Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Angry_Ed posted:

So do you want to tell me what other way we would be establishing insurrection as a thing that you cannot do even as a Republican without Trump being convicted? Cause I'm not seeing it.

Well, probably all the congress critters who've contributed to the insurrection over the years by their rhetoric now seeing that there's literally no way they will face any consequences barring a Senate Dem supermajority. They're only going to be even more motivated to making sure a Dem supermajority is impossible from now on, up to and including stoking violence against the opposing party. Very cool first world nation we have here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Parrotine posted:

Why the gently caress did they bail on calling the witness? What deal could republicans have possibly thrown on the table to get them to take the offer?

I can't find a single article explaining what they got in return for this, this is completely bonkers :psyboom:

Because Dems are spineless jellyfish who fold faster than Superman on laundry day at the slightest pushback.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

https://twitter.com/JudiciaryGOP/status/1360651470237032450

gently caress off GOP, we're busy fighting ourselves right now, one second :v:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Oh boy I sure am glad that the Democratic party made sure this meme would be evergreen

Specially at the cost of the stimulus taking another two weeks minimum.

these are going to be exhausting years, god

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Parrotine posted:

Why the gently caress did they bail on calling the witness? What deal could republicans have possibly thrown on the table to get them to take the offer?

I can't find a single article explaining what they got in return for this, this is completely bonkers :psyboom:

:effort:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

MorningMoon posted:

Oh boy I sure am glad that the Democratic party made sure this meme would be evergreen

Specially at the cost of the stimulus taking another two weeks minimum.

these are going to be exhausting years, god

loving somebody just indict trump already, please, I can't take much more of this

Georgia could do it tomorrow. Fulton County DA knows it too.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Parrotine posted:

The concession they got was a news article getting read into the record as evidence. That's literally it.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Rea posted:

Cool. Who's that actually going to persuade, and why does that matter for 2022 compared to arguments about pandemic relief or dumb culture war bullshit?

Because the GOP is going to obstruct the Democrats at every turn anyway and they're always arguing in bad faith. The Senate could do COVID relief and the impeachment trial at the same time. Capitulating to the team that just tried to take over the government is a bad look.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hey so can we storm the capitol when they vote that Trump is 100% good and nice? I mean it looks like there's no consequences for that poo poo right lets just walk in

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Parrotine posted:

Two hours of debate about the relevance of each witness. Republicans were threatening to call hundreds of frivolous witnesses just to gum up the works and be assholes.

Democrats are trying to be serious about governing and government and decided turning impeachment into a carnival was counterproductive. Trump was going to walk regardless of witnesses, so discretion was the better part of valor.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rabble posted:

The GOP will 100% hammer on the fact that the Democrats backed down so obviously what Trump did wasn't that bad.

the GOP will do that anyway.
+ this

Deteriorata posted:

Two hours of debate about the relevance of each witness. Republicans were threatening to call hundreds of frivolous witnesses just to gum up the works and be assholes.

Democrats are trying to be serious about governing and government and decided turning impeachment into a carnival was counterproductive. Trump was going to walk regardless of witnesses, so discretion was the better part of valor.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Rabble posted:

Because the GOP is going to obstruct the Democrats at every turn anyway and they're always arguing in bad faith. The Senate could do COVID relief and the impeachment trial at the same time. Capitulating to the team that just tried to take over the government is a bad look.

Covid relief gets jammed up by the GOP refusing unanimous consent either way, but adding an additional venue for them to jam things up just adds more delays. Every hour spent on the impeachment trial is an hour-long delay to stimulus checks being sent out, unemployment benefits being reinforced, and those $300 per child monthly checks being sent to families.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

Who gives a poo poo, it would have absolutely hosed over the GOP by pulling this stunt, they had no downsides for getting a witness.

Awful loving party, jesus tap dancing christ.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rea posted:

Covid relief gets jammed up by the GOP refusing unanimous consent. Every hour spent on the impeachment trial is an hour-long delay to stimulus checks being sent out, unemployment benefits being reinforced, and those $300 per child monthly checks being sent to families.

Not that I disagree with you but this doesn't mean so much, considering the Senate is going on vacation recess after this.

(calling it vacation is a bit disingenuous, Senate's not in session but I imagine some senators will be doing some level of work in the interim)

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rea posted:

Covid relief gets jammed up by the GOP refusing unanimous consent either way, but adding an additional venue for them to jam th ings up just adds more delays. Every hour spent on the impeachment trial is an hour-long delay to stimulus checks being sent out, unemployment benefits being reinforced, and those $300 per child monthly checks being sent to families.

while I agree with the broader point somewhat, er, the senate is about to be in recess for the next week and change

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Parrotine posted:

Who gives a poo poo, it would have absolutely hosed over the GOP by pulling this stunt, they had no downsides for getting a witness.

Awful loving party, jesus tap dancing christ.

"What do you call it?"

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Angry_Ed posted:

Not that I disagree with you but this doesn't mean so much, considering the Senate is going on vacation after this.

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

while I agree with the broader point somewhat, er, the senate is about to be in recess for the next week and change

My point about adding delays still stands. The recess is already an extra delay on things, we don't need further ones.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's complete bullshit that they get to on week long vacay during a loving national emergency coming up on 500,000 deaths btw.

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE

GlyphGryph posted:

Woah, before we change the subject why dont you tell me in what world the Dems holding a vote for witnesses, winning the vote, and then immediately capitulating to the demands of Republicans is a good thing. Explain why this would be superior to literally any other option.

I thought that Raskin himself called for a vote on witnesses on his own accord after the defense team was stupidly objecting on due process grounds regarding having no witnesses called (which both sides already stipulated to in the initial procedural rules they agreed to) at which point Dems felt compelled to support Raskin?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Rea posted:

Covid relief gets jammed up by the GOP refusing unanimous consent either way, but adding an additional venue for them to jam things up just adds more delays. Every hour spent on the impeachment trial is an hour-long delay to stimulus checks being sent out, unemployment benefits being reinforced, and those $300 per child monthly checks being sent to families.

Please explain the mechanism by which witnesses would have slowed things down in a way that Democrats couldn't easily bypass

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

There are ways around that. They could have had both sides submit lists, draw up a resolution saying "we're calling this list of witnesses" comprising of ones from both lists, and then it's just one vote. That's the obvious fix.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
So trump's defense /depends/ upon the proposition that he was unaware of facts that we have multiple witnesses attesting that they were present when he was brought up to speed (with clear timestamps to establish chronology).

Depends upon. To the point that any senator that 1)knows about those attestments and 2)still votes "not guilty" is absolutely a co-conspirator in the execution and cover-up of high crimes...

And if it's not presented during the trial, they will pretend to be unaware of it...

Except it was presented in the trial, and witnesses were agreed upon because the defense disputed it, and now the defense will not be bringing in any witnesses or evidence disputing it...

Dems should be able to get a win here. I'm not gunna pretend I can predict the outcome, and the "counterfactual" problem pops up as soon as one clear path is pursued. I wanna see the former executive answer questions about the execution of the law, as is the right of a constituency in a democracy. I also want trump de-platformed and forgotten. And I want swift action from the the legislative and the biden admin on some key issues.

I don't think the Dems won, by getting witnesses. They all went in execting this to wrap up quickly. Trump's incompetent defence necessitated the vote on witnesses, it wasn't the strategy of the prosecution (though their clear and thorough presentation is what prompted the defense's folly). This probably makes some Dems fearful, as pursuing witnesses means abandoning a party-wide strategy (damnation memoria) to platform that rear end in a top hat one last time. He'll rant out his ukraine conspiracies, gop will demand hunter biden testify, and the Dems don't have a playbook ready for that.

Never interrupt your opponent when they're making a mistake, but caution is warranted if you have a winning strategy and your opponents wild flailing presents a different course to follow.

At the least, the Dems should take a day to strategize before agreeing to anything.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Uglycat posted:

At the least, the Dems should take a day to strategize before agreeing to anything.

This I agree with, rushing the vote now doesn't make a lot of sense to me seeing as how it looks like the witness vote caught everyone flatfooted.

Not that I think it will do much (especially since it's Saturday) but I did leave messages with my senators asking how they feel about diminishing an easy political win here by not having many/any witnesses.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Deteriorata posted:

This was always going to happen, it's completely obvious, so why did they hold (and win! bipartisanly!) the vote for witnesses in the first place?

It's so incredibly, unbelievably stupid and maybe the best example yet of why the GOP is so much better at weilding power

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Uglycat posted:

This is the biggest point. They should have taken the week's recess and regrouped. Instead they caved and that's going to be the end of it.

EDIT: At the most they could have kept this in the media for another week.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Uglycat posted:

So trump's defense /depends/ upon the proposition that he was unaware of facts that we have multiple witnesses attesting that they were present when he was brought up to speed (with clear timestamps to establish chronology).
No, Trump's defence depends on 45-ish Senators with (R) next to their name being unwilling to vote to convict in any circumstances. As in they literally don't care about evidence at all, actually literally, because they believe--or are purporting to believe--that the process is unconstitutional.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Hell if they were going to decide on no witnesses after all they could have at least not taken the Republicans deal and made it look like utter capitulation

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
lmao i went for a run when the news was breaking that the vote to allow witnesses passed and just got back to the Democrats self owning themselves. Everything is back to normal i see

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Angry_Ed posted:

Not what I said but thanks for playing.

What I am saying is that it doesn't matter if they called all the witnesses in the world, there is no way "having more poo poo to throw at Republicans" would depress the Republican base enough or convince enough of that same base that yes, Trump is a criminal who should be impeached. Especially in midterm elections where I could've sworn you have to run for things not against things.

The outcome was already known, pretending like getting testimony from more than the one person who wanted to testify would make all the difference in the world (and give Democrats the mythical "political capital") is folly.

Nah nice try though, no one cares about the republican base, it's all the members of the democratic base who basically go "Well whats the point of voting for you" when they watch people gently caress up this bad or not even try. Instead of energizing your own base you hosed up so hard you might depress it.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Telsa Cola posted:

Nah nice try though, no one cares about the republican base, it's all the members of the democratic base who basically go "Well whats the point of voting for you" when they watch people gently caress up this bad or not even try. Instead of energizing your own base you hosed up so hard you might depress it.

This is where I'm at right now as well.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Telsa Cola posted:

And if I believed for a second the one reason everyone voted for Democrats was to impeach Donald Trump a second time and not, say, COVID relief, I'd agree with you.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
This is also a massive loss for the Dems because they're making their closing arguments right now but instead of talking about it we're discussing that passing on witnesses was a huge mistake.

Passing on witnesses is the only thing people are going to talk about, especially if it comes out that witnesses would have provided more damming evidence.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rabble posted:

Passing on witnesses is the only thing people are going to talk about, especially if it comes out that witnesses would have provided more damming evidence.

All the evidence in the world means absolutely nothing when Republicans don't think this trial should even be happening and are voting to acquit based on that.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Angry_Ed posted:

And if I believed for a second the one reason everyone voted for Democrats was to impeach Donald Trump a second time and not, say, COVID relief, I'd agree with you.

It doesn't have to be THE one reason, it can be a pile of assorted reasons that this adds onto.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

SubG posted:

No, Trump's defence depends on 45-ish Senators with (R) next to their name being unwilling to vote to convict in any circumstances. As in they literally don't care about evidence at all, actually literally, because they believe--or are purporting to believe--that the process is unconstitutional.

That's already been voted on, so the final word is that it is. A senator justifying a not guilty vote with this reasoning absolutely damns themselves as covering up for high crimes.

Granted, only expulsion or a ballot box two years (or four, or six) stand as a check on such a failure of right demeanor.

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Angry_Ed posted:

Sidepoint to some degree, but I will kinda be curious what polling shows regarding the trial a week and potentially a couple months from now, if it's asked. I forget who it was from but someone mentioned about how this is likely to not be remembered by the Actual Public (and not just those of us extremely online) down the road, and ultimately, I *think* that's right. But will be interesting to see.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Angry_Ed posted:

All the evidence in the world means absolutely nothing when Republicans don't think this trial should even be happening and are voting to acquit based on that.

Ok but will you agree with the first part of my post that us talking about the witnesses and not the closing arguments makes the Dem's case weaker?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I am so loving mad right now. What the loving gently caress.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Uglycat posted:

That's already been voted on, so the final word is that it is. A senator justifying a not guilty vote with this reasoning absolutely damns themselves as covering up for high crimes.

Granted, only expulsion or a ballot box two years (or four, or six) stand as a check on such a failure of right demeanor.

Which is exactly why Republicans are getting away with this (and by doing things like meeting with the defense) because they know they won't get expelled and the odds of them being voted out aren't great either depending on location.

Rabble posted:

Ok but will you agree with the first part of my post that us talking about the witnesses and not the closing arguments makes the Dem's case weaker?

Nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

They hosed up COVID relief in the same exact way, deciding to reduce the check amounts and delay the bill. And then delaying it for the trial