Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

The first guy to give the thumbs up was a massive knob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Gumball Gumption posted:

How do you feel about the NWO and now Bullet Club using the far-right Turkish Wolf?

wolfpac is back causin' mass destruction

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

Ospreay is British, Fred Perry here doesn’t have the Proud Boy stink on it.

It’s still mostly worn by dickheads though, as is most ‘brand name’ clothing.

I mean, the aesthetic is that of the football casuals who are also EXTREMELY racist

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

I mean, the aesthetic is that of the football casuals who are also EXTREMELY racist

It's very much "kick the poo poo out of you in front of Southend's shittest nightclub", but that fits with Ospreay's Essex New Money Wanker gimmick.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

davidbix posted:

I've been doing journalisms for hours and I'm about to pass out.

BUT.

The Stan Lane/Lauren Boebert story is so much wilder than you can possibly imagine. Hopefully I secure somewhere to explain how and why in the morning.
post the artisanal scoop

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Nah it's cool everyone, I guess white supremacists and loosely co-opting similar styles of dress and hand signs are okay. gently caress me, I guess!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lamuella posted:

It's very much "kick the poo poo out of you in front of Southend's shittest nightclub", but that fits with Ospreay's Essex New Money Wanker gimmick.

He very much looks like you'd see him talking about smashing some birds in Marbs with Joey Essex

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Ganso Bomb posted:

Nah it's cool everyone, I guess white supremacists and loosely co-opting similar styles of dress and hand signs are okay. gently caress me, I guess!

Yep that is definitely the takeaway you should get from this.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

what

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://www.fredperry.com/subculture/articles/made-in-england-fred-perry-shirt

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ganso Bomb posted:

Have you ever considered that letting the nazis dictate what the fundamental building blocks of communication itself actually mean might have some minor drawbacks?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

Now this is a crazy thought, but maybe the whole point of far-right groups coopting widely used signs and aesthetics is to make themselves look more popular and important than they actually are?

They do it because it's a way to quietly identify eachother that's plausibly deniable and because it's actually pretty easy to use the "OK" symbol in contexts where it's clear you're not just saying "OK." They've been doing stuff like this forever, like 1488, it's not exactly new.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

I should have guessed it.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
which hate group did the suck it besides DX?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

You still have it backwards and everyone's point is that the connections are only aesthetic, they just look similar. Again, it's like being mad at the NWO or any sports teams with a wolf mascot because they make a wolf with their hands and so does a far right group. Why does the far right group get to own making a wolf with your hand?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

your friend wicka posted:

They do it because it's a way to quietly identify eachother that's plausibly deniable and because it's actually pretty easy to use the "OK" symbol in contexts where it's clear you're not just saying "OK." They've been doing stuff like this forever, like 1488, it's not exactly new.

And they do it using extremely common symbols because they want to give the impression that they represent some kind of silent majority when they're actually a tiny minority.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ganso Bomb posted:

It’s almost as if the American far right isn’t as relevant a cultural touch point for people outside of America!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

beggar posted:

they all suck!!

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

beggar posted:

If you're not down with that, I've got 14 words for ya...

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Lazy like a Fox posted:

If you're not down with that, I've got 14 words for ya...

“The fact is, Booker, somebody like you doesn’t get to be a world champion.”

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

And they do it using extremely common symbols because they want to give the impression that they represent some kind of silent majority when they're actually a tiny minority.

What about "1488" or all the various crosses and runes and poo poo they use is "extremely common" or suggests they want to imply "silent majority?" The only symbology I'm aware of that could possibly fit in this category is the "OK" sign, which again is insanely easy to deduce the meaning of using basic context, and also wasn't even their own idea to begin with. All of these signs have an actual practical purpose, which is to identify each other publicly; that purpose falls apart if they can be easily mistaken for something else. No one is going to confuse Ospreay's hand sign as an indication that he's a fascist unless they're super reactionary and weird, because it has an obvious and established meaning other than that (and also it's not even the same sign).

It always baffles me how many people get mad at others simply observing a thing that is happening.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Ganso Bomb posted:

No one is saying this, at all.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

. No one is going to confuse Ospreay's hand sign as an indication that he's a fascist unless they're super reactionary and weird,

Literally happening ITT

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Literally happening ITT

Yeah man, by someone who is being super reactionary and weird lmao. Ganso badposting doesn't change the fact that it's insanely easy to tell when people are normally saying "OK" and when they're not.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

It always baffles me how many people get mad at others simply observing a thing that is happening.

nobody is doing this we're making fun of someone for jumping at shadows which your own post acknowledges are shadows

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Regardless of anything, I think it's an absolutely gack looking shirt

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

What about "1488" or all the various crosses and runes and poo poo they use is "extremely common" or suggests they want to imply "silent majority?" The only symbology I'm aware of that could possibly fit in this category is the "OK" sign, which again is insanely easy to deduce the meaning of using basic context, and also wasn't even their own idea to begin with. All of these signs have an actual practical purpose, which is to identify each other publicly; that purpose falls apart if they can be easily mistaken for something else. No one is going to confuse Ospreay's hand sign as an indication that he's a fascist unless they're super reactionary and weird, because it has an obvious and established meaning other than that (and also it's not even the same sign).

Majority of those crosses, runes, and poo poo are also taken from existing religions, group, and beliefs and were co-opted over many different years by different white supremacist groups. Things like 1488 are used because you can slip them into places as secret codes to people who think like you.

And honestly, it makes me mad because it makes me mad when people treat racism, bigotry, and all these right wing groups as just being a list of things you can do/can't do or can say/can't say. It's a childish and harmful and ignores the actual effects these groups have. I don't give a gently caress who wears a Fred Perry polo, I just give a poo poo if the person wearing it is wearing it because they like it or because they want their nazi poo poo friends to know they're also a nazi. But those Nazi shits also shouldn't be able to intimidate, or convince well meaning people to help intimidate others, people into not wearing a polo. Then all of those things become their symbols and they own them and no one is actually pushing back on the Nazis, they're just pushing back on dumb aesthetic poo poo.

edit: On re-read I think we agree in that it's the context that actually matters.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Regardless of anything, I think it's an absolutely gack looking shirt

Anyone who buys it should be mocked for buying a hideous polo shirt first and foremost, yes.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alaois posted:

nobody is doing this we're making fun of someone for jumping at shadows which your own post acknowledges are shadows

My point is in response to this:

Cerebral Bore posted:

Have you ever considered that letting the nazis dictate what the fundamental building blocks of communication itself actually mean might have some minor drawbacks?

And that it's actually OK to acknowledge what they are doing and keep an eye out for it rather than just pretending it does not exist. We're not letting them dictate what things mean, we're acknowledging things have different meanings in different contexts.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Majority of those crosses, runes, and poo poo are also taken from existing religions, group, and beliefs and were co-opted over many different years by different white supremacist groups.

Yeah all that is really annoying. I was loving FUMIN' when I learned that loads of racists in america use Irish celtic symbols for tattoos. Like gently caress offfffff.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah all that is really annoying. I was loving FUMIN' when I learned that loads of racists in america use Irish celtic symbols for tattoos. Like gently caress offfffff.

As an American, any other American guy who's SUPER into his Irish heritage is always immediately suspicious. Some of them are just normal guys from Boston, but there's enough that are just pieces of poo poo that it's a red flag.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

My mom's super racist and she's so into her Irish heritage that she hung up "WORK WANTED: No Irish Need Apply" signs over our house when I was a kid. So that checks out.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

And honestly, it makes me mad because it makes me mad when people treat racism, bigotry, and all these right wing groups as just being a list of things you can do/can't do or can say/can't say. It's a childish and harmful and ignores the actual effects these groups have. I don't give a gently caress who wears a Fred Perry polo, I just give a poo poo if the person wearing it is wearing it because they like it or because they want their nazi poo poo friends to know they're also a nazi. But those Nazi shits also shouldn't be able to intimidate, or convince well meaning people to help intimidate others, people into not wearing a polo. Then all of those things become their symbols and they own them and no one is actually pushing back on the Nazis, they're just pushing back on dumb aesthetic poo poo.

You strike me as the kind of person who is responding primarily to six follower Twitter accounts rather than actual widespread attitudes. Making yourself aware of how the far-right identifies themselves is not the same as saying no one can use the OK symbol to mean OK, and frankly I've never personally encountered anyone believes that until this very thread. But I do see a lot of people complaining about that kind of mythical attitude as if it's a real problem society faces, and I just don't think that's the case. You can find at least one person expressing every dumb idea, that doesn't mean they matter.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

You mean like 'the Great White' Sheamus? :thunkher:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The overall point continues to be that the cultural connotations of a British wrestler wearing Fred Perry are different from those of an American wrestler doing the same. https://twitter.com/RealKingRegal/status/600337288585850880

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

You strike me as the kind of person who is responding primarily to six follower Twitter accounts rather than actual widespread attitudes. Making yourself aware of how the far-right identifies themselves is not the same as saying no one can use the OK symbol to mean OK, and frankly I've never personally encountered anyone believes that until this very thread. But I do see a lot of people complaining about that kind of mythical attitude as if it's a real problem society faces, and I just don't think that's the case. You can find at least one person expressing every dumb idea, that doesn't mean they matter.

This is becoming a weird derail but I have no problem with people being aware of how the far right identifies itself. If I had a problem with that I wouldn't know so much about how they do. I just have a problem with generalizations in general and I've absolutely seen the same reactionary attitude in lots of places beyond this thread and that attitude flat out helps the far right because they can then take over symbols, make them forbidden to everyone else, and then just keep doing the things they want to do.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Lamuella posted:

The overall point continues to be that the cultural connotations of a British wrestler wearing Fred Perry are different from those of an American wrestler doing the same. https://twitter.com/RealKingRegal/status/600337288585850880

It's more of a square/rectangle situation here anyway. No one is going to assume you're a Proud Boy just because you're wearing Fred Perry, but if you're a Proud Boy you're probably wearing Fred Perry. I still think people are getting mad at the dumbest people on Twitter and assuming they're indicative of widespread beliefs when they're really not. Heck, Twitter thought Bird Box was good.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It's more of a square/rectangle situation here anyway. No one is going to assume you're a Proud Boy just because you're wearing Fred Perry, but if you're a Proud Boy you're probably wearing Fred Perry. I still think people are getting mad at the dumbest people on Twitter and assuming they're indicative of widespread beliefs when they're really not. Heck, Twitter thought Bird Box was good.

You seem to have missed how this discussion got started because nobody is talking about a bad take on Twitter.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Rarity posted:

You mean like 'the Great White' Sheamus? :thunkher:

The great shite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
(Sheamus is actually really nice and called me in a promo out when he worked with a friend of mine on a promotional video)