Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I don't know how useful a power pole zip line will be but it's dope as hell.

Really like the sound design on the extractor too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

I don't know how useful a power pole zip line will be but it's dope as hell.

Really like the sound design on the extractor too.

If it isn't stopped by power polls is seems like a great way to move between facilities of there alone the same grid

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Power pole ziplines? Does that make hypertubes kind of superfluous? I have not watched the vid yet.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

Power pole ziplines? Does that make hypertubes kind of superfluous? I have not watched the vid yet.

I'm guessing it might be gravity dependent, it'd be kind of goofy if you could zip up a nearly vertical power line.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

I'm guessing it might be gravity dependent, it'd be kind of goofy if you could zip up a nearly vertical power line.

Ziplines in coffee stain’s other current fun game “deep rock galactic” let you go up albeit a lot slower (that game also rules but really just with a group)

I watched all of the Let’s Game It Out Satisfactory vids last night and goddamn hilarious. It will be interesting seeing if anything can be done with nuclear waste.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

priznat posted:

Ziplines in coffee stain’s other current fun game “deep rock galactic” let you go up albeit a lot slower (that game also rules but really just with a group)

If it works the same way, I'd guess that the ziplines vs hypertubes would be a matter of convenience.

Ziplines are effectively free but take a while to get you somewhere, hypertubes are much faster but has a material cost for each line you build.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

I watched all of the Let’s Game It Out Satisfactory vids last night and goddamn hilarious. It will be interesting seeing if anything can be done with nuclear waste.

fwiw Coffee Stain is only publishing Deep Rock. Also, you are somewhat limited on the angle you can put ziplines.

I'm just thinking in the context of Satisfactory - power lines can get pretty goofy, I wouldn't be surprised if the zip tool won't follow them perfectly.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Trying to picture what happens when you zipline down to a Mk3 pole with 10 connections and failing

I "finished" the game and picked up some mods and the Powersuit one that lets you stack a bunch of jetpacks has probably spoiled me for mobility in the vanilla game

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Oxyclean posted:

The zipline tool having electric sparks when it opens up makes me think it's "powered", as an excuse for being able to go upwards as well.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Trying to picture what happens when you zipline down to a Mk3 pole with 10 connections and failing

I'm betting that:
a) you stop an the end of each wire connection, so even with a single line of wires you'd hit each pole and stop
b) you have a pretty generous "snap to" distance -- in the trailer the person walks over to right below the line like a normal zipline, but what if you could click at a line and grapple to it from a little ways away?

These two bits together would make the zipline work like a spiderman game. Grapple to a line, zip along, jump off before hitting the pole, and grapple to another line mid-air.

This means the hypertube still has a place (effort-free transport), and the zipline is good for getting around subsidiary locations or inside a base when it's not worth building a hypertube.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I was thinking about it too and hypertubes are useful for goin in/out of buildings with the wall holes and also useful for travelling between floors!

Although lately I have an inner structure surrounded by walkways with ramps and then an outer shell mostly due to the influence of watching Scalti videos.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I'm still trying to figure the game out, about 10 hours in. Getting onto the more complex recipes now. If I need to make, say, modular frames, do I want to build that entirely from an iron node, making all the prerequisites on site, or do I want to do more of a Factorio thing, have a big e.g. iron rod factory somewhere nearby and bring it in from there?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Someone else can address the question directly (although I make them onsite with a factory making all the components near an iron ore deposit) but definitely hunt around for hard drives to research to get alternative recipes early on, the bolted frame one is super fast for cranking out modular frames!

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

priznat posted:

Someone else can address the question directly (although I make them onsite with a factory making all the components near an iron ore deposit) but definitely hunt around for hard drives to research to get alternative recipes early on, the bolted frame one is super fast for cranking out modular frames!

Funnily enough I do have that one, along with the casted screw recipe. I tried putting it all into that satisfactory calculator site and it makes such a huge tangle that my mind does little flips.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

Funnily enough I do have that one, along with the casted screw recipe. I tried putting it all into that satisfactory calculator site and it makes such a huge tangle that my mind does little flips.

Yeah I just use a spreadsheet for keeping the numbers for max efficiency, but nothing special just a glorified scratch pad. The problem I find with that calculator site is you set the output rate which can either make it very simple (ie too low) or overly complex if you go for a higher number.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr Snofeld posted:

I'm still trying to figure the game out, about 10 hours in. Getting onto the more complex recipes now. If I need to make, say, modular frames, do I want to build that entirely from an iron node, making all the prerequisites on site, or do I want to do more of a Factorio thing, have a big e.g. iron rod factory somewhere nearby and bring it in from there?

The full factorio main bus doesn't work very well, in that you will need things like rods or screws everywhere, and some of them (screws) are needed in enough quantity that long-distance transport is just silly.

So in general IMO when building a complex item, you want to build as much of the component ingredients locally as possible. For something like modular frame that's 100% iron that's easy: build everything on site. For things that use two resources it's best to look around to find somewhere where the two resouces are near each other. But when you get into more complex stuff, it's an open choice. Transport raw resources? Build some parts in location a and the rest in location b? Explore until you find an area where there the 4 resources you need are all together? Build a train network and go full logistics? All are valid.

There are many possible ways to do organize things in satisfactory. There isn't nearly as much need for hyper-optimization as factorio, so there's a lot of room for personal preference.

And while you're still early, don't worry about building something perfect. Until you have a couple factories under your belt it's difficult to know the right scale and balance of ingredients you need, so it's very difficult to make things that will be long-term useful. You will almost certainly tear down (or just abandon) your initial factories later on.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So, this is super weird, but has anyone noticed a single rock, at the bottom of the ramp that goes up to the oil patch in the north west of the map that doesn't render until you're like, 5-10 yards of it? I kept driving into it so I built a shrine around the amazing invisible rock.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A Moose posted:

So, this is super weird, but has anyone noticed a single rock, at the bottom of the ramp that goes up to the oil patch in the north west of the map that doesn't render until you're like, 5-10 yards of it? I kept driving into it so I built a shrine around the amazing invisible rock.

That may be one of the rocks you can fix with foliage.LODDistanceScale set to something above 1. That setting pushes out the range at which trees and rocks get drawn, but also affects building LOD so it's got performance downsides.

(Also no, I have no idea which rock you're talking about because there are dozens of paths that make "ramps" in the Canyons and you could be talking about any of them.)

And for weird rocks, there's an "inside out" rock near the pure coal deposit on the eastern edge of North Forest. It's got it's geometry normals reversed, so it's invisible from the outside. But if you step in it you get stuck, because there's collision on the inside keeping you trapped.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

There is a rock next to a copper deposit on the top of a short spire in the NW by a good coal plant site that I walk into the geometry of every time but you can get back out. It’s near the cave that has leafy vines around the entrance and a poo poo ton of spiders in there.

Good spot for a steel plant and with the copper can make wire for stators etc!

I want the update to drop so I can get back into it I’ve kind of lost interest right now.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

priznat posted:

There is a rock next to a copper deposit on the top of a short spire in the NW by a good coal plant site that I walk into the geometry of every time but you can get back out. It’s near the cave that has leafy vines around the entrance and a poo poo ton of spiders in there.

Good spot for a steel plant and with the copper can make wire for stators etc!

I want the update to drop so I can get back into it I’ve kind of lost interest right now.

I never used that copper spot because I set all the steel production up before I needed stators and I never think ahead. Instead, I belted all steel products from there, all the way south across the geothermal area, over to near the waterfall wheremy primary base is (I kinda started in the default northwest desert area) until I finally made a train. That is a super handy spot to get crystal too

I need to look for that rock now

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

A Moose posted:

I never used that copper spot because I set all the steel production up before I needed stators and I never think ahead. Instead, I belted all steel products from there, all the way south across the geothermal area, over to near the waterfall wheremy primary base is (I kinda started in the default northwest desert area) until I finally made a train. That is a super handy spot to get crystal too

I need to look for that rock now

If you get up to the top just below the copper deposit it is just on the side towards the water where there is a seam of two rocks, sort of. Every time I try to jump up there to climb up to the deposit and every time I get confused that I just slip into the rock :haw:

I eventually just put a ramp there!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
My train broke and I can't figure out how to fix it.

It's the simplest train line you can imagine. Terminal style. Two stations, two freight cars, two locomotives on either side of the freight cars shuttling back and forth. I wanted to add a third freight car. Now the locomotives often display No Power when I get in them (this is spotty and I can't nail down what exactly the conditions are that cause this), and the second locomotive won't snap to the freight cars. The pre-construction ghost just floats freely on the track, like so

Actually that's spotty too--sometimes I can construct some freight cars, sometimes nothing snaps, etc. It's a nightmare, mostly because it seems completely inconsistent. I've tried demolishing and rebuilding the stations. Please help.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Been playing this with a friend and while I love the first 4 tiers(except for vehicles which are basically useless as far as I can tell), the higher tiers seem rather unconnected and more like 'here is a thing, bye'. Hoping future updates make tiers 5 & 6 a bit better.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Ben Nerevarine posted:

It's the simplest train line you can imagine. Terminal style. Two stations, two freight cars, two locomotives on either side of the freight cars shuttling back and forth. I wanted to add a third freight car. Now the locomotives often display No Power when I get in them (this is spotty and I can't nail down what exactly the conditions are that cause this), and the second locomotive won't snap to the freight cars. The pre-construction ghost just floats freely on the track, like so

Actually that's spotty too--sometimes I can construct some freight cars, sometimes nothing snaps, etc. It's a nightmare, mostly because it seems completely inconsistent. I've tried demolishing and rebuilding the stations. Please help.

Delete the power cord and reattach. If that doesnt work, delete and rebuild the train stations and reconnect the rails. Dont assume they are snapping to previously laid rails.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

ZombieCrew posted:

Delete the power cord and reattach. If that doesnt work, delete and rebuild the train stations and reconnect the rails. Dont assume they are snapping to previously laid rails.

Thanks. I ended up rebuilding all of the freight platforms at both terminals and that seems to have done the trick. I'm guessing one of them wasn't connected up properly, keeping the whole thing from being one contiguous line. Trains, man.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ben Nerevarine posted:

1. Unbuild the entire old train. Trains can have bugs when the track has changed and they somehow don't update or something like that. If I have a train that's doing anything weird, delete and rebuild is always my first step.
2. Try building your train on a stretch of track outside the stations -- sometimes the snap attachment doesn't work properly when the train is going across multiple rail segments.

If the train still has problems after that, you've probably got something messed up something with the rail / stations and didn't do enough teardown to find it. Overlapping normal rail and platform rail would be my guess if you were expanding your stations.

edit welp way too late, but sounds like you had overlapping rail in that case

Peachfart posted:

Been playing this with a friend and while I love the first 4 tiers(except for vehicles which are basically useless as far as I can tell), the higher tiers seem rather unconnected and more like 'here is a thing, bye'. Hoping future updates make tiers 5 & 6 a bit better.
Tiers 5 & 6 are pretty much locked in now, though it looks like the products will have a more integrated use in the revamped tiers for update 4.

Oil stuff kinda stands on its own in 5 & 6 because just building a good, productive oil refinery system is the challenge they're laying down. The logistics element is dialed back because the focus shifts to dealing with byproducts.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I was running everything off petroleum coke when I stopped playing until the update. I had overflow going to an awesome sink to keep production moving. I’m guessing this wasn’t going to stay sustainable for long and I would need to start using turbofuel or something.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Brain Curry posted:

I was running everything off petroleum coke when I stopped playing until the update. I had overflow going to an awesome sink to keep production moving. I’m guessing this wasn’t going to stay sustainable for long and I would need to start using turbofuel or something.

Yeah, to make oil products in high quantity you need to get into alt recipes, because throwing all your byproduct into the trash isn't very productive.

That's not to say that you have to have all the alternates and go 100% :spergin: on the maximum efficient production system. But a fairly modest refinery setup using just 2 alternates (recycled plastic, recycled rubber) gets you a lot more output by turning heavy oil into more plastic & rubber.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I really love the circuit board recipe that lets you make them strictly out of oil products without having to cart any external ingredients in, even if it isn't particularly efficient

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Clark Nova posted:

I really love the circuit board recipe that lets you make them strictly out of oil products without having to cart any external ingredients in, even if it isn't particularly efficient

Electrode Circuit Boards, or something. I wanna marry that alt: there are a few decent oil deposits with copper convenient which I've seen exploring the map but I have not even once built out both the oil and the copper in those areas. So convenient to kickstart your first can-fed electronics builds while you're tubing back and forth setting up oil and trains!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
When I was playing my first game multiplayer, my friend built a computer factory using electrode circuit board + caterium computer. He did it on the oil islands (where there's a caterium node just across the water from the islands), so it was using nothing but oil and caterium and no long-range transport.

Like half the oil of the whole drat islands went into a single computer manufacturer. So yeah --

Clark Nova posted:

even if it isn't particularly efficient
-- you could say that.

(As a temporary setup to make a box of circuit boards I can see using it. Silicon circuit boards is much better though, there are a bunch of places where quartz and copper are relatively close together so it's not that difficult to use. More importantly it's a recipe that's useful long term.)

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Started setting the foundation for a megabase. Got the outline for a 100x100 foundation in the northeast desert. (Which may change according to a dev video? Why would sand dunes need more stuff there?) Then i realized I need to build miners on all the nodes im about to cover. Then i realized i need waaay more power for this project. Then i started the framework for a turbofuel powerstation. Then i started clearing the bad guys from the oil nodes in the north sea.

What a shitshow. So three hours later and all i have to show for it is some body parts and a couple of partially laid foundations. Sometimes this game is relaxing and superfun. Sometimes I reach too far and attempt too much which frustrates me. I know its all on me, but i just wanted to vent a bit. Lovin the game overall.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can build miners on foundation tiles, but there's a limit to it. Just experiment with the thickness until you get it.. you can bury the resource node 1-3 meters and be fine.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ZombieCrew posted:

megabase

three hours later

uh.... you may want to recalibrate your expectations for how much time the big builds can take.

The need to do six preliminary projects in the midst of one bigger project is often annoying. But it's also the major gameplay loop of this genre of logistics / project management game.

ZombieCrew posted:

the northeast desert. (Which may change according to a dev video? Why would sand dunes need more stuff there?)

I think it's the big mesas that will change -- right now they're flat and empty on top, they're gonna add some stuff up there eventually. The dune areas are done.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
A Factorio any% speedrun with 8 players took an hour. And I think Satisfactory is a significantly slower game than Factorio.

Just some perspective.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Klyith posted:

uh.... you may want to recalibrate your expectations for how much time the big builds can take.

The need to do six preliminary projects in the midst of one bigger project is often annoying. But it's also the major gameplay loop of this genre of logistics / project management game.

I think it's the big mesas that will change -- right now they're flat and empty on top, they're gonna add some stuff up there eventually. The dune areas are done.

Thats good to know. Ill continue where im at. I wasnt expecting to make a ton of headway on the massive project. I was complaining to complain. Still love the game. Thanks for the heads up on the area. That makes sense since those top areas do look unfinished.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hoping for some kind if teleporter transport in the update because once you get a big spread of factory areas just getting around can take a bit!

I don’t think it has been teased though so probably not a thing.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Klyith posted:

For real. 3 hours to get the resources to the area and the initial foundations setup is more like my speed.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

priznat posted:

Hoping for some kind if teleporter transport in the update because once you get a big spread of factory areas just getting around can take a bit!

I don’t think it has been teased though so probably not a thing.

I would expect a teleporter to get put in somewhere in tier 9/10. Seems like the kind of soft-sci-fi thing that would use SAM ore or the alien artifacts. Given the popularity of hypertube cannons I'm sure it's on the studio's radar to put in something similar in a way that doesn't require the game to load most of the entire map geometry at once.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB0g5OlelFM

Power storage is gonna be coming and this looks good, being able to have a cushion on spikes. Makes me wonder when we unlock it, would make it not quite so vital to get coal if your spare bioburner power gets saved up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
In a game without solar or wind farms, having capacitors to store power makes a little less sense, especially once you learn how to underclock generators to match your production levels.