Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Yeah well my 18 month year old (?) Nephew is a big racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Perfect Element posted:

Coolcab, are all crimes more forgivable when committed by NHS staff?

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted" - the NHS Creed

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Coolcab, are all crimes more forgivable when committed by NHS staff?

mate, i've tried to avoid responding to you directly as i don't think i would be enormously kind.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Scikar posted:

And so the thread continues to be outraged at things people didn't say. It's a good job the people we're disagreeing with always deal in moral absolutes, so convenient!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Engage him in polite and enthusiastic conversation about it until you get all of the details, then shop him in.

Grassing to the cops is bad, except when it's really funny and the person on the receiving end is a massive prick.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm sympathetic to this, but for this detail:

"Throughout all of lockdown(s) he has not given a poo poo about covid restrictions"

That's not a medic getting burnt out, that's a medic with no regard for human life and who should not be a medic. I'm going to be the meganarc poster here and say he should be fired.

endlessmonotony posted:

Counterpoint: loving do, it's a pandemic.

kingturnip posted:

You could flag it up to the GMC, though.
They're not the filth, but they are responsible for ensuring he's fit to practice. He won't lose his license, but it might worry him enough to encourage him to change his behaviour.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Don't rat him out to the police because (a) they'll do gently caress all out of emergency services solidarity, (b) they haven't got the time, and (c) if they do it'll be a disproportionate and psysical response, especially if he's also guilty of ethnicities.

He is risking patient health though so absolutely do rat him out to his hospital or the GMC, especially if he's being that much of a bell end about it.

The idea that you never rat anyone out ever for anything can gently caress off.

Mugsbaloney posted:

VR typhoid mary continues to cut a swathe through the population, my neck is straining to hold the weight of the halo that magically appeared when i first decided not to turn him in (it is a halo made of dense metal attached to my neck by a rod) (actually no its a sign that says worlds dumbest idiot)

These are all from before that clarification and I can't be arsed pasting any more but there's a lot. Unless you're claiming that all of these posters have perfect grass-sense and knew this to be the case?

Besides the absolute specifics of this one case are irrelevant and I'm arguing the general principle that SIR SIR SIR SIR SIR HE BROKE THE RULES SIR SIR SIR SIR SIR is the reaction of a Daily Mail reader.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

My friend was freaked out when their 10yo kid today came out with some rubbish about how LQBTQ+ people get celebrated but WW2 only gets one day (?). So I guess he's been getting into some unsupervised Youtube algorithmic vortex and developing some wrong-think.

Obviously the answer is to parent your kid, but failing that does anyone have some breadtube-esque channels that would be successful and appropriate for leftist brainwashing of a pre-teen?
Tell them that after the camps were liberated the first thing the allies did was separate out all the gay prisoners (using the triangle code helpfully provided by Nazis) and throw them all back inside.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

CoolCab posted:

mate, i've tried to avoid responding to you directly as i don't think i would be enormously kind.

Um, alright. What have I done wrong, out of interest?

(e: and answer the question you COWARD)

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Obviously the answer is to parent your kid, but failing that does anyone have some breadtube-esque channels that would be successful and appropriate for leftist brainwashing of a pre-teen?

Unsure about appropriate for a 10 year old but I'd totally have enjoyed stuff like Thought slime, hbomberguy, Jack Saint, Jim sterling etc age 10 and thought I was being edgy and getting away with watching 'mature' content or some poo poo.

Could also recommend some politically neutral "entertainment that kids seem to like" channels from people who are (seemingly) decent. Sovietwomble, spiffing brit etc. Basically give them good non preachy content and treat them like an adult. Works well for my nieces who are pretty good these days despite having a raging blairite for a mum.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Just block YouTube, loving hell, it's the devil. There's enough content on iplayer and other streaming services for kids that won't turn them into Nazis.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
well at least the enormous demand for straw created ITT will keep farmers going now they can't export anything to Europe

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 11, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

CoolCab posted:

articulate what's false about it, please. two citizens, both broke the rules. why is it "not the same thing" other than the fact that one has a profession where they're forced into it? why is the person who is forced into this situation less justified in chafing against it than you are. which is to say, i have infinitely more patience for an NHS working breaking the rules than i do you.
A doctor

who is in contact with vulnerable people

all day

every day

completely disregarding the rules.

That is absolutely different to asking a random poster if they have broken the rules at all over a what, nine month period?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Besides the absolute specifics of this one case are irrelevant and I'm arguing the general principle that SIR SIR SIR SIR SIR HE BROKE THE RULES SIR SIR SIR SIR SIR is the reaction of a Daily Mail reader.

Yeah it is honestly disgusting behavior and beneath what I would have expected from most people in this thread

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Failed Imagineer posted:

My friend was freaked out when their 10yo kid today came out with some rubbish about how LQBTQ+ people get celebrated but WW2 only gets one day (?). So I guess he's been getting into some unsupervised Youtube algorithmic vortex and developing some wrong-think.

god-tier aeroplane snack :thermidor:

PhilosophyTube is good, as is Hbomberguy.

Hbomb also does like vids on gaming and streams and stuff too so may well break through to a 10yo if they're interested in that kind of thing.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

All those quotes have people saying that he's putting people at risk, which is a very different motivation than "omg he broke the rules".

They might be right, they might be wrong, but i think you're misrepresenting what are earnestly held beliefs

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Thanks for the Junior Breadtube recommendations, people

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My midweek shitpost wasn't a particularly serious comment so much as driven by boredom from work, so I'm sorry for the dumb comment and sparking this all off. I can 100% guarantee I wouldn't go snitching on him in the same situation anyway (because I'm a massive coward).

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Strom Cuzewon posted:

All those quotes have people saying that he's putting people at risk, which is a very different motivation than "omg he broke the rules".

They might be right, they might be wrong, but i think you're misrepresenting what are earnestly held beliefs

It's still grassing

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Oh yeah just seen Mebh's recommendation for Thought Slime and Jim Sterling and I would second both of those too.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

My midweek shitpost wasn't a particularly serious comment so much as driven by boredom from work, so I'm sorry for the dumb comment and sparking this all off. I can 100% guarantee I wouldn't go snitching on him in the same situation anyway (because I'm a massive coward).

Don't worry I'll get him.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Don't worry I'll get him.

you are the reason I said most people

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Rumda posted:

you are the reason I said most people

Yeah, evidently like some NHS employees, I don't consider myself "most people."

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Rumda posted:

It's still grassing

Do motivations not count then?

Edit: By which I mean, you were literally calling out peoples motivations, so of course motivations count. Which is different from the question of if you should narc on someone you believe is putting others at risk.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 11, 2021

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I get that its frustrating to read people appealling to the laws of the land when said rules changed to allow Michael gove to buy a sandwich and that we should be in solidarity with NHS workers but I think its unfair to to lump people in with Daily Mail readers for quite reasonably wanting a front line NHS worker to be forced to abide by social distancing not because they're jealous about haircuts and holidays or w/e but because theres a pandemic on right now for fucks sake and yes frontline medical staff should be held to a higher standard than your poo poo racist uncle on facebook.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Grassing people in to the police is grassing people into the police. If you would do if for a doctor not following social distancing guidelines you are more likely to to it for someone stealing food to live, or vandalizing an abusive landlords property.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
and maybe when the time comes to it that your neighbor is trans, because the law says that they are all dangerous predators

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Peanut butter filled pretzels are loving amazing

Rumda posted:

Grassing people in to the police is grassing people into the police. If you would do if for a doctor not following social distancing guidelines you are more likely to to it for someone stealing food to live, or vandalizing an abusive landlords property.

I don’t really buy that. One activity places people at real risk; the ones you’ve posted don’t. As someone has said, it’s about the motivation. To punish someone or protect property isn’t the same as protecting people’s lives.

therattle fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 11, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rumda posted:

NHS Doctor Index Number: 24601

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

therattle posted:

Peanut butter filled pretzels are loving amazing

I don’t really buy that. One activity places people at real risk; the ones you’ve posted don’t. As someone has said, it’s about the motivation. To punish someone or protect property isn’t the same as protecting people’s lives.

Its still the same behavior. Its still turning people over to the power of an vicious and uncaring state

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
peanut butter pretzels are excellent, it's true.

again, i wrote up a response and have elected not to post it on the basis it would be unkind, i don't feel like expanding on that at this point.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rumda posted:

and maybe when the time comes to it that your neighbor is trans, because the law says that they are all dangerous predators

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
Has this been posted yet

https://twitter.com/mrnickharvey/status/1359844982740385797

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

goddamnedtwisto posted:

These are all from before that clarification and I can't be arsed pasting any more but there's a lot. Unless you're claiming that all of these posters have perfect grass-sense and knew this to be the case?

"oh, I wasn't arguing that, I was actually arguing something different"

loving weak man. where is your posting honour

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Rumda posted:

lmao

I dare say if we lived in a communist state and it was illegal to be a nazi most of this thread would be tripping over themselves reporting the local tommy robinsons to the police (i know i would)

But apparently no, "no grassing" is a moral absolute :colbert:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mr Phillby posted:

I get that its frustrating to read people appealling to the laws of the land when said rules changed to allow Michael gove to buy a sandwich and that we should be in solidarity with NHS workers but I think its unfair to to lump people in with Daily Mail readers for quite reasonably wanting a front line NHS worker to be forced to abide by social distancing not because they're jealous about haircuts and holidays or w/e but because theres a pandemic on right now for fucks sake and yes frontline medical staff should be held to a higher standard than your poo poo racist uncle on facebook.

And again people are ignoring that all of the posters I quoted suggested grassing without even considering having a word first. That's my problem.

Now whether its then worth escalating if having a word fails is a very different argument and one where I'd argue, albeit with less intensity, that it's still not something worth ruining someones life over - something I think even the OP agrees with given a charitable reading of this post:

If you could complain to the GMC anonymously I would probably do that, because I am a coward. However, you need to submit your name and details, and I'm just not prepared to have my name written down on some paper work which could potentially end the career of someone I've been friends with for 20 years.

(A less charitable reading of this would be that they don't mind if they ruin the person's life, but don't want to risk having repercussions for it but I'm assuming it's just a bit of a clunky way of saying that they'd feel like poo poo if it *did* end up spiralling into something really bad and would rather not have their name attached to it - I'm stretching good faith to its limits here)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WhatEvil posted:

Oh yeah just seen Mebh's recommendation for Thought Slime and Jim Sterling and I would second both of those too.

Thought slime might be a little bit adult in subject matter for a 10yo but, on the other hand, if they area already watching the ben shapiro weirdos perhaps it won't be any more adult than what they're already watching, and probably significantly more adult in content.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rumda posted:

Its still the same behavior. Its still turning people over to the power of an vicious and uncaring state

Sure. Some behaviour warrants that. The argument is really whether this particular behaviour does. I can see valid arguments in both sides. In this particular instance I don’t think that the police would be my first port of call.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CoolCab posted:

did you explain that to the virus? that, if your ears were untidy it would be a problem, and as such it needed to hold tight and not transfer while you removed it? how did it respond?

and i'm sorry "pretty much" is unclear - let me ask again. since this time last year, you've not been in someone else's home? or broken the rules in any way?

The one haircut I described was the only thing I've done that you listed, and it was approached with the utmost care. I took my mask off briefly because the barber asked me to, and clearly he cared about being safe - he was wearing a full face surgical shield, had hand sanitizer and wipes around, only him and one customer in at a time, etc. This was several months ago, I think the rules allowed for it at the time but I have a very bad memory. What the rules do not allow for, and has always been an insanely stupid idea, is inviting friends over to your house to breathe up each other's noses and sneaking off for a quick holiday.

Frankly I think the only reason you're so angry about this is that as an NHS worker, you see yourself in this idiot and you're jumping to defend his irrational and dangerous actions. Have you broken the rules yourself? Perhaps in a way that might recklessly endanger other people?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I went away from the forums for a few hours in the hope that this would blow over, but that's it, I'm reporting you all to the BAD POSTING police

:smuggo:

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Lmao the Bristol West AGM is happening tonight and is apparently a complete shitshow. Closing in on 5 hours long and still people are missing ballots (even the MP) and haven’t been able to vote.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

lmao

I dare say if we lived in a communist state and it was illegal to be a nazi most of this thread would be tripping over themselves reporting the local tommy robinsons to the police (i know i would)

But apparently no, "no grassing" is a moral absolute :colbert:

So I actually haven't seen the whole of this discussion but yeah. Reporting people who are putting vulnerable people in danger and such to the pigs is fine IMO. gently caress the pigs but gently caress those people also. Like if you found out somebody was stealing money from people in old folks' homes you'd report them, I'd hope.

Reporting someone for vandalising a Starbucks or some poo poo, or somebody stealing food or sanitary products or essentials etc. is not cool.

I don't think this viewpoint should be controversial among leftists.

E: Like yes ideally the police wouldn't exist and neither would poverty and the like but given the world we actually live in I think the above is correct.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Thought slime might be a little bit adult in subject matter for a 10yo but, on the other hand, if they area already watching the ben shapiro weirdos perhaps it won't be any more adult than what they're already watching, and probably significantly more adult in content.

Yeah I figured if they're already picking up awful poo poo may as well try to get the algorithm to go the other way and at 10 he'll likely still get some of it. Which is better than none. Jim sterling for sure tho. Dumb, loud, appealing (and amazing for these reasons) but unashamedly smash the capitalists and full of good ideas.

Plus they piss a lot of my colleagues off.

(seriously, so many people who hate anyone that calls for a boycott of games companies with abusive employment or business practices because "I would feel so bad if I worked hard on a game and people boycotted it" fffffffffffff.)

Mebh fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 12, 2021