Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I'm currently having some issues getting my PC to load Windows. Everything starts as normal and the drives where Windows show up, but it won't load into windows.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/353659715835658242/809206116478222366/20210210_183539_HDR.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/353659715835658242/809206131666190346/20210210_183551_HDR.jpg

I do notice that compared to the explanation from the MSI website,

https://us.msi.com/support/technical_details/MB_Boot_OS_Entry

It's not giving me a "Boot Mode Select Option" and am wondering if that might be connected to this issue. Otherwise, drives and all parts work perfectly normal.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/353659715835658242/809210605319487488/20210210_185348_HDR.jpg

Would it being AHCI instead of RAID matter? Also, BIOS Mode is listed as CSM/UEFI.

Edit: Switched to CSM and after some setup's...MOFO IS UP AND RUNNING AGAIN!!!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/353659715835658242/809212629700313138/20210210_190153.jpg

Edit: No internet though and I don't know why which bothers me.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm almost curious to dig up the old versions of this thread to see what my goals/responses were way back when. I might've have even done it twice before.

I do have my pcparts list still saved, I think this version was revised after posting since I have a slightly different copy of it too https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Khanstant/saved/KyDscf

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

For the third time in my life, I built a computer today based on recommendations from goons.

I never thought my last machine was slow (i5 3570K build from 2012) but holy moly, this 5600x makes my last machine feel like it was running off a 5400RPM HDD.

Thanks everyone for the help!
Yeah I went from running an i7-3700/GTX 1060/HDD build to my current 5600x/RTX 3070/NVME build and it's like going from a bike to a Ferrari

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

Electric Crayon posted:

Failed to secure a ryzen 5900 or a 5950 from the Best Buy drop. I wish I lived in a city with a Microcenter or any sort of store that received actual units so I could just waste a night, pick one up and build my computer - but I guess the South Florida metropolitan area is unworthy of such luxury. My 3090 will continue to collect dust.

The Tustin Microcenter had hundreds of these today, I showed up like 3-4 hours after people online started buzzing and was able to walk in and walk out with a 5900x. It felt surreal after the online hunt of the last three months.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

Here's a revised list that addresses your concerns and comes in just on budget. I've saved money where you've spent unnecessarily (850w psu, x570 mobo, Samsung 970 evo) and gone for a 'super sexy brushed aluminium smooth front' well regarded case that doesn't break the bank

Thank you once more. Just finished ordering everything. Added one case fan, had to gnab red RAM since everything else OOS. Perhaps by March I will have shiny new computer.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

I managed to pick up a 5600x and figured it was time to build a new PC, but I'm having a hell of a time finding a definitive answer on which parts to go for, especially the motherboard. I use my PC for gaming, hooked up to my TV typically running at 1440p with G-sync, and photo and 4k video editing, and I'm looking at a budget of around $1300 for now as I'm reusing my RTX 2060, and plan to upgrade to a 30 series whenever I can get my hands on one.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WM8Wwz

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $299.99)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: B550 something???
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1024.90

The memory is also a bit confusing, the last time I built a computer I just slapped in the fastest ram my motherboard supported and called it a day, but after I picked out the above RAM I started reading about the Infinity Fabric and my head started to spin. Should I go with lower speed memory, or is this a lot more straightforward than it seems?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

particle9 posted:

The Tustin Microcenter had hundreds of these today, I showed up like 3-4 hours after people online started buzzing and was able to walk in and walk out with a 5900x. It felt surreal after the online hunt of the last three months.

Sounds like it was the same for other Microcenter locations (including the one near me) as well, If you still need a Ryzen 5000 CPU and live near a Microcenter I would check ASAP.

CapnZStyle
Oct 13, 2009
I have been lurking in this thread since last summer deciding if the time was right to build my first computer. The last desktop I had was a prebuilt from 2000 and the last laptop I bought was in 2009. I managed to snag a RTX 3070 in the Best Buy drop this week so it looks like I’m all in on my first build.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Mostly gaming with some light web surfing and light productivity work
What's your budget? $1500 including the purchased graphics card. There is some flexibility here
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? N/A
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I’ll be starting with a repurposed 1080p monitor from work and upgrade to a 1440p/144hz monitor down the line. I’ve been console gaming for the past 15 years so I’d lean towards framerate over ultra settings.

I live near enough to a Microcenter and they appear to have 5600Xs in stock. We’re not wired for ethernet so I would need a wifi solution. I’ve picked up some tips from the thread over the past 6 months, but I’d appreciate any build options. Also, anything to simplify the build or offer extra troubleshooting would be helpful.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Khanstant posted:

Thank you once more. Just finished ordering everything. Added one case fan, had to gnab red RAM since everything else OOS. Perhaps by March I will have shiny new computer.

Ah I didn't see your edited post last night, no problem! If I swapped the RAM it was probably because the Crucial Ballistix was marginally cheaper, assuming all other values were the same (3600/CL 16) and I guess a bias towards Crucial RAM because I've heard it plays best with Ryzen processors along with being unassuming and low profile so it shouldn't interfere with your cooler.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Breadnought posted:

I managed to pick up a 5600x and figured it was time to build a new PC, but I'm having a hell of a time finding a definitive answer on which parts to go for, especially the motherboard. I use my PC for gaming, hooked up to my TV typically running at 1440p with G-sync, and photo and 4k video editing, and I'm looking at a budget of around $1300 for now as I'm reusing my RTX 2060, and plan to upgrade to a 30 series whenever I can get my hands on one.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WM8Wwz

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $299.99)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: B550 something???
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1024.90

The memory is also a bit confusing, the last time I built a computer I just slapped in the fastest ram my motherboard supported and called it a day, but after I picked out the above RAM I started reading about the Infinity Fabric and my head started to spin. Should I go with lower speed memory, or is this a lot more straightforward than it seems?

There's slightly better value coolers available, for example Scythe Fuma 2 or Mugen 5, although looking at US stores suggests they're both out of stock/marked up to a stupid degree, in which case sure stick with the NH-U12S. With the motherboard, don't overthink it. Just work out what you want or need based on front and rear I/O, whether you want WiFi on the board, USB C on the back, and you're good to go. All the major motherboard brands are reputable enough these days. Ditto memory - 3200 or 3600 CL16 RAM from a reputable manufacturer is the 'sweet spot' for Ryzen. Go with whichever is cheapest. I'm biased towards Crucial but you'll be fine with anything from the major brands. There's a whole rabbit whole of RAM tinkering that you can dive down but given that it seems to produce miniscule tangible performance benefits I struggle to see the point. Just set the XMP and be happy.

Do you need a PCIe 4.0 NVMe that's over the twice the price of a decent PCIe 3.0 NVMe like the WD SN550 which is the standard recommendation itt? If you have to think about the answer, it's likely 'no'. The actual performance benefits of PCIe 4 storage are practically non-existent for the vast majority of use cases at the moment. Given your stated desire to play games and photo and video editing, I'd say getting the 2TB SN550 for the same price as a 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe would be a much better investment. 1 TB fills up fast these days, especially if you're storing 4k video files on there.

Edit: you can also trim a few dollars off by dropping the PSU, 850W is overkill, unless you're after a 3090. 650W for a 3070 and 750W for a 3080 is plenty of overhead. (My 3080 5600x system runs without a hitch on a 600W PSU)

CapnZStyle posted:

I’d appreciate any build options. Also, anything to simplify the build or offer extra troubleshooting would be helpful.

Here you go. Included Wifi on the motherboard, a fully modular PSU and the thread favourite ATX case Meshify C, which I gather is easy to build in. Same advice as to the above poster: the Scythe CPU coolers are a little better value if you can get them at RRP, and are also very easy to install and come with an extremely useful screwdriver that I ended up doing my entire build with. Nothing wrong with the Noctua though.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 11, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Finally got all my parts in and built, I forgot how tiring this was. Also I made about a dozen various mistakes like mounting the CPU cooler fan the wrong way round because it's been too long since I last built a system.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

njsykora posted:

Finally got all my parts in and built, I forgot how tiring this was. Also I made about a dozen various mistakes like mounting the CPU cooler fan the wrong way round because it's been too long since I last built a system.

I'd forgotten what a pain in the rear end those clips that hold the fan onto the cooler can be when you forget how they're supposed to be attached, but then how great they are once you figure it out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sarcastro posted:

I'd forgotten what a pain in the rear end those clips that hold the fan onto the cooler can be when you forget how they're supposed to be attached, but then how great they are once you figure it out.

This was literally 15 minutes of fiddling since the cooler instructions were zero help in figuring it out.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It took me like an hour to plug the tiny front panel connectors to the mobo

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Sarcastro posted:

I had to watch an install youtube video and spent literally half an hour or so trying to get mine on before realizing you really need to just loving go for it.

CapnZStyle
Oct 13, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

A very helpful build.

Thanks a lot. It looks like my Microcenter has that motherboard in stock so I can get the $20 rebate for bundling with the 5600X.

Newegg is currently listing the Scythe Mugen 5 in stock here for $50: https://www.newegg.com/scythe-scmg-...0&source=region

I'm guessing I should just jump on that?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

My move is apparently to see how many times I can make myself take the motherboard in and out of the case.

I can build an entire computer without needing to reference the manual but I have never successfully remembered to put the IO shield in.

All the other parts are more exciting :(

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

CapnZStyle posted:

Thanks a lot. It looks like my Microcenter has that motherboard in stock so I can get the $20 rebate for bundling with the 5600X.

Newegg is currently listing the Scythe Mugen 5 in stock here for $50: https://www.newegg.com/scythe-scmg-...0&source=region

I'm guessing I should just jump on that?

Yeah that's a good price.

The meshify C comes with different flavours of side panel - you can buy one with tinted tempered glass, clear glass or no panel at all, so have a look at the options and decide what you'd want. Also I think grabbing a couple of extra fans is recommended, arctic p12s are cheap and good.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

spunkshui posted:

My move is apparently to see how many times I can make myself take the motherboard in and out of the case.

I can build an entire computer without needing to reference the manual but I have never successfully remembered to put the IO shield in.

All the other parts are more exciting :(

Such is the way.

CapnZStyle
Oct 13, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yeah that's a good price.

The meshify C comes with different flavours of side panel - you can buy one with tinted tempered glass, clear glass or no panel at all, so have a look at the options and decide what you'd want. Also I think grabbing a couple of extra fans is recommended, arctic p12s are cheap and good.

With the Arctic P12 case fans, go with the PWM PST versions?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CapnZStyle posted:

With the Arctic P12 case fans, go with the PWM PST versions?

PWM fans are almost always better as long as you have headers for them. Usually better static pressure, and significantly more granular control. They can usually spin at lower RPM for less noise too.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Butterfly Valley posted:

It's very worth it imo and the 5600x is a lot easier to find now than it used to be, way easier than the GPUs at least. You're also getting a PCIe 4 compatible platform and have to spend less on a cooler/psu than Intel equivalents.

well you convinced me and i managed to snag a 5600x when AMD.com stocked about an hour ago so I guess I'm really building a PC.

Now to figure out everything else.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Normally this thread discourages building but the last page has realllly got me itching it ditch my 2500k for the Future Experience. Hell I'm tempted to buy that dell prebuilt, something I've not done in about 20 years

CloFan fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 11, 2021

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
I was going to try and reuse parts from my existing build for this. Not sure what people think. I was pretty sure I wanted to ditch the case and go with something bigger like the Cooler Master NR200 or even an NZXT 210 or 510. My biggest question mark right now is if the NH-L12 will clear the new motherboard. It's super confusing I've found videos on youtube saying it's possible but they did revisions of the NH-L12 and I'm not sure if the revisions are somehow smaller than my MkII or what the deal is. Mini-ITX cases all look the best to me but there is something nice about not having to work in such a small space. Part of me just wants to save money and see if this fits but it's going to be super annoying when/if it doesn't. Any feedback is appreciated.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dKry3Z

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

particle9 posted:

Any feedback is appreciated.

It's not really clear what you're trying to build here - which are the old parts, what are the prospective new parts?

My immediate thought was you need an SF750 to power all that. Quick googling suggests the standard NH-L12s doesn't fit that mobo without removing the VRM heatsink, meaning you then can't screw down the NVMe cover.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

njsykora posted:

This was literally 15 minutes of fiddling since the cooler instructions were zero help in figuring it out.

I have a post-graduate professional degree and it still took me three attempts and three looks back at the picture in the instructions to figure out that I was putting them on the wrong side. Also managed to poke myself directly under the thumbnail with one of them, and it still stings today. But those fans got nicely clipped onto the massive cooling tower in the end, drat it!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Butterfly Valley posted:

Congratulations! Post a build pic?

I couldn't possibly. I feel like I've just won a beauty contest for uglies! It does the job but pro builders might puke.

Sarcastro posted:

This is good to hear, since I'm about to move from an i5-4690k up to a 5600x myself (amongst other upgrades relative to a 2015 system), so I hope my ssssssssssmokin' experience is as good as yours.

I maybe exaggerate a little but most programs are blink-and-you'll-miss-it startups. My wife, who is oblivious to tech advancement, actually said "wow" when using it earlier today though.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I couldn't possibly. I feel like I've just won a beauty contest for uglies! It does the job but pro builders might puke.

I maybe exaggerate a little but most programs are blink-and-you'll-miss-it startups. My wife, who is oblivious to tech advancement, actually said "wow" when using it earlier today though.

You’ll find those of us who post often are far from pro builders.

The inside of my box looks like a fire waiting to happen. I love windowless cases.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
If anyone is having issues finding Ryzen CPU's, I've actually found and set aside some good deals I've managed to find on Ebay for the Ryzen 7 5800x that I can link to for those interested.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

The inside of my box looks like a fire waiting to happen. I love windowless cases.

I've thought of posting pictures of mine, but it looks like a janky mess I feel like. May post some later anyways for feedback.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

It's not really clear what you're trying to build here - which are the old parts, what are the prospective new parts?

My immediate thought was you need an SF750 to power all that. Quick googling suggests the standard NH-L12s doesn't fit that mobo without removing the VRM heatsink, meaning you then can't screw down the NVMe cover.

Everything is the old parts except for the cpu/mobo. Everything I've found online says the NH-L12s won't fit like you said and then I found a video of a guy doing it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7Kr9gTrwTo

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

particle9 posted:

Everything is the old parts except for the cpu/mobo. Everything I've found online says the NH-L12s won't fit like you said and then I found a video of a guy doing it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7Kr9gTrwTo

NH-L12s and NH-L12 Ghost S1 edition have different clearances.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

When just about finished with my recent build, I realized I made no effort to rearrange the case's included motherboard standoffs. I think one was already properly in place. I'd have to unplug and remove just about everything to fix it (including the stubborn AIO radiator, and would probably need to remove and re-paste the heatsink) but no crashes yet, so hell yeah I'm riding it out.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

enojy posted:

When just about finished with my recent build, I realized I made no effort to rearrange the case's included motherboard standoffs. I think one was already properly in place. I'd have to unplug and remove just about everything to fix it (including the stubborn AIO radiator, and would probably need to remove and re-paste the heatsink) but no crashes yet, so hell yeah I'm riding it out.

If the standoff is in a bad place you’re at a really high risk for causing a short.

Something to consider.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Thanks for the advice! I took a trip to Micro Center and grabbed the rest of the parts, just finished building and it doesn't seem like anything's fried!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Hahahaha! I don't feel so bad now.

My case is the Be quiet! Pure Base 500DX and it was great to build in. Also the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports cooler was easy peasy to install. The QR code took me to animated instructions and a video.

My last build used the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, and maybe it's the 9 year gap or more experience with this, but the Hyper 212 was such a pain in the bollocks to install that it was easily the most difficult component to deal with.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My hyper 212 was definitely about 50 percent of the build time.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Breadnought posted:

Thanks for the advice! I took a trip to Micro Center and grabbed the rest of the parts, just finished building and it doesn't seem like anything's fried!

:toot:

WattsvilleBlues posted:

the Hyper 212 was such a pain in the bollocks to install that it was easily the most difficult component to deal with.

Every listing I've seen for this has people in the reviews complaining about the installation so you're definitely not alone. I'll actively avoid recommending it in the future, sounds like the Arctic Freezer 34 is a much better budget user-friendly option.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

:toot:

Every listing I've seen for this has people in the reviews complaining about the installation so you're definitely not alone. I'll actively avoid recommending it in the future, sounds like the Arctic Freezer 34 is a much better budget user-friendly option.

Also, cool colours! I got black though because stock for coolers isn't great at the moment for some reason 🧐

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It might be socket dependent but I didn't have any issues with the 212 and wouldn't have thought twice about it. Having all the parts for AM4 and LGAx in one bag was kind of silly, but there's a manual to show you what you need. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, though.