Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Kalko posted:

I wonder if this will result in them tightening up the themes of each class. I'm not particularly aware of how many different things each class has going on at the moment but I'm sure a few of them could use some work.

Either way, I only want one thing from this : Tess Greymane back in Standard! I guess we will find out what makes the cut next weekend.

If they go all-in on thief rogue I hope they also bring back the lifesteal weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
can you trigger your own secrets in classic mode

removing that functionality was so boneheaded

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Relin posted:

It came up so very little, and only actually mattered for Paladin, because the other one that you could it with was mage Ice Block, and you never wanted to self activate Ice Block.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Kalko posted:

Yeah, that was me, and in like four of my winning games I got the sword in my opening hand (three of them it was in the leftmost slot for the discount) in a deck of 40+ cards.

Paladin is the weakest class but when the stars align you can do great things. I'm definitely going to try it again because the Gem + Goggles was actually pretty consistently good for dumping annoying minions early, but in each of the games I lost it was because my expensive cards (which you need to make the deck work) all appeared on the left side of my hand, blocking the Goggles.

Here's the starting deck if you want to try it. It was actually the most fun I've had in Duels yet.

Cool, thanks. I like the concept. Why Alex? I’m somehow still missing her after all these years

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Cool, thanks. I like the concept. Why Alex? I’m somehow still missing her after all these years

Deathwing dragon synergy, the battlecry is nice too, but I wouldn't craft it until the Core set is revealed

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Is it gonna be Malygos's time to leave

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I just missed the spicy pretzel mustard due to one tie :negative:

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

blizzardvizard posted:

Is it gonna be Malygos's time to leave

God I hope so. Alex too. It's time for some new combo enablers that can actually work for more classes than just Mage and Druid.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Kalko posted:

Yeah, that was me, and in like four of my winning games I got the sword in my opening hand (three of them it was in the leftmost slot for the discount) in a deck of 40+ cards.

Paladin is the weakest class but when the stars align you can do great things. I'm definitely going to try it again because the Gem + Goggles was actually pretty consistently good for dumping annoying minions early, but in each of the games I lost it was because my expensive cards (which you need to make the deck work) all appeared on the left side of my hand, blocking the Goggles.

Here's the starting deck if you want to try it. It was actually the most fun I've had in Duels yet

i've a conspiracy theory that when they nerfed kilmox, they also reduced the incidence of discard buckets. have you noticed that too? i never bother with discard lock anymore, or lock at all really.

also they really need to fix group learning, absolute trash

Lord_Magmar posted:

It came up so very little, and only actually mattered for Paladin, because the other one that you could it with was mage Ice Block, and you never wanted to self activate Ice Block.

mage block triggering on your own turn means you dont die to fatigue. not that it came up very much except against priest

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
What timezones does Blizzard use to determine when midnight occurs on the Asian and the US servers?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

For the NA server it's midnight in San Fran / West Coast. or 17 minutes ago.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Quotey posted:

i've a conspiracy theory that when they nerfed kilmox, they also reduced the incidence of discard buckets. have you noticed that too? i never bother with discard lock anymore, or lock at all really.

also they really need to fix group learning, absolute trasht

To be honest if I hadn't heard it mentioned on Youtube that the buckets are weighted towards your deck contents I wouldn't have known, as I find I hardly get offered the ones I want no matter what class I'm playing or how many of the same type I pick. And yeah, Group Learning sucks.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Asian server clock is the same as Beijing local time, if anyone was wondering.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Kalko posted:

To be honest if I hadn't heard it mentioned on Youtube that the buckets are weighted towards your deck contents I wouldn't have known, as I find I hardly get offered the ones I want no matter what class I'm playing or how many of the same type I pick. And yeah, Group Learning sucks.

That detail is on one of the loading screen hints :)

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Quotey posted:

mage block triggering on your own turn means you dont die to fatigue. not that it came up very much except against priest

It would be super handy when playing Yogg.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Relin posted:

Secrets triggering on your own turn was broken with Redemption at the time. Remember this was an era when Cairne and Sylvannas were among the strongest cards available and Redemption triggering on your own turn was some seriously OP synergy for 1 mana. It does seem like a rather benign interaction these days of course.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

One interesting thing about all these announcements is how they are all designed to be a big tech demo/test, and point to an interesting future for the game.

There's of course the obvious "well if they have Classic Mode, then next are they going to do Classic Naxx? etc.", all of it in support of this new system of having different versions of the same card for use simultaneously.

But there's another one that no one has mentioned: with 4 cards from Ashes of Outland making it into the initial Core Set 2021, that means those 4 cards are simultaneously in AoO packs and in Core Set for Standard play. This overlap is the first instance of Hearthstone actually having a reprint policy. The big outstanding questions are: what happens to the AoO versions we have now when Core Set releases? And what happens to them if they should rotate out of Core Set in 2022 or beyond?

And even longer term: given that they've basically given up at this point trying to hide the fact they are stealing all of MtG's good ideas and just stealing them outright, if this initial Core Set tech demo is successful I expect this reprint policy to eventually apply to actual expansions, up to ~25% of the cards in each.

This helps card developers and designers from having to shoulder so much each expansion, as well as supports Arena-esque modes better, and if they can manage to appease the card collectors/whales then this is a slam dunk win.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
These changes definitely have the potential to make the game more interesting and unique year to year. The idea/plan is unambiguously a good one, the only tripwire being if the actual card balance isn't handled well.

I am a little nonplussed by the new Classic mode though, it does seem like someones pet project rather than a great idea. I will try it out for sure but in retrospect the gameplay was pretty boring back then.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Flayer posted:

These changes definitely have the potential to make the game more interesting and unique year to year. The idea/plan is unambiguously a good one, the only tripwire being if the actual card balance isn't handled well.

I am a little nonplussed by the new Classic mode though, it does seem like someones pet project rather than a great idea. I will try it out for sure but in retrospect the gameplay was pretty boring back then.

How many times did they nerf Hunter back then? If they are releasing a set that uses the original Hunter class, that will not be fun for long.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

AnacondaHL posted:

The big outstanding questions are: what happens to the AoO versions we have now when Core Set releases? And what happens to them if they should rotate out of Core Set in 2022 or beyond?
The first part, probably nothing. You'll get a free pair of the cards in the Core set but the copies from AoO won't be affected in any way by that.

If they rotate out of the Core set that won't be until AoO is already Wild so, again, probably nothing? The cards from AoO will be Wild and the free Core set copies would disappear into the void at no loss to anyone since they were 'Created By' the Core set.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Flayer posted:

I will play OG Miracle, Handlock and CWarrior a couple of times and then probably never touch the mode again.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I'll play a bunch of 8 mana Mind Controls, realize it's still not good, and then probably never touch the mode again.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Which version of Unleash the Hounds is Classic getting? Wasn't the first one +1 attack and charge to all minions??

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Hawkperson posted:

Which version of Unleash the Hounds is Classic getting? Wasn't the first one +1 attack and charge to all minions??

Classic mode is patch 1.0.0.5832

According to the wiki, that version of UtH was 1.0.0.4217 and prior. The change from 2 to 3 mana happened in 1.0.0.5314.

So no change to UtH from what we have today.

Buzzard + Unleash for 5 mana will exist though.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I just crafted Ancharr and have been loving ETC Warrior, it is my first time playing a control deck since I returned to the game.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Will Worgen warrior be playable in classic? I think to this day, that's still the source of most of my warrior games.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

never seen this one before

he instantly polayed yoggtastic treats and.. well his were a good bit better

that won't save him from the malygos dunk tank though lol

e: oh gently caress he has lorekeeper polkelt. need to draw my bags of stuffing NOW

e2: no, the 9 damage lightning bolts did him in. god that was fun

e9: complaining about having completed all the DMF cards, and now i get tons of gold and an uldum pack from the 12-2, hell yeah. golden spitting camel from it, ptooie

Quotey fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 11, 2021

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Quotey posted:

never seen this one before

It's one of six treasures from the second pool which has only a 1% chance to appear. You can see the others here. Still waiting for the day I get the +3 spell power one with a Mage deck.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Viscous Syndicate report
Think I'm going to try Gibberling Druid. I don't have enough dust to make Ramp (Cheese) Paladin and I don't want to craft Brann in the Highlander Hunter deck since he's rotating out (apparently; I know he could become part of the Core Set). How have folks fared with Gibberling Druid?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Kalko posted:

It's one of six treasures from the second pool which has only a 1% chance to appear. You can see the others here. Still waiting for the day I get the +3 spell power one with a Mage deck.

:psyduck:

Why would they make a treasure that you have to build a deck around and then give it a 1% chance?

Mayveena posted:

Viscous Syndicate report
Think I'm going to try Gibberling Druid. I don't have enough dust to make Ramp (Cheese) Paladin and I don't want to craft Brann in the Highlander Hunter deck since he's rotating out (apparently; I know he could become part of the Core Set). How have folks fared with Gibberling Druid?

I'm cruising with token druid.

Gibberling druid was unsatisfying. Sometimes you'd get the god hand and win on turn 4, sometimes the enemy would pick off two of your minions and you'd run out of gas. Sometimes you'd have a gibberling + spells but be unable to play them because your opponent was a rogue/dh and wouldn't be able to get enough out of them before your gibberling gets pinged.

Token druid is much better. You get the fun of sometimes rolling to an early win with gibberling without being totally screwed by a little bit of early removal.

(I am not sure how they classify druid as "gibberling" or "treant" in that report)

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Viscous Syndicate report

I don't play it on ladder due to being in Top1K Legend where it's hated out hard by Enrage Warriors, Whirlkick Rogues, Priests and OTK DH, but I've taken it to almost every Masters Tour Qualifier tournament in my lineups.

If you're not seeing those above decks in your meta, this is a crushing deck to play and will get you swift wins.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

fisting by many posted:

(I am not sure how they classify druid as "gibberling" or "treant" in that report)

Both decks are essentially token decks, “gibberling” Druid has gibberlings as the only minion and runs cheap small token generators/spells like power of the wild, beees, and adorable infestation, while “treant” Druid has Goru the Mightree as the only minion and runs more treant synergy cards like runic carvings and aeroponics

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Just ran into 'auctioneer' druid where you draw and use every card (or nearly) in your deck. I started playing Gibberling and ran into four druids playing this deck in a row. I take it some streamer has made it instantly popular. I'm platinum 4.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Just ran into 'auctioneer' druid where you draw and use every card (or nearly) in your deck. I started playing Gibberling and ran into four druids playing this deck in a row. I take it some streamer has made it instantly popular. I'm platinum 4.

d0nkey's site can now answer this question for us:
Streamers playing Standard Druid with Gadgetzan Auctioneer in their list:
https://www.d0nkey.top/streamer-decks?class=DRUID&format=2&include_cards%5B932%5D=true

So you can blame norwis I guess (top Czech streamer) for bringing back this Malygos Druid meme deck

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

fisting by many posted:

:psyduck:

Why would they make a treasure that you have to build a deck around and then give it a 1% chance?

This is precisely why I hate the dragon treasures. Why tf am I going to do dragons on the OFF chance I get their treasure when there are other gimmicks far stronger?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The one downside of the no-duplicate thing in packs is how difficult it has been to get dust since returning to the game. I've been playing Wild because I have none of the recent expansions but there are some key legendaries I want from the likes of Witchwood that I can't craft because everything I open is a new card. The recent announcement means I can probably get back to playing Standard pretty easily so that is good news.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to win Battlegrounds games with all the heroes I haven't won a game with yet for achievements and I need some help with the overall strategy for some:

Hooktusk: I don't understand why this costs gold. Why do I want something from a lower tier? Am I basically just using this on tokens in the first couple of tavern tiers and that's it?
Lich Baz'hial: Do I just need to high roll with this, using the hero power every chance I get and hope for an awesome late game pickup to stabilise?
Dancin' Daryl: Does anyone have any guides for this guy? I understand the strategy of buying all the minions in tavern and buffing the one one you want but in practice I fail miserably.
Sky Cap'n Kragg: I assume I want to just save this until I have 10 gold and go for a massive swing turn?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Hooktusk's power lets you turn battlecry minions into something useful. Lich Baz'hial works great with a demon build if you can find a Mal'ganis to get rid of the downside on his hero power. You want to use Kragg's hero power when you need it rather than holding out for an ideal gold total.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Looten Plunder posted:

Hooktusk: I don't understand why this costs gold. Why do I want something from a lower tier? Am I basically just using this on tokens in the first couple of tavern tiers and that's it?

It used to cost 0 and it was stupid broken. You would just use it turn 1 on a token and get another token generator or at least a better unit or just use it on some other minion to search for a triple and the early game was just insane. Then later you could use it on a 4 or 5 cost buff card or even a trash 6 to get a premium 5. Anyway, it dominated and they nerfed it hard. Then they came out with other better heroes anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018
Finally got the complete Quel'delar for the first time after the exact match where my average wins for February in Heroic Duels just tipped over 5.

Feels good man.