Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think tomino is an actual physical comedy genius because when he decides to do it in a show you always get like a dozen different weird physical gags in one scene and none of them drag on and all of them make the characters way more expressive and fun to watch. plus like, the guy's dialog writing already gets absolutely wild so honestly it just kind of fits. i love this exchange that happens in zz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

mashymre is just great in general

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the bit earlier in that episode where his soldiers are grieving over the deaths of their comrades and he just says "what?! is madame haman's memorial satellite not enough for you people!?" and the camera just cuts over to a giant cross gravestone floating in space is. one of the most incredible jokes i've ever seen in a sci fi anime.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mai otome shattered my heart, will, and patience for anime with lesbian characters but choose to spend too much time on people wanting to gently caress their own dad and other people's dads. i am no longer friends with mai otome and now i am more bitter enemies with mai hime than i ever was.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
https://twitter.com/_miyann/status/1359839645752651778

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Willo567 posted:

Should I watch ZZ Gundam? People say the first half is bad, but from what I've played of the SRW games, I loving love Judau
Besides what Colonel + other goons have already mentioned, it's like a person who knows how to do really good pranks and you can't really stay mad at them because goddamn.

Only, y'know, an anime.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I saw a bit of gundam wing maybe 14? years ago and thought it was only ok. Is there another gundam I should try? There's some crazy one with a battle arena or something that people reference a lot, is that one actually good or did a lot of people just happen to catch it because it was on american tv (?) at some point?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

imo just look at the different AUs like Wing, G (this is the other one you're talking about) etc and pick one that looks interesting to you. this would also work for more standalone UC stuff like 0080 or 08th MS

-or-

you can start the UC trilogy with original Gundam 0079 and then do the later entries (Zeta, ZZ, CCA) as you feel in the mood for them

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

there is a lot of gundam, that fills a lot of different niches, at this point you can probably find a gundam somewhere that fits whatever mood youre in. G is an extremely silly shonen battle anime, wing is about cute sad boys, UC mostly takes itself seriously, greco makes your head hurt, etc

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 11, 2021

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
There's a gundam podcast thats pretty good. They do an episode-by-episode breakdown

https://gundampodcast.com/

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

like to look back on me watching Gundam, i definitely saw bits of Wing and G on tv but didn't watch any fully until Turn A. based mostly on thinking the key visual for it looked cool and that it was simulwatched here at one point.

after that i basically went through things release order from the first, but also started watching AUs that were coming out at the time like Build Fighters and G Reco.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

redreader posted:

I saw a bit of gundam wing maybe 14? years ago and thought it was only ok. Is there another gundam I should try? There's some crazy one with a battle arena or something that people reference a lot, is that one actually good or did a lot of people just happen to catch it because it was on american tv (?) at some point?

Don't base your Gundam opinions on Wing alone, lots of hardcore Gundam fans find it incredibly "meh'.

Also, G Gundam is actually good.

There's a lot of it and a lot of it I haven't even seen but it's expansive and varied enough it's really a thing now where you have to judge something Gundam on its own merits rather than because the name "Gundam" is attached. The original and Zeta probably work best for judging it "as a whole" because they're touchstones for every subsequent series are actually good in themselves, but generally, be willing to explore the series

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gundam isnt really a series with a consistent tone or appeal, yeah. what are you looking for in a sci-fi mecha anime? like, g gundam is over the top action, wing is slow-paced politics and weird aimless meandering, seed is melodrama, ibo is like halfway to a mafia movie, etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

incidentally the best ones are turn-a, ibo, and wing

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the best gundams? thats right, its build fighters, build fighters try, and brave battle warriors

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

the best gundams? that's right, it's sd gundam

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

the best gundam? Zoids

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
What am I looking for: I liked robotech (about to watch 'do you remember love' today, since I got a job offer yesterday and I can relax and stop looking for work). I loved hunter x hunter. I like jojo, I'm enjoying planetes, I liked that abyss anime a friend recommended last year. Is there a gundam like any of those things?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

*typing the data furiously into the gundam computer"

it says you should watch After War Gundam X

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

redreader posted:

What am I looking for: I liked robotech (about to watch 'do you remember love' today, since I got a job offer yesterday and I can relax and stop looking for work). I loved hunter x hunter. I like jojo, I'm enjoying planetes, I liked that abyss anime a friend recommended last year. Is there a gundam like any of those things?
  • JoJo: G Gundam
  • Robotech/Macross: Iron-Blooded Orphans, I guess?
  • Hunter x Hunter: Victory Gundam
  • Planetes: Turn A Gundam

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

not knowing how Robotech handles the Macross material, Gundam 0079 is definitely an inspiration point for original Macross (more specifically it takes from Space Runaway Ideon, another show directed by Tomino after 0079 that is similar). so it'd actually be a good starting series in that sense.

i would also take snail's rec as not a joke because Gundam X does have a similar "ship wandering in a ruined world" premise/structure.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I don't know what Robotech was like, but if that's the first thing you're looking for then you could just watch the other Macross series. Frontier is the most well-received series, so you could start with that one. They're all self-contained for the most part.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks everyone. I think I'm also missing a lot of cultural references online (or the odd one at least) due to not knowing any gundam. I did watch macross frontier recently and it was *ok*. I think I'll just try G Gundam and look up the other ones mentioned here and see how they appeal. Thank you for those replies/recommendations!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

imo with frontier you're much better off watching the movies. its the same deal as dyrl except where I think dyrl/SDF are mostly even to slightly prefering SDF, the frontier movies are just way better than the series. in that there is actually a plot with characters that have motivations (and the concerts are better)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

homeless snail posted:

imo with frontier you're much better off watching the movies. its the same deal as dyrl except where I think dyrl/SDF are mostly even to slightly prefering SDF, the frontier movies are just way better than the series. in that there is actually a plot with characters that have motivations (and the concerts are better)

Oops, too late! it was enjoyable enough watching the series I suppose.

If SDF is better than DYRL I'll just watch that, then! I've got both.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

theyre different, is the thing, its worth watching both

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah watch the original macross so you can experience robotech but better. also if you like the original macross (via robotech) you'll probably enjoy gundam 0079 too, the original gundam. and also votoms, votoms is a cool 80s mecha anime

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm 10 episodes into the re;zero directors cut.

Show's good.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Endorph posted:

yeah watch the original macross so you can experience robotech but better. also if you like the original macross (via robotech) you'll probably enjoy gundam 0079 too, the original gundam. and also votoms, votoms is a cool 80s mecha anime

Thanks! And I've never heard of Votoms before.

I think I got hold of ep 1 of macross sdf on youtube a few years ago and thought 'holy poo poo this is so much better' but couldn't find any more, and forgot about it until last week. The only Anime I saw until I was about 16, was Robotech and I loving LOVED it. I'm not sure if Maya the bee and Heidi count as anime.
edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_the_Honey_Bee
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidi,_Girl_of_the_Alps
yes they definitely count as anime, lol.

edit 2: also the yearling, https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=1701which me and my big brother (aged about 4 and 6 respectively) called 'jody and the deer'. We were heartbroken when we found out that our grandparents had 'forgotten' to tape the final episode or two. I looked it up a couple of years back and was horrified to find out that in the end he has to shoot the deer or something. I now suspect that my grandparents did NOT forget to record it, but decided to save us from being sad.

redreader fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 11, 2021

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/OMORI_GAME/status/1359998326746144768

play OMORI, all...its on sale!!!

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Play OMORI, watch SDF Macross, watch Macross DYRL, watch Gundam 0079, Gundam Trilogy, Z Gundam and ZZ Gundam.

Waiting for something to happen?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
watching 0079 and then watching all three of the 0079 movies back to back is the most insane suggestion on that list

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The batch of Gundam fans who take the UC triumvirate of 0079/Zeta/CCA way too seriously and dogmatically in terms of which ones to watch or start with is one of the biggest turnoffs of the franchise honestly.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Obviously Do You Remember Love is vital to understand Gundam yes and that wasn't just a general "hey these shows are obviously worth watching".

Also play OMORI.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nate RFB posted:

The batch of Gundam fans who take the UC triumvirate of 0079/Zeta/CCA way too seriously and dogmatically in terms of which ones to watch or start with is one of the biggest turnoffs of the franchise honestly.

i can sorta get why people like what 0079 and zeta do specifically but i'm in the hosed up place where i don't actually really like gundam when it's trying to be fairly straight-faced and dry and i like it more when it gets super weird and goofy, it's funny to me that zz has a more negative reputation cause it's the earliest in the series that i consistently enjoy watching moment to moment lol

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

someday i'll get over my obstinance and watch the trilogy films

at least then i'll have more substance to go with my dislike of them for always being recommended over the tv series, which owns. thankfully people don't seem to do that as much with DYRL because the idea of treating those interchangeably annoys me.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the gundam movies are far more interchangeable with 0079, than dyrl is with sdf

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
My entire experience with Gundam is watching 0080 War in the Pocket and thinking it was really drat good and everyone should watch it, and then watching 0083 and hating all of the characters, and the writers (the animators are still cool though, props on the fight scenes).

I should really watch some other Gundams though, the worldbuilding is cool as are the robots.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the 0079 movies are cool for what they are but shaving off the jankier parts of 0079 doesn't really make it a better story and they're still long as gently caress, and since the first movie entirely reuses footage from the show and the second movie only has a bit of new footage i feel like only the third movie actually significantly adds anything. they're not a bad way to experience 0079 but they're not super transformative either, they just work if you want to see the meat of the story without having to sit through a few extra hours of messy 70s-80s tv animation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Like seriously I found things I liked about trilogy and og so it's hard to say one wins out over the other in every circumstance. Time is a factor for some people so it's worth considering that but I still watched both (with like a 6 year gap) because they are both somewhat different mediums. It's not as radically crazy different as the macross sdf vs dyrl example though. Do you remember love is so different that macross 7 explicitly says that it's not what happened in series canon but is a movie adaptation of events in the series canon.