Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

greg the peanut
Dec 24, 2000

Chris Knight posted:

Aesthetic beer

yeah I’ve played hotline miami

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

Aesthetic beer

I have no idea what "imperial" really means when it comes to beer but I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean throwing in a bunch of random fruit and milk sugar and salt.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I don’t know what the actual technical term is, and I doubt most craft brewer know either

it mostly ends up indicating a higher abv though

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
IIRC it was to prevent freezing of beer shipped to Russia after one of the Tsars came over and liked British Beer or some poo poo?

:shrug:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
it normally means a higher abv, but this was only 5.6 so idk :shrug:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

spankmeister posted:

I have no idea what "imperial" really means when it comes to beer

a bunch more abv than usual. traditional goses usually dont go over 3%

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

just got a bottle of talisker 10. forgot how much i love this poo poo

i havent had a beer in a month now. just drinkin scotch. feels good man

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

graph posted:

a bunch more abv than usual. traditional goses usually dont go over 3%

I really like gose and I hate them for ruining it.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

spankmeister posted:

I really like gose and I hate them for ruining it.

i had an orange merangue gose over the summer it was really good

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
a double/imperial ipa is the kind you drink and go "hmm, not as good as pliny, but it's got 8.5% abv so i'll drink it"

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

DELETE CASCADE posted:

a double/imperial ipa is the kind you drink and go "hmm, not as good as pliny, but it's got 8.5% abv so i'll drink it"

wider distribution of pliny has really ruined all other dipas for me.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

my bitter bi rival posted:

wider distribution of pliny has really ruined all other dipas for me.

pliny is loving disgusting. consecration was one of the best things i've ever tasted

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

graph posted:

pliny is loving disgusting.

:catstare:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Pliny is p deece but it’s not everything it’s made out to be

it’s just a good beer

I actually prefer Elysium Space Dust, it has this grapefruit tinge to it that’s just wonderfully extra

but at home I have Firestone Walker 805, Bare Bottle Toricido, and Einstök Icelandic White, stuff like Pliny and Space Dust is a sometimes beer

I also stock Kyla Kombucha since my wife loves it, I’ve never really been about kombucha (hard or otherwise) but she loves it

also for her, I pick up a can of Far West Cider’s You Guava Be Kidding Me and We Wish You a Merry Pluot whenever I see it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pliny is one of those things that is quite good but also overrated

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

my first time hearing about pliny, maybe ill give it a shot to break my scotch spell. do i want the elder or the younger?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

the thing about pliny in the bay area now, and i understand that it isn't even really about pliny specifically, but that makes it really great nonetheless is:

if you are buying beer from the grocery store, pliny sells quickly and gets restocked very frequently so it is almost always the most fresh ipa (in addition to being a very good ipa) in the store. so a bottle of it is always fresh and wonderful for that reason whereas buying a sixer of space dust or fogcutter or whatever, its not being bought as much, and so the stock on hand is probably not as fresh. ipas dont degrade that fast, but they degrade pretty fast, and you notice the difference for a beer that was bottled 2 weeks ago vs a dusty sixer of half acre ipa or something else that was bottled in april and isn't moving because people don't know about it and dont buy it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

oh also i am in MA and this sounds like a silicon valley fuckface thing

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
imo the most important thing about ipas is that they are fresh, so any random ipa from a local brewer (thats been around for at least a couple years) is probably going to be better than anything off the shelf of a grocery store

its cool that pliny is kinda hacking the ipa supply chain though by being so well known

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

this conversation is the first time I’ve heard
of it

fairly certain it’s not sold here

that Elysium mentioned up thread is though

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

had some of the only-every-four-years Pliny for president last night. it was good

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

oh also i am in MA and this sounds like a silicon valley fuckface thing

oh just get treehouse then

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

graph posted:

pliny is loving disgusting. consecration was one of the best things i've ever tasted

consecration is amazing. it’s not my favorite style but it doesn’t taste like anything else out there. pliny tastes like they aged it with one of those gas station tree air fresheners

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

consecration is amazing. it’s not my favorite style but it doesn’t taste like anything else out there

yeah i dont think i could drink a pint of it but drat is it something else

Nevergirls
Jul 4, 2004

It's not right living this way, not letting others know what's true and what's false.
Drinking Ardbeg. It was either this or the Fernet, and at least with this I'm a little less likely to die of the sugar

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Captain Foo posted:

oh just get treehouse then

treehouse has lots of good beers :thumbsup:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

having beer

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i have consumed many bottles of pliny the elder and also many bottles of elysium space dust. they are not even close to being on the same tier of quality. elysium used to be an independent brewer, but now they are owned by ab inbev, which is why you can find that poo poo at safeway. russian river brewing is still independent, and they put out some next level beers. pliny is, for its style, perfect. space dust is the ipa you settle for when the outdoor festival doesn't have a better one

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Pardot posted:

had some of the only-every-four-years Pliny for president last night. it was good

confirmed solid beer

Nevergirls
Jul 4, 2004

It's not right living this way, not letting others know what's true and what's false.
Broke into the Fernet

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
prosecco is just italian champagne, right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

prefect posted:

prosecco is just italian champagne, right?

yes, but it has to come from the prosecco region of italy, otherwise it's just sparkling rose

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Nevergirls posted:

Broke into the Fernet

hell yeah. fernet is so good

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

hell yeah. fernet is so good

I sent a friend of mine a bottle of malört and he came up with The Denver Compromise

1 part malört to 1 part fernet

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I like Prosecco way more than champagne

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

minivanmegafun posted:

I sent a friend of mine a bottle of malört and he came up with The Denver Compromise

1 part malört to 1 part fernet

i have never tried malört, i‘m not even sure whether i can get it here. but given what i‘ve read about it, that sounds like the world‘s most bitter drink

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

i have never tried malört, i‘m not even sure whether i can get it here. but given what i‘ve read about it, that sounds like the world‘s most bitter drink

wormwood liqueurs come in a variety of forms and strengths, i don't know the us malört (literally just swedish for wormwood) one, but if you don't like it but like the idea there's a million variants.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I realize I haven't drank in months since most of my drinking was social drinking- either in bars/restaurants or when friends/family would come over :smith:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i tried malort when i visited chicago. it wasn't like, GOOD, but i've tasted worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Prosecco often is cheap garbage so you have to look for the good stuff.