Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
Nice, 'labes for days! I totally agree with the posters who recommended Astrolabe over Box. What did it give you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

palamedes posted:

'labes for days!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

palamedes posted:

Nice, 'labes for days! I totally agree with the posters who recommended Astrolabe over Box. What did it give you?

Two strikes and a Defend into Dark Embrace+, Anger+ and Exhume+, it was massive. Exhuming Reaper helped carry me big time through the first half of act 2 until I got my hands on a Corruption.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Just had a run that was a sure Heart kill on asc 20 get ruined because I forgot to take the blue key in act 3.

Hate when that happens because my brain is on autopilot at the end.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

WarpedLichen posted:

Just had a run that was a sure Heart kill on asc 20 get ruined because I forgot to take the blue key in act 3.

Hate when that happens because my brain is on autopilot at the end.

I like using the Betterpaths mod. Terrence used it on his WR A20 heart streak so it's apparently kosher with the community. Lets you highlight individual items on the map, and lets you right click to highlight every instance of a type of path.

So many times I've said "oh, I can get this treasure/path/campsite... oh wait I highlighted it, why? Ohhh, I've got to get the key here."

https://github.com/casey-c/sts_betterpaths

Plus, planning for act 1 is now a breeze. Right click the elite icon, study the map, right click the campfires icon, study the map, choose the best route. Saves me like 1 minute per run.

deltah
Sep 28, 2012
I quite like lifecoach, but it's ridiculous how much energy he puts into discrediting jorbs being good at silent.

Also, it was only this week that I discovered the heart is something you can do before a20. I just assumed it was an ascension thing until seeing the screenshots of people doing heart at a6 here. This is what I get for ignoring the defect as a character.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly life coach might be good but he's not nearly as skilled as he thinks he is. There's a reason they have a timer in chess.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Not saying one player is better than another (and especially not based on such small samples), but the statistics are interesting:

Jorbs: 34W-19L (64.2%, 53 games) for the month of January, trying to win as many games as possible across all four characters during the month
Lifecoach: 46W-30L (60.5%, 76 games) at the time of writing

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ That's a meaningless statistic. Jorbs is playing all four characters, while LC is only playing Silent. If LC was rotating then based on his past win rates of 64/64/56/94 he'd be at 52-24 (68.4%) after 19 games with each class.

Gaius Marius posted:

Honestly life coach might be good but he's not nearly as skilled as he thinks he is. There's a reason they have a timer in chess.

Yes, it's so games will end. Lifecoach takes his time to fully explore the game space as much as necessary and possible, but even with unlimited time you still need the skill, the knowledge and the mental discipline to do the job.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Feb 11, 2021

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Why is Lifecoach so bad at Defect comparatively?

Like those other win percentages are really impressive but it just nosedives there. Which is super weird because most of the other major streamers have Defect as one of their better winrate characters

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Jedit posted:

^^^ That's a meaningless statistic. Jorbs is playing all four characters, while LC is only playing Silent. If LC was rotating then based on his past win rates of 64/64/56/94 he'd be at 52-24 (68.4%) after 19 games with each class.
I don't see why they aren't comparable: those are Jorbs's silent games only, he played over 200 games that month total.

edit: it was in reply to one person saying "I quite like lifecoach, but it's ridiculous how much energy he puts into discrediting jorbs being good at silent" so I thought it was implicit, and also no one would compare winrates across classes like that

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 11, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Llamadeus posted:

I don't see why they aren't comparable: those are Jorbs's silent games only, he played over 200 games that month total.

You never said that it was Silent games only.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Jedit posted:

Does LC have a 94% W/R killing the Heart with Watcher at a20? That's pretty insane, surely it also points to the character itself being slightly broken.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Jedit posted:

You never said that it was Silent games only.
It was implied. Otherwise the statistic would be entirely irrelevant.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I took it as all games, was surprised that jorbs played fewer than lifecoach, and then gave him a mental bump for switching characters

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Zore posted:

Why is Lifecoach so bad at Defect comparatively?

Like those other win percentages are really impressive but it just nosedives there. Which is super weird because most of the other major streamers have Defect as one of their better winrate characters

LC loves to play decks that are oriented around frontloaded attack damage. He can play other styles well, but that’s usually what he WANTS to do. He tends to be bored by decks that are based around slower, more defensive play that keeps you safe until your scaling is online. He’s not too fond of poison or orbs. But again he will play these things and play them well when he thinks it’s necessary.

Watcher suits him well. This is a character that wants to remove defends instead of strikes and can just blow enemies up in one or two turns in act 1 and 2.

deltah
Sep 28, 2012
Ya, LC plays the game, but with his own added rules on top. The man has an ethos.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Say what you will about the tennents of taking 45 minutes to choose a loving card but at least it's an ethos

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I see no problem if given an unlimited amount of time to do something that someone takes as much time as they desire to math out an optimal solution. That sort of diligence is commendable. As someone mentioned the chess clock was invented for a reason. I get antsy if I stare at the card rewards from a hallway fight for more than 7 seconds.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

mcvey posted:

Say what you will about the tennents of taking 45 minutes to choose a loving card but at least it's an ethos

Motherfucker takes longer to pick a card in a videogame than I took picking my loving mortgage.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You could spend one year between each card pick carefully mapping out every scenario possible. You'd end up with a higher winrate then coach but it wouldn't mean your more skilled, just that your more willing to throw away your life for useless streamer clout.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yoshi Wins posted:

LC loves to play decks that are oriented around frontloaded attack damage. He can play other styles well, but that’s usually what he WANTS to do. He tends to be bored by decks that are based around slower, more defensive play that keeps you safe until your scaling is online.

Wait so like... his runs are 5+ hours without scaling-centric play? :psyduck:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
StS isn't a multiplayer game so there's no social pressure to play at a reasonable pace and there's no timer so I don't really think there's a hard cutoff point at which you can say someone is taking "too much time" BUT learning to make a decision quickly and decisively is a skill that is worthwhile and does speak to having a body of game knowledge that you can access quickly.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Arguing over how good streamers are at a single player game with no objective ranking of skill besides a point system nobody cares about is dumb.

Also funny how divisive Life Coach's slow playing style is.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I mean, to be fair, most of lifecoach's 4 hour runs are spent just talking to twitch chat and explaining his plays. It's very rare that he actually takes more than a few minutes deciding on a card or whatever. He also takes pretty frequent 5-10 minute breaks.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Gaius Marius posted:

You could spend one year between each card pick carefully mapping out every scenario possible. You'd end up with a higher winrate then coach but it wouldn't mean your more skilled, just that your more willing to throw away your life for useless streamer clout.

It's not that simple. I certainly couldn't pull it off without first getting much better at the game. Being rewarded for spending so long on picks is a sign of him having a deep understanding of the game and skill level. All of the top level players are factoring in tons of experience and insight that goes beyond raw computation.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ropecoach rules

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Idk why there's this need to have a take about how long LC takes. He streams for eight hours a day, doesn't ask for subs or donations, answers every question in chat and explains his reasoning thoroughly when asked, and is imo completely hilarious on top of it. It's crazy that anyone has the patience to do this for months at this point and I don't understand why it's seen as anything but a nice thing to have around.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Kyrosiris posted:

Wait so like... his runs are 5+ hours without scaling-centric play? :psyduck:

Found the LC newbie.

Those jokes about spending 45 minutes on a card select screen are not jokes.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

jetz0r posted:

Found the LC newbie.

Those jokes about spending 45 minutes on a card select screen are not jokes.

Oh I've never watched him at all because of the posts in this thread. I could barely get through Terrence's record-clinching run by watching the VOD on 2x speed.

I just figured that he was doing galaxy-brain long-con poo poo instead of just brute-forcing everything but taking half a year on every decision point along the way.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

No Wave posted:

Idk why there's this need to have a take about how long LC takes. He streams for eight hours a day, doesn't ask for subs or donations, answers every question in chat and explains his reasoning thoroughly when asked, and is imo completely hilarious on top of it. It's crazy that anyone has the patience to do this for months at this point and I don't understand why it's seen as anything but a nice thing to have around.

big agree, as far as streamers go i dont really care whos better. personally i feel like I get more out of a LC stream when it comes to impacting my own play and can tell that I've gotten better sponging off his streams. But at the end of the day being entertaining is what something like a stream is for, to me, and LC is leagues better than jorbs in this regard. Jorbs is actively hostile and unfriendly, and he has created a very awful chat environment and stream culture. LC is streaming for fun otoh and takes breaks when he gets too tilted (unlike jorbs who takes it out on others and sulks while streaming) and has much more positive interactions with his community.

if you want to watch a fast streamer that isnt an rear end in a top hat, baalorlord is really good at this game too and he is friendly and he plays fast. he doesnt always explain poo poo to his chat but whatever hes going fast. i dont watch him but hes there if you want an alternative

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mymla posted:

I mean, to be fair, most of lifecoach's 4 hour runs are spent just talking to twitch chat and explaining his plays. It's very rare that he actually takes more than a few minutes deciding on a card or whatever. He also takes pretty frequent 5-10 minute breaks.

It's often the case that LC already knows what he's going to do before he takes 10 minutes over it. He just likes to explain to chat why they are wrong, and occasionally takes on board something they say that he hadn't thought of. Off stream he plays much more quickly; before starting his Defect A20 set he knocked out the ascension climb in a couple of days.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Zand posted:

big agree, as far as streamers go i dont really care whos better. personally i feel like I get more out of a LC stream when it comes to impacting my own play and can tell that I've gotten better sponging off his streams. But at the end of the day being entertaining is what something like a stream is for, to me, and LC is leagues better than jorbs in this regard. Jorbs is actively hostile and unfriendly, and he has created a very awful chat environment and stream culture. LC is streaming for fun otoh and takes breaks when he gets too tilted (unlike jorbs who takes it out on others and sulks while streaming) and has much more positive interactions with his community.

if you want to watch a fast streamer that isnt an rear end in a top hat, baalorlord is really good at this game too and he is friendly and he plays fast. he doesnt always explain poo poo to his chat but whatever hes going fast. i dont watch him but hes there if you want an alternative

Yeah BL is my favorite. He just plays and occasionally goes, "I guess I could've played that then better" rather than agonizing about complete optimal.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

watch the streamer you like imo

I find jorbs pretty entertaining myself

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Andrast posted:

watch the streamer you like imo

I find jorbs pretty entertaining myself

Jorbs is really relaxing to me, I use his youtube channel to fall asleep.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

jetz0r posted:

Jorbs is really relaxing to me, I use his youtube channel to fall asleep.

He's my wfh background noise

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Mymla posted:

the value of lifecoach's frankly insane level of chat interaction cannot be understated. his arguments with chat are as integral to the stream experience as the gameplay itself

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I thought Jorbs spending all that time to make sure he fed or got Lesson Learned was as far as this kind of thing went.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Hmm colorless card prism is pretty good with watcher!! Love dealing 200 bodyslam damage against the heart. Also lol finally using a grand finale due to scry

Calipers w/ impervious + entrenched+ is gg lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
The tryhard streamers also spend a significant amount of time trying to stack: pen nib, ink bottle, nunchaku, inserter, incense burner, etc (there are some others but mostly these)