Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

JethroMcB posted:

"Old people smell: the ultimate aphrodisiac oh PS I'm still young"[/i]
excuse me the term is musk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Some Guy TT posted:

Are you going to post Dinky Dinkerton now? It's been awhile since we've had a funny detective comic in the thread. The last one I remember was that goon-translated German one with the guy yelling out "deduction!" every few panels like he was an anime character.

For a bit, at least. I've got the first week ready to go.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Johnny Walker posted:

This may be stupid to ask but are you familiar with the cereal Fruity Pebbles? It's a Flintstones-branded cereal, so that's why the joke works. If you aren't from the US you might not be, I guess?
I'm not. I don't think it's sold here.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

catlord posted:

For a bit, at least. I've got the first week ready to go.

Oh good. So it's probably safe to assume that this isn't one of those comics that's obscure because half the characters are bizarre archaic racist stereotypes.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

genuinely believing more and more that One Big Happy is primarily some kind of elaborate dementia activity

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Well? Does it? What's the joke here? He doesn't look like he's asking in a whiny way; he just wants to know if he needs to make himself lunch or not.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (August 2-6, 1999)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The baby sleeps in Liz's room so presumably she was also kept up all night too, right?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell (August 2-6, 1999)

Even by Kevin and Kell standards this is a pretty bewildering setpiece of simultaneously arguing that capitalism is pointless but still concluding that it makes sense and that our characters are actually very smart for buying into it.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 13, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 13, 1999)

Garfield Classic (June 13, 1989)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

When the person handling the company orientation is wearing a hooded robe like they're the grim reaper, it might be time to reevaluate your life choices and get the gently caress out of that company.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

The way they mention signing up their mutant plant child for sports implies that the kid goes to school somewhere. So I guess people just don't care that DNA Wizard commits crimes against humanity and science on the reg, then?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

A random path would be even harder to follow!

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

amigolupus posted:

The way they mention signing up their mutant plant child for sports implies that the kid goes to school somewhere. So I guess people just don't care that DNA Wizard commits crimes against humanity and science on the reg, then?

If I'm not mistaken, the State's Governor is married to Dr. Brenda Scrimm, a woman who used to be a dog (A border collie who was half-cat, somehow, and previously married to another dog.). I am uncertain if the governor knows this, and there hasn't been enough interest in Safe Havens outside this thread to update the Wikipedia article since July.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

Even by Kevin and Kell standards this is a pretty bewildering setpiece of simultaneously arguing that capitalism is pointless but still concluding that it makes sense and that our characters are actually very smart for buying into it.

Holbrook seems to have weird opinions on capitalism and corporations, but I'm willing to see this as the system being stupid but the characters being able to flourish in spite of that.

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 03, 1943)

That's my son down there, and he's about to get laid. Nice!

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 15, 2021

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/12/01

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 11/19-21/45

Smokey Stover 6/18/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

This one likely dates to the anthrax scare that had people fighting to buy up antibiotics. Seems familiar, though, don't it?

Selachian fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 13, 2021

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Grouchposting

I always assumed landlubbering would be the appropriate way to bend that word.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Selachian posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac

This one likely dates to the anthrax scare that had people fighting to buy up antibiotics. Seems familiar, though, don't it?

I'm guessing this is from the 2002 - 2004 time period given the jokes about the French and the war on Iraq and I can say living in the DC Metro area at the time of this comic was wild. The safe room thing is referring to the scaremongering that terrorists would set off a dirty bomb or some kind of biological weapon and that you could -- poo poo you not -- safeguard your house by duct taping garbage bags to the windows.

"Duct tape sales rise amid terror fears
From Jeanne Meserve
CNN
Tuesday, February 11, 2003 Posted: 7:35 PM EST (0035 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Americans have apparently heeded the U.S. government's advice to prepare for terror attacks, emptying hardware store shelves of duct tape.

On Tuesday, less than 24 hours after U.S. Fire Administrator David Paulison described a list of useful items, stores in the greater Washington, D.C. area reported a surge in sales of plastic sheeting, duct tape, and other emergency items.

These items, Paulison said, can be helpful after a biological, chemical or radiological attack.

A Lowe's hardware store in Alexandria, Virginia, said every roll of duct tape has been sold. Another Alexandria Home Depot store reported sales of duct tape tripled overnight.

"Everything that was on that newscast, we are selling a lot of it," said Rich Pierce with a Home Depot in the D.C. area.

In his advisory, Paulison recommended that households have on hand three days worth of water and food; an emergency supply kit for both home and automobile; radios with extra batteries; and plastic sheeting and duct tape to seal windows and doors. (What to do)

With concerns growing about al Qaeda's interest in acquiring weapons of mass destruction, Paulison cautioned that aid after an attack could be hard to come by, at least initially.

He said that in the first 48 to 72 hours of an emergency, many Americans will likely to have to look after themselves.(Red Cross on preparedness)

If an attack occurs, Paulison said, households should tune in to local media outlets and not evacuate unless they are told to do so.

President Bush's Homeland Security Council raised the national threat level from yellow to orange on Friday. Orange indicates a "high" risk of terrorist attack, and yellow indicates an "elevated" risk.

The level was raised in part because of a high amount of "chatter" being intercepted by intelligence agencies.

When the Department of Homeland Security urged Americans on Monday to take steps to prepare for a possible attack, it said the advice was intended not as a "dire" warning but as cautionary advice."

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

SubNat posted:

Grouchposting

I always assumed landlubbering would be the appropriate way to bend that word.

I love this so much. The best thing is that Moominpapa seriously thinks he did a great job despite all evidence to the contrary.

Oh Spud, you tried your best, buddy. :allears:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
More "Serial Monogamy"-- just a few more pages than back to DtWOF proper

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm so close to being caught up on this thread! I'm on page 63, and I have these things to say:

- A+J owns so MUCH you guys I love that comic
- Tinkersons really is a good comic, I should reread it as the Helen arc is fascinating. I'm glad it's improved and I hope it continues to be good
- Overboard is earnestly stupid charming, and for that I will continue to be its fan, even if it portrays covid in the dumbest way possible. Well, it's dumb but it treats it like an actual threat and they wear masks so it's better than Some comics I could name.
- How was Far Side so consistently good? Like, drat.

Okay everyone hold off on posting comics for a few days so I can catch up at last! :v:

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Oh dude, do not cross Prince Val. You won't even be a footnote in the comic!

Eric is gonna get his at some point and it will be good

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

"What do you think, dumbass?"

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

They don't waste much time getting to the love connection in 3-G.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 13, 2021

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Jesus, Jeffy, simmer down.

If Ellie thinks she has it bad, she should try to imagine how Liz must feel, sharing her room with the baby and all.

Yep. Bestest buds forever. Just floors it right past. Not even a wave.

DC Money
Feb 24, 2007
I'm a fancy lad.

Haulin Oates posted:

I was playing around on Google, and why has no one mentioned that Richard Thompson came to the forums to thank people for their support?! Wow!

I emailed him a couple times with fan letters about particular strips, and he replied personally. One was a strip with the "you can't tie down a banjo man" line, and he remarked that he was worried he was overusing the line so he was glad i liked it.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"What do you think, dumbass?"

Loving the energy this nutritionist is bringing here

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

TheMadMilkman posted:

I’m really appreciating how Sally Forth is letting in some humor while still letting an emotional situation be expressed well. That’s a very difficult line to walk, and they seem to be handling it well.

It's the same level of Ctrl-Alt-Del monkeycheese nonsense as always. (Yes, I compared Ces to Tim Buckley. :colbert:) Just an unending word salad where the final panel trips over how many jokes it tries to tell. And then it veers for a couple weeks into maudlin seriousness that feels out of place in a strip with giant wolf statues in the backyard and psychic eighth graders.

Either leave the soapy melodramatics to Judge Parker or commit to making Sally Forth a serious serial - and let JP turn into the farcical parody you want it to be, Ces.

Modesty Blaise

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Selachian posted:

Stephen Collins

I absolutely don't get this.

B Kliban

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set sees me rollin'.

Working Daze wants us to do its work for them.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix self-spoils.

Cul De Sac is my worst nightmare.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

fondue posted:

I absolutely don't get this.

Bridgerton is a Regency-style-romance show on Netflix. Haven't seen it myself, but I assume Collins is parodying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

How Wonderful! posted:

More "Serial Monogamy"-- just a few more pages than back to DtWOF proper

I always thought this was where the series was originally supposed to end, because that would be a killer last panel, but Bechdel likely thought it was too downer and/or too short. The splice is pretty awkward too. That said, I love the "Ex-Lover Zone" bits; they're both hilarious and moving.

This is a profound observation.

Selachian posted:

Bridgerton is a Regency-style-romance show on Netflix. Haven't seen it myself, but I assume Collins is parodying it.
I have, and it's pretty spot on. Bridgerton is kind of a self-parody already - it's sometimes deliberately/humorously ridiculous, I think partly to make the now-absurd 18th century plotlines easier to swallow.

curtadams fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 13, 2021