Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kunabomber posted:

newegg GPU bundles usually include a Z-tier PSU that has the tendency to explode

Those bad reviews are all recent, highly suspect and likely fraudulent to force a return. The customer reviews on other sites are mostly excellent.
If a PSU was exploding even 5% of the time it would have been recalled by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I like my current psu and motherboard just fine; I don't need another. My main gripe is about it being a form of tied selling, which is extremely lovely to do even under circumstances which would make it legal.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Kunabomber posted:

newegg GPU bundles usually include a Z-tier PSU that has the tendency to explode

Are those the MSIs that were getting bundled for a while? Every legit review I read or seen on those are actually quite positive other than some personal preference things like cable shapes and the like.

I think they're built from the same OEM that does other big name highly regarded psu so I'm not sure why those would be garbage.

I actually have one and quite like it. I haven't had it for very long though

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Since it looks like the easiest way to score a 3000 series card (w/o paying 2x MSRP) is buying a prebuilts, I'm hoping Compaq makes a comeback.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

Those bad reviews are all recent, highly suspect and likely fraudulent to force a return. The customer reviews on other sites are mostly excellent.

They're probably not great PSUs and you'd be a fool to run them close to their limit, but if you're just using them for a cheap second build file server or something they're probably serviceable.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

mA posted:

Since it looks like the easiest way to score a 3000 series card (w/o paying 2x MSRP) is buying a prebuilts, I'm hoping Compaq makes a comeback.

I'm hoping to get a gateway cow computer

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
A few pages back, but my company does container shipments out of China, our latest containers are running 23 days behind schedule on the boat alone. Production schedule slippage is on top of shipping delays.

And we just had to place deposits to ensure electronic components are made on time, which we've never had to do for our products (appliances).

This bullshit is affecting everything.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
From what I heard over here at work is that container shipping costs went from like 1500USD to 9000USD per container (at least at whoever ships our raw materials), just because everything's overbooked.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I've got a PNY XLR8 Gaming RTX 1660 Super I got from Best Buy a week ago I'd sell to somebody who has no other graphics. It's a smaller card with one fan but has good reviews, I got it for $340 which I admit sounds expensive, but what can you do.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Fauxtool posted:

Eh, I guess you haven't been following computer hardware for that long. In the mid-2000s, there were countless PSUs on the market that simply could never hope to deliver even their rated output, and would die, every time, by design. "800W" PSUs that could barely wheeze past 250 holding spec, for example.
You can probably find some old round-ups from quality sites like Jonny Guru, but you might have to go digging.
I think people also have forgotten that many cases simply came with PSUs, and most often those were of very dubious quality. If they didn't die at their rated load, they'd often be so far out of spec with regards to ripple that your system was unstable

vv I know that things are a lot better now, and although it's not PSU related; did you follow the NZXT H1 fire issue? That's fresh and recent, and NZXT was just hoping to toss people some nylon screws to cover up a serious design flaw, but long haired Steve kept at it until they issued a full recall

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 12, 2021

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HalloKitty posted:

Eh, I guess you haven't been following computer hardware for that long. In the mid-2000s, there were countless PSUs on the market that simply could never hope to deliver even their rated output, and would die, every time, by design. "800W" PSUs that could barely wheeze past 250 holding spec, for example

its not the mid 2000s and the current internet outrage machine would not permit a product from a major brand like that to exist.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/tomshardware/status/1360356456084738053?s=19

The shelves:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I bought a 3070 bundle with a Gigabyte PSU that is rated by the people who rate those things as 'unsafe'. Needless to say I got rid of that the same day my GPU arrived with it.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
I can't believe this 30-series nonsense is still going on. Or this crypto nonsense either for that matter. Well, unrelated to that I dug up this video for an LP I'm doing but I figure you GPU nerds will enjoy it.

Halo/Nvidia

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It feels like years ago that I checked if I had three PCI-e cables to connect to my sure-to-be impending GPU upgrade.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ufarn posted:

It feels like years ago that I checked if I had three PCI-e cables to connect to my sure-to-be impending GPU upgrade.

Yeah, sure looked like "more power efficient" was going to be the trend only ~2 years ago. WELP.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
lmao, I just checked to see how we are doing on the whole 12-pin cable rollout, and companies like Seasonic have already ended their free cable program.

Maybe next generation we'll try it again.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Nvidia just has to require that AIB's use 12 pin connectors and it'll be adopted over night.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
wrong thread.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Someone explain to me what trouble nvidia and Samsung are having again.

I understand AMD is stretched due to having to provide for its CPUs, GPUs, the PS5, and XBOX and they can't increase their share of TSMC's 7nm process.

What trouble are Samsung's fabs having? The thread was saying low yields awhile ago, but that's not looking like the case?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
There's nowhere close to enough fab capacity in the world to meet demand. There's less demand for Samsung 8nm, sure, but still far more than supply.

Also as far as Nvidia GPUs go, demand is astronomical. Supply levels are at least equivalent to the last few generations, but far more people want them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mA posted:

Legit why I almost bought a Falcon Northwest a few months ago but I decided I like doing the actual building too much.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

K8.0 posted:

There's nowhere close to enough fab capacity in the world to meet demand. There's less demand for Samsung 8nm, sure, but still far more than supply.

Also as far as Nvidia GPUs go, demand is astronomical. Supply levels are at least equivalent to the last few generations, but far more people want them.

I call bullshit on the 3080 supply Vs a 2080 or a 1080.

It started horrendous and never improved.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
steam hardware survey says the adoption rates are faster than 20xx

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

spunkshui posted:

Demand is the difference. You can't find them because they are getting bought. Tons of people on here have 3000 series cards and the usage numbers largely match previous releases.

There have definitely been some shipping issues and such but the overwhelmingly biggest difference is demand.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
sorry if this is more appropriate for the laptop thread, but does anyone have an opinion on a Ryzen's Vega iGPU versus Xe on a Tiger Lake versus an Ice Lake with an MX 350?

I'm not really looking for any heavy gaming, and I expect that the MX 350 is still going to be better than any iGPU just by dint of being a dedicated card with its dedicated VRAM even if it is a cut-down mobile 1050, but I've never really looked closely at how laptops fared in the GPU game so I'm looking for a more informed take.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

You have to wonder if it's possible for a videocard to be hardware locked from mining Ponzi coins.

Then you also have to wonder if it would make sense to do so (If it's even possible) in a Capitalist system.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why would nvidia or any AIB care? What incentive is there?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

sorry if this is more appropriate for the laptop thread, but does anyone have an opinion on a Ryzen's Vega iGPU versus Xe on a Tiger Lake versus an Ice Lake with an MX 350?

I'm not really looking for any heavy gaming, and I expect that the MX 350 is still going to be better than any iGPU just by dint of being a dedicated card with its dedicated VRAM even if it is a cut-down mobile 1050, but I've never really looked closely at how laptops fared in the GPU game so I'm looking for a more informed take.

1080p I assume? The new Xe is a pretty decent little chip tbh.

This is it running on a 720p device where it does really well imo.

https://youtu.be/8yHmx5sylMI

I have an 10th gen intel chip and it games at 720p pretty drat good.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It’s ultimately a supply problem because the manufacturers want to get more cards out there, not reduce demand for the existing supply.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

spunkshui posted:

Cryptocurrency mining is, in my opinion, the primary problem. It's far worse than it's been before.
It's now profitable to buy gaming laptops with high end NVIDIA cards in, and stack them on shelves for mining. Gaming laptops!! They've never been good value, so it really shows how much of a problem it is.
When Ethereum goes proof-of-stake, it might help, but that's not certain at all, as it could be they all pivot to another rising currency instead. But the profitability angle might change, so you might see the less profitable hardware dumped on to the market.

Of course there are other issues that plague supply chains right now, but as people have pointed out, the Steam hardware survey shows a similar percentage of people owning 3000 series cards as 1000 series cards at the same point in their lifecycles, crapping all over 2000 series adoption

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 13, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The mx350 kinds sucks. A vega8 goes back and forth against it. It has some advantage due to dedicated vram, but then loses it in old architecture. Xe is pretty similar to vega, both are surprisingly nice for integrated graphics, and the total power package when using only iGPU is impressive.

I probably wouldn't rely on any gaming outside basically mobile-level stuff like slay the spire and then like with those options though. Laptop graphics get really pretty good around the 1660 level and beyond though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lockback posted:

The mx350 kinds sucks. A vega8 goes back and forth against it. It has some advantage due to dedicated vram, but then loses it in old architecture. Xe is pretty similar to vega, both are surprisingly nice for integrated graphics, and the total power package when using only iGPU is impressive.

I probably wouldn't rely on any gaming outside basically mobile-level stuff like slay the spire and then like with those options though. Laptop graphics get really pretty good around the 1660 level and beyond though.

Thank you. I don't think I can justify the step-up to anything with a real dedicated GPU, so I will probably just get a Ryzen.

I do know that Warhammer Vermintide ran exceptionally well on my wife's Ryzen 3500U for something only running on an iGPU.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I played Borderlands 2 and a few other relatively newish games all the way through on my XPS 13 recently (UHD 630 I think?), newer integrated graphics are fine for older games/if you drop the settings a bit

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thank you. I don't think I can justify the step-up to anything with a real dedicated GPU, so I will probably just get a Ryzen.

I do know that Warhammer Vermintide ran exceptionally well on my wife's Ryzen 3500U for something only running on an iGPU.

Check the laptop thread. There's some decent deals to be had and if you have a bit of patience you might be able to snag a better gaming laptop than you realize for not terribly much.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Just sold my 3 year old heavily used 1080 for $450. This market is so stupid.

Nullset
Apr 21, 2010

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Just sold my 3 year old heavily used 1080 for $450. This market is so stupid.

I bought a used 1070 Ti for $430 on ebay 2 and a half years ago, and I just sold it today for $450. The whole thing is crazy.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Can I get some Fs in chat for my 1080ti. I was praying that the mb failed but swapping in a 780 worked ok. Died 2 months after the warranty expired and I wasn't planning on upgrading for another 2 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Nullset posted:

I bought a used 1070 Ti for $430 on ebay 2 and a half years ago, and I just sold it today for $450. The whole thing is crazy.

hard to explain a market where it has been profitable to buy up all of the SCALPED cards at times. if you bought all the scalped cards around christmas and held them like 3 weeks they almost all went up at least 50%

a number of my friends have gotten good deals on 1070 / 1070ti at the beginning of this upgrade cycle madness and could resell them for $150+ profit :eyepop: