Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
https://www.inquirer.com/politics/pennsylvania/bruce-castor-trump-impeachment-trial-defense-opens-20210212.html

In case anyone was holding out hope for any more MODERATE REPUBLICANS to grow a spine:

"Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R., Alaska) praised the presentation during a break in the proceedings, saying 'they are putting on a good defense today.'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Wait, people still trust Republicans? What the gently caress is wrong with you?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Finally, Crooked Hillary may be brought to justice:

quote:

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) suggested that proceeding with the impeachment trial of a former official could lead, for instance, to the future impeachment of former secretary of state Hillary Clinton.

“Is it not true that under this new precedent, a future House facing partisan pressure to ‘lock her up’ could impeach a former secretary of state, and a future Senate forced to put her on trial and potentially disqualify from any future office?” Rubio asked the impeachment managers and Trump’s attorneys.

Gotta love how people who would have died at the hands of Trump’s mob had they caught them are going to vote to acquit the man who incited them. Feel like there’s a word for it that the alt-right really likes...

PATRIOT, of course! :fsmug:

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/pennsylvania/bruce-castor-trump-impeachment-trial-defense-opens-20210212.html

In case anyone was holding out hope for any more MODERATE REPUBLICANS to grow a spine:

"Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R., Alaska) praised the presentation during a break in the proceedings, saying 'they are putting on a good defense today.'"

I mean that was before her and Collins asked the defense team a question and they didnt bother to answer it in the slightest. So while there is no chance there will be enough to convict, I am going to bet there will be more than a few republicans voting for it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Police have the discretion to give elderly pacifists brain damage for breaking curfew. It's just our glorious system.
https://twitter.com/MikeBaggerman/status/1359984548512210950

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/themadstone/status/1358819397566087169

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Because being able to self repair has always been something that was looked for in an apple product.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yeah I’d actually go out of my way to buy a easily repairable phone if givin the option. I read about some euro phone that ifixit gave a 10 on and was fairly impressed but of course it’s not in American markets.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ded posted:

Because being able to self repair has always been something that was looked for in an apple product.

Well it hasn't been, but it should have been. It's easy for people to not worry about what happens if something breaks as they're buying it, so I like the idea of having to show off how repairable a product is at time of purchase if you're going past a certain economic threshold to better get an idea of the price of ownership.

More idealistically, I'd like to think that a culture which values repairability would, over time, grow to me a more technically savvy culture over time, and also value some of the ideals that may be necessary to survive climate change.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I'd imagine that it's not just self repair, but also the ability of independent businesses to do repairs. Apple's iPhones actually brushed up against this in a big way a few years ago; the (at the time, new) phone would intentionally disable TouchID if the screen was replaced.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
apple kind of built itself on being that special snowflake that you had to get a genius to fix so that you would want to buy applecare because you felt like you needed it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I looked up how to replace the battery on a 16” MacBook Pro and you might as well throw the thing in the trash instead

Half the poo poo is glued down and you have to disassemble nearly all of it

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Not saying I'm going to, but are there any places that have put odds on Trump being acquitted by not getting the votes with 51-50? Can't be more than +115.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Not saying I'm going to, but are there any places that have put odds on Trump being acquitted by not getting the votes with 51-50? Can't be more than +115.

bad bet imo, Romney already voted to convict once and has no reason not to do so again.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
There is no way he’s convinced

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Naramyth posted:

There is no way he’s convinced

Oh absolutely not, I just don't think the vote will be 51-50.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Fallom posted:

I looked up how to replace the battery on a 16” MacBook Pro and you might as well throw the thing in the trash instead

Half the poo poo is glued down and you have to disassemble nearly all of it

it is, but that being said my apple poo poo has lasted about a billion time longer than windows or android stuff for me. I still have a macbook pro from 2009 that gets use for silly poo poo, an imac from 2011 that I threw a ssd into and ive had the same phone forever now.

regardless im stoked about what france has done

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

it is, but that being said my apple poo poo has lasted about a billion time longer than windows or android stuff for me. I still have a macbook pro from 2009 that gets use for silly poo poo, an imac from 2011 that I threw a ssd into and ive had the same phone forever now.

regardless im stoked about what france has done

I had one of the early iPads and it was an impressive piece of hardware. What was more impressive though was the refusal to allow it to get further OS updates which locked out apps I used rendering the entire device useless. I was basically just using it to read PDFs of journal articles and comics and websurfing so it wasn't something that suffered performance-wise as it aged in any way.

Given the cost of that device and the fact that it was "broken" intentionally etc I haven't really bought any Apple products since.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Apple pitched to investors that the goal was to make them that way to push planned obsolescence and keep the Apple purchases going.

Right To Repair should be a National Law.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Oh absolutely not, I just don't think the vote will be 51-50.

You’re right! There aren’t 101 votes.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

You’re right! There aren’t 101 votes.

There are if the VP casts the tiebreaker :eng101:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
isnt it 67 senators to convict?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It isn’t tied at 50-50 because this is correct:

Hot Karl Marx posted:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There’s no tie breaker. They need 67 votes.

Efb horribly

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CommieGIR posted:

Apple pitched to investors that the goal was to make them that way to push planned obsolescence and keep the Apple purchases going.

Right To Repair should be a National Law.

Lol, remember how John Deere fought right to repair? We're never seeing right to repair here, there's an army of lobbyists to ensure it never happens.

Also gently caress apple. Yeah, you might get more lifespan from your apple product, but I'm not paying 2-3x the price in cult premiums when a $100 motorola or $300 Acer is available.

Iphones are a stepping stone to a Jitterbug anyhow.

This is your next step from an iphone.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 13, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

It isn’t tied at 50-50 because this is correct:

Technically it still is since the wording of the Constitution as to when the VP gets to vote is "Unless they be equally divided," so Kamala would get to cast a ballot at 50-50 regardless of whether or not it actually matters.

e: It's right there next to the clause that assigns the VP the role of protecting the space-time continuum, read your constitutions people!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Oh, just to correct my ignorance...VP wouldn't cast a vote because its not a tiebreaker?

And based upon my math there wouldn't be a need for the VP to cast a vote in a supermajority vote because there could never be a tie.

e: Thank you Ace as always.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I will say that upon review of this helpful article I don't think any Vice Presidents have cast a tiebreaking vote in a pointless situation since it is, well, pointless, so I'd avoid betting on a 51-50 result regardless :v:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

quote:

Also gently caress apple. Yeah, you might get more lifespan from your apple product, but I'm not paying 2-3x the price in cult premiums when a $100 motorola or $300 Acer is available.

A $100 phone is not the same as any flagship phone, whether it be Apple or Android. If the cheap rear end phone meets your needs, go for it but there are significant differences, i.e. camera, performance, FaceID (are there any Android phones that have a similarly secure facial recognition system yet?), etc.

But beyond hardware the reason why I stick with Apple is the integrated ecosystem in which my laptop/phone/tablet all fully integrate without thinking about it, coupled with their clear corporate commitment to user privacy & data security.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I enjoy my overpriced MacBook and if it broke I would probably save for another MacBook.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Yup, but with McConnell saying acquittal, I'd be surprised if its 52-48.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Flying_Crab posted:

A $100 phone is not the same as any flagship phone, whether it be Apple or Android. If the cheap rear end phone meets your needs, go for it but there are significant differences, i.e. camera, performance, FaceID (are there any Android phones that have a similarly secure facial recognition system yet?), etc.

But beyond hardware the reason why I stick with Apple is the integrated ecosystem in which my laptop/phone/tablet all fully integrate without thinking about it, coupled with their clear corporate commitment to user privacy & data security.

Oh it's no flagship, but can process plenty well for average person camera use or dicking around in spreadsheets. People think they need the newest samsung or apple to do their poo poo when realistically they could get by on something years old. It's similar to everyone wanting unlimited data and then using like, 2gb a month. People exaggerate their need to themselves and end up paying out the rear end for it.

I do get that you're buying integration with apple, and that's handy, but I don't see the value personally. I'm not shuffling documents or files to/from my computer on any regular basis, and a usb cable is always laying around anyhow. Paying several hundred if not a thousand bucks or more to avoid using a cable is not in my economical wheelhouse.

For what it's worth, most android interface stuff is garbage compared to apple, but again, not paying to avoid having to think a little harder or scratch my head for a bit.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
We're getting witnesses:

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1360606289819222027?s=20

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I got on the iphone train because I touch computers for a living and I want something that’s real simple.

I returned to the apple train after using a flagship Samsung for about a year because the apple keyboard understands my flailing at the screen better than the Samsung or google keyboards.

Also it feels like every default and design decision was made exactly backwards from apple stuff and that’s annoying.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Is that a stall so a vote doesn't happen today. Because that feels like a stall.

I feel the opposite about apple keyboards. Any time I used a macbook my typing would go out the loving window. I haven't tried an iphone keyboard, I'm just used to hitting backspace anyhow.

I will say the keyboard on my old google 3a was better than the one I'm using on this moto, but that's more response than key location.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 13, 2021

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
There was a Pretty Darn Big earthquake over in Japan. Not bad enough to cause a tsunami or collapse buildings, but a lot of people had stuff falling off their shelves. It probably won't even make the news outside the country, but there are some pretty funny videos coming off of twitter,

https://twitter.com/j1RNorOI4sezSR6/status/1360600035138834437

like this guy in his bath during the earthquake,

https://twitter.com/himei42/status/1360595666775379971

or this guy's anime figures falling off the shelves.

EDIT: It's also about a month away from the 10th anniversary of the big earthquake and tsunami that killed over 15,000 people, and the epicenter was in nearly the exact same location, which is pretty creepy.

Spoggerific fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 13, 2021

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Spoggerific posted:

There was a Pretty Darn Big earthquake over in Japan. Not bad enough to cause a tsunami or collapse buildings, but a lot of people had stuff falling off their shelves. It probably won't even make the news outside the country, but there are some pretty funny videos coming off of twitter,

https://twitter.com/j1RNorOI4sezSR6/status/1360600035138834437

like this guy in his bath during the earthquake,

https://twitter.com/himei42/status/1360595666775379971

or this guy's anime figures falling off the shelves.

EDIT: It's also about a month away from the 10th anniversary of the big earthquake and tsunami that killed over 15,000 people, and the epicenter was in nearly the exact same location, which is pretty creepy.

This reminds me I need to make sure my bookcase is strapped to the wall with earthquake straps. I don't have any anime figures but I do have... well, other action figures. Shut up don't laugh at me.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ded posted:

apple kind of built itself on being that special snowflake that you had to get a genius to fix so that you would want to buy applecare because you felt like you needed it.

Well in that case specific case it’s because the secure element in the processor and the fingerprint reader must have the same private key. It’s so your fingerprints cannot be read out or your the fingerprint reader spoofed.

The problem with repairability is that soldered down and glued components are both cheaper and perform better. A soldered down module is more resistant to vibration, doesn’t have the added space and added cost of the connector, doesn’t have the signal degradation from conductor contacts and so on. As an example, DDR4’s base JEDEC specs were originally 2133MT/s, soldered down LPDDR4 started at 3200MT/s.

Unfortunately even if there’s a repairability score of 0 next to something people will probably buy the smaller, better performing, waterproof version of a product.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

As Nero Danced posted:

This reminds me I need to make sure my bookcase is strapped to the wall with earthquake straps. I don't have any anime figures but I do have... well, other action figures. Shut up don't laugh at me.

lol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's alright. I thought my friend here was past that stuff, then one day I noticed some funko pops in a corner on a bookcase. Then I saw more.

Turns out he has a tote full of them. At least his comics and old GI Joes are worth something. He doesn't buy funko pops anymore, but hasn't developed enough shame to put them away.