Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Carvana will likely be a tad high since that's where their money comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Thank you phosdex and IOwnCalculus. You've both very helpful and I appreciate it.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Humerus posted:

Alright goons help me out here, because I may be looking for a unicorn but hopefully there's something that works for me.

Current situation: I have a hatchback 2015 Focus. Unfortunately I did zero research on buying the car and I loved the test drive so I bought it (used, this was 3 years ago). Obviously the transmission poo poo itself and I did get it fixed under warranty but it taught me the lesson of actually researching cars before I buy. Anyway I have one child right now, a toddler, but by August there's going to be a newborn. I love little cars but even at 5'8" my toddler's car seat can't fit behind me so when there's two car seats that's obviously not going to work. It's really like 2 or 3 inches at most that I need more. I can't give up my hatchback because I'm the primary at home parent and I'll need the space for a double stroller plus whatever else (groceries, kid sport poo poo in the future, whatever).

So basically I'm searching for a car that's big enough for two rear facing car seats but not really big and preferably not that high off the road because I don't really like being high up. I have driven my wife's Crosstrek a few times and while I could get used to it, it is higher than I'm really comfortable with.

I know the seat will fit behind me when I'm in the Crosstrek, and if I understand correctly, the Impreza wagon is the same dimensions? So that's a definite possibility. But I've really been looking at the Kia Niro as well. The prices seem good, I've read that Kia reliability is top notch and I like that it's a hybrid since I will be doing most of the driving (eventually).

Besides those it seems like anything that can fit two car seats + hatch is an SUV that I frankly don't think I'd ever be comfortable in. My wife had an Escape that we sold when she went full work from home and I hated driving it.

I should say budget is $18k, but $16k would be ideal, I live in Florida. Top priority is the car seats, of course, with safety next. I'd love Android Auto but that's still not as common so it's not a deal breaker. I really don't give a poo poo about performance because I drive like an old man.

So I guess mostly tell me about the Niro and any pitfalls involved with them. I've been keeping an eye on Carmax hoping they get a Niro in so I can lug the car seat in and test it in person.

The 2017+ Civic hatch might keep you in a small car. Thanks to the magic of Honda's interior packaging, the rear seats in the current-gen Civic hatch are as big as what you'd find in an older midsized sedan.

If that doesn't work for you, you should consider moving up to a midsized sedan like a Honda Accord. Your #1 priority by far seems to be staying in a car instead of moving to an SUV. A midsized sedan would allow you to stay in a car while giving you more space for your family. The trunk of a midsized sedan is also a far more usable cargo area than it is on paper.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Carvana will likely be a tad high since that's where their money comes from.
Their prices are also horrendously overinflated. By 20% in some cases from my personal experience. And that's before you take into account that regular dealerships can be haggled with.

Just like Amazon, you're paying premium for convenience.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Nitrox posted:

Their prices are also horrendously overinflated. By 20% in some cases from my personal experience. And that's before you take into account that regular dealerships can be haggled with.

Yeah but I'm a weirdo want a late model golf wagon with a manual, can't find any locally

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Plugging credit unions here. Mine got me a great rate, but also has a car purchasing service. I emailed a very nice person who asked me what car I wanted, in which colors and what trim and sent me a couple options. It showed up outside my door without any haggling or ever setting foot in a dealership

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Humerus posted:

I'll keep an eye out for these wagons, though ideally I won't be replacing my 2015 with something older so it looks like the Acura is out.

Age isn't that big a deal really, condition matters more. I'd buy a 10 year old Honda over a 3 year old Kia seeing at the Kia warranty gets trashed when used.
IMHO, of course.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Posting for my dad, who's in his mid 60s and wants a "fun" car to take to work on nice days/to the golf course on the weekend.

Proposed Budget: <$20k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) 2 or 4 door
How will you be using the car?: Commuting to work on nice days, driving to the golf course, reliving the glory days.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Not necessarily.
What aspects are most important to you: He wants something that's decently reliable, decent on fuel, able to fit a pair of golf clubs, and kind of sporty, pretty much in that order.

We've been looking at gently used 2 series coupes, which seem like a decent option (well, reliability...). Anything else obvious that he's missing? He doesn't want a Corvette or a Miata.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 31, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
GTI?

Not sure about the reliability: Subaru BRZ

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mustang

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Forgot he doesn't want a Mustang.

Uthor posted:

GTI?

Not sure about the reliability: Subaru BRZ

He's not really looking for a hatchback, although duh, forgot about the BRZ/86! He's in to it!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

uhh camaro? :v:

Just throwing out some other stuff - Z car, Gencoupe, maybe IS350 if he wants a sedan?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

1964 Studebaker Wagonaire

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

PainterofCrap posted:

1964 Studebaker Wagonaire

I had to look it up, and wow

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-studebaker-daytona-wagon-2/

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
BMW Miata

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

How dumb of an idea is buying a BMW 135i in good condition, driving it for a couple years, and selling it before it becomes a pile of expensive german metal?

Edit: the 2011-2013 model for the less explodey engine.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 1, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Gangringo posted:

How dumb of an idea is buying a BMW 135i in good condition, driving it for a couple years, and selling it before it becomes a pile of expensive german metal?

Edit: the 2011-2013 model for the less explodey engine.

It's a real parts bin car but you can mostly figure out what you're doing by choosing the factor service manual from the car that had the part you're dealing with.

Yank the clutch delay valve out and they're a hell of a lot of fun.

You're pretty much looking for something that's been super well maintained if you don't want this to be a project car.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

quote:

Just throwing out some other stuff - Z car, Gencoupe, maybe IS350 if he wants a sedan?

IS350 is probably worth looking at as well, thanks.

My dad is a cheap bastard that tries to spend as little money on cars as possible by buying stuff at auctions, getting his mechanic friend to fix it, and then driving it for 200k miles. This is him "treating himself," but I know he's going to treat whatever cars he buys like (relative) poo poo. Still good enough to get a '99 Passat to 230k miles though! :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nitrox posted:

Yeah when I bought my car, carvana had one exactly like it with more miles for 15k and I got mine for 13k OTD after some haggling at a dealership.

I don't think I'd go the carvana route unless it's a car I can't find anywhere else or if I just wanted to avoid dealers all together.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah when I bought my car, carvana had one exactly like it with more miles for 15k and I got mine for 13k OTD after some haggling at a dealership.

I don't think I'd go the carvana route unless it's a car I can't find anywhere else or if I just wanted to avoid dealers all together.
Some people have severe social anxiety and would rather their pay sticker price then say no to a pushy dealer. For them, CarMax is a godsent because they get to avoid confrontation.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nitrox posted:

Some people have severe social anxiety and would rather their pay sticker price then say no to a pushy dealer. For them, CarMax is a godsent because they get to avoid confrontation.

I get that and it's probably worth it for those people. My transaction wasn't bad, I negotiated via text and agreed on an OTD price, but when I went to pay for it they wasted my time by insisting I needed a warranty even after I told them five or six times I wasn't interested trying their bullshit game. It was annoying but I wouldn't call it a confrontation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I get that and it's probably worth it for those people. My transaction wasn't bad, I negotiated via text and agreed on an OTD price, but when I went to pay for it they wasted my time by insisting I needed a warranty even after I told them five or six times I wasn't interested trying their bullshit game. It was annoying but I wouldn't call it a confrontation.

yeah for some people that's insurmountable, though

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Hello! Could use some help/advice:

I'm getting a new (used) car soon, and leaning strongly towards a Toyota Prius for fuel economy, reliability, and the hatchback design. If there are other similar/better options that fit that bill, I'd love to hear about them.

In general though, what should I look out for when buying, particularly in terms of maintenance? Are there any model years to avoid 2015 or later (a quick search tells me 2016 may not be that great)?

Also, I'm toying with the idea of going through a broker to save myself the hassle; I did find one with excellent reviews. Is this a horrible idea? In particular, I'm concerned about being taken advantage of at dealerships being a female with genuinely very little knowledge about cars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

prius is good

you can put cash on the nail to be taken advantage of, sure, that's possible. if you wanna go that route, carmax is probably a better choice.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone have a formed opinion on the CT200h, specifically if the 20%+ premium for the facelift 2014 cars is worth it over the early ones in similar condition / mileage

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I want a used car with a little more driver leg room and a little more cargo space than my Honda Fit had, in the 15-20k range

Android auto is a requirement, manual preferred. I like small cars so I don't want an SUV or crossover

I was thinking golf wagon but I'm hearing that they still have the same problems that I saw when I was a mechanic 15 years ago (plastic thermostat housing etc) so that means I'd have to get certified and between that and wanting a manual, good luck finding one to me

Impreza hatchback seems good. It's really hard to find more space than the Fit in a smaller car, the Fit is massive on the inside with the seats folded down but I'm 6'4 so it was a little too small for me. I like putting my mountain bike inside my car (as opposed to on a rack) and the Fit was just a tiny bit too small for that, had to really sqeeze it in there and move the passenger seat around etc.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it is in fact impossible to find a smaller car with more interior space than the Fit, as the Fit was designed by the last vestiges of Good Honda engineering wizardry. I'm not even convinced the Impreza is that much bigger on the inside.

Golf thermostat housing has been revised and although it is still plastic by all accounts it's more reliable. The Golf is not going to achieve Good Honda levels of reliability but then again nothing is. I think availability of manual transmissions on Mark 7 wagons is fine especially if you include Alltrack. There aren't that many manual transmission cars of any kind in the first place.

Maybe Civic hatch? The hatch design is kind of goofy and so I don't think interior storage is phenomenal, but it is pretty good overall.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
The Subaru will be pretty much Honda reliable no? Other than the head gasket issues they had for a short time.on certain engines, I literally can't think of a single notorious Subaru problem

E:looking it up, I guess they have a lot of really annoying problems with infotainment nowadays?

feelix fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 5, 2021

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

feelix posted:

The Subaru will be pretty much Honda reliable no? Other than the head gasket issues they had for a short time.on certain engines, I literally can't think of a single notorious Subaru problem

E:looking it up, I guess they have a lot of really annoying problems with infotainment nowadays?

Look up subaru ring issues. They killed enough engines my local dealership had a whole shop dedicated to rebuilds.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Short time for headgasket issues? Aren't we talking more like... 10 years for the EJ25 headgaskets? And then the oil consumption issues after that. Subaru seems great at making the car mostly reliable and then having some major engine design flaw.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
The recall for excessive oil consumption was for 2010-2015 Subarus. I think I saw complaints on forums after that.

Corolla Hatch? I think that comes in stick. There's more options if you're willing to put your bike on a rack.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Corolla hatch has very little cargo space and barely any more leg room than the Fit

Impreza has slightly more cargo space than the fit and considerably more leg room

Not sure how meaningful published leg room measurements are

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

feelix posted:

I want a used car with a little more driver leg room and a little more cargo space than my Honda Fit had, in the 15-20k range

Android auto is a requirement, manual preferred. I like small cars so I don't want an SUV or crossover

I was thinking golf wagon but I'm hearing that they still have the same problems that I saw when I was a mechanic 15 years ago (plastic thermostat housing etc) so that means I'd have to get certified and between that and wanting a manual, good luck finding one to me

Impreza hatchback seems good. It's really hard to find more space than the Fit in a smaller car, the Fit is massive on the inside with the seats folded down but I'm 6'4 so it was a little too small for me. I like putting my mountain bike inside my car (as opposed to on a rack) and the Fit was just a tiny bit too small for that, had to really sqeeze it in there and move the passenger seat around etc.

I have a Scion xB and my mountain bike and my son's BMX bike both fit in it no problem.

Manual xB's are harder to find but they are out there. The automatic is actually really good tho. Super reliable and safe cars.

2015 was the last year they were made but you can still find some with low miles.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I assume they don't have Android Auto but I suppose I could put an aftermarket HU

What about the Soul? I test drove one when I was shopping for my Fit and the fact that the steering wheel was peeling off the frame despite the car not being very old turned me off of it

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah it's standard double DIN so you can put whatever aftermarket head unit you want in it which is actually really nice. Relatively cheap upgrade.

The Soul is a good car too, I just didn't like it nearly as much as the xB, the xB drove better overall to me (handles better and quicker) and I like the styling and interior layout better. A friend of mine has a Soul and he loves it, no problems with it whatsoever.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

powderific posted:

Short time for headgasket issues? Aren't we talking more like... 10 years for the EJ25 headgaskets? And then the oil consumption issues after that. Subaru seems great at making the car mostly reliable and then having some major engine design flaw.

I like it was like 96 to like 2013. So a long rear end time.
The piston ring issue on the turbo EJ25s and the banjo bolt issue causing turbo failures on the LGTs.
Also 5 speed connected to turbo cars.
I think the CVTs have issues too.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Figures I discover the Car Buying thread AFTER ordering my vehicle.

I have a 2021 Ford F150 Limited Powerboost incoming in a few months. I'm very excited about all of it's quirks and features.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

arbybaconator posted:

I have a 2021 Ford F150 Limited Powerboost incoming in a few months. I'm very excited about all of it's quirks and features.

Perfect avatar/post combo.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Any thoughts on the Buick Regal wagon? I've been a domestic hater my whole life and it's obviously not a small manual car but I'm down with a big wagon that's not an SUV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

arbybaconator posted:

Probably for the best. Enjoy the new truck. Not really much to discuss as there’s almost never a decent discount on a limited trim, and some of the regulars here would probably have a fit at the idea of someone dropping over 70k on a truck.