lawyer worth a poo poo anyways. But well worth signing up if you're dealing with real-estate, wills etc. then dumping them.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Also the soil scientist is telling me I will have to abandon the well and move the water observatory tower elsewhere.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Yeah it's not bad if you know you're going to be using it but be careful, a lot of times it only covers the attorney's time on the specific matter that's covered, so like when I used it I still had to pay $500 for poo poo that was billable and related but wasn't specifically covered even though it was necessary for the covered matter.

jaken97
Aug 1, 2013

Hell Gem
Ry consider putting in some rv exhaust/vent fans into the ceiling of the truck, like one in the bedroom section and then one in the main area, should help prevent the accumulation of CO from the firepit/truck exhaust and I'd install some CO monitors/alarms just in case the wind conditions aren't favorable and smoke gets drawn into the box.
https://www.amazon.com/RV-Ventilation/b/ref=dp_bc_aui_C_4?ie=UTF8&node=3147788011

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

"Imagine your poop and pee as a health smoothy for a tree"

https://www.ted.com/talks/molly_winter_the_taboo_secret_to_better_health?utm_campaign=tedspread&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=tedcomshare

So as an environmental geochemist one thing the sends me on an existential rant is the eventual desertification of our planet do to how we mishandled our waste.

Let me set the stage. You have dirt. Plants obtain nutrients from the dirt. A farmer murders the plant to sell to you to eat. You eat the plant, take what you need from it, and then it gets flushes down the toilet. You need to eat again because you're an endless pit of consumption. So the farmer has to grow more plants and take more nutrients out of the dirt. His yields diminish so he fertilized it.

If he chooses inorganic fertilizer he is have things mined and delivered to him which consumes a lot of energy and resources or he buys animal poo. If he buys animal poo he is essentially robbing the nutrients of one parcel of land to replenish another. The result is a net loss of nutrients that are not readily renewed since we don't send our poo back to farmers or bury our bodies in the corn fields (typically). I like that this Ted talk addresses this issue somewhat, but doesn't go as far as it needs to as the examples shown don't produce food. I think an earthship probably does it better.

Anyway end rant. Be responsible with your poo. Send it to a farmer or build ya a timbershitter today. Lol

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Rytheric posted:

"Imagine your poop and pee as a health smoothy for a tree"

https://www.ted.com/talks/molly_winter_the_taboo_secret_to_better_health?utm_campaign=tedspread&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=tedcomshare

So as an environmental geochemist one thing the sends me on an existential rant is the eventual desertification of our planet do to how we mishandled our waste.

Let me set the stage. You have dirt. Plants obtain nutrients from the dirt. A farmer murders the plant to sell to you to eat. You eat the plant, take what you need from it, and then it gets flushes down the toilet. You need to eat again because you're an endless pit of consumption. So the farmer has to grow more plants and take more nutrients out of the dirt. His yields diminish so he fertilized it.

If he chooses inorganic fertilizer he is have things mined and delivered to him which consumes a lot of energy and resources or he buys animal poo. If he buys animal poo he is essentially robbing the nutrients of one parcel of land to replenish another. The result is a net loss of nutrients that are not readily renewed since we don't send our poo back to farmers or bury our bodies in the corn fields (typically). I like that this Ted talk addresses this issue somewhat, but doesn't go as far as it needs to as the examples shown don't produce food. I think an earthship probably does it better.

Anyway end rant. Be responsible with your poo. Send it to a farmer or build ya a timbershitter today. Lol

PM me your address and I will send you as much poop as you want

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Otacon posted:

Once my farm is up and running will do. I'm trying to see if I can grow crops over my future septic drain field.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Otacon posted:

Talk about poo poo posting

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Otacon posted:

<insert Mitch Mcconell's address here>

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

I was just thinking of the horrors that would insue if the sa forum members just started shipping all their poo to my address. Lol

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Rytheric posted:

I was just thinking of the horrors that would insue if the sa forum members just started shipping all their poo to my address. Lol

I'm a twice-a-day kinda guy, and I get special rates through the post office, so it'd pretty much be daily packages.

Ziplock bags are okay right?

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Otacon posted:

Only if you do it like an astronaut and knead up the poo a little after.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Otacon posted:

i was gonna just go with tinfoil but i think you're on to something

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Rytheric posted:

This would be some golden age SA poo poo, so to speak

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Just send the stools in biodegradable envelopes so they can be tossed directly into the literal shithole on the property you want to buy.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rytheric posted:

Not to put a damper on this specifically, but most human poop has to be properly qualified through the postal code division 6.2, 10.17: hazardous infectious substances. Not that you can't mail it, but you can't just throw a stamp on a ziploc baggie and put it in the drop box.

If you're gonna get poop mailed to you, don't do it as a felony exercize.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So the soil scientist upon learning of the shitters suggested I get a metal detector and try to find jewelry lost amongst ancient buried poo poo piles. I must contemplate this. Perhaps the timbershitters will fund themselves.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Rytheric posted:

So the soil scientist upon learning of the shitters suggested I get a metal detector and try to find jewelry lost amongst ancient buried poo poo piles. I must contemplate this. Perhaps the timbershitters will fund themselves.

Holy poo poo.

Please do this. And document it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Rytheric posted:

please, please do this

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rytheric posted:

Do it. I got a bunch of cool old glassware and pewter figurines out of an old outhouse/latrine location I excavated (while installing a sump in my basement).

Before residential trash collection, everything was either burned or dumped somewhere. A lot of times that somewhere was the outhouse.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Rytheric posted:

Someone suggested I looked into hydronic heating. I ended up buying a book that I hoped would teach me how to build solar panels, but instead it seemed Ike a survey of different types of solar and what to do with it which referenced heating water using solar thermal panels as observed below.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of heating and if I should use it for the MurderHaus? I imagine I'd have to have extremely well insulated floors.

Saw a number of places in Ladakh with systems like these for warm water. You're not gonna get like steaming water out of it but you can get a shower that is pleasant at 15000 feet above sea level. You want to put them high so you can gravity feed them if possible because if you need electricity to pump or pressurize it you might as well use the same electricity to heat it. You also want it like basically directly above where you're using it because you'll lose heat into the pipes, but using rubber piping instead of like, actual pipes helps.

In fact, you might want to look into some of the infrastructure and design solutions in use in Ladakh because I saw a lot of like, rubber flex pipe and hoses fixed with tightly wrapped cloth in lieu of actual plumbing and extremely not any kind of code electrical wiring running unshielded along walls there and it seems like it might be your speed.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Paramemetic posted:

Saw a number of places in Ladakh with systems like these for warm water. You're not gonna get like steaming water out of it but you can get a shower that is pleasant at 15000 feet above sea level. You want to put them high so you can gravity feed them if possible because if you need electricity to pump or pressurize it you might as well use the same electricity to heat it. You also want it like basically directly above where you're using it because you'll lose heat into the pipes, but using rubber piping instead of like, actual pipes helps.

In fact, you might want to look into some of the infrastructure and design solutions in use in Ladakh because I saw a lot of like, rubber flex pipe and hoses fixed with tightly wrapped cloth in lieu of actual plumbing and extremely not any kind of code electrical wiring running unshielded along walls there and it seems like it might be your speed.

America allows people to use flexible plastic plumbing lines now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

First post here in years except to tell Lowtax to Get hosed(TM). Chiming in from way back on Page 10 to say :eyepop: :justpost: :f5: