Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So we seem to just not get a 90's episode? MitM started in 2000. Not that I can think of a family sitcom from the 90's besides the Simpsons.

I guess the Modern Family one is next week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mooseontheloose posted:

A few things I noticed:

1. I think one of the movies in the background is Night of the living dead.
2. When Wanda starts talking to the community watch guy, did anyone notice the person in the plague mask is looking at Wanda the whole time?
3. I think they are playing both sides with Agnes because she is dressed as a witch and has white hair. Much like Emma Caufield's character who was suppose to be the whole center of this or Pietro who feels like he is trying to manipulate her. On the other hand, she was just passing through might also be true as her car is not from NJ.

2: It'd be fitting and lol if it's the hazmat guy/beekeeper in a new costume.
3: Could be a few takes on that. Been said that the queen bitch in the first episode might be an externalisation of how Wanda is treating everyone else. On the other hand, it's heavily implied that Agnes is based on a comics character who is a witch but generally a good guy iirc, being the magic teacher for the Richards kids, but has been associated with Wanda's reality-breaking mental breakdowns enough to splash back on her reputation both in setting and with the readers and writers. So who knows exactly what they're going for there.

One impression I DO get is that, in all likelihood someone/something else is working behind the scenes in the Hex, and Wanda isn't in full control of it as assumed- it's allowing Wanda control, as a means of making her get herself comfortable and want to stay in it, but it's trying to keep her under control in turn, and introducing various means of potentially doing so- discarding them when they don't work.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

There are TONS they could have picked from - Fridays had em all.

Step by Step
Boy Meets World
Family Matters
Fresh Prince
Saved by the Bell
Full House
Home Improvement
Blossom
Married with Children
Empty Nest
Wings
Major Dad
3rd Rock From the Sun
The Nanny
Keenan & Kel

... etc etc etc

SO many and they glossed over it. Ah well.

Episode was actually really good but I hope they have a way of wrapping things mostly up - there are a lot of mysteries here. Mando mostly wrapped things for it's season.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

"Didn't see that coming?" would have made a great sitcom catchphrase. Shame they didn't use that but I guess it wouldn't have worked with this Quicksilver clearly being a different person.

I was thinking about the recurring "Why don't they call Doctor Strange?" question that a couple of people have asked, and I'm not sure that most people actually know who Doctor Strange is. He was just hanging out in New York for a while, then he went to space with the Avengers and got snapped. Obviously the people he recruited for Endgame would know him, but I'm not sure he's even technically an Avenger.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

DogsInSpace! posted:

Dude, I feel your pain. Loved the ep and it was the first era flashback I was alive for and I was shocked how well they captured that. I miss early 00s/ late 90s commercials with rad animals.

Hoping like the one goon that Wanda truly is the big bad. Don’t mind smaller parts by minor villains but always liked when heroes break when they realise all their godlike powers are not enough: see pre Rez 90s Hal Jordan. The execution was meh but the concept I always thought was gold. If this is all a plot by Dormammu or Nightmare I will be so disappointed.

The 00s/10s commercial should be a take on the anti-humor Skittles/everything ads.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

fractalairduct posted:

"Didn't see that coming?" would have made a great sitcom catchphrase. Shame they didn't use that but I guess it wouldn't have worked with this Quicksilver clearly being a different person.

I was thinking about the recurring "Why don't they call Doctor Strange?" question that a couple of people have asked, and I'm not sure that most people actually know who Doctor Strange is. He was just hanging out in New York for a while, then he went to space with the Avengers and got snapped. Obviously the people he recruited for Endgame would know him, but I'm not sure he's even technically an Avenger.

This rather tracks with the comics too, since Strange is a pretty reclusive character to the mundane world and him getting involved in anything is a Big Deal, in no small part due to his power level and personality.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Vintersorg posted:

Step by Step
Boy Meets World
Family Matters
Fresh Prince
Saved by the Bell
Full House
Home Improvement
Blossom
Married with Children
Empty Nest
Wings
Major Dad
3rd Rock From the Sun
The Nanny
Keenan & Kel

... etc etc etc

Episode was actually really good but I hope they have a way of wrapping things mostly up - there are a lot of mysteries here. Mando mostly wrapped things for it's season.

Honestly suprised it wasn't that for obvious reasons, but I think MitM fits the aesthetic and worked for what they were going for. It does make me want Bryan Cranston in the MCU now though.

Also, I am starting to think this Hayward guy is a bad egg.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BizarroAzrael posted:

So we seem to just not get a 90's episode? MitM started in 2000. Not that I can think of a family sitcom from the 90's besides the Simpsons.

Maybe the shows aren’t progressing chronologically, we just assume they are? Maybe the tone of the shows they’re parodying are meant to reflect the status of Wanda and Vision’s marriage. The first two are 50s/early 60s idealized perfect family shows. The 70s one is still pretty cheery, but starting to show a few minor signs of dysfunction. The 80s one is where we see the first cracks and them having to face their problems, and it’s a Very Special Episode. This episode is Malcolm in the Middle, and the family is pretty fractured and starting to show signs of wear. Maybe the next one is Roseanne, a fully dysfunctional family full of fighting and on the verge of dissolution to reflect Wanda and Vision having it out over the whole situation. Then, if Wanda and Vision reconcile, they’ll move forward into [i]Modern Family territory or something?

Just a thought.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Piell posted:

My impression is that skin condition orphan doesn't exist and Wanda was making him up to try to trick Pietro into claiming he remembered it.

I mean, Pietro basically says that's what he thinks is happening so I don't really think it can be an impression. Wanda is obviously suspicious of him throughout the episode, and tries to talk about their childhood several times and he never gives any real specifics on anything she asks. I'm sticking with my theory that he's a plant by Hayward or something, because he's clearly trying to find out how she did what she did in their last conversation, and Hayward is the only antagonist around who could be trying to make use of whatever's allowing Wanda to do what she's done. The show might introduce someone who helped her set it all up, but if they do, that person won't need to know how it started, because they'll have been the one starting it. Hayward is the only person who could be trying to press for that information really.

DogsInSpace! posted:

Dude, I feel your pain. Loved the ep and it was the first era flashback I was alive for and I was shocked how well they captured that. I miss early 00s/ late 90s commercials with rad animals.

Hoping like the one goon that Wanda truly is the big bad. Don’t mind smaller parts by minor villains but always liked when heroes break when they realise all their godlike powers are not enough: see pre Rez 90s Hal Jordan. The execution was meh but the concept I always thought was gold. If this is all a plot by Dormammu or Nightmare I will be so disappointed.

It can't be all on someone else, and the show is basically saying it won't be, since even in this episode Pietro said that yeah, she was being as ethical as she could be, but she had to be stuffing kids somewhere; which is an implicit recognition that she isn't actually being entirely ethical, only as much as could be expected given what's going on.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Step by Step
Boy Meets World
Family Matters
Fresh Prince
Saved by the Bell
Full House
Home Improvement
Blossom
Married with Children
Empty Nest
Wings
Major Dad
3rd Rock From the Sun
The Nanny
Keenan & Kel

... etc etc etc

I don't think they are going to wrap much up. At best we might know the cause and its implications. This is the event that will shape the MCU world for years. Dr Strange leads right from this.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
Re: this week’s commercial I really got the impression it meant Wanda has been feeding off magic which would explain how she’s become so much more powerful. My theory is the town was full of witches/ magic users such as Agnes and the lady from the second episode and Wanda’s been feeding off their power using them as batteries to power her fantasy. That would also explain Agnes’s “all is lost” comment to Vision - maybe they were up to something nefarious and Wanda stopped it then started using their power for her own ends. Would make her control of the town a little more morally grey too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It can easily be both. Malcom in the Middle iirc was considered to be one of the earlier depictions of a family obviously shown as dysfunctional and unhealthy in sitcoms, but still with a light and comedic tone, with a focus on children and manchildren and a failing control freak mother.

There's a lot of theories going around on the ads, including that they correspond to a period of Wanda's like as depicted and/or the Infinity Stones, the latter mostly through colour.
-Stark-Tech toaster being the bomb with the red for the Reality Stone
-Strucker watch being their time in HYDRA and obviously the Time Stone
-Hydra-Soak being the brainwashing possibly both that they received and she inflicted on the Avengers, and with focus on a blue box that's clearly the Tesseract/Space Stone
-Lagos towels clearly being the disaster in Lagos and the orange liquid the Soul stone

For the latest one, A kid trapped on an island with a magic-branded cup he can't open is probably a reference to Wanda being imprisoned in The Raft in Civil War. And the purple cup (despite supposedly being strawberry) may be the Power Stone, which does gently caress up non-Thanos people who touch it. Also, this format may be spoiling how many episodes the show's going to have. At least in its current format.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I thought the show was confirmed as 9 episodes already?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It turns out there's a secret seventh infinity stone to summon a wish granting dragon, episode 8 is mostly screaming powerups, and 9 is a coda for time travelling... I dunno, Deadpool, let's go with Deadpool.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

tsob posted:

I thought the show was confirmed as 9 episodes already?

Yeah, it's nine episodes. I guess we get another sitcom centered episode and I guess the last two are gonna be more real-world MCU.

I'm starting to think that the person who is gonna help Monica is gonna be one of the Fantastic Four. We are definitely going to see cameos here and there before they all get their full movie.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It can easily be both. Malcom in the Middle iirc was considered to be one of the earlier depictions of a family obviously shown as dysfunctional and unhealthy in sitcoms, but still with a light and comedic tone, with a focus on children and manchildren and a failing control freak mother.

That's literally Roseanne.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Would be really funny if Cable shows up and every Avenger and adjacent is really freaked out but can't articulate why.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Would be really funny if Cable shows up and every Avenger and adjacent is really freaked out but can't articulate why.

*Cable bodysides in* That monster is called Onslaught. This is how you kill hi-“

*Thor immediately cuts Cable’s head off*

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I justify the jump over the 90s as Peter showing up unannounced and unwanted(?). He's upset the balance, and that's why people other than Agnes are directly asking Wanda stuff. I'm not sure Quiksilver is a plant by Haywood, where would he find a dude with super speed? Also he would probably be tracking him somehow, not just the Vision decay-o-meter

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
good episode, though the SWORD scenes are still painfully dull and the plot didn't advance quite as much as I was hoping for; at the moment, it feels like the last three episodes will have a lot of legwork to do and I'm not entirely sure the remaining episodes will have enough running time to stick the landing

also, they actually found good child actors for Billy and Tommy, which helps given the increased focus on them this episode

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

That's literally Roseanne.

I think they may have erred with MITM partly because they want to emphasise the kids as characters with agency and that show was much more about Malcolm's perspective at least to start, and partly to match better with the actors. Bettany's great, but I don't think he could pull off John Goodman as Dan Conner as well as he does Bryan Cranston as Hal. Also, 2000 is technically still the 90s. There's no 0AD, fight me. :colbert:

I also think Pietro's not a plant, at least not a SWORD one. Honestly, a lot of his lines seem tailor made to poke Wanda in the sensitive spots she's been avoiding. Beyond just his presence reinforcing the loss that pushed her to this, his questions about how the whole thing happened and what she does with the kids seems like pretty classic reverse-psychology. If this scumbag version of her brother says it's OK, maybe it's not as OK as she thinks. We're also definitely getting a scene where he or Tommy have to outrun the Hex's expansion to get help.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 12, 2021

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Regarding Pietro's questioning of Wanda

I read this as Wanda having pulled this version of Pietro from a universe closer to the comics, where he is completely accustomed to decades of Wanda's bullshit. If this Pietro has seen Wanda pull stunts like the House Of M, then he'll instantly recognise that she's warping reality, and he's curious as to how and why this event came about. He also knows that he's just been shot in the chest in his main reality, and is letting her know that he's happy to play along, rather than being returned to a reality where he's presumably on death's door.

Regarding the sitcom's chronology
The Playstation 2 game that the kids play (DDR Extreme 2) came out in late 2005. That suggests we skipped the 90s entirely, assuming they didn't break chronology for the sake of a bad cutaway joke?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It turns out there's a secret seventh infinity stone to summon a wish granting dragon, episode 8 is mostly screaming powerups, and 9 is a coda for time travelling... I dunno, Deadpool, let's go with Deadpool.

Is the Gold Infinity stone still in Marvel continuity?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

swickles posted:

Honestly suprised it wasn't that for obvious reasons, but I think MitM fits the aesthetic and worked for what they were going for. It does make me want Bryan Cranston in the MCU now though.

Also, I am starting to think this Hayward guy is a bad egg.

I mean MitM fits because the charade is breaking down right?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tyma posted:

Regarding Pietro's questioning of Wanda

I read this as Wanda having pulled this version of Pietro from a universe closer to the comics, where he is completely accustomed to decades of Wanda's bullshit. If this Pietro has seen Wanda pull stunts like the House Of M, then he'll instantly recognise that she's warping reality, and he's curious as to how and why this event came about. He also knows that he's just been shot in the chest in his main reality, and is letting her know that he's happy to play along, rather than being returned to a reality where he's presumably on death's door.

Regarding the sitcom's chronology
The Playstation 2 game that the kids play (DDR Extreme 2) came out in late 2005. That suggests we skipped the 90s entirely, assuming they didn't break chronology for the sake of a bad cutaway joke?

I'm not sure if you're referencing Age of Ultron or one of the X-Men movies I didn't see, or neither there.

And as for chronology: the sitcom's already had anachronistic technology and culture show up, and not to mention we're getting into the period that Wander was actually alive and remembers- she grew up presumably in a former Soviet Bloc country, born right before the wall fell. (almost the same age as me!) Can be presumed that she's imagining mishmashes of American sitcoms because that's what was on the TV when she was a child, since the rights would have been dirt cheap and the country hadn't developed its own entertainment industries yet. And it's quite possibly things get more mixed up as we move into what she actually remembers personally experiencing.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I don't follow comics but I didn't interpret Pietro as an alternate universe version of anything. He seemed to me to be a manifestation of Wanda's psyche, her id strutting around in costume. "Pietro" knows exactly what Wanda wants and why, even if Wanda herself denies it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

They should go for an animated. A Simpsons episode.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The gap of 90s sitcoms might represent the trauma that adolescent Wanda experienced between the loss of her parents and her joining Hydra. The years between 2000-2010 when 90s syndicated TV shows might have aired in Sokovia. Malcolm in the Middle and Modern Family would be the end of the break in the early '10s when she lives at the Avengers compound.

e: it would also be funny if they did the 90s representation with Marvel cartoon animation at the end for the action scenes or when the multiverse stuff comes in lol

Firebert fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 12, 2021

Veotax
May 16, 2006

My theory with Pietro: He's a plant, but actually a Pietro from another universe, maybe even actually the Fox X-Men universe. It seemed to me that he had only really surface-level knowledge of his and Wanda's life, like he had been briefed. He was grilling Wanda on how how the whole thing started. He's not under Wanda's control, maybe even immune, maybe protected?

We know this show is going to tie in to Doctor Strange somehow, maybe Strange is aware of what's going on and he's the one who brought this Quicksilver in to gather intel and maybe try to talk Wanda down?
Maybe Strange is going to be the 'big unexpected cameo' if Fox-Quicksilver isn't it?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
That was my favourite episode so far. The Malcolm in the Middle mannerisms were spot on and that claymation commercial style gave me vivid nostalgia.

I'm very suspicious of Pietro trying to coax Wanda into explaining the Hex. Insisting he's not a stranger, the twins saying he's a vampire, "demon spawn." Mephisto is also capable of super speed, just sayin'.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Wanda's life is unfair

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

BizarroAzrael posted:

twin peaks. vision/wanda could be andy and lucy

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
So... Wanda is definitely going to create mutants right? I know that they're alluding to Monica getting superpowers, but the idea that she can rewrite people's DNA seems like they're eventually going to go with that. Hayward's whole speech sort of indicates how to square the superhero positive world of the films to become a world that hates mutants. The snap made people terrified and when mutants show up, it's going to greeted with suspicion and horror.

My theory with Pietro, Wanda can't bring things back from the dead and she can't create something from nothing. The implication of this episode is that Vision is more a construct of Westview than anything else. He can't exist outside of it. So, Wanda sub-consciously wants her brother to come back to life. You can't resurrect the original Pietro. You have to find matter to sort of reshape into Pietro. So, her powers pluck another Pietro to be him. The problem is that he still is the Fox Pietro. He has an keenness for mutant shenanigans and is able to put the pieces together.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I really like how smart they're writing Vision, even within the confines of his amnesia. Playing along with Wanda's sitcom reality to the extent that she can't really push back on him, but going 'off-script' enough that he can investigate by himself. And they were definitely going for Superman with that shot of him in full superhero mode, flying above the town.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I really liked that when Vision got outside the Hex and saw the SWORD agents, even as he was literally falling apart, his first instinct was to ask for help for the people of Westview. Even if he doesn't remember it, dude's an Avenger to the core.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Technowolf posted:

I really liked that when Vision got outside the Hex and saw the SWORD agents, even as he was literally falling apart, his first instinct was to ask for help for the people of Westview. Even if he doesn't remember it, dude's an Avenger to the core.

:unsmith:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Veotax posted:

My theory with Pietro: He's a plant, but actually a Pietro from another universe, maybe even actually the Fox X-Men universe. It seemed to me that he had only really surface-level knowledge of his and Wanda's life, like he had been briefed. He was grilling Wanda on how how the whole thing started. He's not under Wanda's control, maybe even immune, maybe protected?

We know this show is going to tie in to Doctor Strange somehow, maybe Strange is aware of what's going on and he's the one who brought this Quicksilver in to gather intel and maybe try to talk Wanda down?
Maybe Strange is going to be the 'big unexpected cameo' if Fox-Quicksilver isn't it?

That's pretty much what I thought. I described it as him seeming like he's been coached, he's been given cliff's notes and a role to play, basically as an actor being sent out to improv. Interesting this is that he does seem to care about Wanda and the kids, which is probably why he's deliberately poking at her, when his role is probably meant to be just a wacky breakout character to provide acceptable levels of shenanigans and someone for the kids to play off... actually put that way, it makes a lot of sense that he's introduced after the Very Special Episode when the kids have aged up enough to do their own things and need someone else to play off, because they're going to be starting to push boundaries and question their reality themselves. The Hex is trying to maintain its sitcom status quo, introducing elements to keep it stable and provide distractions for Wanda to keep her placid and content, but it's still ultimately built around her psyche, which is anything but.

The vibe I get overall is very much like a certain kind of semi-lucid dreaming, where you have some control over your environment and actions, but not complete, and it tends to reflect your psyche and memories in more ways than you'd like.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Technowolf posted:

:hai: Basically, Wanda did too good a job bringing him back. Because bringing back the Vision, means you bring back a guy whose first act upon being born, basically, was to risk his life for others. Which means it's gonna come down to saving the town, or him staying 'alive' and we know what one he's gonna choose.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
In terms of Malcolm in the Middle airing in 2000, I've seen people also reference The Adventures of Pete & Pete, which had a similar aesthetic and setup as Malcolm in the Middle. It ran 93-96.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teek posted:

In terms of Malcolm in the Middle airing in 2000, I've seen people also reference The Adventures of Pete & Pete, which had a similar aesthetic and setup as Malcolm in the Middle. It ran 93-96.

Vision's Halloween duds are reminiscent of Artie.