Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

It's going to come out that a bunch of GOP senators convinced the Dems it would be crushing for them to allow witnesses and the Dems didn't want to hurt their feelings or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Nah, they would have gotten video or audio or other bullshit to hammer republicans with for years.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
So...what exactly do the Dems get in this arrangement?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. as whole, its loving bullshit, but i sorta get it. it would push off actual good stuff getting done and even if we somehow got trump, it wouldn't change anything and the GOP would streach it out until the end of time. dems suck but we all know how this ends anyway no matter how many slam dunk witnesses. plus it would probably gently caress covid poo poo over somehow.

It absolutely wouldnt push any good stuff off

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Vacation and a chance to fund raise.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

CyberPingu posted:

Nothing. Literally Nothing.

The GOP will continue to obstruct everything and now the Dems won't even have video evidence that the GOP was complicit in the insurrection.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SubG posted:

Yeah, I spent last night arguing they wouldn't call witnesses and the JHB/McCarthy thing wouldn't matter, and then was perfectly willing to eat my words and be happily surprised when Raskin made his opening statement today, and then they cleared a vote for witnesses...and then they decide not to call witnesses after all.

Who was it that said the Democratic party is like going to a rock concert where the band keeps telling the fans to simmer down?

And I mean, that's the thing! If they hadn't done this, I would have concluded with saying 'man, they hosed up by not calling witnesses, yeah, but overall I think they did a really good job!' - but... gently caress.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

CyberPingu posted:

The loss hey so desperately craved. Can't actually do things or people might get ideas, witnesses might have made the trial more than just empty symbolism!

Pasty Doughboy
Dec 23, 2006
With red way hair. One day it will all be gone, I’ll go blind from the glare

CyberPingu posted:

Scorn and mockery.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
What a stupid thing to do, ugh. Blah!

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
YOU HAD THE WIN YOU HAD THE WIN AND YOU GAVE IT AWAY WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://twitter.com/danielsgoldman/status/1360649216322924548

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
If only you had the WITNESSES to help bolster this closing argument you were making!

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Wait I'm just getting caught up what did the Dems just loving do? I'm confused.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Now why would they give it away? Is this the worst case for the trial?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Democrats are 100% going to lose congress in 2022.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

cr0y posted:

They won, and the Republicans panicked and said "hey thats not fair" and the Dems said " oh yeah sorry you're right I concede"

Which looks about as bad it possibly can, they would have been better off just losing

Basically

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Is there more to this because this seems extremely dumb

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Were they afraid of infinite witnesses so they could never get anything done thats literally all I can think of

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Is there more to this because this seems extremely dumb

Democrats folded to GOP's threats...again...like they always do.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

cr0y posted:

Had the ability to call wittnesses, traded it in for a literal news article.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

cr0y posted:

The house impeachment managers surprised literally everyone this morning by wanting to call witnesses. (One in particular, but could have led to more, as they said.) The final vote was 55-45 to approve the possibility of witnesses. A win! A surprising one! After an hour or two of general chaos...

Dems and Reps reached a weak af deal just to enter her statement into the record and then move on, 0 witnesses. Absolute cave.

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE

GlyphGryph posted:

It absolutely wouldnt push any good stuff off

Why do I get the feeling that’s exactly the reason why the Dems decided to do what they did here? It’s dumb, but I feel that’s the calculus.

Like anyone here with actual Hill experience—can we get a fair reading on Senate procedure and how calling further witnesses and dragging this on further (regardless of how right it would be to take the GOP over the coals with that action) would/wouldn’t delay noms and Biden’s legislative agenda when we really only have a small guaranteed window to get poo poo done?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
The only thing that's going to come out of this impeachment now is that the Democrats don't care about what happened on January 6th. Because if they cared then why didn't they call witnesses?

I am so loving furious right now how can you be this dumb and worthless??

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

cr0y posted:

GlyphGryph posted:

They won, and the Republicans said "hey thats not fair" and the Dems said " oh yeah sorry you're right I concede"

Basically

Yep, pretty much.

Specifically, they had testimony from McCarthy of Trump saying to some governor when they were requesting NG and needed Trump's approval. Trump said, "Welp, I guess these people are more upset about the election than you are."

Dems called a vote for McCarthy to stand witness, won that vote, GOP threw a hissy fit, and then Dems came back and said, actually we don't want witnesses. We're just going to submit this article of McCarthy saying that as evidence. My plane leaves in 4 hours.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Wow cool glad I decided to pay attention again for 5 minutes only to be reminded that democrats are useless.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Democrats have no idea what they're doing.

What's going to be even better is when we don't even get COVID relief.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
It's like the Washington Generals accidentally ran up the score against the Globetrotters and had to take a knee for the last couple minutes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/danielsgoldman/status/1360649216322924548

they caved but it sounds like the stonewalling was real. getting whats he name on the stand would have been good but there would be "enough" muddy water. its a hosed situation and then the dems hosed up by getting the actual high ground and than throwing it away, i get why they did because of poo poo like that and because it wouldnt have changed poo poo and how poo poo would have been streatched out but its still loving stupid and bad of them.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

CyberPingu posted:

The satisfaction of their humiliation fetish

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
This is the biggest self own I've ever seen in my entire life.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Velocity Raptor posted:

Yep, pretty much.

Specifically, they had testimony from McCarthy of Trump saying to some governor when they were requesting NG and needed Trump's approval. Trump said, "Welp, I guess these people are more upset about the election than you are."

Dems called a vote for McCarthy to stand witness, won that vote, GOP threw a hissy fit, and then Dems came back and said, actually we don't want witnesses. We're just going to submit this article of McCarthy saying that as evidence. My plane leaves in 4 hours.

they were never going to get mccarthy though. they would get that lady who was told about it/heard it/etc who is a good witnesses but isnt as good as McCarthy. they managed to catch the car, than realized they couldnt hold it, so they didnt even try.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
The GOP held hours of hearings and depositions over Benghazi but god forbid we have witnesses to learn more info about the INSURRECTION.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

how long did benghazi hearings last?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

a.lo posted:

how long did benghazi hearings last?
Longer than the hearings on Pearl Harbor and 9/11 combined.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

CyberPingu posted:

Mitch signaled he's cool if Trump is criminally prosecuted? There's that I guess :shrug:

This is so loving stupid

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
I thought my disillusionment with politics was complete but boy was I wrong

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
How many times are the Dems gonna try and kick that football??

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

AOC should announce a primary challenge to Schumer right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I know our expectations were low but HOLY gently caress. Had the momentum and now the GOP is going to capitalize on it and probably not only be safe in elections, probably knock out a few Dems.

Incredibly detached from reality and their finger is nowhere near the pulse of the American people.