Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
LOCK HER UP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
"Eh, this could happen to a lot of people..."
- An Actual Lawyer on the subject of being impeached by the Senate

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
vilerat lives... in his own way :unsmith:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

nine-gear crow posted:

"Eh, this could happen to a lot of people..."
- An Actual Lawyer on the subject of being impeached by the Senate

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
He's just telling them all the reasons they can feel good about not convicting.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Slippery slope!

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/CharlieDaniels/status/1279760077902274562?s=20

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I really wish House members and Senators could just cuss and be outwardly sarcastic to one another during Q&A.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Jiro posted:

I really wish House members and Senators could just cuss and be outwardly sarcastic to one another during Q&A.

They're doing their best, though!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lawyer telling the jury that they can ignore the judge's instructions. He really is shooting to be disbarred after this.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Kirios posted:

Michael van der Veen just seems like the biggest rear end in a top hat in a room full of them. Are most lawyers like this?

Not really because in a regular trial, if nothing else, you have to respect the judge and their time. And a judge who dislikes you has infinite ways to make your life very very difficult.

Chuck Bartowski
Apr 14, 2006

Working on my five-year plan, just need to choose a font.

A Washington Post photographer captured a written statement from Bill Cassidy while he held it in his hand (bolded mine).

From The Washington Post

quote:

A Republican senator who expressed doubts about former president Donald Trump’s impeachment defense team and suggested he might ultimately vote to convict him was seen in the Capitol on Friday holding the draft of a statement indicating he planned to acquit Trump.

Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.) told reporters Tuesday that “one side is doing a great job and the other side is doing a terrible job,” just moments after breaking with most Republicans to confirm the constitutionality of trying an ex-president on impeachment charges — buoying hopes of House managers that at least some GOP votes could be shifted.

On Friday, however, Cassidy held a document in public view that appeared to indicate he may have made up his mind.

“The events of January 6 are a stain on our country. President Trump and many others certainly contributed to the environment. The former president did engage in excessive and unnecessary rhetoric before and after the election,” the draft statement said in part. “However, the House Managers did not connect the dots to show President Trump knew that the attack on the Capitol was going to be violent and result in the loss of life.”

Chuck Bartowski fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 13, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chuck Bartowski posted:

A Washington Post photographer captured a written statement from Bill Cassidy while he held it in his hand (bolded mine).

I posted this 3 pages ago but thread moves fast

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Cassidys office say he has not made a decision yet and a lot of reporting has said he has been pacing around the cloak room a lot looking pretty conflicted. The defense also insulted him a few questions ago which probably didn't help them much.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Oh good a Cornyn question. How stupid will it be?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Chuck Bartowski posted:

From The Washington Post

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Southern_Chivalry.jpg

Chuck Bartowski
Apr 14, 2006

Working on my five-year plan, just need to choose a font.

Zaphod42 posted:

I posted this 3 pages ago but thread moves fast

I imagine that will come up a few more times as people begin to realize that this isn't actually going to go anywhere.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jiro posted:

Oh good a Cornyn question. How stupid will it be?

It was... surprisingly good and smart.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I imagine that will come up a few more times as people begin to realize that this isn't actually going to go anywhere.

That's been obvious from the start. No one needs to realize it.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

It was... surprisingly good and smart.

I'm a Texan, and Cornyn throws you through a loop because he at least tries to come across as a reasonable Republican. And when he's next to Cruz, it's pretty easy.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I'm a Texan, and Cornyn throws you through a loop because he at least tries to come across as a reasonable Republican. And when he's next to Cruz, it's pretty easy.

Yeah. Cornyn is a broken clock but he can still be occasionally right. Cruz, by comparison, is a sundial someone threw into a cloud of bees twisted into a mass of mud and swamp.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Questions done.

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1360369195154890754

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Well, at least something was accomplished today.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Yeah. Cornyn is a broken clock but he can still be occasionally right. Cruz, by comparison, is a sundial someone threw into a cloud of bees twisted into a mass of mud and swamp.

Even Boehner described Cruz as the worst son of a bitch he'd ever worked with.

Grandpa Munster needs to get run out of politics.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Officer Goodmen nominated for Congressional Medal!

Chuds that say nay:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

They should give all the cops and guards who didn't help the protesters in one, or at least something similar.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
So, when does the vote for witnesses happen? Is that tomorrow?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Even Boehner described Cruz as the worst son of a bitch he'd ever worked with.

Grandpa Munster needs to get run out of politics.

again he should be expelled but that isn't happening sadly. Maybe if Beto runs against him in 2024...but I'm not holding my breath.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

generic one posted:

So, when does the vote for witnesses happen? Is that tomorrow?

Probably.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1360373326988906501

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1360372831868121091

Yeah. The potential witness vote happens tomorrow.

javi
Jun 5, 2004

Silly yes ... Idiotic ... yes.!
https://twitter.com/abbydphillip/status/1360374943427530757
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/12/politics/trump-mccarthy-shouting-match-details/index.html

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

holy poo poo, they waited until right now to leak this for maximum effect

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

eke out posted:

holy poo poo, they waited until right now to leak this for maximum effect

Yeah, what is the plan? Call McCarthy as a witness tomorrow?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

alpha_destroy posted:

Yeah, what is the plan? Call McCarthy as a witness tomorrow?

i mean this was republicans that hate trump leaking this story, i'm not sure if they're pushing for witnesses but this is what i'd do if i wanted to help push for witnesses to be called

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Honestly I don’t see how they don’t call witnesses now. They are back into a corner.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Djarum posted:

Honestly I don’t see how they don’t call witnesses now. They are back into a corner.

Trump’s attorneys were basically egging them on about not having any witnesses. If that doesn’t make them wanna call some god drat witnesses, I don’t know what would.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
It's not going to change anything because it's evidence and what's going on in the Senate has nothing whatsoever to do with evidence.

I mean in a rational world yeah it would make a difference but I mean seriously which republicans do you think are going to hear that and then change their vote? As opposed to the republicans whose brains immediately seize up and cause them to start making noises about how you're just taking Trump's comments out of context, they're protected by the First Amendment, it's just locker room talk, he was only joking, it can't have anything to do with the insurrection because those guys were going to riot no matter what he said, &c, &c, &c.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
McCarthy would not cooperate as a witness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

SubG posted:

It's not going to change anything because it's evidence and what's going on in the Senate has nothing whatsoever to do with evidence.

I mean in a rational world yeah it would make a difference but I mean seriously which republicans do you think are going to hear that and then change their vote? As opposed to the republicans whose brains immediately seize up and cause them to start making noises about how you're just taking Trump's comments out of context, they're protected by the First Amendment, it's just locker room talk, he was only joking, it can't have anything to do with the insurrection because those guys were going to riot no matter what he said, &c, &c, &c.

no one said it was going to magically change votes to acquit, people are saying it could affect the democrats' calculations about calling witnesses, which they absolutely can do if they choose to