Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Poque posted:

Arrieta. I don't care, gently caress you

Sounds about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Shrecknet posted:

And what chaff guy doesn't dream of maybe having every third baseman in the org's arms all explode at once and his phone rings?

This is a fond memory of one of my OOTP seasons. Donaldson hurt his arm, Kawasaki broke his leg, Bautista got suspended for shoving an umpire, etc. etc. Congratulations, 17-year-old third baseman in single-A, you're a big leaguer for three days.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/ByRobertMurray/status/1360416024017960963

Rich Hill still going strong at 40 years old with a million blisters and a UCL held together by tape. Respect.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Lets give John Lackey a call,.see what he's up to

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

he is currently being thrown out of a go kart track for being beligerent

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Poque posted:

Omg Arrieta back makes me very happy. I don't care, gently caress you

Arrieta is totally washed and I'm very happy I don't have to watch him pitch for the Phillies anymore

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bring in Big Z. Do it, you cowards.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

R.D. Mangles posted:

gently caress yes, I'm down for that.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Mark Melancon signed with San Diego.

Also after an amount of time that is getting weird now, the supposed Adam Duvall to Miami deal has not been made official so I wonder if there's a physical pending or a counteroffer or something.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I won’t root for San Diego since they’re the “fun” team now but I can’t root against Melancon & Musgrove. (I like machado a lot too)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

All the greatest hits. Except Jeff S.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Arrieta is totally washed and I'm very happy I don't have to watch him pitch for the Phillies anymore

This, plus he's a douche

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

If they do, then the Chicago Baseball Oafs will no longer have attended his final professional game in person.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

thinking about zambrano going to play in the australian league and changing his nickname to "big zed"

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Re: minor leagues: it is much weirder to offload the professional development of athletes onto institutions for learning where players are forbidden from drawing salaries than it is to have some form of robust minor league. It’s essentially just a historical accident in the US alone.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Ya but if you read the dudes post there are dozens of baseball players who should have the opportunity to play professional baseball in leagues where professional development is not a goal. Just some guys playing ball

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Minor leagues is better than using college because you have your own people in there instructing them and teaching them what you want and the way you want it. The NFL SHOULD do it, but they never will because the owners like getting free prospect farming vs the cost and logistics of setting up a league, and the universities would a bloo bloo like crazy because it would more than likely kill college football. Most players wouldn't go play in college when you can get signed and groomed by an NFL team and be paid

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kirios posted:

Hahahaha you as a Twins fan sure as hell remember it.

Yes exactly and in no way was anyone lauding them as heroes

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

uggy posted:

Ya but if you read the dudes post there are dozens of baseball players who should have the opportunity to play professional baseball in leagues where professional development is not a goal. Just some guys playing ball

That's...literally the case in every minor league system. There's an awful lot of crap goalkeepers in lower-tier professional soccer who are there because someone has to play goalkeeper, same with catchers and quite a few others in the baseball minors.

Nodoze posted:

Minor leagues is better than using college because you have your own people in there instructing them and teaching them what you want and the way you want it. The NFL SHOULD do it, but they never will because the owners like getting free prospect farming vs the cost and logistics of setting up a league, and the universities would a bloo bloo like crazy because it would more than likely kill college football. Most players wouldn't go play in college when you can get signed and groomed by an NFL team and be paid

We're stuck with it in football specifically because for a lot of people and state legislatures in this country that's literally the only reason to fund a university anymore. You think LSU would be putting out PhDs still if the football team was intramural?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Yes exactly and in no way was anyone lauding them as heroes
There was a lot of “this team has overcome so much adversity” bullshit on those October broadcasts

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
https://youtu.be/uh_F8WtrDCo

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Foolish Baseball bothers me for some reason

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
I think he's a sweet boy

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bewbies posted:

Perhaps I wasn't communicating effectively, but if your takeaway was that I'm not a huge fan of minor league baseball, my point was not received.

What I dislike is that MiLB is dominated by affiliated teams/leagues, whose primary reason for existence is developing a tiny number of prospects into major leaguers. Developmental baseball is fine, but it isn't the same as true indy baseball. Affiliated teams live and die at the whim of their parents, have to play lineups and rotations not for winning but for maximizing prospect playing time, players are rarely in one place for more than a year, and baseball players with no major league future are virtually worthless. All of this is bad for the fan.

What I'd like to see is MLB trim down its ridiculous system of affiliated leagues so that more communities can enjoy independent ball and all of the cool things it brings, rather than so much of the minor league landscape being controlled by the immediate needs of big league clubs.

And no, you don't need 15 different levels of minor leagues to develop good baseball players.

conclusion: you all should watch https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Battered_Bastards_of_Baseball

You'd probably also enjoy the podcast about the San Jose Bees the Dollop just did

They basically signed as many guys with talent who had been blackballed because of drugs by Uberroth as they could after losing Expos affiliation. So they got some money from Seibu to bring in 5 Japanese guys and a coach

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qKWMgs4HG4

the Twins/Rays bit made me actually mad (not because the Twins were involved)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

IcePhoenix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qKWMgs4HG4

the Twins/Rays bit made me actually mad (not because the Twins were involved)

The Escobar/Deduno AB is amazing :stare:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: Flaherty won his arb case against the Cards and is very happy about it:

https://twitter.com/ByRobertMurray/status/1360683373824536588
https://twitter.com/Jack9Flaherty/status/1360683167116525568
https://twitter.com/Jack9Flaherty/status/1360683206878453762

V: Owns, I wish more players were less obtuse about telling owners to pound sand. Seriously what the gently caress are you doing bringing your young, home grown ace to arb over $900K? It's not a problem unique to the Cardinals either, the Rays took Yarbrough to arb over $800K and won because apparently they were able to argue that since he came in after the opener he should be weighed as multi-inning reliever, not a starter. :fuckoff:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

It's not a problem unique to the Cardinals either, the Rays took Yarbrough to arb over $800K and won because apparently they were able to argue that since he came in after the opener he should be weighed as multi-inning reliever, not a starter. :fuckoff:

lol this is some peak bull poo poo.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I like Flaherty a lot, glad to see him defeat the Cardinals :v:

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

You'd probably also enjoy the podcast about the San Jose Bees the Dollop just did

They basically signed as many guys with talent who had been blackballed because of drugs by Uberroth as they could after losing Expos affiliation. So they got some money from Seibu to bring in 5 Japanese guys and a coach

No offense if this is a favorite of yours, but I tried to give it a shot and I lasted about 25 minutes through the unlistenable garbage and ads.

It is a great story though, I assume this is the article they were working from.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2016/09/16/bad-news-bees-san-jose-mike-norris-steve-howe

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Mike Soroka won his arbitration case against the Braves and will make $2.8m rather than $2.1m next season. As yet unclear: why the Braves would dick around over $700k.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I will provide the counter and say I really like the dollop. There are a bunch of ads, but they are all at the beginning, so skip 10 minutes in. And they have done a bunch of baseball episodes and they are all pretty good. Other episodes include Rube Waddell, Ten Cent Beer Night, Disco Demolition night, the yankee swap, Glenn Burke, and others i can't remember.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Dollop has some great episodes, though Dave Anthony (the main guy I think?) is a huge baby about the Giants and Bumgarner on twitter. I think he blocked me for making fun of Bumgarner in his mentions after the Muncy “go get it out of the ocean” game.

In particular I enjoyed their episodes on DiFi, McCain, and GHWBush.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

It isn't baseball but the episode they did on soccer mascot Cyril the Swan in their UK miniseries (https://dollopengland.libsyn.com/2-cyril-the-swan) is maybe the funniest telling of a sports story I've ever heard.

And yes Dave Anthony is a huge baby on social media.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

bawfuls posted:

The Dollop has some great episodes, though Dave Anthony (the main guy I think?) is a huge baby about the Giants and Bumgarner on twitter. I think he blocked me for making fun of Bumgarner in his mentions after the Muncy “go get it out of the ocean” game.

In particular I enjoyed their episodes on DiFi, McCain, and GHWBush.

Yeah he like baseball a lot but his baseball opinions themselves are very wrong. He's a comedian that hates fun. It's weird. Those episodes are all bangers. I liked the Trump episodes too to be honest. But McCain is so so so good.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

It's me! JOHN LACKEY! GREATEST PITCHER OF ALL TIME!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Turner back to Dodgers.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

News broken apparently by JT himself on twitter

https://twitter.com/redturn2/status/1360765052081479680?s=21

If it’s a player option for the 3rd year that makes sense as the compromise they should have come to months ago

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1360768827928289280?s=21

edit: sounds like it’s a team option

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 14, 2021

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1360786752605216769

Paxton back to Seattle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Having trouble imagining this guy in a Mariners uniform, just doesn't seem to track :v:

welcome back K-Pax, remember to peel the banana before eating it

I mean who wouldn't want this kind of mental fortitude on their team

https://twitter.com/beardedroseguy/status/1360793375255896067