Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
If that's Convoy Optimus, where's the trailer?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Yawgmoft posted:

If that's Convoy Optimus, where's the trailer?!

Serious answer: I think Convoy is just his Japanese name.

Joke answer: Coming to P-Bandai :v:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/_Tyto_Alba/status/1358170662062469120

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wish there were Gaia Gear kits... :smith:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Made a few more kits after i got my big ol order of gunpla stuff. enjoying them all a lot

there was this uh... non-gundam... clown? thing? i dont really know what it is but it looked cool and was super cheap. lil unstable and fall-aparty but a nice looking kit.

i got about halfway through building Mobile Doll May and needed a lil break so I made this SD Guntank whom I love dearly

and May herself was a really neat build, very different from the standard Gundam-shaped stuff I'd done. a little less posable than i was hoping for? but having a lil stand included in her kit was nice.

and then i got to the big boy- my first RG kit, the Mk2 Gundam. im really happy with it!

this dude was more of an undertaking than I expected- but not in a bad way. really enjoyed building it. ive got a few other HGs i wanna do first, but my next RG is gonna be the Char Z'gok and I'm really looking forward to it.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
The RG Mark II is a legit great little kit. I've built 9 or 10 various RGs and that little fucker, despite being one of the oldest ones in the range, is just so goddamn good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The trickiest part of the Mk II is the fabric coverings for the leg tubes. It looks nice but those coverings fray pretty easily.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Sea Lily posted:

Made a few more kits after i got my big ol order of gunpla stuff. enjoying them all a lot

there was this uh... non-gundam... clown? thing? i dont really know what it is but it looked cool and was super cheap. lil unstable and fall-aparty but a nice looking kit.

It's a Little Battlers kit. They're cheap and colorful, and come in a lot of dumb entertaining shapes.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

It's a Little Battlers kit. They're cheap and colorful, and come in a lot of dumb entertaining shapes.

I'm a little disappointed that the LBX Sousa doesn't have a horn section.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The trickiest part of the Mk II is the fabric coverings for the leg tubes. It looks nice but those coverings fray pretty easily.

I bet you could fix that by lightly singeing the ends. Although they're so small there's a significant risk of just setting it entirely on fire.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Godzilla Evangelion, coming this spring:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Midjack posted:

Please, I can only get so erect.

So is this spoiling Mecha Godzilla in the new movie?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Please, I can only get so erect.

So is this spoiling Mecha Godzilla in the new movie?

No, this is Mechagodzilla 3 (aka Kiryu) from Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla.

(Fun fact: This version of Mechagodzilla uses the skeleton of the original 1954 Godzilla as an inner frame of sorts).

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I could only imagine the insanity if Bandai got rights to make Godzilla kits.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Midjack posted:

The Tokyo SOS version of that Kiryu kit was actually pretty good at least in terms of build quality. The color of it was WTF bad but that's a moot point if this version is coming pre-painted/molded in EVA colors.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I need some real help before I destroy more of my kits with my incompetence.

I've read guides for sealing seamlines, I got Tamiya Extra Thin and regular. The issue is I never seem to actually remove the line or, on occasion, I wind up warping the piece in some way. It seems so easy in every tutorial but I'm convinced I've ruined my Jesta's and I probably screwed up my GM Sniper II. And why am I doing all of this just to ruin my kits?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Can you post a picture of the pieces that you've had problems with?

I tried my hand at it a couple of times and don't put a lot on, just enough for the glue to make a bead around where you will sand back when you pinch the pieces together. Also put a clip on the piece and let it cure for as much time as you can.

I remember when I was young and building model airplanes I put a ton of glue on one model and it just basically melted.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Puddin posted:

Can you post a picture of the pieces that you've had problems with?

I tried my hand at it a couple of times and don't put a lot on, just enough for the glue to make a bead around where you will sand back when you pinch the pieces together. Also put a clip on the piece and let it cure for as much time as you can.

I remember when I was young and building model airplanes I put a ton of glue on one model and it just basically melted.

Look upon my works ye mighty and despair.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I've only seam filled like twice but it almost looks to me like you used a ton of glue and it kinda got all over the place. Some of the pieces are slightly pitted. Also what are you using to fill any gaps left behind? Plastic putty?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Marx Headroom posted:

I've only seam filled like twice but it almost looks to me like you used a ton of glue and it kinda got all over the place. Some of the pieces are slightly pitted. Also what are you using to fill any gaps left behind? Plastic putty?

Got none, I made some homemade putty with melting runner in plastic cement.

And that's not wrong for the Jesta parts but the GM Sniper 2 I did the shoulder with Tamiya thin and I can still see the line.

Now it's hosed, I can't repair from here, and I've ruined the kit.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Yeah that looks like a little too much glue.

Are you pputting the glue on top of the part when it's together or a line of glue on one half of the part where the seam will be.

You should only need a little bit traced across one of the joining parts and when you put them together it should just spurt out a little and give you a thin bead like if you were to weld actual metal.

Then once cured just sand it down.

Just turn these kits into battle damaged kits!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Puddin posted:

Yeah that looks like a little too much glue.

Are you pputting the glue on top of the part when it's together or a line of glue on one half of the part where the seam will be.

You should only need a little bit traced across one of the joining parts and when you put them together it should just spurt out a little and give you a thin bead like if you were to weld actual metal.

Then once cured just sand it down.

Just turn these kits into battle damaged kits!

I'm layering both sides of the kit on the seam itself, then pressing it together. I also put a line of cement across the seam, because the guids I saw did that.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Onmi posted:

I'm layering both sides of the kit on the seam itself, then pressing it together. I also put a line of cement across the seam, because the guids I saw did that.

Could be the last part being a bit too much glue.

http://blaze.re/seam-lines-removal/

That's a good tutorial for it. You want to aim for the amount coming out on the clamped piece pic from there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Onmi posted:

That’s too much glue, full stop. You should only need to apply to either the mating surface or the joint but not both. Take a couple of pieces you don’t need, spare parts from a sprue, and try putting the glue on one of the mating surfaces. Give it a few seconds to soften, then press them together. You should see a bead of plastic squish out the top. Clamp or rubber band it together, let it sit overnight, then sand down the bead the next day. Brushing over the top of the joint after they’re mated isn’t usually the best, but if you do that use a very small amount of extra thin cement and don’t squeeze the joint together until you’ve run the brush over it so the cement can wick into the joint. Same deal then, squeeze, look for bead, clamp, let it sit overnight. Don’t brush over the top of the joint if you’ve already applied to the mating surface and be careful not to get glue all over the part.

You might want to pick up a cheap kit, the cheapest one you can find, that you don’t care about and practice on that before working on ones that will upset you if you don’t do your best.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 11, 2021

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Midjack posted:

You should see a bead of plastic squish out the top.

Yeah, I never do. I squeeze them together I put a weight atop them, no beads.

I think this is clean, my thumbnail isn't finding a groove, Which I think makes it clean even if visually it's not...

Onmi fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 11, 2021

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

My six year old stepdaughter asked if she could gunpla two days ago and she's already built a petit guy and a little haro. She want's do some more so I'm seeing if my local comic shop has anything that she likes.

I guess I should be responsible and resist the urge to just go "hell yeah you can have more gunpla" for when she asks for more kits after this.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Monaghan posted:

My six year old stepdaughter asked if she could gunpla two days ago and she's already built a petit guy and a little haro. She want's do some more so I'm seeing if my local comic shop has anything that she likes.

I guess I should be responsible and resist the urge to just go "hell yeah you can have more gunpla" for when she asks for more kits after this.

Worse and more expensive hobbies for a kid to get into, TBH.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Monaghan posted:

The only real problem with getting people into GunPla, is that it ruins them for "normal" kits.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

If gunpla existed in any real capacity over here when I was shoddily assembling unpainted Revell kits as a kid I think I would have kept with it instead of rediscovering the hobby 25 years later

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
As someone who still occasionally dabbles in it and got his building start on it, I can assure you that Gunpla is much preferable to LEGO as well. Those set pricetags stack up.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wish the Linkin Park Gundam wasn't 300 bucks. :smith:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zodack posted:

As someone who still occasionally dabbles in it and got his building start on it, I can assure you that Gunpla is much preferable to LEGO as well. Those set pricetags stack up.

I mean, depending on what sets you look at, 20 bucks worth of Lego can be comparable to the entertainment value of a 20 dollar Gundam, about the same size, and you can rebuild the Lego kit into something different when you're bored.

Once you get up to Real Grade, Gundam's a much more satisfying build at the price, but if you're just talking raw amount of plastic per dollar, Lego is probably the safer bet.

(I mean, outside of Japan. If you're paying less than Bandai retail, that changes the math.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monaghan posted:

Maybe try steering them into the 30MM kits perhaps? The kits are designed to be simple to build and the various accessory packs are cheap and plentiful.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Maybe try steering them into the 30MM kits perhaps? The kits are designed to be simple to build and the various accessory packs are cheap and plentiful.

The new Entry Grade Gundam might be a good pick, too. Dirt cheap, looks good, poses well, builds easy.

(Might be best if you have kits as an "earned" thing, thinking long term. You know, reward for chores, prize for good grades, that kind of thing. Helps you pace things out and makes it feel more "special". But that goes into broader parenting philosophy questions and is thus none of my business.)

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, depending on what sets you look at, 20 bucks worth of Lego can be comparable to the entertainment value of a 20 dollar Gundam, about the same size, and you can rebuild the Lego kit into something different when you're bored.

Once you get up to Real Grade, Gundam's a much more satisfying build at the price, but if you're just talking raw amount of plastic per dollar, Lego is probably the safer bet.

(I mean, outside of Japan. If you're paying less than Bandai retail, that changes the math.)

I won't disagree, but also if you compare LEGO pricetags for things like Star Wars ships, collectors items from the USC line, things like that... there's no real contest. Of course, that's not exactly what someone's child is going to be thinking about usually.

Guess I was imaging the finished product instead of bulk plastic.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I've been experimenting with my DIY repair for the kits I mucked up my Seamline removal on (The Jesta/Cannon and recently the GM Sniper II which I'm taking slowly)

Rather than properly seal with my clamp, it instead bent out, and even after separating and re-applying it, there was a gap. So, time to create some home made paste out of runner.

I've currently made 3 colours of paste. Jesta Black, Jesta Cannon light-grey, and GM Sniper II blue.

Now, I think with my Cannon and Jesta, my paste was too thin and runny, I say this because it had quite a bit of shine to it even after sanding, giving the impression of... coloured weaker plastic cement than plastic putty. I've been adding runner and doing experiments. I think in both cases I used way too much plastic cement because these were the smallest jars I had and I didn't know if they'd work out. The GM Sniper II I finally think I got the consistency right.

Focus is a bit awful, but you can tell what I mean between one looking more like plastic has hardened and can be cleaned up, and the other looking like dried, coloured plastic cement.

I of course may be completely wrong, but I'm trying to get an idea of what's what here.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

maybe went a little crazy with some add-on Builders kits and the 30 Minute Missions effects kits

https://twitter.com/SleepySeaLily/status/1360449624520208385

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
it's time

https://newtype.us/p/9DWx7uxwfV2UbrWqrucb/h/megahouse-zeta-gundam-argama-catapult-deck

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Slightly Mecha-adjacent, but does anyone know what the typical quality/paint-necessity/glue-requirement is like with Aoshima kits? I've got the Gunbuster, but it's not really indicative of something more vehicle-like and I've just seen on HLJ they're releasing a set of Thunderbirds 1-4 in May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

That's nice and all... but I want a 1/144 ship kit.