Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

readingatwork posted:

Against all odds season 3 of Disenchantment is decent...

I thought the same thing. I think after ep 3 of s3 I turned to my girlfriend and said, "show good?"

And that concludes what I said to my girlfriend.

They dropped a lot of the annoying bits and went full on fun/story time and it work so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Scrolling through Hulu and, uh, they just really gave two new shows to the Bob’s Burgers studio huh?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Scrolling through Hulu and, uh, they just really gave two new shows to the Bob’s Burgers studio huh?

Central Park and... uh... that Alaskan one?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Come And See posted:

Is Disenchantment any good? I watched the first half season and it didn't quite hook me.

Disenchantment is a huge mess where they created characters with strong personalities then have every single character interchangeably act like bender about 1/3rd of the time.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

Did not know about Central Park until just now and wow all three are literally the same show with the serial numbers filed off.

Also apparently Central Park is only on Apple TV which means that I will literally never see it. Oh well...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I guess Bob’s Burgers is old enough that they can just rerelease the same show to zoomers who have avoided boomer cartoons

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Central Park is a full musical that is extremely different from Bob's Burgers (but still really good).

The other one looks bad so I haven't watched it, hth

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bust Rodd posted:

I guess Bob’s Burgers is old enough that they can just rerelease the same show to zoomers who have avoided boomer cartoons

I imagine it's so they could remake the same show but as a musical. That feels like the prime difference. Same show, same voices, but central park has like 4 songs per episode and I imagine bobs burgers wouldn't have allowed that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Bob’s Burgers first 3 seasons were way, way more music oriented than the later seasons. They had a big musical number every episode and some of them were absolute bangers.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bust Rodd posted:

Bob’s Burgers first 3 seasons were way, way more music oriented than the later seasons. They had a big musical number every episode and some of them were absolute bangers.

Yeah, they probably asked "so, can we just make the show that?", got told no, then made the same show but just that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dog Kisser posted:

Central Park is a full musical that is extremely different from Bob's Burgers (but still really good).

The other one looks bad so I haven't watched it, hth

The Great North hasn't actually started yet, they just put out the first episode. Said episode mostly focuses on the daughter character but it isn't clear if she is supposed to actually be the "main" character or if it will be more of an ensemble.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

muscles like this! posted:

The Great North hasn't actually started yet, they just put out the first episode. Said episode mostly focuses on the daughter character but it isn't clear if she is supposed to actually be the "main" character or if it will be more of an ensemble.

They've put out a second episode now; it's a bit more of an ensemble piece, although the "A" plot is built around the daughter's relationship with her (twin?) brother. Also, strangely, cannibalism comes back up again.

Personally it's not doing much for me, but I didn't care for Bob's Burgers at all until most of the way through Season 1, so I'm trying to be patient with it.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Can't believe it's taken me this long to get into Primal. I'd heard it was good but I cannot emphasize how enthralled I am right now

Is this a zombie dinosaur episode? Holy poo poo it's a zombie dinosaur episode.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The diseased Dino episode is the episode I show people to get them into the series, it’s just incredible.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I feel like we should be posting more animated shorts:

(Content warning: violence and nudity)

https://twitter.com/ncrossanimation/status/1341032250725388288?s=20

It's from an animator for Tig N' Seek/Over the garden wall and is very good. It's only a few minutes long so I highly recommend it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.ign.com/articles/hbo-max-new-adult-animated-shows-including-velma-dinkley-origin-story

Clone High is coming back as well as a Velma origin story.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol I missed the "well as" in that sentence and was like, drat that's a powerful crossover

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

clone of the original Velma, the Velma we know was the clone of a pre-existing person, mistakenly sent to Clone High by computer error, all kinds of ways that misinterpretation could go as a prompt

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Also the new season of Close Enough starts February 25th which is pretty soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n2ZQLXAGsM

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I seriously fuckin love Clone High so much but do they even make those kinds of shows anymore? Would a 2021 Clone High be like a funny take on Euphoria instead of Beverly Hills 90210?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i think they could figure out how to make the concept work in a more contemporary setting, the guys who made clone high went on to make the lego movie and into the spiderverse

it would own though if they went back to mocking 90's teen bullshit dramas though

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bust Rodd posted:

I seriously fuckin love Clone High so much but do they even make those kinds of shows anymore? Would a 2021 Clone High be like a funny take on Euphoria instead of Beverly Hills 90210?

I'd be up for Clone High being a funny take on Riverdale, but that show may be beyond parody.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'd be up for Clone High being a funny take on Riverdale, but that show may be beyond parody.

I kinda got the impression it basically IS parody.

galenanorth posted:

clone of the original Velma, the Velma we know was the clone of a pre-existing person, mistakenly sent to Clone High by computer error, all kinds of ways that misinterpretation could go as a prompt

It's canon that there's been dozens of Velmas across history

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So much about Clone High was either parodying TV targeted at teens at the time or was based in the now-extinct MTV. It's gonna be real different having it around now.

I just hope it has time to find its feet and not clog itself up with marveling how mechanically different cell phones are as a method for doing mostly the same things that were being done 20 years ago.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I do not envy any satire artists working off the last 5 years. It feels impossible. We produced a reality beyond parody.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like clone high put roughly zero effort into the parodies and just did it's own thing pretty much constantly.

Like the whole ethos of the show was making butlertron and making the whole joke that it was being mr belvedere then never bothering to actually say that at any point and just going "eh, they get it". Like you can say makeover was a parody of a very special episode or raisins was a parody of musical episodes but pretty much every episode was just it's own thing that didn't matter it was making fun of anything and barely even stuck to pretending to do that.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm guessing it'll be all new characters, what with The Gandhi Situation last time.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The clones are all unsexy 30-somethings now.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh so it’s a Mission Hill reboot.

Point of order they were all very special episodes. And lord willing they pull the “Gandhi was actually a clone of Gary Coleman” gag to keep the character around. That said the “he’s not there and everyone acts like he is” angle is good too.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Raisins was a parody of Pink Floyd.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Been listening to the Central Park soundtrack, which I like a lot more now I'm not watching the show.

But the content of the songs made me wonder: does anything much happen in that show's first season, because it seems like the season ends exactly in the same place it started.

For some reason I expected something more serialised?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

What the hell would a Velma origin story even be? A mousey girl goes to a store and buys a sweater?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

BexGu posted:

What the hell would a Velma origin story even be? A mousey girl goes to a store and buys a sweater?

Honestly I bet whoever pitched this originally had it be an original concept and they just retooled it to be about Velma to make it an easier sell

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BexGu posted:

Bunch of ghost encounters explain why a smart girl ends up following a bunch of stoners in a van Instead of going to Vassar

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Bunch of ghost encounters explain why a smart girl ends up following a bunch of stoners in a van Instead of going to Vassar

Excuse me she's on her way to study sub-nuclear sciences under professor Harlan Ellison at Miskatonic Unviersity, they're just driving there.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 13, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This is actually basically the backstory for one of Webby's new friends in the DuckTales reboot, though she's more Egon as a purple female bird girl.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

BexGu posted:

We find out where "Jinkies" comes from

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1362092994757730304?s=20

I don't think it was the Rush episode in particular that killed any remaining desire to watch Family Guy but it was definitely around the time of that episode that I stopped watching.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Bootleg Trunks posted:

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1362092994757730304?s=20

I don't think it was the Rush episode in particular that killed any remaining desire to watch Family Guy but it was definitely around the time of that episode that I stopped watching.

gently caress that guy, gently caress Family Guy, and gently caress that other guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ministry of Pork
Jun 14, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, I was one of the many people who never had it recommend to them by the algorithm, despite using Netflix to almost exclusively to watch adult targeted cartoons at the time.

I only knew it was out because I had been following the production, either through malice or incompetence that show got buried.

Hella late to the party but ditto. I've a friend who works in tv managing incoming queue for broadcast/streaming and is my go-to for insider dirt. Would never had had a clue about T&B, a dozen other shows, if not for her.

I hate the goddamned Netflix UI and why it keeps spamming the gently caress out of me with things I 'should' like while making it eye-achingly hard to find anything else.