Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I like to do something I just call the "guard pass warmup." It's basically standing passing of open guards. The rules are the bottom guy starts in sit-up guard. If his back touches the mat it has to stay there. He can frame and block but not grab anything. Standing guy has no restrictions and his goal is to pass the guard, settle into a pin, then stand up and both reset. I emphasize that the goal is for top guy to execute a lot of low-effort passes, not for 2 minutes of aggressive positional rolling. I explain to new people that the guy on the bottom decides how hard they both warm up. If he just lets the top guy breeze through his guard he's going to do little effort, but top guy is going to be sweating after 2 minutes just from all the standing back up. If bottom guy defends hard then he's going to expend more effort than the top guy. With that in mind I usually do 2 minute rounds and instruct the bottom guy to give ~20% resistance for the first minute and ~60% for the second. After 3 or 4 of those everybody is a little sweaty and breathing a little hard.

I find it only takes a few seconds to explain the concept to people, and if you pair them with a partner with any experience they'll pick it up very quickly, even if they're very new to grappling. It's a fun drill for everyone, it builds and reinforces actual grappling skills, rather than strength or gymnastics. It gets people up on their feet if they're under-utilizing standing passes. I encourage people to focus on movement rather than precision or fine technique, and use it as an opportunity to practice the stuff that might seem goofy or that they have low confidence in because the only consequence for failure is you have to stand up and try it again.

Other than that, uchikomi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Morning Bell posted:

There are so many new people at my BJJ gym since Jan its crazy - never seen the mats so full. While there's always an influx of new kids around Janurary, this is the most extreme I've seen it. This is Australia where COVID's under control and I'm sure that's got something to do with it.

I wonder if maybe it’s every fitness industry going wild at once. In addition to the usual new year resolution crowd, a bunch of people who would normally be more active probably put on weight during the lockdowns? I did. The ‘I exercise regularly but also eat lots of burgers’ crowd, or the ‘depression eating’ crowd.

We opened a new gym when the first round of lockdowns ended in QLD, I think it was July? And it’s been a raging success, it’s got morning/lunch/night classes and it’s profiting.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Warmup:

411 escape
Uke has Tori in inside senkaku. Tori puts his heel to the floor, pushes Uke's knees down, pushes off Uke's knees to free his kneeline. Tori slides his leg out, grab Uke's near leg, and applies inside sekaku to Uke. Now Uke performs the same escape landing back in inside senkaku. Repeat. A great flow, and more can be added to it as desired. Pretty light as a warmup goes.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

Standing foot tag with shot and counter/counter shots.

I do this a lot with my kids class. Depending on the age, it can vary on success of use.

My kids aren't super great at it and find silly ways to avoid the technique drill, but I'm sure adults won't have as much of an issue though.

Highly recommend that and other similar warmups.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Transition drills from top positions. Side control to KOB to windshield wiper to mount to side control to N/S, etc. etc. as many times as you can for two minutes.

Butterfly hook walking. Top guy is standing, bottom guy is on his back with his feet hooked behind the top guy's knees. Top guy takes a big step backwards across the mat, bottom guy has to use his hooks to stay connected and pull himself forward. Repeat until you've crossed the mat.

Wrestling sled pushes. Partner posts loosely on your shoulders, you shoot for a double against his frames and push him back a few feet. Repeat until you've crossed the mat.

Turtle spinning. Bottom guy gets in turtle, top guy glues his chest to the bottom guy's back and spins around him, changing directions every few seconds. Bonus points for doing it hands-free.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I wonder if maybe it’s every fitness industry going wild at once. In addition to the usual new year resolution crowd, a bunch of people who would normally be more active probably put on weight during the lockdowns? I did. The ‘I exercise regularly but also eat lots of burgers’ crowd, or the ‘depression eating’ crowd.

Reckon that's spot on. I, a proud member of the "exercise a bit, eat a lot" tribe, now look like a melting marshmallow in my no-gi gear.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jerome Louis posted:

I've started teaching classes at my gym to cover for when other instructors are out. One thing I could do better with is making warm-ups more interesting/relevant/effective.

Does anyone have any partner drill suggestions for warm-ups? I'd like to make a list of warm-up drills, then when I plan my class I can just select a couple drills rather than running around and shrimping across the mats, etc like we normally do.

Stick with the basics. This is what I do when I run drills in the morning. Arm Bar from guard->Omoplata->Triangle is a really good one for all skill levels.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

heeebrew posted:

torriando drilling is great.

this

also cross collar choke from closed guard where you alternate after 100

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Today I felt like I had a bit of a breakthrough with keeping back control nice and tight. We'd been practicing it for the past few weeks but I never felt like I was secure enough to start trying to attack while rolling but today something kinda clicked and I found it way easier to stay tight and low. Didn't get any submissions but felt secure enough to start threatening them without letting my partner escape.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
Some drills:

Get your uke at the top of a shoulder throw and just carry them accross the dojo. Gets you some balance and leg strength to boot.

Dragging your prone uke by the sleeves is a good grip training exercise.

Leap frogging (vaulting) over each other is nice. Variations with diving forward rolls are good too.

Sweep combos. One partner sweeps from guard, the other sweeps from under mount.

The torreando drill is cool with an escape from uke. It kinda helps solidify the butt scoots in the repetoire.

I never really pulled it off in rolling but ankle pick drills were really fun.

I suppose some healthy mix of technical game, movement techniques based on timing, and strength building should suffice before jumping into class.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Spend $3 on a bunch of clothespins. Give 4 to each person and have them put one on each sleeve and each lapel or pant leg. Last person with any left wins. This always seems very popular. Just make sure to clear dropped pins so they don't damage mats or feet.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

ihop posted:

Spend $3 on a bunch of clothespins. Give 4 to each person and have them put one on each sleeve and each lapel or pant leg. Last person with any left wins. This always seems very popular. Just make sure to clear dropped pins so they don't damage mats or feet.

Kinda reminds me of a warmup we used to do, instructor would set a timer for like 7 minutes maybe, and it was essentially tag. Touch someone else's shoulder or knee without letting them touch your shoulder or knee. If you got touched, you had to do 5 burpees or something. It was on the honor system, no need for clothespins, since no winner.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ihop posted:

That's a neat idea. Are we talking wooden clothes pins here? Do they ever dig into people or cause trouble?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I'd spend a little extra for pins that don't look like they'll instantly explode into 3 pieces, maybe some nicer plastic ones, but I've used dollar store wooden ones too. I always remind people to pause long enough to clear any pins that end up on the floor but they get caught up in the fun of it and You (the coach) do have to remain vigilant. I've never seen any damage to people or mats but I'd get permission first if they weren't mine. Kids I think are light enough that it's not really a problem. The biggest risk, as in all tag-style drills, is inadvertent collisions.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

We do the same thing with socks - everyone gets one or two comicly large tube socks - but then someone needs to do laundry

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

Hellblazer187 posted:

Kinda reminds me of a warmup we used to do, instructor would set a timer for like 7 minutes maybe, and it was essentially tag. Touch someone else's shoulder or knee without letting them touch your shoulder or knee. If you got touched, you had to do 5 burpees or something. It was on the honor system, no need for clothespins, since no winner.

This is awesome. Im gonna try this.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Two on one is also good fun if you have people who don't go too nuts and hurt each other. A good twist is that the solo guy starts on back or mount or something good. Can also do it wrestling tag team style which makes for some funny moments when a guy tags out right before tapping.

A little self defense learning in there too.

Iback when I started you could kind of hold your own 2v1 sometimes but with the explosion in leglocks its impossible. 50% of the human body indeed.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Xguard86 posted:

Two on one is also good fun if you have people who don't go too nuts and hurt each other. A good twist is that the solo guy starts on back or mount or something good. Can also do it wrestling tag team style which makes for some funny moments when a guy tags out right before tapping.

A little self defense learning in there too.

Iback when I started you could kind of hold your own 2v1 sometimes but with the explosion in leglocks its impossible. 50% of the human body indeed.

I went into judo with very few expectations but I'm getting a chuckle out of the idea of walking in that first day and seeing two dudes aggressively sandwiching a third dude.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Judo you could prob do ok if ippon was enforced although the risk of a double suplex certainly raises the stakes.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiYz75ZkSm8

Are there any better videos that run through how to “just stand up”? I feel like I want to know them rather than progress any further with actual bjj so then I can just bang out anyone on the feet sprawl and brawl style

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The punctuation in that video is driving me loving insane.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Hellblazer187 posted:

The punctuation in that video is driving me loving insane.

Its burning my eyes

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I got to strangle a vaccinated friend today, twice. Felt amazing.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I’m getting my second shot on Thursday and then it’s back to bullying white belts on Saturday

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not the only nonKorean at my gym anymore. Got an Aussie guy who is also a blue belt who now attends. :toot:

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai
Things have been going somewhat better around here. Started BJJ again in February and I've been able to train three times in a week. Since I've been doing regular gi jiujitsu for several years and my hands are a bit sore from tight gripping, I decided to switch to nogi. Just to try it for a change and see it it goes. Results have been amazing. White belts who were completely crushed by me in gi classes, are now totally owning me every minute in nogi. I am completely helpless, since I cannot grap the collar and slow down my training partner. Sparring rounds in nogi are just some helpless flailing and then I tap a minute later. Transition to nogi is harder than I expected.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CLyHCweh6iw/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

What a poo poo show. Also: holy christ Gabi is huge.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

galvao seems like the nicest guy in the world

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I can't be the only person suspicious that it's a work, right?

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

galvao seems like the nicest guy in the world

He's certainly the babyface in this storyline. Isn't he a Bolsonaro supporter though?

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 27, 2021

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

holy christ Gabi is huge.

She's bigger than when she made Wanderlei look small on TUF: Brazil.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Her back gets 1% bigger every day

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I can't be the only person suspicious that it's a work, right?

He's certainly the babyface in this storyline. Isn't he a Bolsonaro supporter though?

May be misremembering but wasn’t his crew the one roaming around an IBJJF tournament threatening random people who they thought were running an anonymous Instagram account accusing Atos fighters of being on gear?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

https://youtu.be/9iuCJn83c8o

Theres the video of the smack in the face Ryan is talking about.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I hope i dont out myself by posting this (want to keep it on the DL) but Im thinking of quitting my gym.

A few reasons why:

1. Belt promotions that you have to pay for (and by pay I mean PAY).
2. Uneven belt promotions: People that were blue belts a year ago are now purple belts today. People getting stripes to fulfill their ego; otherwise, they will quit the gym. That kind of BS.
3. People skipping other people in the belt promotion process. This feels like a slap in my face considering I train ALL THE TIME.
4. Too many loving people on the mat at night class.
5. A lack of advanced classes for the purple belts and up (I dont need to learn the bump and roll mount escape for the 100th time). Classes are geared toward white and blue belts.
6. No morning classes
7. Professors walking off the mat or late into class.
8. Judo classes led by a purple belt when a black belt judo instructor is present (but not an employee).
9. Kids classes are a loving mess and I am reliant on private lessons to see my kids are progressing. My kids dont need to learn Osoto Gari for the 1000th time, they are getting bored with that poo poo.
10. Showers, but no water due to "covid restrictions" when there are upwards of 30 people on the mat and half that number in the locker room.
11. I cant loving hear my instructor because of fitness classes and boxing classes at night making too much noise.
12. Too many purple belts and brown belts that have left. A few black belts too.
13. The paper towel machine doesnt work (ok not a reason, but its just one of my frustrations every loving night).

A few reasons I dont want to quit:
1. I have a lot of friends here and leaving would feel like a betrayal. Same goes for the instructor.
2. My kids and spouse train here and we have a family deal. Breaking that would mess things up in terms of schedule and money.
3. Its relatively close to my house.

I really feel like Im between a rock and a hard spot :( Im taking private lessons with an excellent black belt who trained under Rickson. Really advancing under this guy. But I dont feel like I should have to do this. I have kind of come to the realization that belts are loving bullshit and are used a political tool and not a measure of how a student is doing. I got my purple belt in Dec 2019 and have only gotten one stripe. I train 4 times a week and know for sure I have advanced since when I got it by leaps but I am not recognized for it.

Anyway just really frustrated. Any recommendations??

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The only real recommendation would be to try and find something else that meets your requirements. Sounds like a lame place to train. That or bring this stuff up with the instructor/owner and try to get things changed, though that's likely an uphill battle.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I hope i dont out myself by posting this (want to keep it on the DL) but Im thinking of quitting my gym.

A few reasons why:

2. Uneven belt promotions: People that were blue belts a year ago are now purple belts today. People getting stripes to fulfill their ego; otherwise, they will quit the gym. That kind of BS.
3. People skipping other people in the belt promotion process. This feels like a slap in my face considering I train ALL THE TIME.
5. A lack of advanced classes for the purple belts and up (I dont need to learn the bump and roll mount escape for the 100th time). Classes are geared toward white and blue belts.
6. No morning classes
8. Judo classes led by a purple belt when a black belt judo instructor is present (but not an employee).
9. Kids classes are a loving mess and I am reliant on private lessons to see my kids are progressing. My kids dont need to learn Osoto Gari for the 1000th time, they are getting bored with that poo poo.
10. Showers, but no water due to "covid restrictions" when there are upwards of 30 people on the mat and half that number in the locker room.
11. I cant loving hear my instructor because of fitness classes and boxing classes at night making too much noise.
12. Too many purple belts and brown belts that have left. A few black belts too.
13. The paper towel machine doesnt work (ok not a reason, but its just one of my frustrations every loving night).

1. I have a lot of friends here and leaving would feel like a betrayal. Same goes for the instructor.
2. My kids and spouse train here and we have a family deal. Breaking that would mess things up in terms of schedule and money.

I really feel like Im between a rock and a hard spot :( Im taking private lessons with an excellent black belt who trained under Rickson. Really advancing under this guy. But I dont feel like I should have to do this. I have kind of come to the realization that belts are loving bullshit and are used a political tool and not a measure of how a student is doing. I got my purple belt in Dec 2019 and have only gotten one stripe. I train 4 times a week and know for sure I have advanced since when I got it by leaps but I am not recognized for it.

Sounds like a lovely gym tbh op

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

A few reasons why:

6. No morning classes

I used to train there, don't have any connections there anymore or anything but I'm not surprised to hear this kinda stuff going on. I enjoyed the family oriented aspect of the place but around the time I left a lot of the "monetization" stuff started getting implemented and it really made me sour on it. Back then there were no fees for promotions and promotions happened when the instructor (the head dude) felt it was appropriate, and not on a set schedule. Which is how it should be imo.

If I were in your shoes I would definitely consider looking for new places. I recently changed gyms as well and the place I'm at now is incredible. Where you're at I know there's no lack of good gyms so I'm sure you can find a great place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

My mother in law and brother in law have shown an interest in bjj, so I have started showing them basic stuff. We have to see them anyways because they babysit my son, so it's a way to get some hugfighting in without adding risk and it feels so good to do even basic stuff on the mats.

Basically I've started teaching them the absolute basic stuff that I feel comfortable with enough to explain for now. It feels really weird to be teaching at all, and I just hope I'm not screwing up too horribly.