Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

tfw your football team gets taken over by a megachurch pastor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1360268608518066181

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Literally everyone in sports media, everyone, is making fun of Easterby and the Texans. Everyone is watching his standup and just losing their minds.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/adamlevitan/status/1360247435629629441?s=20

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Dammit, this is good.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

:sbahj:

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Intruder posted:

Just think, one day he'll sell this team for multiple billions of dollars

e: lmao

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1360263959870324742
Roy Williams flat out denied he was going to North Carolina on live television following the 2003 NCAA Championship

Josh McDaniels insisted that Jay Cutler was the Broncos' starting quarterback in 2009

Cal McNair can say whatever the gently caress he wants, but Deshaun is as good as gone

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Just months ago a lot of people were saying that the Texans job would be a great one because they had Watson.

It's really fascinating seeing one person like Easterby take over an organization like this in such a public way. The story about players and employees watching game of thrones just to understand the Littlefinger references other people were tossing around was hilarious, but it's still crazy that everyone sees what's happening and it's still happening.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I think letting him walk was the right move in general, but given everything else going on with the organization and how they let this happen, it's just fuel to the fire.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

FizFashizzle posted:

I think letting him walk was the right move in general, but given everything else going on with the organization and how they let this happen, it's just fuel to the fire.

Yeah, it's such an atomic waste dump now that even normal moves are seen through the lens of UNGRATEFUL GRIFTER DUMPS TEAM HERO

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

A restructuring would have been a nice gesture and I think he'd be willing to do that before this all hit. But at this point the bridge has been reduced to dust by how fast it burned and I don't blame him for wanting to get the gently caress out of there.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Maybe JJ will go to the Cardinals and I'll be able to cheer for two of my three favorite players on the same team again

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Intruder posted:

Maybe JJ will go to the Cardinals and I'll be able to cheer for two of my three favorite players on the same team again

*ears perk up*

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Intruder posted:

Just think, one day he'll sell this team for multiple billions of dollars
Worked for Jerry Richardson and Donald Sterling.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1360275258763313155

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/02/12/what-jj-watt-parting-says-about-current-state-of-texans

This article is funny because Orr is desperately trying to see the Texans situation in the best possible light, and he just simply can't:

quote:

I think if most of us try, we can see what the Texans are envisioning here. By tossing out everyone who is unwilling to swim upstream, or who merely expresses a contrary opinion, they are left with only a malleable lump of clay that they can fold to their liking. It’s a long-term bet on the power of collective will vs. the power of individual talent, which, if you’ve caught any of the last few Super Bowls, is a dicey proposition at best. Those who want to make excuses for Jack Easterby and Cal McNair will compare this to something like Bill Belichick releasing Ty Law; this happens in healthy organizations, too, they’ll say. Indeed, being a little unsentimental and calculating when it comes to depreciating assets is part of a franchise’s blueprint for long-term success.

quote:

But Friday is yet another in a sequence of days when we have all watched the Texans’ leadership group slowly squeeze the soul out of the organization.

quote:

The Texans are, like so many other teams, unwittingly cosplaying as an organization they’d like to imitate without any of the requisite foundational success, experience or relative cachet that is important for all of this to work. The Texans assume that they are one of 32 teams and that, regardless of their outward appearance, they’ll have access to players. And if they get players who all believe and think the same thing, they will somehow become, like the Patriots, something greater than the sum of its parts.

quote:

In Houston, what has happened under this current regime so far that has inspired an ounce of similar confidence?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
That article is totally unfair.

quote:

yet another in a sequence of days when we have all watched the Texans’ leadership group slowly squeeze the soul out of the organization.

They've been speed running that poo poo.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
They're squeezing the devil out to make room for the holy spirit

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man
the texan's draft board for the forseeable is nothing but liberty/weird christian NAIA players

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think the funniest possible outcome is that the Texans build from scratch and end up actually being really good 4 or 5 years down the road.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Seems unlikely since their public image is so bad that it'll be hard to attract top flight free agents, undrafted free agents, front office employees, etc. Sure they'll still be able to fill those spots but none of the best players/coaches in the league will want anything to do with them

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I guess it just depends on whether Easterby is actually personally unappealing, or whether it's just the turmoil surrounding him. When the people who don't like him are purged, seems that things should settle down and normalize a bit.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

I guess it just depends on whether Easterby is actually personally unappealing, or whether it's just the turmoil surrounding him. When the people who don't like him are purged, seems that things should settle down and normalize a bit.

What are you talking about? Easterby is the turmoil and just because things will quiet down because they have driven away everyone not part of the cult will make people willing to come and get caught up in all of this.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah, if you're suddenly excluding every player that isn't an evangelical you're looking at a much smaller player pool.

People will still take their money, but they're going to gave to pay the lovely organisation tax a lot.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I think one of the best young QBs in the NFL demanding his way off the team is kind of a red flag

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Nick Caserio decided a burner account on Twitter wasn’t enough and started posting on TFF apparently.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

General Dog posted:

I see your point and I agree it's a possible/likely outcome.

In two years time, after Easterby has long rid the organization of people that aren't loyal to him, if the office is NFL caliber (even like as the 30th best in the league), this wild offseason might fade into the recesses of our minds. The Texans will have to overpay for free agents, but players will sign there. Talented draft picks won't have much of a choice. It'll be regarded as one of the shittier places to play most likely, but teams like Washington have always been able to field a believable NFL roster.

From there, if there's an ostensibly bad-but-normal team, it just takes one good HC hire and/or QB to maybe deliver Easterby to acceptability.

Also very possible and probably more likely that Easterby is so toxic and inexperienced that he will oversee a mess where even boring routine hires are filled with under qualified hogs and the entire org is just a telenovela for the duration of his tenure.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Easterby can't possibly fail with his techniques of asking "What have you been up to lately?" and "Is anyone you play with better than you?"

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

fsif posted:

From there, if there's an ostensibly bad-but-normal team, it just takes one good HC hire and/or QB to maybe deliver Easterby to acceptability.

Also very possible and probably more likely that Easterby is so toxic and inexperienced that he will oversee a mess where even boring routine hires are filled with under qualified hogs and the entire org is just a telenovela for the duration of his tenure.

I suspect that being a good HC is genuinely incompatible with working under Jack Easterby.

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

Intruder posted:

Seems unlikely since their public image is so bad that it'll be hard to attract top flight free agents, undrafted free agents, front office employees, etc. Sure they'll still be able to fill those spots but none of the best players/coaches in the league will want anything to do with them

Can't wait to see the sponsored Houston Texans job postings on Indeed.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Pushing out the guys who handle business operations seems like a pretty big red flag.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Pushing out the guys who handle business operations seems like a pretty big red flag.

And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the money changers, and the seats of them that sold doves, And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Hmm yes, I’m sure that the Texans will attract many Black players eager to listen to a sanctimonious white guy talk to them in a forced hood accent about their friends KiKi and RayRay

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
No sane person should be attracted to the Houston Texans unless their sole motivation is “gently caress, that’s a lot of money, I guess I can put up with this loving idiot” for they know not what they’re entering into.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think the problem is assuming Jack wants a good team rather than a little fiefdom

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Idk why anyone would even make that assumption at the time he's picking a fight with the best QB they ever had And just mercy-fired the best defensive player they ever had

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what's east of easterby?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Cavauro posted:

what's east of easterby?

Eden.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

fartknocker posted:

No sane person should be attracted to the Houston Texans unless their sole motivation is “gently caress, that’s a lot of money, I guess I can put up with this loving idiot” for they know not what they’re entering into.

there is a lot someone will put up with for low-to-low-mid 8 figures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

you'll notice the rest of the team hasn't asked their way off just yet, and agents aren't doing targeted leaks of "everybody wants the gently caress out of here"