Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i miss japan this much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Barkeep, give me four fingers worth

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

But seriously I've had people try to justify it like 3 different ways

I blame TV

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
https://youtu.be/t8X7O2mN1xg
just get one of these
i think i remember lawson giving away some similar gadget with every sixpack of asahi

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Phone posted:

i miss japan this much

half empty half full

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
wheeee

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Wow Magnitude 7

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
It shook for quite a long time over here in Tokyo. I didn't have anything fall over, but it gave me and my pregnant wife a good scare.

Looks like there are some power outages in Saitama.

https://twitter.com/MTH_hkgry3/status/1360594698704887809

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

That was a long loving earthquake in Tokyo, holy poo poo. Just about the longest I’ve experienced.

...no earthquake alarm from the phone either 🙃

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Pouring one out for the store workers in Akiba that had to right all the fallen figurines

https://twitter.com/ssWB19zSo5qHXrZ/status/1360595202444988432

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Mario, save the princess!

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you get any takers?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

There is/was a Mangosteen hotel in Machida.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
So I'm looking into the future (end of year / next year) for travel, depending on current circumstances and such like everyone else, I'd imagine.
I'm staring down the barrel of around 16 to 18 hours worth of travel time to get to Japan from where I am (UK) and would like tips on -

Times of year to avoid (would assume new year?)
Travel arranging companies / group that are recommended / not poo poo, preferably with website
Any recommended hotels / onsen around Zao or in Yamagata as a whole. Saw a travel vlog video from there and gods it looks like a wonderful time, which I wager was the intent of the video.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Try to avoid: Golden Week, last week march/first apr (school year), June-July (monsoon), August (school/holiday)

But otherwise it kind of depends on what you want to do there. Japan's tourism business has really really boomed so it's pretty easy to plan a trip yourself if you want to, especially if you're sticking to popular tourist destinations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Avoid beginning of May which is golden week. Probably avoid a bunch of the summer unless you love sweating. My personal recommendation is the period right after golden week so mid May. Late fall is also nice I'm told, and is probably my target for 2022.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Having done UK->Japan, don’t go with a tour company, just book your flights and hotels through Expedia or something and then you can do whatever you want while you’re there.

I did a combination of googling a little myself beforehand and posting “I’m going to this place what else is there” ITT and filled 2 weeks on both of our trips.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I'm still doubtful (but hopeful) that I'll be able to travel to Japan in November this year. But it'll probably be late February/early March next year, or worst case scenario, November 2022. Temperatures seem nice, no major holidays that I could see.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm going to book for next May as soon as my airline will let me. It's my standing trip so I'm perfectly happy (well, capable, not happy) to cancel it if necessary but I do enjoy having something booked even if it's just so I can plan towards a goal.

Up until now I only did AirBnB's, but this time around I think I'll do hotels just to try something different. I did enjoy staying in little places off main streets but I'll try something else for a change.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yeah, I used an Air BnB last time, but I just couldn't get used to the Japanese style bath and really wanted a shower, so I'll be staying in Western hotels this time.

I know the APA hotels are to be avoided, but would all of them have "APA" in the name, or do they also own other hotels to watch out for?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

APA's politics are whack but the rooms and locations are nice. Just use Google maps for "hotel near (station)" and you'll get lots of options.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Nanigans posted:

Yeah, I used an Air BnB last time, but I just couldn't get used to the Japanese style bath and really wanted a shower, so I'll be staying in Western hotels this time.

I know the APA hotels are to be avoided, but would all of them have "APA" in the name, or do they also own other hotels to watch out for?

Do more research on the rooms next time. They will almost always show the bath/shower.

I'm pretty anal about it. I check any airbnb to make sure it has a washlet. If it just has a western style toilet, I move on to the next one. I mean, that's the first thing I look at before I look at anything else about the room.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You may know this but also keep in mind a lot of cheaper hotels list on AirBnB in Japan. I did all AirBnB last trip and everywhere I stayed was actually just a small hotel with all the normal amenities.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Kinda wish we could all get together for a big ol' goon cruise.

Logistical requirements of that would be hell, though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I did a booze cruise with multiple Tokyo goons, it was good.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've been wanting for years to set up a booze cruise during the Tokyo Bay fireworks but just keep putting it off.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I've had a lot of good luck with hostels in Japan. Stayed in basically, as far as I can tell, the only hostel in Morioka and it was really chill. It used to be a neighborhood community center (i.e. just a large open room) that they practiced dance in. Now it's got bunk beds.

Met some people, went out for food and drinks, had a good time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm pretty anal about it. I check any airbnb to make sure it has a washlet. If it just has a western style toilet, I move on to the next one. I mean, that's the first thing I look at before I look at anything else about the room.

I’m like this with the bathrooms. I always hunt for the shower outside of the bathtub type bathrooms whatever the term for those is. I’ve stayed at places with traditional western shower-in-the-bathtub bathrooms but the novelty keeps me hoping for the other kind. As for the washlet, that’s a must for me now that I have them at home. I’m always disappointed when I scroll through AirBnB and see those weird budget looking bathrooms with the western toilet next to the sink whose faucet doubles as the bathtub faucet.

I used to feel weird about being so picky but I’m already micromanaging most other aspects of my trip, why not pick something that I prefer in this respect too.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 5, 2021

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The whole Japanese bath and toilet game is so far ahead of everyone else, it's a testament to how much Japanese companies hate making money that they don't have a global monopoly on bath/toilet fixtures. If I ever leave Japan I am definitely going to figure out how to set up a waterproof shower/bath enclosure and a just in time hot water heater.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

The whole Japanese bath and toilet game is so far ahead of everyone else, it's a testament to how much Japanese companies hate making money that they don't have a global monopoly on bath/toilet fixtures. If I ever leave Japan I am definitely going to figure out how to set up a waterproof shower/bath enclosure and a just in time hot water heater.

Tankless hot water heaters are already a thing you can get in many parts of the world, though they kind of require gas heat and are extremely expensive to retrofit if the house was plumbed with a conventional water heater.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Midjack posted:

Tankless hot water heaters are already a thing you can get in many parts of the world, though they kind of require gas heat and are extremely expensive to retrofit if the house was plumbed with a conventional water heater.

They make electric point-of-use heaters that are meant for a single bathroom.

Anyhow, with the current timeline for the vaccine rollouts, I'm hoping Japan will be visitable towards the end of the year.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

WarpedNaba posted:

Kinda wish we could all get together for a big ol' goon cruise.

Logistical requirements of that would be hell, though.

Grand Fromage posted:

I did a booze cruise with multiple Tokyo goons, it was good.

The booze cruise we did was the Nouryousen which is about as logistically easy as possible. It’s a big ‘ol boat and you get all you can drink, and all you really need is to get tickets and show up.

https://www.nouryousen.jp/sp/index.shtml

Go on a weekday in yukata and it’s like 1000 yen off or summat too, so you can get a few hours of all you can drink on a boat for like 1500 yen (15 USDish).

It’s also still basically unknown to tourists. I would normally recommend checking it out if you’re a tourist but maybe not with Corona poo poo until everybody is nice and vaccinated.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

.Z. posted:

They make electric point-of-use heaters that are meant for a single bathroom.

Anyhow, with the current timeline for the vaccine rollouts, I'm hoping Japan will be visitable towards the end of the year.

:same:

I'm confident I'll be all vaccinated by summer. So hopefully I can go back for Halloween.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Nanigans posted:

Wasn't there a shower head in the shower room?

edit: Also unit baths are trash, dont @ me, western bathrooms for life

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 5, 2021

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Unit baths are so easy to clean tho

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Poor goons who think a unit bath equals the plastic garbage installed in their LeoPalace.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

AHH F/UGH posted:

Also unit baths are trash, dont @ me

:wrong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Zettace posted:

Unit baths are so easy to clean tho

Oh baby nothing better than cold puddles of water all over the floor, insane amounts of dust, having to scrub and clean and even bigger area, humidity problems, wasting water, cold as gently caress giant open space where you can't get a steam going, and getting water everywhere (great for homes)

Mmm yeah sign me up for a slice of THAT

Taking a sit down bath is a waste of time anyways

sale on Banksy art posted:

Poor goons who think a unit bath equals the plastic garbage installed in their LeoPalace.

Well then what do you consider a unit bath lmao

Show us your high falootin unit bath Mr. Moneybags