Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Jerusalem posted:

This reminds me, it's a gigantic stretch on my part but I got a good giggle when Pietro told Wanda she could rely on him to be the male chaperone for the kids because "I've got the XY gene!"

Ha, I didn't pick up on that in that way but that's pretty cute. They should just have Pietro keep trolling us by making minor x-men references.

"Vision looks pretty rough, I know a good metalworker who might be able to patch him up."

"The government's being rough on you eh Sis? Eh, I'm used to it, just let me know if you need some help."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Everybody has been posting "No. More mutants!" and being worried about the number of mutants etc, but what if Wanda actually reduces the hex down to a single, solitary person and says,"Namor. Mutant."? :thunk:

Sue Storm can be Rambeau's friend and be immediately enthralled by what she sees, causing her nerd boyfriend to try and fly a ship into a cosmic storm to impress her.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I checked the credits out of curiosity, and it’s odd that Allan Heinberg and Jim Cheung’s names are still absent from the “Special Thanks To” section for key comic creators, despite the obvious debt the show owes them (Billy’s costume, Billy’s and Tommy’s respective powers). innocent oversight maybe?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Fartington Butts posted:

Edit: or maybe they destroy the Hex and it sets off a shockwave that alters a certain percentage of people's DNA throughout the planet.

it has to be something massive that affects the whole globe. Shockwave sounds about right. Like they said, older mutants like the Professor and Wolverine were keeping it secret (Wolvie minding his own business in the middle of Canada, so that could work). Probably Fury knew, but were also keeping it secret for spy reasons. But then we are left with Deadpool who is totally going to point out how wrong is everything.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Fartington Butts posted:

I can't imagine this being the reason mutants come to MCU. That would initially limit the amount of mutants as coming from Westfield and they would have to do annoying wrangling to explain mutants potentially coming from somewhere else in the future.

Edit: or maybe they destroy the Hex and it sets off a shockwave that alters a certain percentage of people's DNA throughout the planet.

One of the main reasons people are discussing it as a possibility after this episode at all is because it isn't just confined to Westview anymore, and appears to be growing uncontrollably and so could theoretically grow to cover a much, much larger area before it's stopped. It probably won't, but it may and that's one of the things people are taking as fodder for discussion.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

tsob posted:

I think you're hopes are pretty small, because the show has repeatedly questioned how Wanda's powers changed and suddenly became capable of so much grander feats

I still think the answer to this is obvious. The energies of the Infinity Stones have gravitated to Wanda since she’s already imbued with the power of the Mind Stone. Like attracts like. She now has the power of all the Infinity Stones within her. Her presence in the next Doctor Strange movie is going to be about Strange teaching her how to harness all that power.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Wanda had waaay to much of a reaction repeating the line "Kick-rear end?".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Phylodox posted:

I still think the answer to this is obvious. The energies of the Infinity Stones have gravitated to Wanda since she’s already imbued with the power of the Mind Stone. Like attracts like. She now has the power of all the Infinity Stones within her. Her presence in the next Doctor Strange movie is going to be about Strange teaching her how to harness all that power.

That the Stones have existed since the beginning of the universe, at at least one of them has a mind of its own, likely points to that simply destroying their physical representations isn't enough.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I just hope the Hayward and wonder trio stuff is so cliche intentionally to lull the viewer into a false sense of security.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

twistedmentat posted:

This is basically what I have been thinking, Xavier, Magneto and Fury have an understanding that mutants would be kept under wraps because they know that if mutants became common knowlage people would freak the poo poo out. Plus there's only been a handful in history, so its easy to keep them hidden. Maybe just like Wolverine + classic X-men. Having Fury being part of it would make it easier to believe that they were kept quiet because having Fury involved with anything you can easily go "Oh yea that makes sense".

I like this theory. What if there are only a handful of mutants and Xavier has been using his power to erase people’s memories of them until Wanda expanded the bubble just enough to have Xavier’s mansion on the outskirts so he (and the X-Men) is just frozen, unable to keep the existence of mutants out of peoples minds now. The town is just close enough and it would give added incentive for people in the MCU to hate mutants beyond what Wanda is doing

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Zil posted:

I just hope the Hayward and wonder trio stuff is so cliche intentionally to lull the viewer into a false sense of security.

I do too, Darcy and Woo seem to be pretty popular characters. I don't think it's Phil Coulson levels of popular, but they picked the right people for those parts.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
“That’s it! My way back into the Hex will be here in an hour. Just gotta meet my guy over the ridge.” - Monica verbatim in the latest episode

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Some thoughts

The line "I got shot for no reason" may also serve as a dig at whedon or whoever was responsible for killing off a speed based character who in the fox universe could catch and move bullets midflight

Pietro started off not knowing who vision is and ended with him saying "your dead husband can't die twice"

Love the "wacky shenanigans" music cues when vision was exploring town seeing all the hosed up situations everyone is in

I'm partial to shadow Kat Denning which means next episode there will be an ominous scene of a hanging still-locked handcuffs to a clown car

I can't emphasize enough how much charisma Evan Peter's bring to the quicksilver role compared to atj who seems to be doing gruff military shooter roles now

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Mooseontheloose posted:

A few things I noticed:

1. I think one of the movies in the background is Night of the living dead.
2. When Wanda starts talking to the community watch guy, did anyone notice the person in the plague mask is looking at Wanda the whole time?
3. I think they are playing both sides with Agnes because she is dressed as a witch and has white hair. Much like Emma Caufield's character who was suppose to be the whole center of this or Pietro who feels like he is trying to manipulate her. On the other hand, she was just passing through might also be true as her car is not from NJ.

Regarding #2 here compare that dude with the pattern on the wallpaper in the poster that people said was a Mephisto reference. I think that might actually be Mephisto, just hanging out because it's Halloween and he can. And he wasn't staring at Wanda, he was staring at the camera, which is the first thing background extras are told not to ever do. That was totally an on-purpose thing we're meant to catch on a rewatch.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Regarding the stones

One of them appeared to survive outside the Hex, at least for a moment...

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
That plague mask guy looks like a halloween decoration to me. It looks like it's being propped up by the pole behind it.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

BrianWilly posted:

Meanwhile, I highly doubt this is how they do mutants in the MCU. When they bring in mutants it's going to be proper mutants, children of the atom, genetic evolutionary species, blah blah yada yada. It's not gonna be "science/magic experiment gone wrong, all of them from a random town in New Jersey" like what seems to be happening with Monica. Like they're not gonna have Psylocke or Wolverine be from Westview, y'all.

I don't see mutants being majorly introduced right now either. Dr Strange 2 is concerned with the multiverse, next Spider Man rumored also multiverse, next Ant-man is called Quantumania maybe have multiverse in it too. I see this phase of movies ending with a big multiverse-threat showdown and a group of New Avengers and maybe Disney will use it to introduce mutants by the end but I would be surprised if they started now. This show is going to lead to Dr Strange 2 and it would be surprising if they went for more than that.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Argue posted:

That plague mask guy looks like a halloween decoration to me. It looks like it's being propped up by the pole behind it.

Yeah its legs are extremely skinny and it didn't move at all. Definitely a mannequin

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ignis posted:

I'm still watching episode but holy hell, that's the best Bryan Cranston impression I've ever seen. Hats off to Bettany.

Maybe instead of "Modern Family" they'll go into Breaking Bad.

Wanda: The SWORD agent are knocking at our door.

Vision: No, they aren't. I am the one who knocks.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So, crossposting that I know folks don't want Mephisto or whatever, but right now I'm dang close to certain that "Pietro" is gonna turn out to be Mephisto, and Evan Peters is gonna end up playing him in the MCU going forward. All of Pietro's lines just make so much more sense if you imagine him as a smarmy, free-wheeling trickster devil character who's enjoying the chaos and discord all this is sowing, is provoking Wanda to go even further with it ("I'm impressed!"), and is developing a notable relationship with her kids.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Yeah, everyone in my Twitter want Evan Peters' Quicksilver. All my rl friends who watch the show want Evan Peters' Quicksilver. The actor and his version of the character are so drat beloved that something tells me there's gonna be a gently caress ton of disappointments and anger if it turns out he is Mephisto. <---hidden cuz it's a theory and we don't know if it will be true or not.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Desperado Bones posted:

Yeah, everyone in my Twitter want Evan Peters' Quicksilver. All my rl friends who watch the show want Evan Peters' Quicksilver. The actor and his version of the character are so drat beloved that something tells me there's gonna be a gently caress ton of disappointments and anger if it turns out he is Mephisto. <---hidden cuz it's a theory and we don't know if it will be true or not.

I also want Evan Peters' as Quicksilver, but I think I could also learn to love Evan Peters as Mephisto. Evan Peters is just a really good actor, and I just want to watch him do more stuff.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I liked how unsettling it was when Vision started finding frozen or barely moving residents on the outskirts of Westview. Felt like when you manage to get out of bounds in a video game and start seeing background elements much closer than you were meant to.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Not sure if this is significant or not, but when Darcy is on the computer:

In addition to the "Project: Cataract" being an obvious play on "Vision," there are other files labeled as medical experiments with different test subject numbers. Implies the director is doing some kind of secret testing on humans. I'm not sure if it is a reference to something or significant. Maybe some kind of easter egg.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
WandaVision: Developed by CDPR

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

show owns, very relieved I'm not a comic book turbodork so that the twists can get me properly titillated from ep to ep and not guessing too much

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Showing a speedsters powers as everything being in slow motion is just so boring, and makes the power tedious to watch. So if they can take Evan Peters and combine him with MCU Quicksilver’s better visual look then that is fine.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
So this thread is a pile of black bars that I don't want to hover over, making searching it difficult, so pardon me if this was mentioned already, but WTF did this week's commercial mean? I didn't see any obvious HYDRA or Ultron symbolism or anything else of the sort. What I did see was a child starving to death, which then leads into Quicksilver asking Wanda where she's been hiding all the children and implying they've been catatonic in their beds between "special" episodes. However, what if those children still need some kind of food (she can't freeze time can she?), and thus the commercial was a weird hint that the paralyzed members of the town are starving to death stuck where they are?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I honestly don't see this show as the introduction of Mutants. The focus has been on Wanda and her attempt to make a happy life for herself in this fictional construct. That life is becoming unsustainable as each episode progresses. Adding in "This is how we introduce Mutants." is putting a lot of the plate and it's outside of the focus of the story.

When Marvel begins making X-Men movies they need to start with the five kids and Professor X. Spend at least three movies with that cast before adding in Storm, Wolverine, Colossus, Nightcrawler (maybe Banshee) and sometime later add Kitty Pride and then the many, many mutants there are currently.

It's been mentioned but the sword agents becoming clowns was hilarious.

I don't know that there is a big bad behind this as much as beings who took advantage of Wanda's power to help her have the happy family life she wanted. I really don't trust anything Agnes does though, even the speech in the car.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Anonymous Zebra posted:

the commercial was a weird hint that the paralyzed members of the town are starving to death stuck where they are?

That's the impression I got

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Anonymous Zebra posted:

So this thread is a pile of black bars that I don't want to hover over, making searching it difficult, so pardon me if this was mentioned already, but WTF did this week's commercial mean? I didn't see any obvious HYDRA or Ultron symbolism or anything else of the sort. What I did see was a child starving to death, which then leads into Quicksilver asking Wanda where she's been hiding all the children and implying they've been catatonic in their beds between "special" episodes. However, what if those children still need some kind of food (she can't freeze time can she?), and thus the commercial was a weird hint that the paralyzed members of the town are starving to death stuck where they are?

The "magic" in yo magic is key I think

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

sebmojo posted:

The "magic" in yo magic is key I think

I think the fact that Agnes was completely stuck on the intersection of Ellis and Rolling Rock until Vision popped by and jolted her awake, after which she was able to get right back into character and drive off is one of your larger clues that Vision isn't being powered by the Mind Stone in his forehead any more. He's animated by the same magic that Wanda thinks she's in control of.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Azhais posted:

That's the impression I got

Yeah, I'm starting to get the impression that there's a part of Wanda's subconscious that's trying to prevent her from fully realizing what's she's doing to the people of Westview because Wanda is still inherently a good person, and realizing she's making actual, living people into puppets for her fantasy is something she'd never be able to live with otherwise.

E: I mean, it would explain a lot of the discrepancies between what Wanda does and what she appears to know about her current circumstances.

Melomane Mallet fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 13, 2021

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I am increasingly thinking that SWORD is actually or has been taken over by AIM.Which it makes sense on several levels.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Darth Brooks posted:

When Marvel begins making X-Men movies they need to start with the five kids and Professor X. Spend at least three movies with that cast before adding in Storm, Wolverine, Colossus, Nightcrawler (maybe Banshee) and sometime later add Kitty Pride and then the many, many mutants there are currently.

It doesn't have to be the O5, but starting with the school and Professor X does feel like the way they'll approach it. It might be Jean, it might be Kate, hell it might be Goldballs, but it's going to start with somebody's first day at the school.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Darth Brooks posted:

I honestly don't see this show as the introduction of Mutants. The focus has been on Wanda and her attempt to make a happy life for herself in this fictional construct. That life is becoming unsustainable as each episode progresses. Adding in "This is how we introduce Mutants." is putting a lot of the plate and it's outside of the focus of the story.

I don’t know if it will be the introduction of the mutants. I think this at least will be the introduction of the multiverse, which seems to be the focus of the next several Marvel movies. I think you can have something akin to Secret Wars where the universes come together and you effectively have a soft reboot of things. You can recast characters like Iron Man, Captain America, etc with no issue, introduce mutants as if they were always there along with other characters.

I do think that just having it just a small group at first is the best idea. Hell I wouldn’t even have Wolverine in the first one. Let them introduce the other characters and give them some breathing room first.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Desperado Bones posted:

why not both?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Oasx posted:

Showing a speedsters powers as everything being in slow motion is just so boring, and makes the power tedious to watch. So if they can take Evan Peters and combine him with MCU Quicksilver’s better visual look then that is fine.

I'd say "imagine being this wrong about super speed effects" but you're literally wrong about everything all the time so

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Djarum posted:

I don’t know if it will be the introduction of the mutants. I think this at least will be the introduction of the multiverse, which seems to be the focus of the next several Marvel movies. I think you can have something akin to Secret Wars where the universes come together and you effectively have a soft reboot of things. You can recast characters like Iron Man, Captain America, etc with no issue, introduce mutants as if they were always there along with other characters.

I do think that just having it just a small group at first is the best idea. Hell I wouldn’t even have Wolverine in the first one. Let them introduce the other characters and give them some breathing room first.

Yeah, and it'd make sense to put the X-Men universe as a seperate dimension- and point out that the Maximoff twins are one of the few characters to have equivalents in both universes and thus make a plausible convergence point. (Extra comedy value: both Wandas are played by the same actress) Maybe there's a universal convergence that makes a new combined continuity (and soft reboot with all new actors) or something, comics have done sillier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

my crack Agnes theory is I think she was playing at being frozen in the car. Everyone else is completely motionless, all the lights are flickering in the cul-de-sac like everything's barely working. But her car still has the engine running, the car lights are staying steady, and when we see her up close, she's... like, I don't know to put this non-awkwardly, she's "still" but in the same way you'd be if someone told you not to move. Still breathing. We don't really get too close of a look at anyone else who is that far "out of bounds" but they all look completely and totally frozen in a way she didn't.

The first time we saw someone get un-stuck, they were a lot more panicked. Agnes in the car feels like she's still reading off a script. Like she's very pointedly trying to get Vision to realize what's up and to get him in the right direction to cause a conflict.

Maybe I'm reading too deeply into it but she really seems to me like she's "acting" as someone who isn't working correctly rather than actually not working correctly.