Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I feel like this whole chapter is going to be an excuse for a bunch of hella cool imagery that Abaddon's spent the last five years thinking up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

IMJack posted:

Maiden, Mother, Crone

Yeah, this is a dope as hell envisioning of that concept.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, this is a dope as hell envisioning of that concept.

A bit more badass than the Gunnerkrigg Court rendition but no less striking

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Duodecimal posted:

Spinner, Weaver, Cutter was my first thought. The Fates.

And about to Bind Jagganoth with Fate itself I reckon. You literally cannot escape Fate, after all.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Zero_Tactility posted:

How is this comic just consistently the coolest poo poo?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

IMJack posted:

Maiden, Mother, Crone

Maidom, Mottom, Crom

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

IMJack posted:

Maiden, Mother, Crone
That was my first thought as well.

Zero_Tactility posted:

How is this comic just consistently the coolest poo poo?
I don’t know but it’s loving magical.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

MikeJF posted:

I feel like this whole chapter comic is going to be an excuse for a bunch of hella cool imagery that Abaddon's spent the last five years thinking up.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Mottom is loving this poo poo!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

GunnerJ posted:

Mottom is loving this poo poo!

Yeah, the alt text is "Mottom only gets to bust this one out every few thousand years so she's understandably stoked." I'm stoked too, Granny.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, the alt text is "Mottom only gets to bust this one out every few thousand years so she's understandably stoked." I'm stoked too, Granny.

To be a huge dork about this, this establishes Mottom has been an apocalyptic sorceress for long enough to have 'every few thousand years' make sense.

So the reign of the New Gods is crushingly long. Multiple times the length of urban civilization on Earth.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I'm still giggling about Mottom's Bottom

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
NEVER TALK TO ME, MYSELF OR I AGAIN!
/

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

dope

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It would be kinda hilarious if it turns out the thing Abbadon was talking about that would make everyone mad is in fact Jagg getting beaten pretty quickly by the other demiurges now that they're working together to some extent after getting built up so heavily by the comic prior to this

Even more so if this turned out to be Jagg's plan the whole time to setup something even bigger

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

It would be kinda hilarious if it turns out the thing Abbadon was talking about that would make everyone mad is in fact Jagg getting beaten pretty quickly by the other demiurges now that they're working together to some extent after getting built up so heavily by the comic prior to this

Even more so if this turned out to be Jagg's plan the whole time to setup something even bigger

Jagg is defeated so they all squabble over the key and then realize Allison is right over there.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

drrockso20 posted:

i really don't believe, based on the comic so far, that Operant is interested in telling the kind of story where a glancing interaction with the hero's golden heart and indomitable will automagically converts/redeems thousand-year despots into protagonists. the fact that half the thread is now cheering them on because they pulled out some flashy combo moves to oppose the one other force in the comic really intent on disrupting what's portrayed as an utterly rotten system is evidence enough, i m o, that jagg is if not 100% in the right here definitely an ally in her holy mission to expunge the demons that Allison will be made to rue rejecting

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 13, 2021

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Oh no I still think all six of the other demiurges are gonna die here. But they will all get a full page named anime attack out of it before they get murdered and the story moves on.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

HookedOnChthonics posted:

i really don't believe, based on the comic so far, that Operant is interested in telling the kind of story where a glancing interaction with the hero's golden heart and indomitable will automagically converts/redeems thousand-year despots into protagonists. the fact that half the thread is now cheering them on because they pulled out some flashy combo moves to oppose the one other force in the comic really intent on disrupting what's portrayed as an utterly rotten system is evidence enough, i m o, that jagg is if not 100% in the right here definitely an ally in her holy mission to expunge the demons that Allison will be made to rue rejecting

Jagg is definitely not 100% in the right. If you think that the comic is going to suddenly endorse Hard Men Making Hard Decisions (to kill a ton of innocent people as idle collateral damage) then you have not been paying attention. Jagg is definitely right that the system is fundamentally corrupt, but he's still a part of it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Captain Oblivious posted:

Jagg is definitely not 100% in the right. If you think that the comic is going to suddenly endorse Hard Men Making Hard Decisions (to kill a ton of innocent people as idle collateral damage) then you have not been paying attention.

Hard Men Making Hard Decisions (to kill a ton of innocent people as idle collateral damage) describes the people fighting Jagg just as much as it describes Jagg.

Mottom was introduced having killed a ton of innocent people as just the price of her doing demigod business.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 13, 2021

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

The conversation with zoss was about how none of the demiurges could ever be correct or worth allying with. Participating in the system of "killing to amass singular power" will ruin any ambition, even if its heroic.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

The demiurges are awful monsters that need to be taken down, but they've got some really cool wizard kung fu.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Jaggs is the villain lol

The other demiurges are also villains, but he's absolutely not on Allison's side. Y'know, like how he responded to her asking why he killed a bunch of innocent civilians by saying "they're better off dead help me kill everyone else"

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

aegof posted:

The demiurges are awful monsters that need to be taken down, but they've got some really cool wizard kung fu.

So it's impossible to say if they're bad or not

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Schwarzwald posted:

Hard Men Making Hard Decisions (to kill a ton of innocent people as idle collateral damage) describes the people fighting Jagg just as much as it describes Jagg.

Mottom was introduced having killed a ton of innocent people as just the price of her doing demigod business.

Yes? Thus the meaning of the part of the quote you snipped. Jagganoth is part of the system he protests against, whatever he may believe.

If he succeeds he will just slam head first into the same problem Zoss did.

Every single one of them including Jagganoth is an obstacle to meaningful change.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

skaianDestiny posted:

Jaggs is the villain lol

The other demiurges are also villains, but he's absolutely not on Allison's side. Y'know, like how he responded to her asking why he killed a bunch of innocent civilians by saying "they're better off dead help me kill everyone else"

yeop

as the demiurge bearer of the word Blade, jaggs' only answer is annihilation. his limited view of the solution to the existential quandary posed by zoss doesn't make his solution any more viable

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
They have power, but not strength beyond strength.

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

..zoekend naar draadnagels bij laag tij.
Jaggs is a villain just as Salami Dave is a villain. They are both architects of the same system and responsible for the corruption of that system. Both are set in their ways and see no way out except the narrow path they set for themselves. Dave has no out and Jaggs wants to burn it to the ground because he sees no ways to redeem it. Because of this are limited in what they can achieve. Mottom on the other hand is unchained, which is cool to see, but i feel like she's burning out and has no place in this world after this is done. Same as Mammon in a way. They both woke up and they're not going back to the prisons they created for themselves. Unlike Dave who would go back, but probably can't after this is over.

Alison has on multiple occasions rejected to follow in their footsteps and has shown willingness to change. She refused Mottons offer, she refused to step in when she lost in the Tournament and White Chain had to fight alone. She denied herself the power Incubus gave her. She walked away in Mammon's Vault. I don't know what her goals might be after this, but so far she's been willing to change her goals and reflect on what's she's been willing to do to achieve those goals. She's everything the Demiurges are not.

I'm still worried about the Concordance of Angels though. We haven't seen them in this fight and we know they are gathering. If Michael 2 seizes this moment to restore the old order then there will be (more) bloodshed. If Jaggs isn't in an alliance with the Concordance then they won't hesitate exploiting this situation for their own agenda.

I really like this comic. It has thrown me for a loop on multiple occasions and it never felt trite or a cliche. Abadon is really good at what he does. The development of themes, politics, worldbuilding and characters really is excellent. And the loving artwork is fantastic. AND IT'S FREE!

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

a big part of this is that we haven't gotten any characterization at all on what the red army is like, where operant definitely uses an examination of the system a ruler perpetuates as character development for them, and i'm projecting righteous rejection of the 7's status quo and/or metatron's awful scheming onto them

we've seen life under mottom (sucks hardcore), mammon (sucks hardcore), soldave (sucks hardcore), incubus (sucks hardcore, literally), and gog (owns (because you're worms))—all we have on jagg's folks is that they really, really believe in his mission. if it turns out that they're a bunch of mindless berserker fighting-for-fightings' sake dudes i;ll happily acknowledge my mistake but rn it seems likely to me that he has stumbled on the cause of Justice if only as a broken-clock-twice-right kind of thing

but right now jagganoth's status as 'obvious big bad' is solely an informed characteristic as related to us by his enemies

i don't think nuking rayuba is good, but i also think it's totally explicable within jagg's understanding of how death and life work within metatron's cosmos (ie a totally meaningless division, and given what we know about the cosmic order of things is he really wrong???). i think its precise role in the story is giving allison a 'legitimate' reason to oppose him here, when their goals ultimately will align closely (like does anyone think allison will end up not fighting michael and metatron??? really?????)

the jadis cultists are similarly a mystery, who the gently caress knows what her deal is

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Draadnagel posted:

She denied herself the power Incubus gave her.

While I broadly agree with you, if not in detail, she absolutely hasn't done this. She just got her ambition under control - she still trains with Incubus.

Incubus is still the one to watch, because like Jagganoth he expected this rotten order to collapse eventually and planned for it. Like Jagganoth, he sees that the world is rotten - in fact, he's the character that first said 'this rotten world' when he was exhorting Allison to recognize that violence is the only thing that matters, because violence is inescapable and all things can be undone by it. Which, incidentally, appears to be a major part of Jagganoth's problem with the universe: That violence is inescapable, and those who can do great violence can undo anything else.

Allison, on the other hand, is someone we know is capable of recognizing that something sucks without either being overtaken by it or deciding that any price (paid mostly by other people) is worthwhile to deal with it. She's the real change to the cycle, and what that will look like we don't know yet, but I'm reasonably certain that it's going to look something like 'a better world is possible' - the antithesis of both Incubus and Jagganoths' perspectives, and generally an alien view to the Seven.

Incubus is interesting because he might be capable of recognizing that, but he'll never accept it. He can't stand losing, nor being potentially proven wrong. He also has Maya bearing down on him, which is going to be exciting.

As for Jagganoth vs. the Seven, I think choosing between the world dying fast vs. dying slow, I'd prefer slow but I would prefer neither more than anything else. If Jagganoth were right that no better world was possible, then maybe multiversal megadeath could be a mercy, but he's transparently wrong.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

a big part of this is that we haven't gotten any characterization at all on what the red army is like, where operant definitely uses an examination of the system a ruler perpetuates as character development for them, and i'm projecting righteous rejection of the 7's status quo and/or metatron's awful scheming onto them

we've seen life under mottom (sucks hardcore), mammon (sucks hardcore), soldave (sucks hardcore), incubus (sucks hardcore, literally), and gog (owns (because you're worms))—all we have on jagg's folks is that they really, really believe in his mission. if it turns out that they're a bunch of mindless berserker fighting-for-fightings' sake dudes i;ll happily acknowledge my mistake but rn it seems likely to me that he has stumbled on the cause of Justice if only as a broken-clock-twice-right kind of thing

but right now jagganoth's status as 'obvious big bad' is solely an informed characteristic as related to us by his enemies

i don't think nuking rayuba is good, but i also think it's totally explicable within jagg's understanding of how death and life work within metatron's cosmos (ie a totally meaningless division, and given what we know about the cosmic order of things is he really wrong???). i think its precise role in the story is giving allison a 'legitimate' reason to oppose him here, when their goals ultimately will align closely (like does anyone think allison will end up not fighting michael and metatron??? really?????)

the jadis cultists are similarly a mystery, who the gently caress knows what her deal is

We know that Abbadon once said he'd prefer to live in the Celestial Empire of Solomon David, compared to any of the other domains. Including Jagganoth's worlds. Make of that what you will.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

i mean a lot of people would prefer the experience of a german citizen 1939-45 than a polish partisan in the same timeframe, just saying

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

They are. Some of Jagg's most ardent followers only follow him because they couldn't kill him. They're blood thirsty berserkers.

People following Jaggs do so because they want to kill people and then kill themselves once they're done.

Oh yeah, we actually do have characterization for one of Jagg's followers:

I'm sure he's the thoughtful revolutionary you're imagining.

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 14, 2021

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

i mean a lot of people would prefer the experience of a german citizen 1939-45 than a polish partisan in the same timeframe, just saying

Polish partisans don't want to kill all Polish people.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
You're trying to shoehorn Jaggs into "noble warrior fighting against the tyranny of the system" but he's actually "literally kill everyone because the very act of existing is suffering."

His solution to the problem that there's homeless people? Kill the homeless people.

Orphans? Kill the orphans (maybe raise them into warriors like himself so they can kill more people).

Women's rights? Kill all the women.

Racism? Can't be racism if everyone's equal (dead).

Gay marriage? Under Jaggs, you can be with whomever you love (which is six feet underground, dead).

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
If I ask you "hey, the system doesn't allow me, a girl, to marry my girlfriend, what is your plan to fix it?" and your answer is "I'll shoot you both in the head so you don't have to suffer" you're probably not gonna be on Allison's side.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

seems like a p skewed evaluation of the stakes of the conflict!

skaianDestiny posted:

They are. Some of Jagg's most ardent followers only follow him because they couldn't kill him. They're blood thirsty berserkers.

People following Jaggs do so because they want to kill people and then kill themselves once they're done.

Oh yeah, we actually do have characterization for one of Jagg's followers:

I'm sure he's the thoughtful revolutionary you're imagining.

counterpoint: maya's 'apprentice' is a red army soldier, right? she definitely doesnt fit the mindless edgelord mold

and all of mammon's followers are apparently people who tried to kill him out of a base instinct for greed, failed, and had that failure catalyze into appreciation for him and devotion to his cause. i think until we're shown explicit contradictory evidence we can assume the same of jagg's folks—that they're focused on his divine calling, which the other demiurges can only process as bloodlust because it so violently contravenes their interests

i dont know how anyone reads the yuan ten jantris segments with anything other than compassion, and that plus jagg's opposition to metatron (who im sure you wont deny is bad news) combined with the earlier depictions of jagg as solely and pointedly pensive, depressed, and dissatisfied with the prime evil of the story (the pact of the seven part world) vs every other demiurge's gleeful pursuit of power............... i guess end of the day i trust operant to tell a satisfying story :)

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 14, 2021

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

skaianDestiny posted:

You're trying to shoehorn Jaggs into "noble warrior fighting against the tyranny of the system" but he's actually "literally kill everyone because the very act of existing is suffering."

His solution to the problem that there's homeless people? Kill the homeless people.

Orphans? Kill the orphans (maybe raise them into warriors like himself so they can kill more people).

Women's rights? Kill all the women.

Racism? Can't be racism if everyone's equal (dead).

Gay marriage? Under Jaggs, you can be with whomever you love (which is six feet underground, dead).

He's Judge Death but way bigger, and Judge Death is a great character, but also not somebody you should listen to.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

i dont know how anyone reads the yuan ten jantris segments with anything other than compassion, and that combined with the earlier depictions of jagg as solely and pointedly pensive, depressed, and dissatisfied with the prime evil of the story (the pact of the seven part world) vs every other demiurge's gleeful pursuit of power............... i guess end of the day i trust operant to tell a satisfying story :)

Jaggs has a very sympathetic origin story. You know, like with Mottom. Or Dave.

That doesn't stop him from being a villain.

seems like a p skewed evaluation of the stakes of the conflict!

It's literally Jagg's stated goal lmao what do you think it is. He says to Allison "gimme your key so I can kill everyone more effectively."

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

he says 'gimme your key so i can end this hosed cosmic system'

the fact that every one else cares about the trivial cruft on top of that system, like 'mortality,' is their own affair