Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rea posted:

Hmm, yes, this will be more prevalent in peoples' minds than whatever Dems and the Biden admin do for covid relief. This will be the pressing issue over the vaccine rollout.

Voting on considering witnesses and then not calling any is a dumb unforced error, but I don't understand the apoplexy here.

Joe Q. Public isn't going to notice the difference in this one vote, but they have been noticing the trial and the complacency and incompetence of republicans. People have been getting more angry at them since the trial started. Then Trump's defense handed the house managers a golden ticket to open this up and bang that "Trump tried to overthrow the government and republicans support this!" drum harder. You might think that people would be aware of that already, but the general public really isn't. It was a move that cost them absolutely nothing to make republicans look even worse and drill it into the public consciousness. And then after they had won the ability to do that, they just gave up and walked away.

None of this would prevent covid relief or anything else, republicans are going to be just as obstructing as they would be without getting witnesses and senate business was continuing anyway. This is one hundred percent a totally botch of an error where they had victory and walked away because of republicans were going to cry about it.

gently caress democrats. They absolutely refuse to learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Are you loving kidding me.

That settles it. Treason and insurrection are now legal if you are a republican and it's going to be the playbook from now on.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

axeil posted:

Are you seriously arguing this should've been done for "news cycle" purposes? How much of an impact did the first trump impeachment news cycles have on the 2020 election?

No one is going to be campaigning on this in 2022.

No one is going to be campaigning on this in 2022 because there's not going to be video of people testifying that Trump incited an insurrection and that the GOP closed ranks to protect him after the fact.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Change the dem mascot to a donkey kicking its own nuts off.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Framboise posted:

Are you loving kidding me.

That settles it. Treason and insurrection are now legal if you are a republican and it's going to be the playbook from now on.

If only we called the witnesses it would surely convince 17 Republicans to change their mind on that stance they already had taken.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

If only we called the witnesses it would surely convince 17 Republicans to change their mind on that stance they already had taken.

Why did they do the impeachment at all then? Please tell me.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/WakeUp2Politics/status/1360658579187974145

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

The stupidest part of your argument is that assuming you are being honest about your opinion here, you should be pissed the dems had a worthless show trial at all.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The House Democrats mostly do care about what the base thinks and wants done - the Senate Dems really really really don't care and just want to be friends and hang out with their Republicans friends at lunch time.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Grapplejack posted:

Why did they do the impeachment at all then? Please tell me.

So you're asking why do an impeachment when you know the Republicans were always going to acquit no matter what? Because to just not even try to do an impeachment would've been worse. Witnesses or no, the Senate was not going to convict and "political capital" is not a real thing.

GlyphGryph posted:

The stupidest part of your argument is that assuming you are being honest about your opinion here, you should be pissed the dems had a worthless show trial at all.

The Dems didn't make the Republicans decide to acquit from the jump, sorry.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Angry_Ed posted:

It's not even about that. Give them more opportunities to show the world who they really are. This is just showing that Democrats won't even push back when this happens from here on. There's no opposition. It's just going to embolden them even more and do this poo poo even more from here on.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Framboise posted:

It's not even about that. Give them more opportunities to show the world who they really are.

I'm pretty sure the world is well aware of who they really are and the world, especially this country, does not care

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

So you're asking why do an impeachment when you know the Republicans were always going to acquit no matter what? Because to just not even try to do an impeachment would've been worse. Witnesses or no, the Senate was not going to convict and "political capital" is not a real thing.

Okay so, with your logic, this is how it goes:

No impeachment: Bad
Impeachment that you kinda halfass and bail on: peak performance
Impeachment that you call witnesses for: bad, waste of time

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Oh come the gently caress on now :negative:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gee, sure would be nice to call witnesses to get these people on the record.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Angry_Ed posted:

You are being incoherent, I can't even follow your logic here

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Rabble posted:

How many times are the Dems gonna try and kick that football??

This is even worse, this time nobody was holding the football, it was just sitting there, and they took a runup, the wind was fair, the goalposts were close - and they stopped a couple of steps away and asked Lucy to come hold the ball for them.

It's especially galling because the Dems have been extremely good until this point, so here the play was to either go "Welp, can't win a vote to call witnesses so not gonna bother, here's our closing arguments" or "Holy crap we can actually call witnesses, okay let's get on with it", and they managed to actually get the win needed and then gently caress it all up.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Oh look. The GOP are still being assholes. WHAT A SURPRISE!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Grapplejack posted:

Wow why bother asking me if you were just looking to put words in my mouth.

Let me try to explain this again.

Calling witnesses: good, but a waste of time as witnesses can just lie in an impeachment trial with no consequence.
not calling witnesses: not worth getting worked up over when there is literally no chance Donald Trump would be convicted.

What we have currently: the witnesses testimony of the one witness who actually wanted to testify being entered into the record.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah sorry they bungled the first impeachment trial the same loving way when there was zero reason to rush through so I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt on this for pandemic reasons. They've demonstrated that they can walk and chew gum at the same time but getting their much needed vacation while Americans continue to die by the truckload seems to be the #1 priority of both parties right now. loving peachy keen.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

I for one am not arguing what happened is peak performance, I'm arguing it makes absolutely no difference because the calling of witnesses has no impact on the outcome of the impeachment nor future campaigning/messaging.

The proper reaction here is "well it was dumb they half voted for witnesses but it's a minor dumb thing that will have no impact so who cares"

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Angry_Ed posted:

So, let me ask this. Now that I'm cooling off a bit more and agreeing with some of your points in part... do you see where some of us are coming from, though? On taking the vote to move forward with witnesses and then immediately backtracking... it kinda plays at the whole narrative in total of Dems rolling over in a fight, over and over again. It's frustrating! Would have been better not to have had the vote at all.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress it. Hopefully Biden at least manages to cancel my student loans and I can consider getting out of here before Republicans gain power again and succeed in their next coup now that they know they'll get away with it. That's the precedent that's being set with this trial and guarantees they will keep doing it until it works.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

So, let me ask this. Now that I'm cooling off a bit more and agreeing with some of your points in part... do you see where some of us are coming from, though? On taking the vote to move forward with witnesses and then immediately backtracking... it kinda plays at the whole narrative in total of Dems rolling over in a fight, over and over again. It's frustrating! Would have been better not to have had the vote at all.

They got the witness testimony of the only witness they wanted to call (at least according to Raskin) and got a couple extra Republicans to vote for witnesses in the first place, I don't see how that's a loss. Unless people keep making it a loss because we didn't get the mythical "Trump proves his own guilt on the stand" scenario which would never happen.

Framboise posted:

gently caress it. Hopefully Biden at least manages to cancel my student loans and I can consider getting out of here before Republicans gain power again and succeed in their next coup now that they know they'll get away with it. That's the precedent that's being set with this trial and guarantees they will keep doing it until it works.

And if they called the witnesses this precedent would still be set I don't see where you think there was an outcome where Trump is convicted.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
So is the vote tomorrow? Or today

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CyberPingu posted:

So is the vote tomorrow? Or today

I believe currently it's expected approx 3-4 PM today.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

axeil posted:

I for one am not arguing what happened is peak performance, I'm arguing it makes absolutely no difference because the calling of witnesses has no impact on the outcome of the impeachment nor future campaigning/messaging.

Except historical precedent says the longer you drag out a trial of a public figure, and the more you can get audio/video that can be shared with the public of the bad things, the more people end up convinced that figure did something wrong.

Why did the Dems waste effort on a pointless show trial if they werent willing to put on a show?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
You know what would help clear up all this confusion??

WITNESSES!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

well maybe he should have said so earlier.

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

yeah. i dont blame anyone for being mad about the dems loving this up and THEY DID gently caress this up. i just mean i sorta get their reasonings especially when jon q public won't care about their gently caress up anyway.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

And if they called the witnesses this precedent would still be set I don't see where you think there was an outcome where Trump is convicted.

Its ironic you complain about people putting words in your mouth while attacking people for stuff they didnt say, unless I missed something?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 13, 2021

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Angry_Ed posted:

They got the witness testimony of the only witness they wanted to call (at least according to Raskin) and got a couple extra Republicans to vote for witnesses in the first place, I don't see how that's a loss. Unless people keep making it a loss because we didn't get the mythical "Trump proves his own guilt on the stand" scenario which would never happen.

Disagree here on a point: Raskin mentioned in the original ask that potentially more witnesses might have been requested further as a result of her potential testimony, I believe? (Is there a good spot to check transcript information of all this as it happens?)

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i dont blame anyone for being mad about the dems loving this up and THEY DID gently caress this up. i just mean i sorta get their reasonings especially when jon q public won't care about their gently caress up anyway.

The GOP will 100% hammer on the fact that the Democrats backed down so obviously what Trump did wasn't that bad.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

Its ironic you complain about people putting words in your mouth while attacking people for stuff they didnt say, unless I missed something?

So do you want to tell me what other way we would be establishing insurrection as a thing that you cannot do even as a Republican without Trump being convicted? Cause I'm not seeing it.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1360660883400249347

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Grapplejack posted:

An impeachment trial gets the 45 +/- Rs that will vote to acquit on record as being complicit. Independent of the impeachment process more poo poo is going to come out about the insurrection, as it has been today, and as will no doubt happen with increasing frequency as the insurrectionists start working their way through the court system. And hopefully that makes the complicity of the 45 +/- look worse and worse. Whether or not that will ever be worth anything has a lot to do with what their districts look like and absolutely nothing to do with anything that would happen in the Senate trial in any possible universe.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Rabble posted:

The GOP will 100% hammer on the fact that the Democrats backed down so obviously what Trump did wasn't that bad.

Cool. Who's that actually going to persuade, and why does that matter for 2022 compared to arguments about pandemic relief or dumb culture war bullshit?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

It's almost certainly correct that calling witnesses would have made little to no difference to the way the Treason Party will vote but that was never the objective so this just looks like the Dems snatched defeat from the jaws of victory and made sure they don't gain any additional ammunition in future campaigns as well as signalling they're as spineless as ever.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Why the gently caress did they bail on calling the witness? What deal could republicans have possibly thrown on the table to get them to take the offer?

I can't find a single article explaining what they got in return for this, this is completely bonkers :psyboom:

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

axeil posted:

i cannot loving conceive that you actually believe the bolded part.

video of witnesses being evasive or lying during an actual impeachment trial in the actual loving US Senate couldn't possibly produce useful campaign video

what could, then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

So do you want to tell me what other way we would be establishing insurrection as a thing that you cannot do even as a Republican without Trump being convicted? Cause I'm not seeing it.

Woah, before we change the subject why dont you tell me in what world the Dems holding a vote for witnesses, winning the vote, and then immediately capitulating to the demands of Republicans is a good thing. Explain why this would be superior to literally any other option.