Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Happy year of the Metal Ox to all of y'all.

'Ave a good one. If not for yourselves, then for me. A stranger on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

poopnanners posted:

BBC has already been blocked in China for years :shrug:

Edit: At least the website has been. Link doesn't work for me but this seems to reference the television service, which I don't think is available either.

This is the BBC World News, their international news show. It was indeed still available as I used to watch it whenever I was in CN. It'd occasionally just go black for minutes at a time whenever the censors decided it was doing a Naughty Thing, such as covering the HK protests. However, it was the only thing I bothered to watch in the hotel as background noise unless some good sport was on.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
"Undermining ethnic solidarity" is a hell of a charge against someone exposing ethnic genocide

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Man, after all those years of sucking that cock they just got tossed to the wayside.

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

Once again, Chinese state media’s New Year gala features blackface

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/02/11/cctv-gala-blackface-chunwan/

This was from 2 years ago: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-lunar-newyear-china-blackface-idUSKCN1G60ZE

At this point I think it's not ignorance any more (since the instance from 2 years ago had backlash for sure). I almost wonder if it's to make a point that China is not gonna bow down to "American Political Correctness". Or maybe no one involved in this whole process (there are MANY people who are involved in this process and many are probably western educated) dares to suggest "maybe we don't do blackface this year" because they'll be called a traitor who bows down to the west.

maybe we should do a podcast episode on anti-african racism in China...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Who has the story of the guy that paid for his trip home by sitting at the Great Wall in costume as “black genghis khan”?

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Who has the story of the guy that paid for his trip home by sitting at the Great Wall in costume as “black genghis khan”?

https://www.reddit.com/r/bestof/comments/efjtg2/black_dude_runs_out_of_money_in_china_makes_money/

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Here's the photo:

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

That blackface situation is pretty bad in general globally. I've had arguments with Brits, Australians, and Dutch who argued "blackface is fine here because it doesn't come from a place of mockery and hate like American minstrel shows". Specific incidents I remember offhand:

Harry Connick Jr. was guest judge on an Australian talent show with a blackface act and was furious when he realized what was going on. This was a minor news item at the time. Neither the performers, other judges, or Australian general public seemed to understand what they did wrong. Most Australians seemed to conclude "We see why he was upset, but he should know it just doesn't mean the same thing here".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3zGiMm7O64

For decades there has been a debate over whether Zwartie Piet(a popular Dutch blackface character) is racist. Progress has been agonizingly slow, with large amounts of Dutch people insisting to this day that it's a totally wholesome, non-racist tradition.
https://dutchreview.com/culture/zwarte-piet-explainer/

Die Antwoord, a white South African music group with a working class Afrikaans persona released two videos featuring blackface. The optics could hardly be worse but a large amount of people defended them endlessly("she's just trying to look like a panther"). Singer Yo-Landi for her part claimed that she didn't even know what blackface is.
https://slate.com/culture/2012/10/fatty-boom-boom-die-antwoord-video-literal-and-figurative-blackface-video.html

If you compare China to those Dutch or Australian reactions, it's an even lower level of public awareness. Jesus Christ, at least Colgate removed the blackface logo on their racist Chinese toothpaste.

strange feelings re Daisy fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 12, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Jesus Christ, at least Colgate removed the blackface logo on their racist Chinese toothpaste.

They also changed the name from Darkie to Darlie.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Whoa boy. And on the other side of the horseshoe, we've got this guy

https://twitter.com/tclementsuk/status/1360117857804316672

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Happy year of the Ox, beloved thread.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
you ever have ox tail? Good stuff but boy is it up there with T-bone in terms of frustrating bone to meat ratio

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

McGavin posted:

Isn't the chinese name still HeiRen? lol if so

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Tupperwarez posted:

Isn't the chinese name still HeiRen? lol if so

Indeed it is. Here's an ad jingle from 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zd43NzkNM8

BlueBull
Jan 21, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

you ever have ox tail? Good stuff but boy is it up there with T-bone in terms of frustrating bone to meat ratio

That good boy in your AV may strongly disagree with your opinion on the subject

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

WarpedNaba posted:

Whoa boy. And on the other side of the horseshoe, we've got this guy

https://twitter.com/tclementsuk/status/1360117857804316672

I was in a random thread in CSPAM a couple weeks ago and had an argument with people saying what China is doing to the Uighurs is okay because they're "not literal death camps". I was also called a reactionary for saying genocide is bad, which was pretty lol.

However, the number of people calling them loving idiots far outnumbered the apologists, so that was pretty good to see.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/ETtech/status/1359490066138099715?s=20

oh that's good to know

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Dude looks like megamind, is that a distorted image or what

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I was in a random thread in CSPAM a couple weeks ago and had an argument with people saying what China is doing to the Uighurs is okay because they're "not literal death camps". I was also called a reactionary for saying genocide is bad, which was pretty lol.

However, the number of people calling them loving idiots far outnumbered the apologists, so that was pretty good to see.

I got dumped on in the freakin Epic Games thread becase I suggested using secretive mass surveillance to assist genocide was worse than US immigration goons triangulating peoples' phones.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Strategic Tea posted:

I got dumped on in the freakin Epic Games thread becase I suggested using secretive mass surveillance to assist genocide was worse than US immigration goons triangulating peoples' phones.

stux, i'm guessing?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Fojar38 posted:

I need to read this. Hop to it Chinathread.

The machine translation captures the tone and spirit pretty well, but I'm getting rusty so I'm taking a crack at this.

a crazy person posted:

Die bitch, smelly 逼. Just like a prostitute, want that big australian dick to shoot in you so much you slander your own country? You want to stay in australia playing the refugee so much you make up stories? Is your family so poor you can't even afford a mirror? Have you ever taken a picture of your pig-like face? I wish your whole family dies, die soon and be reborn soon. Your stupid pig meat head should be sent to africa to use big dicks to gently caress your 逼 mouth. Looks like your mouth as big as a 逼 can insert two big black dicks at once, poke your throat and make you happy.

a crazy person posted:

Your child is born without an rear end in a top hat, crippled legs, even if it lives it's still disabled, won't live to 18. Even though your 逼 is like a basket, it's still moldy and has sores like cheap goods, whoever marries you will also have 800 lifetimes of moldy blood.

a crazy person posted:

gently caress your mother with garlic and onion (?), do you think drinking nine years of white sperm makes you white? You slandering china again can't change that you're chinese, you believe slandering your own country for clickbait to curry favor with whites will raise your status with everyone, stupid 逼. Xinjiang has you smelly 逼 selling bullshit.

a crazy person posted:

It's not 网友 attacking you, you've violated everyone's bottom line, there's no line you won't cross to slander your own country. 网友 speak the truth, you actually do appear smelly. So smelly but you still act like a pretentious 逼 to attract eyeballs is your own mistake.

Translator note: assume it's all peppered with "your mother" which I mostly didn't bother to translate, also I left 逼 intact but it's the australian word. 网友 is wang3you3 (say "waang yo") and literally means "internet friend," it usually gets translated as netizen which I loving hate so I left it too. There's a lot of vocab in here I never encountered before so critique welcome, if you can stomach it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Dude looks like megamind, is that a distorted image or what

No, Jack Ma is just not a very attractive man

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

hypnophant posted:

also I left 逼 intact but it's the australian word

Oh just say ま◯こ like the rest of us

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
800 lifetimes of moldy blood is a pro-tier curse/username

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Coolguye posted:

No, Jack Ma is just not a very attractive man

Tbh I wouldn’t date him for his looks,
or personality

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
q: why is jack ma's wife unsatisfied?

a: because he 马上来

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

McGavin posted:

When I was in Carrefour in Fuzhou about a year ago, I saw a special edition of Darlie toothpaste with the logo guy blinged out like loving Lil Jon, with a big rear end gold chain and everything. I'll try to find it next time I go shopping.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

hypnophant posted:

The machine translation captures the tone and spirit pretty well, but I'm getting rusty so I'm taking a crack at this.

Translator note: assume it's all peppered with "your mother" which I mostly didn't bother to translate, also I left 逼 intact but it's the australian word. 网友 is wang3you3 (say "waang yo") and literally means "internet friend," it usually gets translated as netizen which I loving hate so I left it too. There's a lot of vocab in here I never encountered before so critique welcome, if you can stomach it.

That first dude is thinking a lot about non-Chinese dicks loving a Chinese woman.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jeza posted:

800 lifetimes of moldy blood is a pro-tier curse/username

Def in my list of stuff to redtext people with inexplicably out of nowhere.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

a crazy person posted:

Your child is born without an rear end in a top hat, crippled legs, even if it lives it's still disabled, won't live to 18.
Getting some strong 80's Metallica vibes from this line.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Happy Chinese New Year! I bring this thread the gift of the 5 Piece Suit!

Poor Oohhboy got himself banned before he could explain this abomination to us all, but I had told him I would be posting it today before he got banned and he was OK with it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mikerock posted:

Poor Oohhboy got himself banned before he could explain this abomination to us all, but I had told him I would be posting it today before he got banned and he was OK with it.

What’s wrong with it?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MarcusSA posted:

What’s wrong with it?

it has 5 pieces

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Oh BABY

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

What are the 5 pieces? Coz I only see a jacket, pants and a yellow thing I am assuming is a tie. That leaves 2 pieces.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

mikerock posted:

My email is my username at gmail. If he wants to come back I’d be happy to reverse everything if he makes it clear what he posted wasn’t ok I like the guy but that’s something I have to be a hard rear end about. People can make mistakes it’s ok, also if anyone threeadbanned wants to do the same please do.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

What are the 5 pieces? Coz I only see a jacket, pants and a yellow thing I am assuming is a tie. That leaves 2 pieces.

That's the core of the conundrum.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Well there's the two knives hidden in the inner pocket, so bam, 5 piece suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

mikerock posted:

That's the core of the conundrum.
I'm guessing two separate ball sacks held together with a four in hand over your hog.