Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My mate's missus has a Gladius, she took the side pods off because they're ugly and the visual difference is huge, it turns into a decent looking bike. Add a round headlight and you've successfully removed the Gladius from your sv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Honestly it’s probably the cheapest way to get into a fuel injected SV650

Bike prices are kind of broken right now, and so is our market, but a quick look shows gladius's well above "cheap bike" territory. It was hard to find one under 4k.

A tale of two FI SV650 of the same vintage (can't believe they sold them side by side). I dunno about you, but I know which one I'd buy.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Im gonna say it: squared frame SV650 looks better than round frame SV650.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Real SV's have curves!

(just kidding. The pointy SV looks quite good, and woof that bottom fairing <3 and i kinda want a late model of those with ABS to replace my curvy 1999 model without, but i can't justify the cost...)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Didn't realise this was a contentious opinion; the old rounded ones look like arse.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

It’s that “hard to swallow pills” meme except the bottle says “easy to swallow pills”

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I didn't end up going to see the CT110 I was going to see yesterday because the guy got back to me with a photo of the VIN and it wasn't a VIN from one of these.

But anyway, I went to check out a different one and bought it for a grand (roadworthy/registered ones currently going for 2.5-3 here). It's got a stupid pod filter kit on it and the rear rack's off, but all the stock parts were in a box, so yeah, gonna put those back on.

Dude said it had stuffed blinkers, no brake lights, a stuck throttle, and wouldn't idle.

Today I plugged the blinker earths in, un-stuck the throttle (tube and switch block full of some kind of insect casings), reset the fuel screw and idle speed, and started to figure out what I need to do to get the stock air stuff back together. I think I'm gonna put the original carb back on, too, the one that's on there looks the same but I dunno what he's done to it or why.

Anyway I took it for a short hoon around my block and holy poo poo it's a fun little bike. Not in the best condition, but I wanted a project and this is gonna be a fun one. Pics tomorrow I guess, it got dark while I was loving around trying to figure out the brake light problem.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 13, 2021

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Well holy gently caress I asked for something punishing but this is absolutely next level.

Pulled his punch, could have been a KLR650.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was going for “funny cruel”, not “actually cruel”

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

un-stuck the throttle (tube and switch block full of some kind of insect casings)

Ah, the Admiral Grace Hopper sense of the word "debugging"

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The PO's entire "the brake light doesn't work, I don't know why, it's a wiring fault" thing turns out to just be a blown filament. Tail light filament's fine, brake light's broken. loving. So his electrical gremlins he couldn't cope with were "a dirty ground and blown bulb". Ordered a bulb, and now I'm definitely gonna undo all his other work and try to get it to stock.

Got the stupid pod off and the original airbox back on and now it's running super rich and dying with throttle, which I dunno, is probably just the jetting (from the parts I've seen so far I think I even know which "no tuning required" kit he bought). But since I've got the entire original carb which I've already pulled apart and cleaned, so I'm gonna just swap that back on.

I don't know how you people who do this for a job don't end up strangling your customers.

Phy posted:

Ah, the Admiral Grace Hopper sense of the word "debugging"

Right? My dad would have laughed so hard at it.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 14, 2021

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Hey Slavvy
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1078760/Motorcycle_Mechanic_Simulator_2021/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

I don't know how you people who do this for a job don't end up strangling your customers.

Posting on dead gay forums + sometimes they're so dumb you end up with a cheap bike.

You first :barf:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Also:

Way of life!

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Would that the crew of Motorcycle Mechanic Simulator had hired Slavvy on as a content consultant, though. Get the real experience, not the History Channel Special wishlist.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Revvik posted:

Would that the crew of Motorcycle Mechanic Simulator had hired Slavvy on as a content consultant, though. Get the real experience, not the History Channel Special wishlist.

I bet I know which one sells more games on Steam though

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

FBS posted:

I bet I know which one sells more games on Steam though

add gta elements for dealing with the customers

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

It's amazing just how much more bullshit you can put up with when you're getting paid for it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Motorcycle mechanic but using the engine from My Summer Car would be much more realistic. That had a button just to give the finger and swear.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Just click those bolts they come right out you're a motorcycle mechanic now!

I would happily throw in :5bux: for both you and Slaavy to try this game and review it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Problem is that's not a Motorcycle Mechanic Simulator, the title is false, it's an OCC simulator. I don't think Slavvy or I have experience OCCing. The verb "to OCC" describes the act of expressing poor aesthetic taste in the choice of parts ordered from a catalog

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is a 'what my consumerism-addled brain thinks OCC do' stimulator. They could've at least gotten someone who works in a parts department to show them how everything physically fits together, as it stands I'm certain nobody involved has ever seen a bike in person.

A real motorcycle mechanic simulator would be an rpg/logistics game mashup, with the occasional minigame where you get to fix a bike.

And sadly I do have some experience OCCing, it was a shameful time but I needed the money and I'd probably do it all again.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Every time you click to undo a bolt the game rolls a die to decide if the PO put red loctite on it.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
*clicks to remove bolt*
Pop up: “PO replaced the metric bolt with an imperial from the hardware store”
*opens Diablo-style inventory to check for imperial tool*

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

How much torque do you want to apply? Hit the center!
*Gadget oscillates with variable speed depending on how inebriated you are*
"Nailed the center! With my +2 in wrist control and the 3/4ths ratchet this will do 133 unscrew damage"
You did 3 unscrew damage!
*Checks entity status screen, bolt has little crossthreaded icon next to it that wasn't there before*

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Renaissance Robot posted:

Every time you click to undo a bolt the game rolls a die to decide if the PO put red loctite on it.

It’s a 20 sided die and 19 of the sides are loctite

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"Dead Bulbs and the Dirty Ground" is my fave White Stripes tune.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In this week's edition of don't buy a ktm, we call super duke 990 to the stand. The defendant is accused of an exhaust leak/rattle; the plaintiff claims unacceptable failure at 50kkm.

Yer honor, the front header is kinda loose but the bolts are tight??

Exhibit a

Exhibit b

I rest my case.

This is a good example of what I mean when I say ktm is packed with clever engineers who know how to build all kinds of stuff but don't actually know what they're doing wrt bikes. It's a titanium exhaust, ooh aah super light and fancy. But titanium is also really really bad at dealing with oscillation and flex and stuff, it work hardens (when a thing becomes brittle because it flexed too far/often) much quicker than steel. Titanium exhausts aren't that uncommon on flash bikes, but for that reason they usually take the form of a solid cast hunk of i4 header, or short sections of pipe linked together with slip joints.

KTM decided to make it one big piece that snakes all the way from the front port, down under the engine and back up to the swingarm pivot area, where it y-joins into the (much smaller) rear header and mufflers. It's pretty much a copy of the old (steel) air cooled Ducati layout, but in titanium. This means that little welded collar has to deal with the flex and vibration created by two feet of pipe flapping about, with the only rigid connection to the engine being the collar itself. Then, when the metal around the weld work hardens, a crack appears and quickly zips all the way around instead of slowly tearing over time like a steel pipe would. Now, an engineer who can weld ti has to be located.

Ready to race.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I think that's pretty good for 31k miles of thrashing on a vibey big twin.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

I think that's pretty good for 31k miles of thrashing on a vibey big twin.

I can't tell if you're joking or your expectations are depressingly low.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think if they made the collar out of steel it would last 310,000 miles and be only about 50 grams heavier.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

I can't tell if you're joking or your expectations are depressingly low.

It's a go fast go light racing part on an exotic motorcycle. I mean even "ready to race" that would be great and you'd get a replacement from the KTM parts truck if needed. Steel would last longer but that would be a few grams heavier and they couldn't display their historically light numbers on the spec sheet.

Plus titanium headers are bling and KTM owners love that.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Are they actual KTM headers though, or just sold by KTM (Akra PowerParts) or completely aftermarket?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
The ones on my 950 are stainless.
I cracked the rear one around 10,000mi ago at 65k or so on a hot summer ride with BASM. Tigged it back together and its been fine since.

Any consolation? FMF header on a dr650/790 melted the aluminum flange after I sold it.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

I think if they made the collar out of steel it would last 310,000 miles and be only about 50 grams heavier.

How the gently caress are you gonna be on the podium with a exhaust header that weighs 50 grams more than the other dude in an aerostitch?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

High Protein posted:

Are they actual KTM headers though, or just sold by KTM (Akra PowerParts) or completely aftermarket?

100% factory.

cursedshitbox posted:

The ones on my 950 are stainless.
I cracked the rear one around 10,000mi ago at 65k or so on a hot summer ride with BASM. Tigged it back together and its been fine since.

Any consolation? FMF header on a dr650/790 melted the aluminum flange after I sold it.

Sounds like a bad tune more than anything.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

100% factory.

Sounds like a bad tune more than anything.

100% ready to buy more aftermarket parts.

yeah, screams lean. Ran fine when I hosed that piece of poo poo off into the sunset. Who knows what the harley mechanic that bought it did. Ran fine with the TM40/790 kit on it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I am tempted to buy an RC390 or RC490 if/when it comes out but I think the sensible thing to do is just get a Ninja 400.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy's excellent example just now of lovely KTM-ness, and prior dumping on KTMs, has completely soured me on KTMs.

gently caress that poo poo.

I'd wanted a Duke 390 as a 2nd bike, but I am quite glad I binned that idea.

Slavvy, keep it up and keep posting more horror stories as you come across them.

Also, anecdotally, the only person I know with a KTM, his 690 Duke has been broken for longer than it has been in riding condition. Possibly by about 3x longer in the broken state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I have a ktm 450 exc-f. It’s really good. Well, that’s my story. Cheers!