Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thats mostly just a running gag in macross though. its like if eva peron was one of the most important women in history but everyone knows her primarily as main character in evita

like how theres an episode of macross frontier about the production of a shot for shot remake of macross zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Macross owns drat.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i've been saying this for years

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

where the HECK is macross delta absolute live!!!!!! (the six exclamation points are important)?

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012
Clearly the best way to experience 0079 is to read through The Origin.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I've actually had some friends start talking about getting into gundam from Unicorn and the Origin OVAs.

They couldn't really deal with the movie trilogy haha.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
some day i believe, people will appreciate g-reco

despite claiming to love sci-fi stories centering around weird dumbasses, nobody loves the show where the joke is that gundam characters are all dumbasses...

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
i will watch g-reco someday

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The Colonel posted:

ah, the day when the movie series is completed

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

despite claiming to love sci-fi stories centering around weird dumbasses, nobody loves the show where the joke is that gundam characters are all dumbasses...
as someone that doesnt particularly like most of gundam, greco is the best one

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXWkyRwirlk

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i like Gundam for Tomino, but i don't know if i can choose a favorite Tomino

Gainer at least has no downside that comes to mind

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think after i watch zz and cca and take a break the next gundam i watch will eitehr be wing or ibo but idk which

hell i still have two crossbone sequel manga to read

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

now i'm thinking about that episode of macross delta where they spend half of it recapping every series of macross with traced over stills
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0lHlcjpcPY

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

NO im not a hypocrite for thinking this is cool while the extremely minor UC references at the end of turn a are lame

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

btw momentarily

homeless snail posted:

Thursday!! Healin' Good Precure rambles towards the ending, noticed a special surprise in Mahoujin Guru Guru while I was encoding it it, and the final banner (that is currently animated) Banner of the Stars III aka Dinner With Family
8PM eastern @ https://cytu.be/r/okayletswatchanime

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

someday i'll get over my obstinance and watch the trilogy films

at least then i'll have more substance to go with my dislike of them for always being recommended over the tv series, which owns. thankfully people don't seem to do that as much with DYRL because the idea of treating those interchangeably annoys me.

The first two are really long feeling and kind of dry honestly. I had a terrible headache by the end of the first one because it goes on like a half hour past a natural stopping point to introduce Ramba Ral because otherwise the second movie would be three hours long. The third one is absolutely fantastic though and functions well as a movie and as a finale to the series

The music in the movies is really awesome too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnEowbJfZ4E

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ppl complain that the music is too upbeat bbut they obviously never looked up the lyrics. The songs have a 60s protest song vibe that I really like and fits the show really well!

quote:

Sorrow, the painful sorrow
Nothing left, except this sadness
We destroy these nameless soldiers
We survive by spilling our blood

The gods of death are arriving
On the wings of a windstorm
There's no way to resist them
No place for anyone to run

To dying men, to all of their good women
To dying girls, to all of thier boyfriends
To dying men, to all of their women
To all our loved ones peace we will protect

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Tiriganiaq posted:

Clearly the best way to experience 0079 is to read through The Origin.

This is what I did and it was cool and good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1360061067846701064?s=20

HE THICC

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Death Pickle

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Hockey exists to torture me. Someone give me some comfort anime.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Furnaceface posted:

Encouragement of Climb.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Furnaceface posted:

Sleepy Princess :v:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

after completing a full rewatch of crest and banner of the stars, i can conclusively say, that pink is the best ed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFqmv7QZkwY

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Furnaceface posted:

Laid-Back Camp.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

who is the brave, intelligent writer who called out SAO like this?

Oh.

Was that him talking about stuff in his earlier writing and how his thoughts changed, or was he just like "but don't worry about it, it's for fun"?

Endorph posted:

I don't disagree that you can criticize stuff, obviously, but I think you're attributing A) way more cultural importance to nerd media that maybe a few thousand people pay any real attention to than it really deserves, and B) way less intelligence and self-awareness to the authors. In addition, what you perceive as misogyny is something some people might just flat out not perceive as misogyny, or even think is feminist. I'm not talking about dudes here, I'm talking about other women affected by misogyny having different opinions on what counts as misogyny. And that disagreement is just natural.

Again, I'm definitely not saying criticism is a bad thing you shouldn't do, but if someone isn't calling out what you perceive as misogyny, it's not always because they're more sexist than you or don't care.

I don't think you're wrong about any of that, but I still feel a bit sad how that sort of thing continues to be popular.

Liking it doesn't make anyone a bad person, but I would be happier if we lived in a world that collectively had agreed that sexually exploiting people was a thing that someone who is presented as a generally heroic character just didn't do.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 12, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm not sure how you can read those statements and think there's a possibility he was excusing those decisions rather than acknowledging them as flaws in writing he put together when he was a teenager that he generally tries to avoid falling into now. they're pretty harshly critical, not really worded like he's pushing them aside

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

i'm not sure how you can read those statements and think there's a possibility he was excusing those decisions rather than acknowledging them as flaws in writing he put together when he was a teenager that he generally tries to avoid falling into now. they're pretty harshly critical, not really worded like he's pushing them aside

I don't really follow SAO, but I gathered it was an ongoing problem.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

I won $250 betting on hockey games today so it’s been good to me

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

what a good avatar

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah orv's avatar is one of the best

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

thats what i was talking about, for the record

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/sneikkimies/status/1360088884181368840

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't SAO, but none of those quotes are referring to Kirito as an exploiter and I'm pretty sure that's not something that happens. It's talking about Asuna and other female characters getting damseled and/or threatened with sexual violence and needing to be saved a lot.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Motto posted:

I don't SAO, but none of those quotes are referring to Kirito as an exploiter and I'm pretty sure that's not something that happens. It's talking about Asuna and other female characters getting damseled and/or threatened with sexual violence and needing to be saved a lot.

The second thing was referring to that other isekai, mushoku tensei or whatever, to be clear.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

golgo, no!!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Furnaceface posted:

Laid-Back Camp
Encouragement of Climb
Wakakozake
Isekai Izakaya
Non-Non Biyori
Flying Witch
Yosuiro Biyori
Piacevole
Ms. Vampire Who Lives in My Neighbourhood
Endro!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

I don't really follow SAO, but I gathered it was an ongoing problem.
SAO's in a very weird place that explains this. Reki Kawahara started writing it in high school, and started to publish it online when he was in college, and then afterwards. 2002-2008. It was somewhat popular but not especially so, but after it finished Reki approached Dengeki Bunko with the idea for a new series and pointed to the web novel as proof he could sustain a popular long running story, so it was published. This work was Accel World. Accel World was pretty popular for a debut LN, but Reki wasn't an especially fast writer, so when Dengeki Bunko asked him for more stuff, he decided they could publish SAO as a proper light novel. The story was edited somewhat, and new art was added as opposed to Reki's original scribbles, but the structure of the story is basically the same. SAO, naturally, exploded massively in popularity and quickly received a massively popular anime. The anime makes some mild-moderate changes, but again, the basic structure of the story and the roles characters have in it are the same.

So you have a situation where a writer is being judged primarily by stuff he wrote 12-19 years ago, because it's being presented as an ongoing, new story. If you look at more recent stuff Reki's written, like the Progressive novels or the SAO movie, it's not perfect, but they make efforts to give the female characters more to do and never rely on sexual assault for drama. (And they're generally better written as a whole.) So that's why Reki can say 'I was kind of stupid to write it this way,' while Alicazation continues to somewhat be written that way, because it was actually written over a decade ago.

Of course, he could have asked the anime or LN to make more drastic changes, but he probably only came to some of these realizations upon seeing the scenes replayed over and over and hearing criticism of them as they reached a more mainstream audience, and by that point it was a bit late to make sweeping changes.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

coincidentally, with sao starting in late 2002, guess what aired in early 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCWXPM0xx2c