Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I do have a few QOL things I hope the devs implement:

Expand inventory slots and carry weight (this could already be in the game, but if it is, they should let us have it earlier)

Make metal costs slightly cheaper

Let us share map markers with other players on the server

Let us tag things that we no longer wish to autoloot, getting bogged down with stone and resin and greydwarf eyes constantly gets irritating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Also please implement the "Store into nearby chests" function from Terraria

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Wheeee posted:

Does this look like it's got legs, or is it another meme game that'll die out and be forgotten soon?

Like I'm sure like every game in its vein it will decline a little after the initial hype but the base core of it feels really good. It's fairly polished and nowhere near as buggy as I'd expect from the usual red flags of "company's debut open world game." Progression takes a good deal of time and it's not something you can rush really. Like everyone here seems to be talking about doing stuff in the swamp when in progression/difficulty terms it's just the 3rd of 5 currently populated biomes, out of a planned 8 I think? (Excluding the ocean).

My plan right now really is to play it off and on this month until MHRise comes out, which will suck away all my free time probably for a few months and then see how their whole roadmap thing is actually progressing.

First week sales have been insanely good so at the very least they should have the resources to work with.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
I am working to find friends to play this with (I have some computer friends but haven't played this kind of game with them.

I am loving it on solo but playing multi seems like it would be a joy.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Broken Cog posted:

A friend of mine who's much further in than me said that there's a merchant you can find at some point that sell you inventory upgrades. Haven't seen anything of him myself though, so for all I know he might have been joking.

There was a seed posted upthread along the lines of "42069xdlol" that has that near/south of spawn.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

KirbyKhan posted:

There was a seed posted upthread along the lines of "42069xdlol" that has that near/south of spawn.

Oh yeah if anyone is gonna use that, Google the map first because it's not due south a d going due south got me eaten by wolves lol

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Dandywalken posted:

Too early to tell. My dumbfuck friends are acting like it having a roadmap and the fact it sold a ton of copies means its going to have incredible support lol

Imo you need more item slots ingame. Weight is already there, having to constantly drop small poo poo to pick stuff up is annoying.

Apparently, they have been working on the game for only two years and the first year was just one guy making it alone. So, the fact that they made it so far and with so much content gives me a lot of hope that they might just pull it off.

Pigbottom fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 13, 2021

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Arrival at our base from sea.

Backside of our longhouse.

Facing our longhouse from near one of our gates.

Backside before all the trees finished growing.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
So this evening I finished my journey to sail around my starting island.

The watchtower at the north is an abandoned stone tower that was on the southern tip of the bordering island. Built a workbench and fire anywhere I stopped for the (in-game) night to repair my tools.

Lost a day because it stormed the whole time and going anywhere on my boat wasn't happening.

At some points on the horizon the world tree branches in the skybox look like they drop down so low that I'm wondering if it will be possible to reach them.

I love the use of environmental colors in this game so much. It's so much prettier than I had expected after initially just seeing the character models and a couple rainy screenshots.

The 2nd boss spawn is to the south of me so I've confirmed it's not on my starting island. No sign of the merchant yet (and not desperate enough to time him yet to use one of the other seeds).

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 13, 2021

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I woke up a kraken today and it was one of the biggest oh poo poo moments I've ever had in a video game.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Stagbreaker may not be the best weapon but it is real satisfying mulching up skeletons with it in burial chambers.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

LegionAreI posted:

Here lies Brunhilde, crushed by trees she was chopping down probably ten times.

Man I just can't eyeball the fall direction at all!

I was gonna make fun of all you people getting killed by falling trees because it honestly seems crazy, but then I was out chopping wood and a loving massive Troll snuck up behind me and 1-shot me with a tree-trunk club. I didn't even know there were Trolls in the game, it was the 1st time I'd encountered one.

So yea, I will now concede that wood choppin is more dangerous than I thought :downs:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

So it seems pretty safe to say this was successful beyond anyone's wildest dreams, right? I wonder if that means it'll take more (put in more stuff) or less (they hire more people) time and/or really expand the scope of what they were planning.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Anno posted:

So it seems pretty safe to say this was successful beyond anyone's wildest dreams, right? I wonder if that means it'll take more (put in more stuff) or less (they hire more people) time and/or really expand the scope of what they were planning.

I'm super satisfied with wilderness constitutional simulator 2021. Punched a tree and made a lean-to. 10/10

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I genuinely feel like I've hit peak Vanheim by mastering deer spear hunting, cooking up a bunch of meat, then heading to another server like it was where the cookout was gonna be.

I am hitting a brick wall of progression because I go to every server making a lean-to next to streams and brooks. It makes such a big difference to have a workbench you can click on within sight of spawn.

Last one I put a sign up that just says "be nice"

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Join goons, if you dare!!!

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
So I kill the Elder, find one little patch of swamp with zero crypts, go sailing looking up and down the coastline(s) for more swamp...

...three hours later...

(Of course five minutes after grabbing the screencap I found it in the one direction I hadn't yet gone from where I started the journey.)

e: Or zero minutes later since you can see it behind the map

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Dandywalken posted:

Join goons, if you dare!!!

None of the goon groups I chill with have taken much interest in the game unfortunately.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
The friends who convinced me to play this insisted on building their village right next to a troll who regularly wanders in and destroys their houses. They refuse to move.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

How big are those hearths you can get later? 2x4? I've spent tonight prototyping a longhouse design and I'd like to future proof the central firepit a little. :v:

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Anyone else having issues with dedicated servers? I thought I set everything up properly but I keep getting "server not responding" from Steam, friends also having same issue

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I am playing mostly solo and finally got to the second boss, who was WAY far out.

I set up camp within spitting distance of the altar and did some exploring first. Got my first THE FOREST IS MOVING which wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

Finally started the boss fight and legit scared me. I wasn't prepared at all. The best weapon I had on me was a crude bow and wooden arrows. I suspect some fire arrows will do the trick next time.

Once a boss is spawned, do they ever heal or despawn? The item for this one was a pain to get.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
If i destroy a smelter / charcoal kiln will i get all my cores back? I want to move my smelter operation

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Buller posted:

If i destroy a smelter / charcoal kiln will i get all my cores back? I want to move my smelter operation

usually you do. sometimes people say you dont but it hasnt happened to me yet

Inzombiac posted:

Once a boss is spawned, do they ever heal or despawn?

some heal

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

idiotsavant posted:

Anyone else having issues with dedicated servers? I thought I set everything up properly but I keep getting "server not responding" from Steam, friends also having same issue

Yep the only way we can connect to ours is by putting +connect IP:port in the game's launch options.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Buller posted:

You *should*, I'd make sure its fully repaired before dismantling it though.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

idiotsavant posted:

This was happening to me and after some digging I found that you have to forward the port you set +1. So if you have 2456 set in your .bat file then you need to forward 2457. If you're trying to connect via the Steam server browser then you will also need to use the incremented port number. If you're connecting with +connect in a shortcut then using the port you set in the .bat file will work fine.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

idiotsavant posted:

I've only been able to connect to my dedicated server locally. I'm starting to suspect that our ISP has put our household on a shared IP, in which this poo poo ain't ever gonna work.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You *should*, I'd make sure its fully repaired before dismantling it though.

How do I repair?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Inzombiac posted:

Once a boss is spawned, do they ever heal or despawn? The item for this one was a pain to get.

We got our asses kicked by the third boss and left him alone for a couple of irl days while we got some frost arrows, he was still right where we left him.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Wheeee posted:

Does this look like it's got legs, or is it another meme game that'll die out and be forgotten soon?

I touch the Early Access stove pretty often and while I think the current mass popularity is probably something that's gonna fade, the game itself definitely has potential. What's there currently is worth the price of admission and is polished enough, but there's a lot of room for expansion and the dev(s) seem pretty on top of things, going back in dev update history.

For me it ticks a lot of boxes, just wish I had more people to play with :v.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Wheeee posted:

Hard to tell.
Bad things:
-the ai of monsters can be pretty dumb. Deers going to sea to drown or getting stuck to trees.
-dwarfs not knowing what to do on roof of buildings.
-snapping things together to build things is horrible
-maybe there is bit too much grind involved but thats bit hard to tell at moment.
Good things:
-atmosphere is excellent
-graphics are pretty
-there is tons of freedom in building things, and structural integrity system is neat
-sailing is fun.
-combat is fun, but simple.
-first boss was cool.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Dark Off posted:

Bad things:
-snapping things together to build things is horrible

What don’t you like about the snapping system? You can use Shift to turn it off.

So far building has been my absolute favorite thing about the game. The only thing I want right now is a fine rotation option

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Feb 13, 2021

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

snapping becomes horrible when you want to make tall things like this.

basically you have to jump spam the build thing.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Yeah it works fine 90% of the time but if you want to do something special it can get pretty infuriating. See also: Putting support pillars in water.

That being said I adore the actual support-based construction system and I spent like 4 hours building up my home longhouse

In retrospect it wouldve gone a lot faster with a cart and a bronze axe.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 13, 2021

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
In those cases I built platforms around the structure, can even do a whole walkway then tear it down in the end

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Jusupov posted:

In those cases I built platforms around the structure, can even do a whole walkway then tear it down in the end

This is exactly what I was going to say. It's so much easier to have barebones scaffolding around the structure. That said, I'm building my first bridge today, so we'll see.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I'm wondering how saves work regarding the backups it does ie. Savewhatever.old, do they update on logout/quit? Because I think mine are broke, I played this game some today but my Saves.old have modified times dated from the 10th, so they aren't being replace with newer backups, I'm just worried that if my game saves corrupt I won't have something to fall back on.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Im_Special posted:

I'm wondering how saves work regarding the backups it does ie. Savewhatever.old, do they update on logout/quit? Because I think mine are broke, I played this game some today but my Saves.old have modified times dated from the 10th, so they aren't being replace with newer backups, I'm just worried that if my game saves corrupt I won't have something to fall back on.

I saw this as well when I looked in the %appdata% folder. I have the same so I think that may have been from a one time upgrade or DB change with a patch. I’ve been taking daily backups of the full folder.

edit: The path default path is c:\users\%username%\AppData\LocalLow\IronGate if anyone else is interested.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
So uh

this haul was from ONE crypt...

(And of course not enough, but still.)