Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

cool av posted:

sure...but there's value to be found in the "garbage" (the commit history as it really happened). is it too much to ask to be able to see it when I want to, and filter it out when I don't?

There absolutely isn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

cool av posted:

i'm mostly just saying git should have a way of tracking which commits are intended to be consumed by which tools (eg. bisect) or pipelines, and not lose that information when you merge and force you to rely on a separate database to track it.

(not to mention all the things that a tool built for source control shouldn't do that git does, although iirc it wasn't built for source control)

What?

Wat?

WAT?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you see, git provides room for the holy wars and does not get involved in them itself. dvcs holy war generating machine, really

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Of course git was built for source control, what the gently caress would it be built for? The history is literally that linux kernel needed new source control sw, and git was created for that.

And I assume in your weird world, only merge commits are intended for ci, bisecting, etc, and guess what, you can do that. Our resident psyduck has even already said how, you go through first parents of merge commits.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
The unsung 13th labor of hercules, caring about the first parent merge commit option for bisects.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

my fav git story is torvalds mentioning in passing early on (might've been in this 2007 tech talk? idk) that a lot of git's design decisions were based on looking at whatever svn did and doing exactly the opposite

branches in the source tree? nah lets put source trees in branches

sequential commits? screw that lets have random hashes

referencing objects by path? nope gonna just hash that too

resolving merge conflicts by hand on the server? just force the developer to deal with it before they push

etc

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Look, again, workflows are all based on need. There's a lot of good rationale for everything here. Bisect, squash, do whatever, just don't be a loving idiot, and make sure you use Emacs for merging. You'll gently caress it all up otherwise, just like the rest of your life choices.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Progressive JPEG posted:

my fav git story is torvalds mentioning in passing early on (might've been in this 2007 tech talk? idk) that a lot of git's design decisions were based on looking at whatever svn did and doing exactly the opposite

branches in the source tree? nah lets put source trees in branches

sequential commits? screw that lets have random hashes

referencing objects by path? nope gonna just hash that too

resolving merge conflicts by hand on the server? just force the developer to deal with it before they push

etc

every single one of those decisions was cool and good sothat was a great decisionn heuristic :colbert:

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Nomnom Cookie posted:

no, there isn't value in 50 commits with log messages in varying combinations of "fix", "gently caress", "please", "try", and "this time"

speak for yourself! they have sentimental value.

but seriously even if you personally never needed it, it is useful sometimes. for instance if other branches were merged into your branch at various times.

Xarn posted:

Of course git was built for source control, what the gently caress would it be built for? The history is literally that linux kernel needed new source control sw, and git was created for that.

And I assume in your weird world, only merge commits are intended for ci, bisecting, etc, and guess what, you can do that. Our resident psyduck has even already said how, you go through first parents of merge commits.

first-parent is a ridiculous hack that sort of works if you're careful (a common theme in git)

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

cool av posted:

but seriously even if you personally never needed it, it is useful sometimes. for instance if other branches were merged into your branch at various times.

don’t do that. you have main. branch off that, then squash merge. that’s it. if you feel a need to get fancier then your branches are living too long. stop doing that

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

"I could not replicate the issue because the same session is used in all tabs"

the issue literally says "if you open multiple tabs the same session is used and one tab overwrites the object in the other" I mean ffs

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

i think devs naturally become really good at telling users they don't want what they want, for reasons, when the real reason is what they want would require a significant amount of rework.

heck, we're proud of it a lot of the time and probably right a lot of the time too.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"you can have this for a nickel or that for 700,000 dollars"

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

cool av posted:

i think devs naturally become really good at telling users they don't want what they want, for reasons, when the real reason is what they want would require a significant amount of rework.

heck, we're proud of it a lot of the time and probably right a lot of the time too.

On the flip side of this users/"product guys" often don't really understand what they are asking for or how hard a problem is to actually solve completely.

I've made search systems before where people get upset at some aspect of the order of returned and say that I should have it sort by "best match." it's only when you can get them to try and describe what "best match" means in general and not just how they wanted this particular query to come back that they realize what they are asking for is for me to make the computer read minds.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Zaxxon posted:

how they wanted this particular query to come back that they realize what they are asking for is for me to make the computer read minds.

"aight we'll give it a ton of tunables"

"now it's too complicated"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i've used a ton of them, but opendiff is still the best diff tool i've used for merge conflicts

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Achmed Jones posted:

i've used a ton of them, but opendiff is still the best diff tool i've used for merge conflicts

whats good about opendiff?

I really like pycharms as well. Merge all non conflicting in one click and usually 10 seconds to deconflict most issues.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
git pull origin master -Xours && git push --force

bing bong so simple.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

My work has us use the global gitignore file for os-specific files. So instead of adding desktop.ini or .ds_store to the repo's .gitignore once and being done with it, every person who works on it has to do the same thing

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Do you at least have a lot of repos? :v:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

cool av posted:

I spend a lot of time doing this because I went sideways into the dev side from being a BA sorry "product owner", and so much of the time the first request is for something wild that is actually possible but would take loads of time and I know they'll never use

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

brand engager posted:

My work has us use the global gitignore file for os-specific files. So instead of adding desktop.ini or .ds_store to the repo's .gitignore once and being done with it, every person who works on it has to do the same thing

that's the right way to do it

otherwise every single repo's .gitignore has to have the os files plus whatever crap each person's editor is putting into the project directory

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

my homie dhall posted:

that's the right way to do it

otherwise every single repo's .gitignore has to have the os files plus whatever crap each person's editor is putting into the project directory

it's technically right but practically impossible as the number of people involved goes beyond, like, 2. see also: tabs vs spaces

do whatever you gotta do to keep crap out. nothing cares about a repo gitignore that's ten lines longer than theoretically necessary

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

like I'm happy to set up a tools-appropriate global gitignore for myself, but I wouldn't even bother mentioning the existence of that feature to teammates, let alone insist that they use it

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
take the passive-aggressive option of setting up a precommit hook that rejects commits containing those files and prints a link to documentation on setting up a global gitignore

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Jabor posted:

take the passive-aggressive option of setting up a precommit hook that rejects commits containing those files and prints a link to documentation on setting up a global gitignore
how will you distribute that hook though

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Jabor posted:

let's add "precommit hooks are not ci" to the list alongside "mirrors are not backups" and "javadocs are not documentation"

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Jabor posted:

nah take the aggressive option, build fails CI, gently caress you

have a nit to pick? right into CI it goes. if you can't automate it, shut the gently caress up about it

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Sagacity posted:

how will you distribute that hook though

we have a few repos where the build script installs git hooks. it works about as well as a local check can.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
don't use git hooks, run ci checks as part of your pr process instead. i want to be able to make as many trash commits as i want on my private branch, and also commit hooks tend to be slow as poo poo and i really don't want to have to wait for a whole bunch of them to run in sequence when i'm doing an interactive rebase or something like that.

the pr workflow should also only permit rebase merges, so that the ci checks test what actually gets merged

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
As long as you run CI against merge commits, you don't have to limit yourself to rebase merges tho.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lmao

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

if you bulled that bullshit here it would be an immediate sentencing of your hands being trampled by the company brontosaurus

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

what a champ.

reminds me, how good is the state of the art in determining whether 2 unicode strings "look the same to a person" these days?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

welp my dumb python / flask / uwsgi app isnt doing 100% cpu because of the one thread i had in there, as it still happens after we removed the route that could trigger it

and it doesnt appear to be actual usage, cause it has jumped up both when under some live testing, and at 4 am when nobody was using it

gonna have to use actual debugging i guess ughhhh

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

now trying with one multithreaded uwsgi process and if that doesnt work, with several single-threaded uwsgi processes

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Legit question, can you generate a valgrind profile on Python? I've never actually looked into it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i have no idea how to debug python aside from lots of logging

would like a good primer on it tbh. im pretty good with lldb and breakpoints and stuff, but python is a black box to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

https://docs.python.org/3/library/pdb.html ?