Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Yeah I'm worried for Mad Catter and also Shatter, they've both really grown on me over time. Hypershock, too.

Finding myself with a lot of favorite robots this season. And I love the weirder stuff like P1 vs Smeeeeee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

After looking at the bracket some more, P1 got screwed and the producers definitely made some question able seeding decisions

3-0 Mad Catter at 12 is lol

Mad catter had a really weak set of opponents. Yes they're all 2-1 but the highest ranked bot any of its opponents won against was Malices questionable JD vs Shatter. 12 sounds right, imo.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

UltraShame posted:

Hydra getting #1 with that dumb bicycle rack "weapon" is real stupid.

This is what irks me the most. You want to give them a win for that nonsense? Whatever, you’re the judges. But to reward him with a #1 seed? Come the gently caress on

Edit: I feel dumb, but anyone able to figure out how to use their online bracket? You’d think that you just click the name of the team you think will advance, but it takes me to the team profile page instead

Kloaked00 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 12, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Huge and Hydra in the same quadrant

Lmao

The bike rack fight was just the setup for Huge's triumphant comeback

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I just don't want hydra to win at this point. gently caress em

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The episode was overall disappointing / boring, but they can't all be winners. Uppercut is a winner but it's too drat top heavy. Once again bite force displays itself as the epitome of bot perfection by being bottom heavy as gently caress

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hydra/Uppercut: In a fight, it's very important for it to be physically possible for your weapon to ever actually touch your opponent.

Rusty/Sawblaze: This was a more humiliating defeat than most KOs. When the robots kill us all and create their own civilization, this is what their slasher movies will look like.

Gamma 9/Tantrum: Watching the Batmobile flee in terror from a rejected Thomas the Tank Engine character is funny.

End Game/Hypershock: Congratulations End Game & Hypershock, you are the winners of the Most Neon Fight Award.

P1/Smeeeeeeeeeeeeee: I didn't know robots did mating dances. I've never seen a robot score a knockout, then drag their opponent back into the fight so that they can knock them out again. Alpha dog move.

Beta/Grabot: This fight was like morning sex. I got exactly what I wanted and exactly what I expected. But it feels so routine!

Valkyrie vs. Whiplash: Let's ram our faces together until one of us is crippled, then play grabass.

Edit: What the gently caress was this?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 12, 2021

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Halloween Jack posted:

Hydra/Uppercut: In a fight, it's very important for it to be physically possible for your weapon to ever actually touch your opponent.

Rusty/Sawblaze: This was a more humiliating defeat than most KOs. When the robots kill us all and create their own civilization, this is what their slasher movies will look like.

Gamma 9/Tantrum: Watching the Batmobile flee in terror from a rejected Thomas the Tank Engine character is funny.

End Game/Hypershock: Congratulations End Game & Hypershock, you are the winners of the Most Neon Fight Award.

P1/Smeeeeeeeeeeeeee: I didn't know robots did mating dances. I've never seen a robot score a knockout, then drag their opponent back into the fight so that they can knock them out again. Alpha dog move.

Beta/Grabot: This fight was like morning sex. I got exactly what I wanted and exactly what I expected. But it feels so routine!

Valkyrie vs. Whiplash: Let's ram our faces together until one of us is crippled, then play grabass.

Edit: What the gently caress was this?

Uppercut's wedglets got stuck on the floor a lot in that fight. They honestly might have cost them the fight, because every time it looked like they might be able to get around Hydra they got stuck on some tiny dent on the floor.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Oh I legitimately forgot beta fought and used it's weapon. It's a loving terrifying weapon.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Kenny getting attacked was worth watching the episode for...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Wikipedia has a good looking graphic of the bracket with all the state flags of where each competitor is from. A lot of Floridians and Californians, and the biggest robots are from the smallest states.

Grabot is a bad robot, but I like that guy who made a weird staff to shake in all the audience shots.

Smeeeeeeeeeeeeee was a weird new idea and I think it has potential, but it's not quite there yet. It's got the Gemini problem of the individual robots being kinda underpowered, and when the middle isn't being hit, it has twice the weaknesses. It was nice to see P1 get a good win, because I knew it was an okay robot even though it got some real bad losses.

Rusty I knew would get cut up real bad, because definitely all that metal isn't like some ultra-hard alloy that had to be cut with a waterjet. Hopefully he'll still get to be in some exhibition matches. I guess the same goes for new Chomp. I love that they're in about the same place even though coming from basically the most opposite ends of the spectrum you can get.

I don't really get why Valkyrie has all those greebles on its armor, but man, it shed a lot of pieces while it was getting slammed around.

There's a bit of an arms race to get your forks closest to the ground to get under the enemy robot, but as the years went on and the battlebox floor got more and more hosed up, anyone who's gonna try having their lifting forks dangling and scraping the ground is gonna get caught up on poo poo. Especially if they're narrow and skinny. And if the stiffer and more directly attached to the frame the forks are, the more that'll make the robot flip rather than the forks just skidding off.

I still really hate Hydra.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Tombstone vs Mad Catter is the producers screaming “there can only be one villain of battle bots, and it’s Billings”. I can see why, they both only pretend to be bad guys but Ray has got it down better, like a tax collector, authoritarian and almost always has it together. The Community College Hulk Hogan stuff doesn’t sit well with the tone of the show - the editors and hosts would have to do him way more favours than they really care to to make it just not stick out like a sore thumb.

It’s sad/funny because he clearly made the choice at the outset to differentiate himself because even though the entire thing for him is to prove you don’t need MIT to make something amazing he came at it from a place of weakness. He’s clearly a totally great nice dude who is great at being a sportsman, teacher and engineering, and not at acting and would probably be way better served by just being himself. There have been professors on BB before but I think if he could nail being himself plus 20% for TV, he has a way way better chance at becoming institutional to the sport and would better serve his cassus belli.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's a bit of an arms race to get your forks closest to the ground to get under the enemy robot, but as the years went on and the battlebox floor got more and more hosed up, anyone who's gonna try having their lifting forks dangling and scraping the ground is gonna get caught up on poo poo. Especially if they're narrow and skinny. And if the stiffer and more directly attached to the frame the forks are, the more that'll make the robot flip rather than the forks just skidding off.
But who taught it to dance :3:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Great Beer posted:

I suspect Rustys driver asked for those fights so he could be on TV more.

Honestly not a bad idea. He gets to show off he has the durability down and even like 2 sponsors would times infinity his budget.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Tombstone & Madcatter fight will probably be a pretty good match and either one could win that fight... Madcatter lasted pretty long against Rotator in the Bounty Hunter tournament (Although filmed after the main season) and Rotator has been a far more reliable bot than what Tombstone can be...

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I've just now been able to realize why I don't like certain bots. I don't like it when bots can't (or worse, won't) fire their weapon unless they have their opponent pinned against a wall. This includes most hammers and saws, as well as a lot of lifters. Beta in this episode was boring! Classic Beta, swinging and flipping, is awesome! Sawblaze is right on the edge, since it's so fast that it can get those pins pretty often in a fight. Blacksmith, as impotent as its hammer is, at least would go ham in most of its fights.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The smeeeeeeeeeeee fight was amazing, and i wish the bot had a functional drivetrain in the previous round.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
The P1/Smeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee fight was a highlight of the episode for me, the look of pure joy on P1s driver when he scooped up Sme was infectious. "omg it worked!"

The Valkyrie/Whiplash one was almost hard to watch just for how hard Valkyrie was getting dominated. Amazing driving though, and you gotta be happy lasting through 3 minutes of that.

Sawblaze/Rusty was a great spectacle as well, you don't always see Sawblaze get that much direct saw choppin action.

LOL at Kenny getting beaned with the light cover, I don't think I've seen someone manage to get hit with anything before.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

chaosbreather posted:

Tombstone vs Mad Catter is the producers screaming “there can only be one villain of battle bots, and it’s Billings”. I can see why, they both only pretend to be bad guys but Ray has got it down better, like a tax collector, authoritarian and almost always has it together. The Community College Hulk Hogan stuff doesn’t sit well with the tone of the show - the editors and hosts would have to do him way more favours than they really care to to make it just not stick out like a sore thumb.

It’s sad/funny because he clearly made the choice at the outset to differentiate himself because even though the entire thing for him is to prove you don’t need MIT to make something amazing he came at it from a place of weakness. He’s clearly a totally great nice dude who is great at being a sportsman, teacher and engineering, and not at acting and would probably be way better served by just being himself. There have been professors on BB before but I think if he could nail being himself plus 20% for TV, he has a way way better chance at becoming institutional to the sport and would better serve his cassus belli.

More than once I've noticed him like steeling himself before speaking. Like you can see him turning the character on. You gotta do that backstage buddy! Takes me right out of it!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

oh jay posted:

I've just now been able to realize why I don't like certain bots. I don't like it when bots can't (or worse, won't) fire their weapon unless they have their opponent pinned against a wall. This includes most hammers and saws, as well as a lot of lifters. Beta in this episode was boring! Classic Beta, swinging and flipping, is awesome! Sawblaze is right on the edge, since it's so fast that it can get those pins pretty often in a fight. Blacksmith, as impotent as its hammer is, at least would go ham in most of its fights.

I think it's a side effect of beta being gas powered now. When it was electric, there's no reason not to swing all the time. You've got hammer for days. But gas power means limited swings and that little voice in your head saying to make them count.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

PostNouveau posted:

More than once I've noticed him like steeling himself before speaking. Like you can see him turning the character on. You gotta do that backstage buddy! Takes me right out of it!

Yep. And the only reason why you’re seeing it is because the director and editor are leaving it in. They are giving his gimmick precisely nothing, leaving it out in the sun. The could say “hey this just isn’t playing, this is more of a serious kind of show where people mostly are just heightened versions of themselves. wanna take it from one”, they could cut around him to make it more solid and have the commentators lean in instead of bounce off, they could even cut it to make the gimmick funny. But nope, he gets nothing and that is a choice.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Great Beer posted:

I think it's a side effect of beta being gas powered now. When it was electric, there's no reason not to swing all the time. You've got hammer for days. But gas power means limited swings and that little voice in your head saying to make them count.

Yeah, I think a lot of pneumatic flippers have the same ethos of constantly conserving their weapon and waiting for the golden moment that barely ever comes. I think it's even more of a mental limit than it is a mechanical one. Like he could definitely have gotten some good hits in when he was rammed into his opponent and pushing them towards a wall, but he just didn't want to risk it.

Also it looks like he needs a bigger mask, because that nose just doesn't fit in there.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Anyone want to do a bracket prediction competition? Post your bracket, win points for predicting the winner, 1pt for 1st round, 2pt for 2nd round, etc...

Here's mine

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Kloaked00 posted:

Anyone want to do a bracket prediction competition? Post your bracket, win points for predicting the winner, 1pt for 1st round, 2pt for 2nd round, etc...

Here's mine

Whiplash gonna do it boys. I believe!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I won last year with my huge wins bracket, let's go in again!

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I am pro-Huge and it gives me no pleasure to report this

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I like that we have totally unique bots in the semi finals and finals currently

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Sure, why not. Let's go in on some wild predictions here and there.

Also I refuse to give Tombstone a win.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Here's mine, my wife and my 6 year old have also made brackets, and they're all completely different. Should be fun.

no broccoli please fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 13, 2021

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
bloodsport is the bot that's impressed me the most this year. that said:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

My hand-written bracket

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

8 entries so far and 8 different predicted winners

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tunicate posted:

The smeeeeeeeeeeee fight was amazing, and i wish the bot had a functional drivetrain in the previous round.

Smeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee was moving much better this episode, pity their horizontal spinners don't seem to connect and do any damage when it does its big pincer maneuver. I'm a fan but I think it needs a rethink & redesign before it becomes a contender.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Last year I went for logical choices (imo), now I'm going for "who is going to get hosed by attrition" as a major factor.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In a surprise twist, Rusty will fall from the rafters onto the surviving bot of the final match, winning it all

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Smeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee was moving much better this episode, pity their horizontal spinners don't seem to connect and do any damage when it does its big pincer maneuver. I'm a fan but I think it needs a rethink & redesign before it becomes a contender.

You can see one of the problems they're having before the fight even starts: the rear wheel on each side isn't touching the ground because it's so front heavy. That can't be good for traction.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Deadlift performs much better than I expected, like a P1 and Gruff hybrid. In early episodes I was always wondering about the gymbros in the audience, they've got a good bot.

Hydra bullshit aside this was a good year for robot fights and the spinoff series continues to deliver.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You're all picking with your hearts instead of your heads! Obviously evil is gonna triumph this year

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

End Game also already defeated evil once this year, it can do it again against a different evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Even though I want Perfect Phoenix to face Tombstone, I know it's not going to happen.