Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

If you wanna get really esoteric, in X-Men #1 he's the only one not excited about there finally being a girl in their previously all boys school.

Of course it's also a school that previously had only 4 students.

I believe that's more a product of either the simplistic "Eww girls are gross" mindset they probably thought the target audience of the book had or a backwards "Ugh a dame? Really?" mindset prevalent in those times. Maybe a bit of both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm sure there's plenty of things you can read in to if you want, but unlike some other characters in X-Books, I don't think any writers intended for Iceman to be queer in any way.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

X-O posted:

I believe that's more a product of either the simplistic "Eww girls are gross" mindset they probably thought the target audience of the book had or a backwards "Ugh a dame? Really?" mindset prevalent in those times. Maybe a bit of both.

It is this yes.

Endless Mike posted:

I'm sure there's plenty of things you can read in to if you want, but unlike some other characters in X-Books, I don't think any writers intended for Iceman to be queer in any way.

Look at people wanting the Human Torch to be gay because he yells flame on to light on fire.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Bobby being gay was a huge fan thing in the aughts, the sort of thing that you'd see on scans_daily although as if with many interesting and enduring things from s_d it was in some ways an exercise in creative reading as much as anything else. I presume that most writers from at least Stan Lee through Louis Simonson with the slim possible exception of DeMatteis and Gillis were writing Iceman as a straight guy without giving it too much thought, but the theory was circulating for at least a few years before Bendis had him come out and it did have a fair bit of fan traction.

I think Marjorie Liu is the first writer to say she was explicitly writing him as a closeted gay man although iirc that may have been a bit of backtracking on her part. Post-Lobdell-- who had a little road-trip subplot between Iceman and Rogue that often seemed like it was setting up some kind of big disclosure on Bobby's part-- a lot of writers flirted with the idea while hewing to a degree of plausible deniability. Chuck Austen has him go out on a date unwittingly with Northstar, PAD has him briefly flirt with Shatterstar, etc..

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 12, 2021

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh for sure, Bobby being gay absolutely has roots in both the books and in fan theory circles way before Bendis actually did it. I just can't see how anyone would think it goes back to that first issue of X-Men. I mean you can reframe that with hindsight but it was definitely not even in the realm of being subtext at that time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I think the idea in X-Men #1 is he's the baby of the group, and because writers in general are a bit fuzzy on age vs behaviour for kids, him being a younger teen equated to still thinking girls have cooties, while Scott, Warren and Hank are 'old enough' to be interested in romance/sex.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
To me, Bobby's eugh-reaction in the first issue always read as meant as a younger-boy "ew girls in the clubhouse" response to contrast with the other three, even though he wasn't that young at the time.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Well, I hunted down the page Jay was talking about and it's Bobby with Jean going "I wanna talk to you about ... well ... you know?" and then later in the book they are talking about him being worried about still being mind controlled by Emma Frost.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Random Stranger posted:

Amazing Fantasy 15 definitely wasn't intended to be the last issue, despite Stan Lee's later stories of fitting Spider-Man in because the book was doomed. AF switched to an all Ditko book (and was promoted as such!) with issue 10, so when Ditko was eventually tapped to draw Spider-Man it was only natural for the character to debut there. Issue 15 has an editorial page on it asking readers for what they want to see in future issues; almost definitely a prompt for them to go, "Parker Ditko! Bring us pictures of Spider-Man!". The first two issues of Amazing Spider-Man feature two stories rather than a single issue story like Fantastic Four and Hulk had. I'm pretty confident that those stories were drawn for Amazing Fantasy and moved to their own comic.

Question for you. Don Blake found an old cane in a cave in Norway and gained the power to shazam himself into Thor. Thor is his alter ego, not a separate being. Don Blake turns himself into Thor to fight crime/alien invasions, and then turns back. Two issues later, Loki and the Asgardians exist, are gods, and Loki and Thor know each other and have for centuries. So how does that work?

I just want to make your head hurt and your eyes go cross every time you read Thor. :v:

Thankfully I'm already well aware of how that all works out down the road, or at least the Cliff Notes version

Besides I'm soon going to be reaching the Human Torch solo stories, that's where the real pain is at

Skwirl posted:

If you wanna get really esoteric, in X-Men #1 he's the only one not excited about there finally being a girl in their previously all boys school.

Of course it's also a school that previously had only 4 students.

Well he's also the youngest so it's possible he just hadn't really hit that point yet

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

I think at the time it was to help indicate Bobby was the youngest of the group, so yeah "Eww, girls are gross" but it reads slightly different now.

I gotta say, when it happened I thought Bendis outed Bobby in a very bad way, but now that better writers have dealt with it it's a pretty cool bit of character development

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think people didn't like how it was framed as Jean outing him 'for his own good' instead of what I think Bendis might have been aiming for, her being a confidante.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/KrakoaWelcomes/status/1360308692554567682?s=20

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaz-L posted:

I think people didn't like how it was framed as Jean outing him 'for his own good' instead of what I think Bendis might have been aiming for, her being a confidante.

There's definitely some people who still view it as bi erasure for retconning all those relationships he had with women as him forcing himself to be straight. Which is fair enough, most big two comic book characters who are bisexual still fall into the unfortunate stereotype of being hedonists who will sleep with anything because they're so horny, rather than just normal people who happen to love across the spectrum.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

There's definitely some people who still view it as bi erasure for retconning all those relationships he had with women as him forcing himself to be straight. Which is fair enough, most big two comic book characters who are bisexual still fall into the unfortunate stereotype of being hedonists who will sleep with anything because they're so horny, rather than just normal people who happen to love across the spectrum.

I think the bi erasure is a fair complaint, but there's a poo poo ton of openly bi characters in X-Men now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Male-identifying? Like, there's Shatterstar and Daken, but the latter definitely falls into the 'amoral hedonist that sleeps with anyone' territory. Most of the others that jump to mind are women.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Male-identifying? Like, there's Shatterstar and Daken, but the latter definitely falls into the 'amoral hedonist that sleeps with anyone' territory. Most of the others that jump to mind are women.

Prodigy, Rictor, he's not open but almost certainly Logan, Shinobi Shaw, Quintin Quire.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Prodigy, Rictor.

Prodigy is fair, I just associate him more with the Young Avengers now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Prodigy is fair, I just associate him more with the Young Avengers now.

He's in X-Factor.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

I think the bi erasure is a fair complaint, but there's a poo poo ton of openly bi characters in X-Men now.

If that's where Marvel's hiding them that explains why I haven't heard.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't know how to feel about the bi erasure argument because the other side of that is ignoring the experience of the many gay people who really do date the opposite gender before coming out. That doesn't make them less gay

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

If that's where Marvel's hiding them that explains why I haven't heard.

I just posted a big list.

Most of the New Mutants are bi or LGTB+ even if they won't admit it.

X-Men has historically been the queerest big two comic.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean, even just from the major X-Men, you've got Kate Pryde and Storm. And Rachel Summers probably counts in that list too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, even just from the major X-Men, you've got Kate Pryde and Storm. And Rachel Summers probably counts in that list too.

I always read Storm as straight, just because I think there should be examples of powerful same sex friendships between heterosexuals without any sexual aspect.

You can just be friends with people, like Storm and Jean Grey. Or have a complicated history with someone that ends up being mutual respect and not want to gently caress them, like Storm and Callisto.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't it Yukio that's usually held up as the example of Storm being bi?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't it Yukio that's usually held up as the example of Storm being bi?

I haven't read that arc in a long time, were there tender moments or just Storm being protective of someone vulnerable? Like Kate Pryde very obviously had a huge crush on Storm in the Claremont era, but Storm always acted as a custodian and teacher towards her.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

I always read Storm as straight, just because I think there should be examples of powerful same sex friendships between heterosexuals without any sexual aspect.

You can just be friends with people, like Storm and Jean Grey. Or have a complicated history with someone that ends up being mutual respect and not want to gently caress them, like Storm and Callisto.

Friends that take baths with each other? Did you forget the arena?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I haven't read that arc in a long time, were there tender moments or just Storm being protective of someone vulnerable?

No, it's really hard to not read it as sexual. And a big thing is that arc is Yukio getting Storm to open up to her true self.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

No, it's really hard to not read it as sexual. And a big thing is that arc is Yukio getting Storm to open up to her true self.

Mea Culpa then, was that right before she first did the mohawk?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Mea Culpa then, was that right before she first did the mohawk?

She got the mohawk in that storyline.

Storm showed up for Wolverine's wedding to a conservative Japanese woman wearing an outdated punk rocker outfit and a fresh mohawk. I get the need for a change, Ororo, but read the situation.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think it's easy to assume people, esepcially queer and femme identifying people, saw the mohawk look and went "step on me with those Docs, queen", but Claremont definitely had a thing for writing WLW stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I guess when I think about Storm and her relationships with other women the three that come mind most readily are her and Kate Pryde, which is a mentorship thing, Jean Grey, two peers who respect each other deeply, and Callisto, which is a frenemy/respect thing, Callisto acknowledges that Storm beat her in that sewer and Storm acknowledges that no one else has ever come as close to beating her.

I do like that Callisto went through the crucible and resurrection to get her mutant powers and still has an eye patch. Did she tell the five before the crucible she wanted to still be missing an eye or is she wearing a patch over a perfectly working eye?

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 13, 2021

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Skwirl posted:

I guess when I think about Storm and her relationships with other women the three that come mind most readily are her and Kate Pryde, which is a mentorship thing, Jean Grey, two peers who respect each other deeply, and Callisto, which is a frenemy/respect thing, Callisto acknowledges that Storm beat her in that sewer and Storm acknowledges that no one else has ever come as close to beating her.

I do like that Callisto went through the crucible and resurrection to get her mutant powers and still has an eye patch. Did she tell the five before the crucible she wanted to still be missing an eye or is she wearing a patch over a perfectly working eye?

It's a pretty long-distance shot so it might just be a slip-up but I believe in the first panel post-Crucible in the most recent Marauders you see her standing on the beach without an eyepatch. Of course she has one on in a close-up on the very same page so who knows.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Speaking of Iceman, is he still struggling with realizing his potential?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

Once again there was the time in which the two were in a bath tub and Callisto had tentacles and they were all over storm

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Once again there was the time in which the two were in a bath tub and Callisto had tentacles and they were all over storm

That's totally normal heterosexual companionship.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
storm irl

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

storm irl

Who are the other people in the drawing? Like it could be Calisto on the right (though I kinda thinks she would have a bunch of sacrs) but no idea on who the dude would be, She don't truck with white boys generally.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 13, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
forge and yukio

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

forge and yukio

Forge ain't white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
hey i didnt color it