Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah thanks, i enjoyed looking at that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Quoting this for a new page, but also:

Auction Sheet posted:

5mt, ac, winch, dashboard cracks, steering wheel worn, interior dirty and scratches, carpet peeling, undercarriage surface rust, small chips in windshield, other dents scratches paint peeling

Inspection Report posted:

engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, timing belt sticker but faded, no sludge, coolant ok, no oil leaks, tires at 60% ok, spare ok, no leaks mold or rust in trunk, undercarriage very light surface rust only, body as is in diagram, windshield chips small, seats slightly worn, dashboard passenger side 1cm x1 crack, ceiling liner ok, no burns, ac ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, hub lock ok, lights ok, wipers ok, windows ok, mirrors ok, power steering ok

1996 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado SX Narrow Body, only a few months manufactured before the switch to the 90 series Prados. Shorty, 5 speed manual, 3 liter KZ turbo diesel, OEM electric winch, emerald green paint, and my most favorite of all, OEM wheels. Really not much new to say about these Prados, they are simply the best. Stoked to get my hands on some 90s though. Not long now....

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

I imported a sambar last year through Texas and I left it at my dads house while getting the title and registration ready. He lost the keys, both of them. Can a locksmith make a new key with just the locks as reference or am I going to have to import all new locks and an ignition?CA wasnt an option.

A locksmith worth a poo poo can decode the lock if they have the right tool for that lock and cut a key from the readings or they can make a key by impression with just the lock and the appropriate blank. It can take a while if they are out of practice with the process, and many locksmiths prefer replacement since it’s much faster and they can be on to the next call so you may have to call around to find one that is up for the challenge and it may cost a bit extra. If you have a chapter of TOOOL nearby they may be worth checking with, one of them might do it for free just for the challenge.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

everdave posted:

Thanks!!! Any input or tips/mods appreciate Oates!

If it’s a 91/92 US spec it’s got a 3fe engine, which everyone on ih8mud will poo poo on. I’ve had no problems with it, it’s slow but super reliable. The 3f was put into the 62 body style as well, so sometimes cross referencing earlier years can be helpful.

Also, all the same sites mentioned here for JDM parts is applicable. I’ve bought more parts from Amayama/megazip for my 91 than I have from a Toyota dealer.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

savesthedayrocks posted:

If it’s a 91/92 US spec it’s got a 3fe engine, which everyone on ih8mud will poo poo on. I’ve had no problems with it, it’s slow but super reliable. The 3f was put into the 62 body style as well, so sometimes cross referencing earlier years can be helpful.

Also, all the same sites mentioned here for JDM parts is applicable. I’ve bought more parts from Amayama/megazip for my 91 than I have from a Toyota dealer.

Good info thanks! I know it’s slow but supposedly not as pro e to some issues like head gaskets as others

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Fauxtool posted:

Its now legal and insured in Texas but I live in California. Has anyone had much luck registering imports in California? The tentative plan was to leave it registered in Texas if CA wasnt an option.

Don't bother trying to reg in CA, it'd cost you more than the car is worth. Even bringing a car in from another state you still need an EPA sticker or else you have to go the same nightmare FTP testing and modifying at G&K route. Diesels older than 97 (doesn't need smog) you can often bring in from other states if the DMV person doesn't get suspicious, but gas engines post 75 need a smog before reg can be completed and the smog place is going to tell you to go away after they realize the car isn't in the Big Book of Engines that they refer to for the mandatory visual inspection for aftermarket parts.

As far as keeping Texas registration, keep in mind there's a CHP program to encourage Californians to rat you out, it's called CHP REG now and the rhetoric has softened a lot, but it used to be called CHEATERS, they even had a telephone line for snitching on your neighbors at one point, now it's just a website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2njEGRAMvc

It's unlikely to happen but it can be used against you if you piss someone off enough. Also, if you get pulled over by the CHP and have a California license and out of state plates then you're definitely looking at a no-registration ticket, if you keep the license and plates in-sync and don't say anything dumb (like "I live in California") then you're ok.

astropika fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 7, 2021

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
My friend is still putting in some serious work on the 240z. Here's his latest video which you should all watch because it's wholesome and neat.

Also I bought him an account because you're all very smart and he'll have fun here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiBN6iJN9Mk

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

My friend is still putting in some serious work on the 240z. Here's his latest video which you should all watch because it's wholesome and neat.

Also I bought him an account because you're all very smart and he'll have fun here.

Where's this dude's thread?

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
He probably should make one. Seeing him work on that is a journey.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I love those hockey stripes.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

I love this. Welcome 240 dude!

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
My truck should hit Tacoma tomorrow, and I’m already looking for another vehicle to bring over. This could be a problem!

I remember seeing a Crown and a HiAce van in this thread, any thoughts on which way to lean? My thought is HiAce for potential sale down the road.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

savesthedayrocks posted:

My truck should hit Tacoma tomorrow, and I’m already looking for another vehicle to bring over. This could be a problem!

I remember seeing a Crown and a HiAce van in this thread, any thoughts on which way to lean? My thought is HiAce for potential sale down the road.

You will make more money on the HiAce, the Crown is something you get because you want to have it. Crowns are just weird sedans, the desire for them is far smaller than something unique to US roads like a HiAce, even a 2WD one. Celsior is a bit better to buy than a Crown even because the LS400 reverence bleeds over and you can get wool and the F package and poo poo like that. Crowns CAN be had for really little money vs. the amount of car you get but that's only cool if someone wants to buy the thing from you. Many more sales opportunities with a HiAce.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Dave - read up on the oil galley plug, it's the only real shortfall of the 3f aside from being really slow.

I am very jealous, I actually got the number of a guy in the ski area parking lot whose wife is 'making him sell' his fzj80. I'd been trying to find a manual hdt but as you well know those things are super in demand. I will 100% buy this random guys I met in a parking lot if he plays ball. That one looks to be in great shape, too!

Re: crown vs hiace, get the hiace. At least out here in the mountains those things are crazy in demand for the vanlife types. I bought a super custom as my first import and I was very very satisfied with it and the profit I eventually made.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 11, 2021

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have a Crown Majesta on the way because I was looking for something large, relatively inexpensive with super low miles for the family. I specifically picked this one for hopefully reliability. Of course I didn’t know about the “Multivision” and potential problems but this one has a fully functioning system.

But long story short if you plan on selling or even maybe later HIACE is the correct answer and will always keep increasing in value if things stay the same.

Cruiser is at the shop and I dropped off the new neutral safety switch. They are going to unfuck all the PO’s alarm and bullshit. He said it is confirmed rust free and in amazing body condition and he said every dude at the shop already asked him if it was for sale

everdave fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 11, 2021

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Thanks for the refs on HiAce. Having the engine over the seats seems weird! For you guys that bought one, any tips to look for?

Mtmd
Dec 29, 2008

savesthedayrocks posted:

Thanks for the refs on HiAce. Having the engine over the seats seems weird! For you guys that bought one, any tips to look for?

You get used to the cab over design pretty quickly. It is a cramped engine bay though and I imagine it's not super fun to work on.

You're going to want either a super custom or super custom limited trim. The others are basically stripper models. 4wd and diesel will get you the most money if you're thinking of selling it and let's be honest without those you've basically just imported a minivan with the steering wheel on the wrong side.

With the current generation that's legal for import you can either have the 3L na diesel with selectable 4wd w/ low range or the KZTE turbo diesel with full time awd. The 3L I owned was super stout and the 4wd system is basically the same as in the Hilux, 4runner etc so it was way better off road than it had any right to be but it was incredibly slow. Never driven one of the turbos so I don't know how either the engine or awd system compares. Beyond that there were a number of options so if you see one with something you like, go for it.

I will say my 3L powered van didn't really like the highway. It pretty much maxed out at 75 and the new owner, despite my warnings, tried to road trip it 1500 miles home and ended up overheating it really badly and getting stranded in the middle of nowhere within 48 hours of buying it.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I saw a little blue Carry on the Howard Frankland bridge yesterday and thought of this thread. Going at a good clip, too. I slowly passed her going about 70.

There was a very early 1st generation Lincoln Continental on a hot-shot trailer by the side of the roadway and I very much did not think of this thread. Hell of a car to transport on an open trailer.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

savesthedayrocks posted:

Rust along the gutters maybe and rear window/hatch in particular. Other than that I'm not aware of any common faults, they are fairly bulletproof and I regularly see the stripper models (all we got here in Australia, aside from grey market Super Customs) with north of 400k kms on the dial.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Friend of mine had some pretty significant rust developing in hard-to-fix places on his Midget 2. The thing currently is a shell ready to be painted after a few more patches, and he's fabricated new fenders because the old ones were too far gone near the attachment points.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Hiaces rust super duper bad, it's not that hard to find one without rust but if you don't keep it in mind you can get burned pretty good so make sure to inspect and just stay the hell away from anything with real rust or corrosion noted.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Yeah, apart from rust on the models you’re looking at, remember that the Hiace is a commercial work vehicle, it’s expected to have the absolute piss thrashed out of it daily by tradies and couriers. Just had a look at my local listings, the top 10 highest mileage ones for sale are all over 500,000km with the current champ being a 2011 former airport shuttle passenger van version with 780,000km and it still looks pretty mint. All of them clearly still have plenty of life left.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
As with anything if you are looking for rust free (which I always am) first look for a sheet with no S or C marks (especially C with a Japanese symbol after it that means corrosion hole).

I ha e bought plenty of cars with S marks that had no rust but I am Talking to have a better shot.

Then GET INSPECTED. I’ve also had plenty inspected with no marks that ended up having rust or corrosion.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Finally got my Jimny home and wheeled it around in the snow. It’s amazing just kinda crawled over everything and it’s so small it weaves through the trees no problem.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Mtmd posted:

You get used to the cab over design pretty quickly. It is a cramped engine bay though and I imagine it's not super fun to work on.

You're going to want either a super custom or super custom limited trim. The others are basically stripper models. 4wd and diesel will get you the most money if you're thinking of selling it and let's be honest without those you've basically just imported a minivan with the steering wheel on the wrong side.

With the current generation that's legal for import you can either have the 3L na diesel with selectable 4wd w/ low range or the KZTE turbo diesel with full time awd. The 3L I owned was super stout and the 4wd system is basically the same as in the Hilux, 4runner etc so it was way better off road than it had any right to be but it was incredibly slow. Never driven one of the turbos so I don't know how either the engine or awd system compares. Beyond that there were a number of options so if you see one with something you like, go for it.

I will say my 3L powered van didn't really like the highway. It pretty much maxed out at 75 and the new owner, despite my warnings, tried to road trip it 1500 miles home and ended up overheating it really badly and getting stranded in the middle of nowhere within 48 hours of buying it.

I'll disagree a bit with the 4WD being an absolute requirement. The most money IS in the 4WD models but the KZ 2WD Super Customs sell as well. It isn't 'just' a minivan with the steering wheel on the wrong side, it's a cab-over, turbo diesel Lexus-spec megacruising van that puts any similar-year domestic mini and full-size vans to shame. It doesn't look, drive, handle, or present itself like any USDM van. If you want the 'why do this' experience then import a 95 Honda Odyssey like I see Japanese Classics doing, that is just an imported van with the steering wheel on the other side. The KZ is the best engine to have for overall performance, even though like you said you can't get get a switchable 4WD in a KZ, they all full-time. The guy that bought our 2WD KZ drive it directly to California a few days after purchase, texted and said 'hey where is the VIN plate I forgot lol also van was great I love it made it no problem great drive' so there is that.

Only 3L we've had was in the green Hilux pickup and while 70~ MPH was it's max on the highway (and it took a bit to get to that speed) it cruised just fine all day. The dude that blew the cooling system must have really loving hammered it something awful because ours was just fine.

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Finally got my Jimny home and wheeled it around in the snow. It’s amazing just kinda crawled over everything and it’s so small it weaves through the trees no problem.

Hell yes!

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
Speaking of road trips, due to Telsa moving a ton of cars from California and Californians moving out of state it was cost prohibitive for me to ship my Delica in a timely manner, so I decided a 1400 mile road trip was in order. I flew out to Long Beach with a checked bag full of wrenches, a sleeping bag and drove the van back over the course of 4 days.

On a 4wd trail in Sedona, AZ

It ran like a champ the entire time, didn't even have a flat tire!

My second "checked bag" was a Igloo Playmate cooler. I made a grocery stop in Quartzsite, AZ for food, paid at the pump the entire way and slept in my sleeping bag with the back seats folded down. It was as socially distanced and responsible as possible all things considered. I had a blast so I can only imagine what it will be like when I do this again in the future and everything is more opened up.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That Delica rules so hard.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

johnnyonetime posted:

Speaking of road trips, due to Telsa moving a ton of cars from California and Californians moving out of state it was cost prohibitive for me to ship my Delica in a timely manner, so I decided a 1400 mile road trip was in order. I flew out to Long Beach with a checked bag full of wrenches, a sleeping bag and drove the van back over the course of 4 days.

On a 4wd trail in Sedona, AZ

It ran like a champ the entire time, didn't even have a flat tire!

My second "checked bag" was a Igloo Playmate cooler. I made a grocery stop in Quartzsite, AZ for food, paid at the pump the entire way and slept in my sleeping bag with the back seats folded down. It was as socially distanced and responsible as possible all things considered. I had a blast so I can only imagine what it will be like when I do this again in the future and everything is more opened up.

That is such a cool trip and car!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My customs broker kept saying he needed DOT & EPA forms, and I think the world of him, and I just kept thinking "he never asks for those until I get arrival notice". Well turns out I didn't keep scrolling down on the Hoegh BOL, I thought I had 3 at port in US, I have TEN. Yes they were all cleared before they got to US just didn't know they were already here.

What have I done

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

KakerMix posted:

To title an imported vehicle here in Florida requires the Entry Summary form you will receive completed by Homeland Security from your import broker...

I am in Sarasota and my area office is in Palmetto. Lucky for me as a licensed dealer they have mobile inspectors that can make the rounds. I email my inspector dude, he says when he’ll be by, he shows up, goes over the vehicles comparing paperwork to the actual vehicles, gives me a specific signed sheet of paper with his signature for every one of the vehicles he inspects. Those papers along with the paperwork I received from my import brokers (the same packet I give my driver/transport broker) come with me to the DMV to get Florida titles. Each title costs me around $110 per vehicle.

Can you clarify this part for me, what inspection is done before the title? Is it Homeland Security? I have the entry summary from GWL, and have a driver picking up the truck from port.

Edit: I think I figured it out based on how to title in Idaho, it’s someone from the state that inspects the vin.

savesthedayrocks fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 17, 2021

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

savesthedayrocks posted:

Can you clarify this part for me, what inspection is done before the title? Is it Homeland Security? I have the entry summary from GWL, and have a driver picking up the truck from port.

Edit: I think I figured it out based on how to title in Idaho, it’s someone from the state that inspects the vin.

Yeah, it sounds like you have it.

The Feds do their thing, say "ok legal for USA" and then hands it off to you, with the forms (especially 7501) filled, cleared and checked. Now, to secure a STATE title (at least in Florida) you have to have that Fed paperwork, the vehicle it's tied to, and someone from the state come and make sure the VIN on the paperwork matches the one on the vehicle itself. He goes "YEP" writes down the mileage (in kilometers now don't forget!) hands us a sheet with a stamp on it, THEN we take that whole bundle to the DMV and request a title.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Cool, thanks. Using GWL and they emailed me the customs form completed so shouldn’t have to stop at customs.

JCD sent me the hard copies via DHL, I think I’m going to have my truck before I get my packet of papers!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Yeah, it sounds like you have it.

The Feds do their thing, say "ok legal for USA" and then hands it off to you, with the forms (especially 7501) filled, cleared and checked. Now, to secure a STATE title (at least in Florida) you have to have that Fed paperwork, the vehicle it's tied to, and someone from the state come and make sure the VIN on the paperwork matches the one on the vehicle itself. He goes "YEP" writes down the mileage (in kilometers now don't forget!) hands us a sheet with a stamp on it, THEN we take that whole bundle to the DMV and request a title.

Let's say, in theory, you have a car that was imported properly federal-wise but never registered in Florida. Think I could just finish up the state paperwork and get a state title?

Car is a gasoline Mercedes SEL.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

madeintaipei posted:

Let's say, in theory, you have a car that was imported properly federal-wise but never registered in Florida. Think I could just finish up the state paperwork and get a state title?

Car is a gasoline Mercedes SEL.

There are ways around that because lol Florida, and while it might not technically be illegal IN Florida it's certainly outside the idea of the law and will not reflect well were something to happen.

That, and without the Federal paperwork and Federal exemption that comes with it, it will always be rolling contraband in the eyes of the feds. A state title doesn't make the car federally legal, and Florida isn't the one that goes around grabbing Skylines and Land Rovers and crushes them, that's what the federal government does.

All that being said, the 25 year rule is dumb as gently caress and has no morale standing and I wish no ill-will on people enjoying their cars. I save that for importers that shirk that responsibility and profit off the ignorance of their buyers and give the risk to them. Importing a car illegally for yourself? gently caress the law. Doing that to sell the car to someone else? gently caress you.

In closing, yeah you totally can get a Florida title for a car that was never federally imported properly, people do it all the time. If this Mercedes is already here then the hard part is already done.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I think he's saying it was imported at the federal level properly, though, and just still needs the state stuff done.

I don't know if Florida is going to maybe have questions about why it wasn't done in a timely matter, but I'd imagine that you can just finish the steps and be fine.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Krakkles posted:

I think he's saying it was imported at the federal level properly, though, and just still needs the state stuff done.

I don't know if Florida is going to maybe have questions about why it wasn't done in a timely matter, but I'd imagine that you can just finish the steps and be fine.

Yes, sorry. That is exactly what I was attempting to say.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Oh :v:

My mistake yeah you actually were really clearly saying it properly, the fault is with me. Whoops!

AS FAR AS I KNOW (which is extremely little) there is no time limit on doing this process. As you are just an individual they are probably going to request you bring the car to your local office, for me it's in Palmetto which isn't really local at all. Because we are a dealer though they let us request the inspector come to us so that isn't something we have to do. You should be able to call up the DMV and just say what's up, don't mention the time difference, just be like "hey I have a car imported from Germany I need inspected by the state to get a title" and that should make them go "oh one of these...ok so what you gotta do is..."

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

They will probably want to see the car in person for a quick visual inspection and then give you a Florida title.

At least that's what they do with out of state cars, I imagine it will probably be the same or close to that procedure.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I am lucky I bring a picture of all 4 corners to the clerk's office and that is it. I register and title cars all the time before they are even off the boat. I have a stack of 12 sitting here for cars that I have never seen in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mtmd
Dec 29, 2008
I have to drive mine to get inspected by the local auto theft unit at a station that they set up in an empty parking lot from 8am- 10am on the second Thursday of every month and is usually booked out months in advance and then argue with the tax office clerk about why I haven't applied for a title within 30 days of the date on the import paperwork :suicide: