Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Get SSO deployed and link it to whatever directory you already use for everything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Get SSO deployed and link it to whatever directory you already use for everything else

Azure AD isn't perfect but man does it make my life better these days.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

I wouldn't keep any resources around at all that aren't needed, but I would create them with an automation tool so that they can be recreated, tweaked, renamed, etc, on a whim.

If that's not on the table, yeah I'd just delete their access keys. You can restrict the ability to create access keys for a user so that only you (or whatever) are allowed to, if you need that level of safety.

If replacing access keys is expensive (maybe it requires a code change + redeploy, or something), you can detach all of their policies instead and then re-attach when needed. Probably create a customer managed policy for this. You can also restrict the ability to create, edit, and attach policies if needed.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Cool, thanks all - sso and automation are next up on the docket after the cobwebs are cleaned out

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Fool posted:

According to this link the message size limit is 28k

I cannot think of a legitimate reason to reach that, much less exceed it, in a single message.

Instead of attaching word documents, I just copy the document's contents and paste it in to a Teams message. Much more streamlined.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

yeah hook that poo poo up to SSO and never use IAM users ever again, just roles which they assume from SSO.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

i am a moron posted:

Submarine sandpaper, explain yourself!!!

It starts with control + a

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Probably storing entire code base in teams instead of a git repo :downs:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Do you guys know of a way to expand multiple partitions into empty space by percentage on linux? We have some CIS hardened AMIs that are parted by percentages using a 100GB disk, but if we expand that disk to like, 200GB, it won't grow each partition by those same percentages. Kind of at a loss.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 11, 2021

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sepist posted:

Do you guys know of a way to expand partitions into empty space by percentage on linux? We have some CIS hardened AMIs that are parted by percentages using a 100GB disk, but if we expand that disk to like, 200GB, it won't grow each partition by those same percentages. Kind of at a loss.

What file system? LVM?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sepist posted:

Do you guys know of a way to expand partitions into empty space by percentage on linux? We have some CIS hardened AMIs that are parted by percentages using a 100GB disk, but if we expand that disk to like, 200GB, it won't grow each partition by those same percentages. Kind of at a loss.

lvm (and lvresize in particular) is probably what you’re looking for.

https://linux.die.net/man/8/lvresize

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

PCjr sidecar posted:

What file system? LVM?

ext4. I updated it, I meant multiple partitions at once. On the CIS hardened image xvdb has 5 partitions on the second disk. Right now I'm whipping up a script that does the math on a 'parted xvdb print' command to grab the disk size and math it out.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Got a job lead through a recruiter, pay is very nice (would be a 125% bump) but I feel like the pay is attempting to lull me into ignoring the red flags that are flying out of the job description. Basically sounds like sole engineer/admin for a company of undetermined size but holds half a trillion in assets so I am assuming size is "Not as small as it should be for one person doing all the things".

I'll probably let it play out and see but god I just want a job that isn't going to try to crush my spirit with 50+ hour weeks every week.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
Here's one for the Teams apologists. If I want to do a smiling emoji I start to type
code:
:s
but as soon as I do it converts that into a :-S type emoji. What's up with that? Do I have to go into the menu and do it that way?

I send a lot of :-S inadvertently. And nearly send a lot of :thumbsdown: because unlike Slack it does not put your frequently used emojis at the top, so typing
code:
:thu
doesn't bring up :thumbsup: until you get all the way to
code:
:thumbsu

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I basically only ever use :D

Or hit the thumbs up reaction button

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have MSN Messenger brain so it was good to see (y) bring up a thumbs up in teams

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

cheque_some posted:

Here's one for the Teams apologists. If I want to do a smiling emoji I start to type [...]

AFAIK the only way to adjust these behaviors is to unpack teams back into javascript and start poking around, which is where you'll also want to go if you want custom emojis. We have some custom emojis that start with :s at my employer and they're un-typeable, you basically have to paste them or click on them in the selector.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

MF_James posted:

Got a job lead through a recruiter, pay is very nice (would be a 125% bump) but I feel like the pay is attempting to lull me into ignoring the red flags that are flying out of the job description. Basically sounds like sole engineer/admin for a company of undetermined size but holds half a trillion in assets so I am assuming size is "Not as small as it should be for one person doing all the things".

I'll probably let it play out and see but god I just want a job that isn't going to try to crush my spirit with 50+ hour weeks every week.

Is it crypto? Its crypto isn't it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

I have MSN Messenger brain so it was good to see (y) bring up a thumbs up in teams

Same

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thanks Ants posted:

Had to use Google Meet today and with a few video participants it runs like poo poo. Most likely also a Chrome problem but that's Google's fault as well.

We use Meet and Chrome as well, and I don't see the same issues in our meetings. Meet is at parity with WebEx and Zoom (except for sharing control) after a lot of work by Google during the pandemic. I can't compare it to Slack or anybody's Teams, but it gets the job done and as a Google shop, it's "free".

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

So basically the only good thing about Teams is that it’s free.

Sounds about right.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Sepist posted:

ext4. I updated it, I meant multiple partitions at once. On the CIS hardened image xvdb has 5 partitions on the second disk. Right now I'm whipping up a script that does the math on a 'parted xvdb print' command to grab the disk size and math it out.

Using raw partitions instead of LVM means if you resize you'll have to also move a lot of data around. It may be faster to use clonezilla to take an image, then apply that image while checking the "enlarge proportionally" flag.

This approach may be faster than trying to do it in-place, and you have a handy backup image in case it goes wrong, and it can be automated.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

(H)

i miss those simpler times when all we had was

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Teams needs to hurry up and support custom emojis so I can start using :frogout:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Jeoh posted:

(H)

i miss those simpler times when all we had was

All food is pizza unless cake

As an aside, I have a Win10 Pro laptop running PrintNode to allow printing from our web app. Is there any way to force the laptop to always* be on and have print node running? e.g. if theres a forced update, make sure it reboots back to a state where PrintNode is on? People will be printing all hours of the day, though a "reboot the thing" maintenance window is planned. Still needs PW protection obv.

(*99.5% is plenty good)

EDIT: NVM, found this: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/49963-use-sign-info-auto-finish-after-update-restart-windows-10-a.html#option3

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 12, 2021

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Or deploy the Raspberry Pi PrintNode client

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Thanks Ants posted:

I feel old now. Thanks. :smith:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
First week at my new job. Had a call with a teammate and right at that second my boys decided to have a screaming fistfight right outside of my office. Cool stuff dudes.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

i am a moron posted:

First week at my new job. Had a call with a teammate and right at that second my boys decided to have a screaming fistfight right outside of my office. Cool stuff dudes.

Ehhhh this is something people bring up a lot as embarrassing/whatever but everyone is in the same situation (or at least was at one point, now it's about 50/50 in my experience) and is very understanding. I've been on calls with all sorts of people with various screaming/barking/crying/whatever in the background, sometimes life happens at inconvenient times.

I don't have kids but I have a barky dog and everyone just shrugs it off and keeps going or gives me a minute or two to calm him down.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My coworker has 4 yr old twins and a 2 yr old. They all had the flu at the same time. That was a loud call.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

MF_James posted:

Ehhhh this is something people bring up a lot as embarrassing/whatever but everyone is in the same situation (or at least was at one point, now it's about 50/50 in my experience) and is very understanding. I've been on calls with all sorts of people with various screaming/barking/crying/whatever in the background, sometimes life happens at inconvenient times.

I don't have kids but I have a barky dog and everyone just shrugs it off and keeps going or gives me a minute or two to calm him down.

Part of it is I’m feeling self conscious because I went from being the young rising star at my old company to now finding myself the oldest person on my team (and older than my manager for the first time ever!). I got a lot of kids and my title is senior and I’m old. Midlife crisis time

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

MF_James posted:

I'll take this any day over people eating, heavily breathing into the mic, or coughing directly into the mic

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bonzo posted:

I'll take this any day over people eating, heavily breathing into the mic, or coughing directly into the mic

My new job uses Teams, and I love the fact that I can mute other participants who do these things. I don't know if it notifies that I am the one who muted them but I really don't care.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
My favourite is people using the webcam/mic in their laptop and then rubbing it or scratching at the plastic frame of their laptop.

Also, was helping set up a bunch of new ESXi hosts, SANs, and all their iLOs today. Really didn't want to static IP all 40 devices so we just did DHCP, which wasn't an option ever before because we used a trash OES DHCP. Later someone mentions something to my boss, and he says they and someone else have to change it all to static IPs on Monday. He said if DHCP or DNS goes down we won't be able to get on them so we need a 'physical IP', (???) I think he believes if a DHCP server goes down then all the hosts just delete their IP address. His disaster recovery plan is memorising all these IPs... Because a situation where DNS and DHCP are unreachable would also mean our phpipam server is down. All the DHCP IPs will be documented still and I can just make it a Reservation if they so desperately want the IP to never change. You can't even add ESXi hosts to vCentre using an IP afaik, it has to be a hostname. We have two data centres, both DNS/DCs are in the same subnet on the same server infrastructure. The DHCP is spread across both in different subnets because I was at least able to do that without anyone interfering. All our like 150-200 VMs are statically IPed, but none of the non-Windows ones have PTR records because who ever keeps making A records for them unticks the box every time.

Am I the dumb one here? Is there something I'm missing? Does everyone just static IP all their servers/most other stuff still?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

My favourite is people using the webcam/mic in their laptop and then rubbing it or scratching at the plastic frame of their laptop.

Also, was helping set up a bunch of new ESXi hosts, SANs, and all their iLOs today. Really didn't want to static IP all 40 devices so we just did DHCP, which wasn't an option ever before because we used a trash OES DHCP. Later someone mentions something to my boss, and he says they and someone else have to change it all to static IPs on Monday. He said if DHCP or DNS goes down we won't be able to get on them so we need a 'physical IP', (???) I think he believes if a DHCP server goes down then all the hosts just delete their IP address. His disaster recovery plan is memorising all these IPs... Because a situation where DNS and DHCP are unreachable would also mean our phpipam server is down. All the DHCP IPs will be documented still and I can just make it a Reservation if they so desperately want the IP to never change. You can't even add ESXi hosts to vCentre using an IP afaik, it has to be a hostname. We have two data centres, both DNS/DCs are in the same subnet on the same server infrastructure. The DHCP is spread across both in different subnets because I was at least able to do that without anyone interfering. All our like 150-200 VMs are statically IPed, but none of the non-Windows ones have PTR records because who ever keeps making A records for them unticks the box every time.

Am I the dumb one here? Is there something I'm missing? Does everyone just static IP all their servers/most other stuff still?

Like you've found, most people don't really know how DHCP works, so they don't use it for things that might make life easier.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

It's not unreasonable to need/want predictable IPs for certain things, but the answer to that is to use static reservations from a dhcp server, not to abandon dhcp altogether.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Static your routers, the DHCP servers themselves, and your DCs. Pretty much everything else can work off reservations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Is there a reason push to talk never took off?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I keep everything that is not used in “emergency” situations on dhcp, stuff like ilos and idracs tends to be called upon when everything is gone to poo poo so I personally prefer to keep them on static ips just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

seems like having those 1hr leases would be a liability in an emergency