Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My provider shows "Likely spam" when it's telemarketers calling and so far it' has been 100% accurate. I google every number before I answer when I get a call I'm not expecting and people here are very diligent on leaving reviews on websites when it's spam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

SlowBloke posted:

If a proper dmarc/dkim for phones get enforced into a full reject mode, the correct way for grassroots campaigns is simply to have their identity vetted and provided a number by the fcc that is known good from a dedicated stock so that is doesn’t get blocked.

Ah, yes, because relying on the government or industry to authorize your grassroots movement always works out well.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

If a proper dmarc/dkim for phones get enforced into a full reject mode, the correct way for grassroots campaigns is simply to have their identity vetted and provided a number by the fcc that is known good from a dedicated stock so that is doesn’t get blocked.

Sorry, I was responding to the idea of blocking all calls/texts that aren't contacts. Also it would be dangerous for someone contacting you in an emergency from a different number.

The Iron Rose also makes a good point, although if its between a company enforcing it and the government, I'd personally choose the government.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Same and I’m not even suggesting that the approach isn’t the one to go with.

Just that there are knock on effects. You don’t see the CCP authorizing permits to grassroots groups opposed to the state is all I’m saying. You can’t assume that the FCC will always be so kindly disposed either.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Iron Rose posted:

Ah, yes, because relying on the government or industry to authorize your grassroots movement always works out well.

At least in my experience, this kind of enforcement is better left in government hands than corporate, otherwise you would end with robocallers being provided clearance rather than your union chapter due to bigger pockets. Here you wouldn’t be able to do campaigning without being registered to local gov in any case so it wouldn’t be that big of a blocker.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
nope

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 6, 2022

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So it turns out if you have Teams Android app installed, it doesn't respect your phone's do not disturb setting.

Some marketing fuckwit called me on teams, twice, before I started work (and was still in bed) because "the entire website has disappeared" and it turned out they'd deleted it.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

evobatman posted:

90% of working with HR is getting HR to do its actual job correctly.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 23, 2021

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

xzzy posted:

At this point I'd be happy with a solution from my phone's OS where it blocks any number not whitelisted or in my contacts. I got zero faith that carriers will or even want to stop spam calls.

I would kill for this feature. Make all non-contact numbers go to voicemail immediately and if they don’t leave a message, don’t bother reporting the call and block the number. Phones are a pain in the rear end and 99% of the calls I get are garbage.

Prism Mirror Lens fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 12, 2021

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Do none of you have iPhones? My phone sends all unknown numbers to voicemail.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, I really wish Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, and Apple could get together, design "email 2.0," and set a deadline to make it mandatory for everyone interacting with their email services. It would be encrypted and have protections against spammers using it.

Because email is well and truly garbage.

Does anyone remember when Google reinvented email and called it Wave?

It was craptastic.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

i am a moron posted:

Can't do that because if some random contractor calls I actually need to answer it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bob Morales posted:

Can't do that because if some random contractor calls I actually need to answer it

This is precisely what a work mobile is for. Or at least a dual-sim card phone.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Bob Morales posted:

People will leave a voicemail or text if it’s important :shrug:

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I use an iOS app named “Number Shield” that lets me block entire area codes or exchanges. I think it was maybe $5, but 100% worth it. It automatically exempts contacts from the blocklist too.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

i am a moron posted:

Yep.

Settings > Phone > Silence unknown callers

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Merijn posted:

Does anyone remember when Google reinvented email and called it Wave?

It was craptastic.

you take that back

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

i am a moron posted:

People will leave a voicemail or text if it’s important :shrug:

They'll also leave the site and go somewhere else if you don't answer.

"Hey, this is xxx from sumbadingbang telco, we came out to turn on your new fiber circuit but you never picked up the phone. Anyway if you call scheduling we can come back out in 2 weeks"

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Sickening posted:

On that subject, is there a single company in the world that only sends encrypted emails?
We used to be very close and then the government retired the system (presumably, whilst thorough, it was a bit poo.)

Essentially, as we were in the inner circle and quite a big business we got a server that does the encryption before it leaves your network, if you are small you get webmail!

The way it worked was you had to email angryarma@somethingawful.com.secure.suffix - but there was nothing stopping you just emailing angryarma@somethingawful.com - to mitigate this terrible risk someone sourced a plug in that recognised if you were sending to supported domains and said 'you forgot .secure.suffix, go add it you berk' - apparently it wasn't clever enough to just add it for you.

If the other user was webmail only, the only way for them to know they had an email was to actually log into secure.suffix and check their other email account - you constantly had to email people and say, ive sent you something securely go look.

another negative of it, was because we were big enough to have a server on site but we were not actually part of the government, your webmail password would expire, which would stop your secure emails working - you'd have no way of knowing this was coming and no actual need for the password, other than to reset it every 3 months, so people used to forget them all the time and you couldn't really do a great deal about it.

Then, we would occasionally have to do business with people who didn't have access to the secure system, but we needed to send secure info, so we procured basically another encrypted webmail system of our own and had to use that for like 2 users per site - then forced the 3rd parties to sign up otherwise they wouldn't be allowed to see what we sent them. Luckily, we had the leverage that no one could really argue so we got by.

That whole system is retired now but it was fun whilst it lasted.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

angry armadillo posted:

We used to be very close and then the government retired the system (presumably, whilst thorough, it was a bit poo.)

Essentially, as we were in the inner circle and quite a big business we got a server that does the encryption before it leaves your network, if you are small you get webmail!

The way it worked was you had to email angryarma@somethingawful.com.secure.suffix - but there was nothing stopping you just emailing angryarma@somethingawful.com - to mitigate this terrible risk someone sourced a plug in that recognised if you were sending to supported domains and said 'you forgot .secure.suffix, go add it you berk' - apparently it wasn't clever enough to just add it for you.

If the other user was webmail only, the only way for them to know they had an email was to actually log into secure.suffix and check their other email account - you constantly had to email people and say, ive sent you something securely go look.

another negative of it, was because we were big enough to have a server on site but we were not actually part of the government, your webmail password would expire, which would stop your secure emails working - you'd have no way of knowing this was coming and no actual need for the password, other than to reset it every 3 months, so people used to forget them all the time and you couldn't really do a great deal about it.

Then, we would occasionally have to do business with people who didn't have access to the secure system, but we needed to send secure info, so we procured basically another encrypted webmail system of our own and had to use that for like 2 users per site - then forced the 3rd parties to sign up otherwise they wouldn't be allowed to see what we sent them. Luckily, we had the leverage that no one could really argue so we got by.

See, that is what I am talking about. Nobody wants to work with a poo poo system like that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just send a fax, then you're good to go.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Internet Explorer posted:

Use email to send and receive faxes instead of email, then you're good to go

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I love how every now&then when you upgrade VMWare Tools on Windows, it will just randomly wipe all your ethernet config for no reason.
I know there's a utility to backup and restore the settings, but it's still daft that you have to do this by hand and they can't just bundle it into the setup.exe.

I'm half tempted to just run the backup as a scheduled task once a month or some poo poo

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Lum posted:

I love how every now&then when you upgrade VMWare Tools on Windows, it will just randomly wipe all your ethernet config for no reason.
I know there's a utility to backup and restore the settings, but it's still daft that you have to do this by hand and they can't just bundle it into the setup.exe.

I'm half tempted to just run the backup as a scheduled task once a month or some poo poo

You could do it with a scheduled powershell script without using random exes FYI. We do have it running as a tasks on servers which grenades hard when changing IPs

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I was set to resign that I'd have to code Java with SWT here at my workplace, instead of allowing me to go my own way with .NET and WPF (later WinUI) for frontend applications used solely in our own department. I'm a programming island that doesn't have anything to do with the IT department, but going my own way isn't an option, because I'd be lacking "backup". Like these chucklefucks would drop everything at a moment's notice to pick up my things in case of a prolonged absence.

Now some external consultant has been schmoozing up to our head of IT showing off what you can do with Javascript in a browser, and said head of IT suddenly needed some "time to find himself" and make longterm decisions about whether to switch or not. So now it's suddenly probably not Java. Ironically all this after the discussion half a year ago, about how to go about the programming part of my job, where I pointed out I'd rather go JS instead of Java and SWT (there's also some irrational Microsoft hate going around, "best tool for the job" doesn't apply anywhere). "You want to use Node.What? Electron, what's that?"

:suicide:

--edit:
Also, I haven't coded poo poo yet, apart from some tools for my own use, and hugely complicated nested SQL queries in Excel, because everyone's dragging their balls on the final decision.

And their DB400 has CTE's disabled for whatever loving reason, and they don't seem to want to fix this. It also drives me up a wall.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 13, 2021

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option

angry armadillo posted:

This sounds suspiciously like GCSX. I miss GCSX despite its inherent flaws.

Like, when a certificate in the system wasn't renewed before expiry and it would just fail to route emails but you'd have no idea as the SMTP endpoint you're sending to would accept it with a 250 OK and that's as far as you can see it. This happened almost yearly in my experience.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Lynxifer posted:

This sounds suspiciously like GCSX. I miss GCSX despite its inherent flaws.

Like, when a certificate in the system wasn't renewed before expiry and it would just fail to route emails but you'd have no idea as the SMTP endpoint you're sending to would accept it with a 250 OK and that's as far as you can see it. This happened almost yearly in my experience.

I was never part of the government so I am not exactly sure if it is GCSX or just a distant cousin but you are probably on the right lines

Internet Explorer posted:

Just send a fax, then you're good to go.

We have a secure fax machine on site. I've never heard of anyone actually using them (in over 10 years in this industry!), my boss always worries when we do things that might involve leaving them out of action but I honestly dread the day when someone says we need to send a secure fax but we don't know how to do it because I will have no idea either.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
Our card payment provider claims to have over 24,000 employees, but it seems the UK support number is staffed by one guy. If the phone even gets answered, I get through to him and have to explain our issue over and over again, only to now be "transferred to an internal department" where my call gets shuttled off to another unanswered part of their phone system.

We have an issue that has been going on for over a loving year and I just cannot get a resolution to it. I've also kept the Directors up to date with the issue and the support I get from the provider - almost pleading with them asking if we can move to another platform. Obviously they haven't paid any attention to it until last week where I almost quit on the spot after being told "Why haven't you done anything about this!?".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Whipstickagostop posted:

Our card payment provider claims to have over 24,000 employees, but it seems the UK support number is staffed by one guy. If the phone even gets answered, I get through to him and have to explain our issue over and over again, only to now be "transferred to an internal department" where my call gets shuttled off to another unanswered part of their phone system.

When it gets "transferred" is it still the same guy just using a different voice/accent?

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

Proteus Jones posted:

When it gets "transferred" is it still the same guy just using a different voice/accent?

Haha no unfortunately not. It either goes back on hold to never get answered, or rings for a few minutes before getting cut off.

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option

angry armadillo posted:

I was never part of the government so I am not exactly sure if it is GCSX or just a distant cousin but you are probably on the right lines

There was only one system in the end that had multiple names and merged various other governmental "secure messaging" systems that popped up in the 90's, because obviously joined up thinking is for wimps. This is why there were so many names, mail suffixes, etc.
And then they decided that TLS was "good enough" and turned off the system. Effectively meaning that a lot of public and private bodies suddenly had a huge governance headache as just turning on TLS 1.2 force for domains doesn't magically replace a semi segregated network.

The Criminal Justice Secure Messaging system is still about and going strong and you could even send GCSX <> CJSM back in the day. Although I did hear of a company trying to market a "GCSX replacement" in the form of laying independent links around the UK to create a totally segregated network, that you'd then pay £lots to join and it would be great because it really was separate from the dirty internet.

That went precisely as far as you'd expect...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Proteus Jones posted:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Joining a training thing, and they didn't provide a call in bridge. Takes 45m to get everyone connected to something where they can hear each other. Everyone on this call is in IT.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I hate programming language skills tests. Random rear end questions, arcane details, etc.

Also, 1:30 to evaluate a multiple choice, 4 functions, from 10-20 lines each, which of the following WILL NOT return x?

I scored in the 'top 15%', so not terrible (job cuts off at 20%?) and got 5% I USED THE MAN PAGES on 'Linux'

Linux questions were terrible too. What command line option does X on this command that's almost never used?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Really great sounding job at a local fortune 500 opened up...

:derp:

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
is that the chemical company?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

is that the chemical company?

Yea. It’s through Kelly Services though

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jobs need to advertise pay. It's stupid that they don't and it should be mandatory, by law.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

This is a long term role for up to two years! Wow!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

i am a moron posted:

This is a long term role for up to two years! Wow!!!

At minimum!