Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have the garage space for my bikes and I still wish I could bring them inside

I am seriously contemplating building one of my basket case bikes in the basement. If for no other reason than it will be impossible to remove, but also because it's considerably more climate controlled than the garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I am seriously contemplating building one of my basket case bikes in the basement. If for no other reason than it will be impossible to remove, but also because it's considerably more climate controlled than the garage.

Sounds like you need a guzzi.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I pulled the forks from my 690 in my unfinished basement over the winter b/c my garage was an outbuilding w/ no power or heat. I "rode" it up the outside stairs to get it back out and ripped up the steps pretty good in the process. Big single torque and rotten concrete = :blastu:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Gorson posted:

These are your standard Renthal 1 1/8" bars, how much narrower would you recommend? I like having the wide grip on the street but I have street bikes already and use it 80% offroad.

I was mostly joking because unless you're doing single track it doesn't matter. If you're doing tight single track then I think it depends on how tight and how much you want to trade off "Definitely missing that tree by a quarter inch" for "I can easily turn my bike." I personally cut my bars down ~3.5" but I'm shaped roughly like a cube so the increased effort for turning doesn't bother me at all and now my shoulders are the widest part of the bike and at least I can move them. I'd personally buy a lovely used set of bars for $20 and cut them down as much as you possibly can while still fitting all the controls just to see how that feels before you cut down bars you care about/have spent real money on. If you just want to cut your bars down, try a 1/2" off each side.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Jazzzzz posted:

I pulled the forks from my 690 in my unfinished basement over the winter b/c my garage was an outbuilding w/ no power or heat. I "rode" it up the outside stairs to get it back out and ripped up the steps pretty good in the process. Big single torque and rotten concrete = :blastu:

Yeah unfortunately the stairs out of my basement turn 90degrees right out the back door and the stairwell is only 2.5 feet wide so I can barely carry an engine through that let alone get a whole bike out that door.
The one through the house is even worse. It's a 180 degree turn with a landing halfway up.

Coincidentally, one of the best deals I've ever gotten on bike stuff was a guy who had a stash of 70's Honda stuff in his basement. I bought a complete CB125 from him and a shitload of parts. At least his basement had stairs straight out the door though. I was able to pull the bike up the stairs one step at a time.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jazzzzz posted:

See I was going to suggest just this. Build a supermoto in the basement, and prove yourself by riding it out. :getin:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/d/san-jose-suzuki-sv650/7271553492.html

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I was prepared to hate it but, after careful consideration, that owns.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am ambivalent. I do not love it, but I do not hate it either.

I think I could be pushed to the “love” side if it was a pointy frame

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I too prefer the pointy frame, but the rounded frame matches the MV aesthetics far better. The frame should be gloss black to match the round tailpipes though.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
The 2-into-4 is interesting, definitely.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That seems like a not insane price, too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm gonna go with it's a deathtrap because mv swingarms don't bolt in and geometry is hard. They adapted an rc30 swingarm :psyduck: literally destroying an irreplaceable part worth more than an SV so as to tart up an sv. Incredible.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 3, 2021

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

That seems like a not insane price, too.

It's a little high depending on market but I'd have to get real close to the workmanship to say for sure.

Slavvy posted:

I'm gonna go with it's a deathtrap because mv swingarms don't bolt in and geometry is hard. They adapted an rc30 swingarm :psyduck: literally destroying an irreplaceable part worth more than an SV so as to tart up an sv. Incredible.

I was not happy about this as well especially considering there are piles of Hawk and VFR swingarms around. But I have to think that the number of RC30 swingarms that exist is > the number of RC30 frames that exist.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just gonna hack the penis off of mikeo's david cause I need a cannon for my warhams, it'll look sick glued onto my orc tank!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Just gonna hack the penis off of mikeo's david cause I need a cannon for my warhams, it'll look sick glued onto my orc tank!

Like you wouldn't if you could get away with it

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

There is zero chance someone took a swingarm off a running RC30.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Actually, as I will show in the following diagrams, if the RC30 was doing a stoppie and

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Please do not post entries from my personal planning calendar. Extremely rude.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

OctaMurk fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 11, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
gently caress you could take out the shock, put a piece of box section tubing in its place, and still get suspension travel

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm really curious what kind of truck they expect to get for that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why do they never just do the swingarm? If it were just that you'd be able to convert it back into a bike pretty easily. But nope, have to destroy every single other part of it so nobody EVER thinks it's worthwhile to undo.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I'll give them the tiniest, infinitesimal bit of credit: at least the chain isn't sagging halfway to the ground like it does on most godawful stretch conversions. Everything else about that thing is an affront to motorcycle Jesus

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does the ninja frame normally just abruptly stop below the exhaust there or did they chop the frame too?

E: that’s the center stand, nm

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That seems like something you’d see in Tulsa.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does the ninja frame normally just abruptly stop below the exhaust there or did they chop the frame too?

E: that’s the center stand, nm

The ninja frame partially rearranges itself spontaneously in the hands of a previous owner.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RadioPassive posted:

The ninja frame partially rearranges itself spontaneously in the hands of a previous owner.

It's like the protein folding problem, only incredibly stupid.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

WHAT

WHY

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Making a cart perhaps?

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
That looks intact and undamaged, why would he pull the engine from a rare-ish bike rather than from a million crashed gen 2 busas?!

The stock exhausts are terrible and a giant fuckaround anyway, wonder if you could pick up a bus engine and Brock sidemount exhaust and chuck it in there without too much trouble?

Edit: I've spotted now the missing right pod/headlight/cluster. I had one written off because the cluster/headlight alone was going to be $4k + painting, that thing is Dead (and red was never a stock colour, only silver/black/blue & white & gold).

Isolationist fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 12, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

No, because there's no notable reasons to have one that aren't crazy expensive racing reasons.

You're forgetting people with disabilities, which is how they got onto racing bikes in the first place - I don't think Mick Doohan was the first person to do it after loving up his ankle so badly he couldn't brake, but he was certainly the one to popularise them. NABD have* a supply of universal-fitment thumb brakes for people with mobility issues and/or artificial legs so they could carry on riding (they also had kits to fit cycle-style shoe clips to bike boots and foot pegs for the same reason).

* Maybe had, it's been years and years since I spoke to the guy I know there. He had a thumb-operated quickshifter after losing his left leg in a crash - and a big scrape down the side of his artificial leg where it managed to detach itself mid-ride, which must have been unnerving for anyone following him.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Revvik posted:

WHAT

WHY

Front end alone is worth $500 if it isn't bent.

e: I think it's bent.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Revvik posted:

WHAT

WHY

Front crash, then took the engine out for something and...
:suzuki:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

builds character posted:

Front crash, then took the engine out for something and...
:suzuki:

Lol someone actually bought :suzuki:

:kiss:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Maybe had, it's been years and years since I spoke to the guy I know there. He had a thumb-operated quickshifter after losing his left leg in a crash - and a big scrape down the side of his artificial leg where it managed to detach itself mid-ride, which must have been unnerving for anyone following him.

I feel like seeing a rider's leg fall off would be enough to cause an accident

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lol someone actually bought :suzuki:

:kiss:

What else was I going to do? I already have the maximum number of anodized orange bolts (all of them).

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
ya'll acting like you've never seen a parts bike before

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah if you already have another bking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Put a Lifan 125cc in it.