Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Check this article out dawg https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Document/forms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Away all Goats posted:

Thank you for the help. I did some testing and it does seem that the problem seems to in the way the radio tag passes the information in to the function since it keeps returning a NaN value. I tried switching it to a select tag but no dice. Tried the form.elements method and adding an eventlistener and still keeps returning a NaN.

I've been smashing my head against this wall for a few hours now so I think I'll take a break. Thanks again though. Maybe I'll just have each calculator on its own separate page :shepface:

Open up the developer tools and put a breakpoint on the first line at the start of the CalculateMetricBMR function. Step through it one line at a time until you see where the NaN appears.

Also, use strict mode (place "use strict"; at the top of your js file). This will catch more errors.

Also, this doesn't do what you think it does:
code:
default: "medium";
(default is used when none of the cases above are selected.)

Also your problem may be this:
code:
<input name="heightCM" size="4" tabindex="15" type="number" id="heightCM">
You've forgotten the slash at the end:
code:
<input name="heightCM" size="4" tabindex="15" type="number" id="heightCM" />
Your input fields for imperial don't have this problem

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 5, 2021

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm finding the jump from using express & pug to nextjs hard and things are a lot less straight forward imho. The whole getstaticpaths and getstaticprops thing seems odd. I guess with time it'll become second knowledge like using function blah = (req,res,next) but jeesh!

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
why does it seem odd

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's a lot more abstract imho. It could be because i'm still relatively new to javascript but something like this:

code:
export async function getStaticProps({ params }) {
  const postData = getPostData(params.id)
  return {
    props: {
      postData
    }
  }
}

seems a lot harder than the equivalent in express where I could just go:

code:

export function blogpage(req,res,next) {

// code logic here to create postdata variable

res.render('templatenamehere', {postdata})
}

and have access to postdata directly within PUG. Granted I know next is way more powerful than pug lol.

Is there a way to use postgres with nextjs also?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I really like vue.js much more than react, if not least for the fact that I'm basically writing a template with ifs and loops for components without JSX oddities that just seem weird to me like {whatever.map(<more thing>)}

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Empress Brosephine posted:

It's a lot more abstract imho. It could be because i'm still relatively new to javascript but something like this:

code:
export async function getStaticProps({ params }) {
  const postData = getPostData(params.id)
  return {
    props: {
      postData
    }
  }
}

seems a lot harder than the equivalent in express where I could just go:

code:

export function blogpage(req,res,next) {

// code logic here to create postdata variable

res.render('templatenamehere', {postdata})
}

and have access to postdata directly within PUG. Granted I know next is way more powerful than pug lol.

Is there a way to use postgres with nextjs also?

The equivalent would get to getServerProps() since you are doing server-side rendering when the page is requested. getStaticProps() generates the HTML at build time.

Check out the API routes for Next.js they are very similar to express.

You can definitely use any datasource your want with next.js, check this out
https://vercel.com/guides/nextjs-prisma-postgres

Biowarfare posted:

I really like vue.js much more than react, if not least for the fact that I'm basically writing a template with ifs and loops for components without JSX oddities that just seem weird to me like {whatever.map(<more thing>)}

One extends es6+ js syntax and the other is using a custom html templating language.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Biowarfare posted:

Why does javascript seem weird to you?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you for the help I'll take a look

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Lumpy posted:

Why does javascript seem weird to you?

It's just personal opinion. I took to vue a lot more readily, it felt slightly more natural to do the vast majority of my JS stuff in JS, and just write "normal" HTML with a bit of `:if="user.loggedIn"` peppered into it like an actual template. I use computed a lot for this also.

I don't know how to describe it. I'm fine writing whatever.map(do => a thing) in the course of normal JS and outputting but using multiple lines of chained .map/filter inside mustaches and also doing stuff like `{a.filter(x => x.hasUserTitle).map(x => <UserTitle poop={x}>})` is strange to get used to, even though I use react daily.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Vue is one heck of a lot easier to learn than React is, and gives you a whole lot more stuff builtin. You have your HTML and your JS and your CSS all in the same file but they're separate from each other and the HTML is mostly just normal HTML. You get scoped CSS for free too, which is really cool and good. Typechecking for props is builtin, and there are official libraries for a lot of usual boilerplate stuff like a state store (vuex) and a router and so on, so you don't need to go on a blog post reading adventure to figure out what third party library is "in" this year. The docs are also really good and much friendlier than React's.

Oh, and React components don't have custom events, instead you pass a callback function down as a prop like some kind of goddamned caveman, or you install some dispatcher library from npm.

The main disadvantage of vue is that the template language isn't as sophisticated as JSX's full-on javascript, but I've never really felt it was much of a limitation. Type checking the template doesn't work well either but I hear they've added native typescript support in Vue 3.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 5, 2021

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Vue sounds heavenly.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I much prefer it over React, yeah. There are certain use cases where React's flexibility and pure-JS compositional nature can make it preferable but in most cases I really don't see any compelling technical reason to choose it over Vue these days. Vue is just a lot easier to work with and involves less bikeshedding over how to best implement boilerplate poo poo. React is still more prestigious though and most big organizations probably prefer it because of inertia and widespread adoption.

e: laffo, apparently vue also supports jsx and you can use that too if you really want to. TIL!

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 5, 2021

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Question...how come I can't access "props" in this function?

code:
import Header from '../components/header"

export default function Layout({ children, home, props }) {
  return (
    <div className={styles.container}>
      <Head>
      </Head>
      <Header username={props.username} />
This is what i'm trying to send over to Layout

code:
const username = "PawlCat";
  return (
    <Layout home username={username}/>
Thanks

EDIT: I figured it out by setting export default function Layout ({children, home, username}) and that works, but i'm still unsure why I couldn't access it from "props"

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 6, 2021

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Question...how come I can't access "props" in this function?

code:
import Header from '../components/header"

return (
    <div className={styles.container}>
      <Head>
      </Head>
      <Header username={props.username} />
This is what i'm trying to send over to Layout

code:
const username = "PawlCat";
  return (
    <Layout home username={username}/>
Thanks

EDIT: I figured it out by setting export default function Layout ({children, home, username}) and that works, but i'm still unsure why I couldn't access it from "props"

Because you were destructuring an undefined variable called 'props' from the props that were passed in the way you created the component.

This:

code:
]
is the same as this:
code:
export default function Layout(props) {
 const  children = props.children;
 const home  = props.home;  
 const  props  = props.props;  //now you have an undefined props.
}
is the same as this:
code:
  const{ children, home, props } = props;  //now you have an undefined props.
}
if you want to access the actual props:

code:
 const { children, home  } = props;
 console.log(props.buttes);
}

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 6, 2021

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
interesting, thank you for that help

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
If you want to be cool, you could try

JavaScript code:
export default function Layout({ children, home, ...otherProps }) {
  // now `children` and `home` have the values you want,
  // and `otherProps` contains all the other props
}

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is the "..." syntax? i tried searching for it but couldn't get any results

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Spread operator : https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Operators/Spread_syntax

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

It’s for variadic functions.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thabks

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

TheFluff posted:

React is still more prestigious though and most big organizations probably prefer it because of inertia and widespread adoption.

Oddly, this seems different based on userbase - from poking around the ecosystem, opening issues, looking for vue plugins, it seems like every major chinese company is all in on vue and avoiding angular/react (react in rare cases) for unknown reasons. more often than not if i find a plugin it'll have demos hosted on tencent cloud or alibaba, or have default npm instructions to pull from the taobao npm mirror. I don't see anything even remotely close to this in the angular/react world

Impotence fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 6, 2021

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nvm

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 10, 2021

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Does anyone know the maximum amount of memory JS can take on a user's browser?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There's no one answer, since the practical limits are going to vary massively depending on what hardware the user has and what other things they're doing with their computer at the same time. In general, you should try not to be wasteful with the user's resources.

What motivates the question?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I found v8 maxes out at 8GB (per the :chome: Task Manager), even on a 16GB host.

There’s a case about it somewhere, don’t have the link to hand.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 12, 2021

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Wrapping my hands around fastify as an alternative for express. The problem I'm having is that my api uses both http and websockets, I've got websockets working properly and that's fantastic but the issue is fastify locks everything down.

For example fastify uses this massive json schema verification lib called ajv. So I figure if I'm using that already I may as well also use that for my websocket endpoints. But I can't use fastify's implementation of ajv willy nilly, I need to re-implement the thing manually. I can't just grab it out of the fastify instance.

I have to separately install ajv and build the tooling around it myself.

Same issue where it comes to fastify plugins like fastify-sensible, a library that implements a bunch of common error messages like BadRequest or Unauthorized.

I figure, since I'm using it anyway I may as well use this for my websocket requests too. But I can't, because fastify-sensible is a plugin for fastify and without the fastify instance I don't have access to what it does. Which makes me question why fastify is an instance to begin with, are people running multiple http servers on the same node?

I dunno maybe they are. But anyway I'm having problems.

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 11, 2021

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Well to solve one problem I'll just use a normal lib like http-errors instead of fastify-sensible.

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 11, 2021

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

*double post*

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Analytic Engine posted:

Does anyone know the maximum amount of memory JS can take on a user's browser?
Chrome will cut you off and crash the JS at a bit less than 2GB regardless of how much RAM the system has, unless you ran it with special flags. (And it will crash if you hit 2GB even if 1.5GB of it was ready to be garbage-collected and just hadn't been yet, and there's no way to force it to run the garbage collector without, again, special flags, and it also doesn't tell you that hitting a memory limit was the problem, so if you run into that it's just a really great experience all round.)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have any of you dabbled with Three.js and react 3D? Is that a huge memory hog?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I have a 800GB webpage with THREE.js, so I have all the fun. The 1.7Gb limit above is out of date, however Google will show you it a lot with NodeJS.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

MrMoo posted:

I have a 800GB webpage with THREE.js, so I have all the fun. The 1.7Gb limit above is out of date, however Google will show you it a lot with NodeJS.

When I see limits like ~1.7gb, that heavily stinks of limits intrinsic to 32-bit processes on windows to me, as 32-bit processes on windows are subject to heap fragmentation and dll calls start failing as the process runs out of virtual address space. I wouldn't expect there to be limits like that using 64-bit processes or saner platforms...

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
The default max heap size in node is something like 1.5gb, but you can up it.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The limit was deliberately low matching 32-bit platforms,

https://v8.dev/blog/heap-size-limit

Renderer side is dynamic now:

https://source.chromium.org/chromiu...35875668f75439f

Textures in WebGL are limited to 2GB I think, which is surprisingly and annoying. Maybe it's just not working well with a Quadro RTX with only 8GB? idk it bails out far too early.

The v8 heap limit is 4GB from this:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=416284

My use case was storing compressed textures on the CPU and sending over to the GPU when needed. The GPU maxed out quickly, then I hit the system memory limit, then moved onto using Service Workers to cache content with better latency.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 12, 2021

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Awesome, thanks

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

MrMoo posted:

How long ago did 1.7Gb as a limit go away? I encountered it at work, on 64-bit Linux machines, in a context in which deserializing about 200MB of protobuffers on the client would consume near-2GB and thereby crash the tab, about two years ago. (Because the Javascript handling of protobuffers is monstrous. If you have a need for that sort of thing I recommend Flatbuffers, where 200MB of them stays in 200MB where it belongs.)

I wouldn't think NodeJS would relate, since NodeJS is not generally running on the client.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

roomforthetuna posted:

How long ago did 1.7Gb as a limit go away? I encountered it at work, on 64-bit Linux machines, in a context in which deserializing about 200MB of protobuffers on the client would consume near-2GB and thereby crash the tab, about two years ago. (Because the Javascript handling of protobuffers is monstrous. If you have a need for that sort of thing I recommend Flatbuffers, where 200MB of them stays in 200MB where it belongs.)

I wouldn't think NodeJS would relate, since NodeJS is not generally running on the client.

Or just JSON. I was working on a thing that manipulated a 100+ MB JSON structure in Chrome two years ago and, while it used about as much RAM per tab as GMail, I didn't have tabs die on me.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

A very low limit was fixed in 2014:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/v8/issues/detail?id=847

WASM 2GB limit removed in May 2020:

https://v8.dev/blog/4gb-wasm-memory#:~:text=Thanks%20to%20recent%20work%20in,512MB%20or%201GB%20of%20memory!

There’s recently a pointer compression thing:

https://www.infoq.com/news/2019/12/v8-8-0-heap-reduction/

Generally it’s brain worms hunting crbug.com for memory issues.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

Or just JSON. I was working on a thing that manipulated a 100+ MB JSON structure in Chrome two years ago and, while it used about as much RAM per tab as GMail, I didn't have tabs die on me.
If those protobuffers had been encoded as JSON they'd have just been 2GB over the wire so that wouldn't have helped. Lots of floating point numbers in there, the worst thing to JSON. Even the gross deserialized proto is probably smaller than the JSON encoding would have been (and probably still smaller than the object the JSON 'decodes' to, as well, because the element keys in a deserialized proto are integers not multi-char strings.)