Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
regardless of what you order, keep in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Why, hello there.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

insta posted:

regardless of what you order, keep in mind.

this is gonna gently caress up my credit balance so bad. in for a penny in for a pound, might as well order everything i need to build that dry-cell oxyhydrogen generator. didnt i need platinum foil for something a while back? holy poo poo they've got nitric acid by the gallon for cheap???? etc

e: in other news i got some flexible resin in, a friend paid for it in exchange for me running them some stamps and i get to play with the remainder. not sure how many soft objects i'll need to make but i bet it'll be useful for blending with other technical resins for producing very tough mechanical parts

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 9, 2021

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I want to say somebody here (?) was complaining about a $17 shipping charge on like 3oz of washers, and I also paid about $35 on 400lbs of steel rods.

So yeah, might as well make it worth it!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ambrose Burnside posted:

wrt mcmaster to canada, someone said $20 USD flat elsewhere online, does that about check out?

More expensive, shipping to Winnipeg:

code:
Merchandise	50.77
Canadian GST/HST	4.49
Shipping	38.96
Total (US Dollars)	$94.22

Payment Received 4/26/19	(94.22)
Balance Due (US Dollars)	$0.00

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
so while I'm ordering that metal extruder are there any other must-have upgrades/fixes for an ender 3 I should throw in my cart? How long do these nozzles last?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I really dig my EZR extruder, pegasus tubing, and Octopi setup.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Javid posted:

so while I'm ordering that metal extruder are there any other must-have upgrades/fixes for an ender 3 I should throw in my cart? How long do these nozzles last?

Get extra nozzles. They’re so cheap it’s not even worth cleaning them.

Also the yellow bed springs if yours doesn’t already have it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SpaceAceJase posted:

I've got my metal extruder upgrade, but haven't installed it.

And after seeing Javid's post above, I might do it sooner than later.

You can take the lazy bum approach and just replace the arm. Should be a direct replacement with most of these kits and it's pretty much the only piece that actually matters.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Stiffer bed springs are the must have, otherwise just print untill you have an issue.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
The only ‘must have’ upgrades for the Ender 3/Pro/V2 are imo;

•Satsana fan shroud
•Metal extruder arm
•Yellow bed springs/silicon bed springs
•Th3d flex steel flex plate with EZmat.

The first 3 eliminate the main flaws with the machine. Fortunately they’re quick and cheap upgrades.
The 3rd is an extremely grippy print surface to help remove any print adhesion issues while also allowing you to remove the prints super easily once the print is done.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hamburlgar posted:

Do I need the ezmat if I'm only printing pla?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
You don't really need it at all, but build surfaces are a matter of personal preference imo. I just use the smooth side of my V2's glass bed and find it to be pretty much perfect for everything. I'll smear on some PVA glue for PETG/ABS and that's never failed me.

Removable flex mats are nice if you want to pop prints right off, but they're not at all necessary.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I only ask because I should replace my 3 pro's flexible bed, it's been washed and scrubbed so many times it doesn't stick any more. I can't decide between glass, textured glass, spring steel, another creality magnetic sheet or something else.

E I've been lazily putting tape/glue over it for a couple months now

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 10, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It's 3DEXPERIENCE WORLD this week (nee SOLIDWORKS World), and I thought this was super exciting:

https://discover.solidworks.com/3dexperience-solidworks-makers-available-2nd-half-2021

This includes SOLIDWORKS, and their browser based design tools for parametric and subdivision surface modeling.

CAM Standard on SOLIDWORKS, not their browser based DELMIA app, but still super duper cool, and $10/mo or $99/year, which is pretty excellent.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

NewFatMike posted:

It's 3DEXPERIENCE WORLD this week (nee SOLIDWORKS World), and I thought this was super exciting:

https://discover.solidworks.com/3dexperience-solidworks-makers-available-2nd-half-2021

This includes SOLIDWORKS, and their browser based design tools for parametric and subdivision surface modeling.

CAM Standard on SOLIDWORKS, not their browser based DELMIA app, but still super duper cool, and $10/mo or $99/year, which is pretty excellent.

I'm not super crazy about their CAM because I have to use it at work and it sucks balls after using MasterCAM at a previous company, but this does look like it'll be super cool to play with for a much lower cost of entry point than a regular license.

Wonder what the downsides are...

Also, has anybody that has had access to Solidworks messed around with the slicer that's in it? That's probably going to be interesting to play with (and I realize now I should probably see how hard it is to configure for the Prusa Mini and see how it does things).

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

cakesmith handyman posted:

Do I need the ezmat if I'm only printing pla?

I only print PLA and it sticks like hell to the EZmat while printing. I have a print with a detailed 1st layer that would occasionally peel when printing on the Creality glass bed, but I’ve had 0 issues since using the EZMat.

Just be sure to apply it to the spring steel flex plate and not your glass bed, otherwise you’ll never release your prints.

Their spring steel sheet also comes with either smooth or textured pei applied on one side, so you can print either on the pei or EZmat.

E: I’ve upgraded all 5 of my Ender 3s to the Th3d spring steel/ezmat combo. It’s made a huge difference in 1st layer adhesion success as well as easy print removal.

Hamburlgar fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 10, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

You can pry my flexible sheets of my dead cold hands...Doesn't matter what I'm printing, it's super convenient.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I've finally started using PrusaSlicer for FDM prints and I have to say you guys are crazy....

...crazy correct about it being awesome. I'm still working on fine tuning the settings but even where I am now is producing excellent, fast prints and great supports. Anyone have any guides for dialing it in, or is it just the usual speed adjustments and stuff? (I'm getting a fair bit more judder than I did with S3D even though the speeds should be the same (I think - they measure speeds differently). Also which infill do you prefer for models and such?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hamburlgar posted:

Bugger, can't seem to find anywhere that'll ship it to the UK.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I'm not super crazy about their CAM because I have to use it at work and it sucks balls after using MasterCAM at a previous company, but this does look like it'll be super cool to play with for a much lower cost of entry point than a regular license.

Wonder what the downsides are...

Also, has anybody that has had access to Solidworks messed around with the slicer that's in it? That's probably going to be interesting to play with (and I realize now I should probably see how hard it is to configure for the Prusa Mini and see how it does things).

There are some 3D printing utilities, but I haven't seen it heard anything about a built in slicer. On our additive side, we use GrabCAD Print for the Stratasys machines.

The utilities I've seen have been checking whether your print will fit in the volume and... That's about it. Let me know if you find something I'm not seeing, though.

I heard some mixed info on this setup being okayed for a certain amount of commercial work, but I haven't heard anything else. Given 3DS's... propensity for litigation, I'm not going to say anything on it until I see it in writing :v:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
I'd love love love a SW slicer + general 3d printing support, mostly b/c there's a paucity of deep-featured, robust resources geared towards the sort of commercial/industry users that use SW- like, licensed copies of SW- and are willing to pay for a subscription service. i'm building a rig for CAD work right now and will have SW installed about 10 minutes later, if I can access anything 3d printing i'll def nose around and report back

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Doctor Zero posted:

I've finally started using PrusaSlicer for FDM prints and I have to say you guys are crazy....

...crazy correct about it being awesome. I'm still working on fine tuning the settings but even where I am now is producing excellent, fast prints and great supports. Anyone have any guides for dialing it in, or is it just the usual speed adjustments and stuff? (I'm getting a fair bit more judder than I did with S3D even though the speeds should be the same (I think - they measure speeds differently). Also which infill do you prefer for models and such?

I usually use gyroid. It's fun to watch, even if it is slow to slice. It also has a few other nice physical and mathematical properties.

Cubic is probably 99% as good. Is faster to slice and to print.

I'm probably going to start using the newly introduced (v2.3+) support cubic and adaptive cubic, as they have the potential to be much faster, use less material.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gyroid with translucent filament looks so cool that I can't bring myself to use any other infill

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I'd love love love a SW slicer + general 3d printing support, mostly b/c there's a paucity of deep-featured, robust resources geared towards the sort of commercial/industry users that use SW- like, licensed copies of SW- and are willing to pay for a subscription service. i'm building a rig for CAD work right now and will have SW installed about 10 minutes later, if I can access anything 3d printing i'll def nose around and report back

Real interested in what you find - a handful of slicers will handle SLDPRT files, but not even Preform will take them.

I haven't futzed with some things on 3DX for printing from the platform, though. I'll see if I can't find any cool tools there.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
speaking of preform, bashing my head against their website b/c the download link never initiates a download, even after i give em all my info :argh: it looks like the closest thing to what i want, at any rate. also giving lychee a spin rn

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Do you have your ad blocker on?

Also, can't save as an STL after adding supports, I was hoping to do that at one point, too :/

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
I had to separately register first to get it to work, but yeah, once I realized I can't export .stls it was moot. Shame.

otoh lychee can natively save projects as .ctbs, which seems convenient- i only really use chitubox now for converting Prusa-prepared .stls for slicing so it's an inconvenience, maybe i can sidestep it entirely

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Hamburlgar posted:

The only ‘must have’ upgrades for the Ender 3/Pro/V2 are imo;

•Satsana fan shroud
•Metal extruder arm
•Yellow bed springs/silicon bed springs

The first 3 eliminate the main flaws with the machine. Fortunately they’re quick and cheap upgrades.
The 3rd is an extremely grippy print surface to help remove any print adhesion issues while also allowing you to remove the prints super easily once the print is done.

This is a good list. I still like glass but a flex plate is probably better and would certainly cut down on ringing.

It's super optional but I'm extremely happy with my direct drive conversion. $15 for a pancake stepper, $10 for a knockoff titan extruder, some printed brackets and a lil wiring and firmware hacking was all it took.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Any big upgrades worth it on my cheap rear end ender 3? I've already upgraded to the metal extruder/Bowden etc but I haven't really duh into the realm of sensors/boards/etc.

Kinda feels weird given the base machine was so cheap and I'm not exactly replacing dead parts or anything. Long term I think I'm mostly going to be printing wargame terrain etc

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

If you've already done the standard replacement bits (extruder, springs, tube, etc) and you're not having any problems with the performance than no, don't buy anything else .

The exception is if you're one of the people who really likes messing with your printer and treat the printer itself as the main part of the hobby, in which case you can look into things like a BLTouch or a filament runout sensor, which will give you plenty to fuss with but not much actual benefit if you aren't already having issues that they're meant to solve.

Edit: There's also things like the Ender Extender, if your "problem" is that the build area is too small for what you want to print and you're unwilling to just print in multiple pieces.

senrath fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 11, 2021

insta
Jan 28, 2009
You're not done upgrading until you can print a 5x5x5 inch part in PEEK by pressing a button, walking away, and coming back to a successful part.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

NewFatMike posted:

There are some 3D printing utilities, but I haven't seen it heard anything about a built in slicer. On our additive side, we use GrabCAD Print for the Stratasys machines.

The utilities I've seen have been checking whether your print will fit in the volume and... That's about it. Let me know if you find something I'm not seeing, though.

I heard some mixed info on this setup being okayed for a certain amount of commercial work, but I haven't heard anything else. Given 3DS's... propensity for litigation, I'm not going to say anything on it until I see it in writing :v:

Turns out you can predefine slicer work/paths and save them into a .3MF file from Solidworks, and then have your regular slicer take it from there.

Not sure what that does in practice but the video about the feature shows a preview image of the walls/infill structure/supports saved to the file.

EDIT: Maybe it's for SLA/Resin machines?

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Feb 11, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Are you talking about the Print3D utility or something else? I can take a deeper look at it today.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

NewFatMike posted:

Are you talking about the Print3D utility or something else? I can take a deeper look at it today.

It's apparently in the options when you save it as a .3MF file after going through the Print3D utility. So two steps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bX1poO4RuI

EDIT: also supposedly (though I haven't confirmed this) if your printer is one of the ones in Solidworks's list, you can send it to print directly on the printer if it's connected to your PC and drivers are installed (kinda like regular printers, but I'm sure this has the same workflow problems that are why Octoprint exists, unless modern Stratasys/etc. printers have built-in spooling of print file data that are large enough to just fully load the file before starting).

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

biracial bear for uncut posted:

EDIT: also supposedly (though I haven't confirmed this) if your printer is one of the ones in Solidworks's list, you can send it to print directly on the printer if it's connected to your PC and drivers are installed (kinda like regular printers, but I'm sure this has the same workflow problems that are why Octoprint exists, unless modern Stratasys/etc. printers have built-in spooling of print file data that are large enough to just fully load the file before starting).

I definitely knew about this, but I haven't ever seen a printer listed as supporting this. I'll take a look at that video soon.

E: yeah, I see what the video is doing. I gave it a shot with The built in Prusa setup, but the AMF and 3MF outputs have brought nothing into the slicer. In fact, my part comes in oriented opposite how I set it in SWX.

I tried generating slices, but I'm not getting anything in PrusaSlicer.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 11, 2021

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Seems like there's some software missing...

Oh, you know what? It's some of the software buried somewhere in SolidworksCAM's Additive Manufacturing settings (which may actually be buried in CAMWorks and require a separate license because they have an Additive Manufacturing product that is ridiculously expensive as an add-on, gently caress that).

EDIT: Here is their hilarious information page about it (complete with broken scripting for the page display about halfway down).

https://camworks.com/why-camworks/camworks-additive-manufacturing/

EDIT 2:

Looks like HCL is basically licensing this software for their CAM plugin for 3d printing.

https://www.materialise.com/en/software/magics/modules

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 11, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, I heard back from a friend who's on the CAMworks side, and that stuff is an additional, super pricey, add-on for CAMworks.

Makes sense since Materialise Magic is like 5 figures per seat.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
I've found my new favorite ender 3 mod

https://youtu.be/useH77MNs58

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

NewFatMike posted:

Yeah, I heard back from a friend who's on the CAMworks side, and that stuff is an additional, super pricey, add-on for CAMworks.

Makes sense since Materialise Magic is like 5 figures per seat.

I would love to see a demonstration of Materialize Magic and a resulting print in timelapse or something, because holy poo poo.