Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Also, I literally can't watch that video. It's too painfully awkward. Like it hurts me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
One of the things that strikes me as monstrous about this guy, he never does anything himself. He thinks he's such a "leader" that his time is too valuable to restock napkins sometimes or something.

It's not the stuff where's playing it up for the camera that makes me think he's a complete rear end in a top hat, it's some of the phrases he uses, stuff like "follow my journey".

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Ok, there is no way that he's not at least a little bit self aware, this is too ridiculous.

Right?

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I gotta watch this before it gets taken down

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

neosloth posted:

Ok, there is no way that he's not at least a little bit self aware, this is too ridiculous.

Right?

He's self aware in the sense of, "the internet mocks me so I'm going to give them what they want and play up a character". It's not self aware in that his true, awful character is blatantly shining through this "act" he's putting on.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Last Chance posted:

Also, I literally can't watch that video. It's too painfully awkward. Like it hurts me

I have the exact same problem with Curb Your Enthusiasm and some parts of Da Ali G Show. The fact that the former is fiction with actors doesn't help, because Larry is just that much of a petty trainwreck who destroys the enjoyment of everyone around him. SBC's works are tempered by the fact that the segments are only a few minutes long so if one's particularly hideous it's skippable.

neosloth posted:

Right?

The same guy who wrote the self-published memoirs and self-help books, with all of their broken flow and questionable grammar, despite the fact that outside of his own mind he hadn't actually accomplished anything of note in his life? Which is also the same guy who thought those half-baked photoshops where he's mugging it up with Garfield were a good idea?

At least Jim Davis really was self-aware enough to never do that even in the back pages of his books at the height of his successes. Nathen from the start has been all about making himself as big a "star" as possible.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

Agent Escalus posted:

The same guy who wrote the self-published memoirs and self-help books, with all of their broken flow and questionable grammar, despite the fact that outside of his own mind he hadn't actually accomplished anything of note in his life?

EXCUSE ME SIR. I’ll have you know that Nathen is the worlds youngest Canadian Garfield franchisee thank you very much.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

He's self aware in the sense of, "the internet mocks me so I'm going to give them what they want and play up a character". It's not self aware in that his true, awful character is blatantly shining through this "act" he's putting on.

I'm not even aware of anyone knowing about Nathen outside of this thread. I never see him posted anywhere else!

I'm beginning to think "Love me, feed me, don't leave me" was a cry for help

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Nathen's humor reminds me of instagram thots that think they're funny because guys that want to bang them laugh at their terrible jokes but also they're too self-conscious about image to ever make themselves look vulnerable or insecure for the sake of a joke. Everything he does is just self-aggrandising, like "haha I am such a terrible boss (it's funny because I am actually a great boss!)" and everyone just smiles and nods because they want some of his failson bux.

Especially with his repeated references to his youth, he's someone that is either going to crumble hard as soon as they start aging or enter Dan Nainan-esque denial about being a 50 year-old claiming to be a millennial.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I think my favorite thing in the video is Nathen talking about how much he loves to talk to his customers and then rolling his eyes at them as soon as they start talking to him

neosloth fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 13, 2021

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

neosloth posted:

I think my favorite thing in the video is Nathen talking about how much he loves to talk to his customers and then rolling his eyes at them as soon as they start talking to him

Talking to him about how much they love Garfield

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I busted myself for this cat for 4 years

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
My buddy and I were watching the GarfDoc and he was giving me his play by play and I think he nailed it.

“Seeing/hearing Nathen move and speak and interact with the world is like watching a panic attack moving deliberately towards you down an overlit hallway”

“Nathen triggers my fight or flight response. Like I didn’t know someone’s personality could be in the uncanny valley.”

“With trump it’s like “oh that’s an rear end in a top hat, I’ve seen an rear end in a top hat before. Nathen is like what I’d imagine talking to a demon is like“

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Nathen only takes care of himself. That’s why the cat didn’t take care of him.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Line Em Up.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

neosloth posted:

I like how he completely gets taken in by a close up magician who proceeds to buy nothing

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Nathen, you need to listen to me. Please do not eat Garfield.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Oh my god

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I watched like 5 minutes of this.

The while thing is obviously manufactured where Mazri just wanted to be Steve Carrell in the Office. I don’t think there’s anything else to the analysis other than there is something mentally wrong with Mazri. Or he can live in his own little world. One of the two.

....maybe both?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

This is physically painful to watch.

I can only hope those employees get some kind of positive internet fame out of this that they can use to better their lives, because they deserve it after having been entergaged by this man.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I don't think Nathen is actually like any of this when it comes to running the business but it does feel like this is another narcissistic exercise where he paid an independent local director to film and edit this show so he'd know what it was like to star in a reality series.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

i couldn't believe this was real

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I finally finished the drat thing after drinking a couple beers. I did laugh at that hole comment. But wow. He also does say “holy gently caress!” A couple of times in the video, right? I wasn’t hallucinating?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Love me. Feed me. Eat me.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I felt Nathen's self-awareness in this is somewhere between Tommy Wiseau's and Steve Sutton's. Not sure which way I would have preferred it to go, honestly. Either leaning into this forever or immediately going back to his normal self both seem like bad choices

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Yeah painful to watch but I'll guiltily sit through the next episode (and the rest of them). Nathen sure channels a lot of irony. Like that classic post about the FYADer who turned schizo, but he's constantly thinking "Garfield balls" or something. There's a quick reference in the video to him stashing his pills (Ghod knows I'm not gonna watch it again to give the time). Ironic joke? Who knows. It could explain a bit, if it were true.

And it seems bizarre that this video series is being released at all since the GarfEats storefront went under.

As with Doobie followers back in the day, I reckon most of his social media followers would be in it for the shitshow. And who can blame them.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 13, 2021

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
What I don't think has been addressed is what impact during one's formative years Garfield would have. Like, was it anyone's favourite cartoon? I hardly remember anything about it at all. What would speak to someone other than that tag-line he keeps mentioning?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Most people probably liked it well enough growing up, with a few people really getting into it for one reason or another.

I think Nathen was really into Garfield, which is why it was his first choice in building his entergagement empire created by the smartest and youngest entrepreneur in Canadian history. Of course, since it failed due to Covid ravaging the take-out industry and the nefarious plotting of evil landmonsters, Nathen has realized the key to running a successful restaurant is using a cartoon dog instead of a cartoon cat, because he is a very smart and very youngest entrepreneur.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dr. Quarex posted:

I felt Nathen's self-awareness in this is somewhere between Tommy Wiseau's and Steve Sutton's.

This feels like an insult to both Tommy Wiseau and Steve Sutton. Steve was a dude whose thing was the very early internet idea of just putting your life on a website in a way that criticism and self-awareness becomes irrelevant. Tommy Wiseau, meanwhile, had enough of a personality to scheme his way to funding an entire professional(ish) movie production himself, which means he somehow convinced strangers to give him a couple million in disposable income.

Nathen couldn't manage either of these things.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Feb 13, 2021

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
There's something very weird about a guy trying to run a single independent pizza shop like a mcdonalds franchise with hard rules and guidelines about branding and layout.

I mean that's far from the weirdest part but still.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

goldenninjawarrior posted:

There's something very weird about a guy trying to run a single independent pizza shop like a mcdonalds franchise with hard rules and guidelines about branding and layout.

He thinks he’s a genius who is founding the next McDonald’s but landmonsters and evil google reviewers (customers) are conspiring to destroy his dream. It’d be sad if he wasn’t a rich entitled selfish moron.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

pseudanonymous posted:

It’d be sad if he wasn’t a rich entitled selfish moron.

This right here.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

goldenninjawarrior posted:

It’s also weird to think that anyone but him bought that OPEN sign that he hated so much. Like, the manager really went out and got that with her corporate card? Lol

You even see him setting up the power strip for it earlier, before saying it looks ugly

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Michelle needs to read the loving Garf Manual for fucks sake.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

So what stood out for me from that quote about what he did on a regular basis was that he mentioned dealing with issues with suppliers and Iandlords and "even" customers.

Like it might have been poor phrasing but it comes off as arrogant. He continuously praised the Garfield community but not so much his clientèle.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 13, 2021

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

Lt. Cock posted:

Michelle needs to read the loving Garf Manual for fucks sake.

She needs to leak it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Peanut Butter posted:

She needs to leak it

It looked like a prop to me. I noticed right away that Nathan was careful to not open it facing the camera. I bet it's just blank pages in there, or maybe he scrawled ENTERGAGE in orange sharpie on each page during a manic episode.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Ya think new employees had to (re-?)learn about Garfield when they got hired? Or was it like whatever re: the cat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
14. We do not speak about whom?

A. Nermal
B. Arlene
C. President James A. Garfield
D. Lyman