Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1360595747708809218?s=19

I'm running out of irony to shield myself from this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Communist Thoughts posted:

Once this shits over I'm going to Istanbul and Xi'an coz I wanna see em, sorry planet
Xi'an isn't that exciting. Worth a long weekend (see the walls and the terracotta warriors but not much else); there are much better places in China to spend longer time. (I lived there for 4 yrs if you want recommendations...)

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Zarah seems good.

https://twitter.com/zarahsultana/status/1360628483832107013?s=20

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

Like, honestly the only thing I still wanna do on this wretched planet is see a little more of it before I die in the hunger games of 2034, but I know in my heart of hearts I can't justify it to myself. It makes me really sad
I hear from people who travelled extensively in the 70s and earlier how beautiful various parts of the world were, but then I hear from other people who went to those places in recent years and basically had to be under armed guard. Even a lot of apparently vanilla holiday resorts have stealth protection that the locals are aware of but the tourists aren't.

My wife travelled to Pokhara and Kathmandu in Nepal around the time of the ash cloud (and got stuck in India on the way home), and when they were on their way back to the hotel one of their Gurkha guides informed them they had been followed for a few blocks by a gang of men, but they were gone now. Apparently a lot of teenage girls follow the hippy trail through that region like their parents did and just go missing.

Like the area around the pyramids - my parents did the tour round the outside and barge trip down the nile with Thomsons while they were in Cyprus, and one of the guys who was following them round was leaning over the railing and had what my mum described as a submachine gun hanging under one arm.

I don't think this is because the countries or the people are dangerous, but I do feel that there's a lot of justified anti-west sentiment, and also gangs who are aware of how much more money your average westerner has, when you look at the average monthly wage in say Mexico city and compare it to how much daily spending money a tourist carries.

So while I can't afford to go to the pyramids, I can at least console myself that even if I could, the world doesn't work that way anymore, white people are rightly despised in a lot of areas, and I would just be too paranoid and stressed to enjoy it properly.

What I really want is to go wandering round a tomb on my own looking at inscriptions and stuff, but they don't let you do that any more so I have to play assassins creed origins instead.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Guardian headline writer not knowing there's a difference between learning difficulties and a learning disability is par for the course I guess

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Jakabite posted:

You not going on holiday isn't going to do poo poo - it's systemic issues that are killing the planet. Fulfil your dream, you only get one life and you won't feel any better if the world burns for having deprived yourself of the one thing you want to do more than anything.

Alternatively- make what difference you can, maybe try to turn one air journey into a surface journey. It's feasible for most of western Europe if you're willing to allow one more day.
Air travel is synonymous with international travel but it doesn't have to be. It's high stress, polluting, there's no view and it involves spending time in an ugly building where the only pass-time is buying a massive toblerone.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Once this shits over I'm going to Istanbul and Xi'an coz I wanna see em, sorry planet

Once this poo poo's over there's gonna be a huge boom in international travel and flight costs are gonna triple.

Calling it now.

Sucks rear end 'cause I used to like going on an international holiday once every year or two and it'd be nice to go and visit my family some time without bankrupting myself.

Endjinneer posted:

Alternatively- make what difference you can, maybe try to turn one air journey into a surface journey. It's feasible for most of western Europe if you're willing to allow one more day.
Air travel is synonymous with international travel but it doesn't have to be. It's high stress, polluting, there's no view and it involves spending time in an ugly building where the only pass-time is buying a massive toblerone.

Oh, yeah. Wife and I did a trip to Italy by train, with an afternoon's stop off in Paris. Train to Milan, couple of days there, train to rome, 3 days there, train to Naples, stayed overnight then picked up a hire car and drove to Sorrento. Highly recommend it. Of course we flew back but that's still less climate impact than flying both ways.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 13, 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Killing more younglings than Anakin.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Ewan posted:

Xi'an isn't that exciting. Worth a long weekend (see the walls and the terracotta warriors but not much else); there are much better places in China to spend longer time. (I lived there for 4 yrs if you want recommendations...)

Hua-shan is pretty! That's about the only other thing I can remember of my brief visit to Xi'an.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1360595747708809218?s=19

I'm running out of irony to shield myself from this

I'm running low on bile.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

big scary monsters posted:

It's unfortunate that some people have preexisting conditions, such as children or active social lives, that make lockdown especially hard for them. But IMO their sacrifice is a small price to pay so that childless asthmatic shutins can continue to live normally.

Seems like a hot take but I’m not sure tbh

Like it seems like ‘childless asthmatic shutins’ has an implied judgement but I dunno??

I get that there’s tension between groups but this really seems like you think we’ve reached the point where we should triage the childless, the asthmatic and the shy

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 13, 2021

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
gently caress them kids

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Finally, the british perspective.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Definitely try and travel via the surface of the planet more if possible like, for all the reasons stated. Just don't severely hamper your dreams and life experiences on the off chance it might delay the apocalypse by a millionth of a second.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

gently caress them kids

Tory spotted.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Maugrim posted:

Guardian headline writer not knowing there's a difference between learning difficulties and a learning disability is par for the course I guess

Does that really change anything?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

I meant gently caress the kids not gently caress the kids

https://twitter.com/thecourieruk/status/1360334247035162627?s=19

I feel they could have chosen a better metaphor. Unless they're expecting to lose. In which case brilliant metaphor.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

stev posted:

Does that really change anything?

Of course not.

But I decided to avoid commenting on the broader content for the sake of my blood pressure. I mean what can you even say really.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
I've never seen a good argument against flight mile quotas. Basically everyone gets a certain number of miles they're allowed to fly each year, enough that a normal person wouldn't hit the limit. The rich with their insatiable plane-lust will obviously want more so they can buy more miles from poorer people that can sell the miles they wouldn't have been using anyway.

Creates a new market that efficiently transfers wealth from rich to poor people and normalises the idea of flight restrictions, which assuming no magical clean tech emerges is going to have to be limited at some point so the planet doesn't die.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

namesake posted:

Cruises are just so awful for the environment I was actually hopeful the pandemic would end the industry but I guess not.

I have long wanted to force all cruise ships to be renamed The Diarrhea Princess and for those who still go on them to be put on a list, sort of like the sex offenders' register but for grossly thoughtless people instead

therattle posted:

What the gently caress is your problem? Wanting to go on holiday is a perfectly normal and acceptable desire, especially after one has been locked down on and off for a year. It represents freedom and is probably one of the high points of most people’s year. WTF does that have to do with Syria? I want to go on holiday (but I’m not going to), and I am very aware of Syria.

Go for another walk. A longer one.

calm yourself down mate, i was just saying it's a good thing to remember that there are people out there experiencing worse

i'm the sort of person who is grateful for what i have, i suppose, like being able to sleep in a warm bed and not having to worry about seeing my loved ones getting their heads chopped off in the street

no matter how hard i try i can never commit the correct spelling of diarrhea to memory and i have to google it quite often and sometimes i wonder if their algorithm has me pegged (lol) as having a bowel problem

crispix fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 13, 2021

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Knowing a few nurses in their late 20's / early 30's who have been off work for 6+ months with long covid I think the risks to the 'non-vunerable' population are alarmingly downplayed in the 'open up NOW' case.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

crispix posted:

I have long wanted to force all cruise ships to be renamed The Diarrhea Princess and for those who still go on them to be put on a list, sort of like the sex offenders' register but for grossly thoughtless people instead

calm yourself down mate, i was just saying it's a good thing to remember that there are people out there experiencing worse

i'm the sort of person who is grateful for what i have, i suppose, like being able to sleep in a warm bed and not having to worry about seeing my loved ones getting their heads chopped off in the street

no matter how hard i try i can never commit the correct spelling of diarrhea to memory and i have to google it quite often and sometimes i wonder if their algorithm has me pegged (lol) as having a bowel problem

I'm with therattle here, your 'I don't like doing stuff and people who do are stupid babies' schtick is unbelievably grating.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
My Granma (long retired and widowed) does cruises and it's great for her because it's about the only time she gets out and about otherwise she's just living a miserable existence at home on her own. She goes on her own but they tend to group similar alone oldies together at dinner and it all sounds very pleasant.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Vitamin P posted:

I've never seen a good argument against flight mile quotas. Basically everyone gets a certain number of miles they're allowed to fly each year, enough that a normal person wouldn't hit the limit. The rich with their insatiable plane-lust will obviously want more so they can buy more miles from poorer people that can sell the miles they wouldn't have been using anyway.

Creates a new market that efficiently transfers wealth from rich to poor people and normalises the idea of flight restrictions, which assuming no magical clean tech emerges is going to have to be limited at some point so the planet doesn't die.

This would be lovely for the same reasons as fishing quotas and carbon credits. The airlines, who don't care who is flying as long as somebody is and pays for it, would continuously lobby for the quota to be as high as possible. The tiny proportion of frequent flyers who currently account for a vastly disproportionate amount of the travel and carbon emissions would argue that their travel is now not causing any problems so long as they pay for the credits. And you just know that any money people did make from selling their credits would be deducted from any benefits they might receive anyway - it's unlike to leave the poorest any better off. All that effort, little help to those who need it the most, no effect on climate change, and the rich have an excuse to deflect blame for it. If you're going to put up quotas, they should be fixed, non-transferrable, and tax the everliving gently caress out of any travel that exceeds them.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Jakabite posted:

I'm with therattle here, your 'I don't like doing stuff and people who do are stupid babies' schtick is unbelievably grating.

it's not a shtick i'm just being honest :/

but fair enough, i suppose i'm the one with the aberrant perspective and if it's really upsetting people then i'll stop saying people are being somewhat melodramatic about how hard it is to not go on their holidays

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Scikar posted:

This would be lovely for the same reasons as fishing quotas and carbon credits. The airlines, who don't care who is flying as long as somebody is and pays for it, would continuously lobby for the quota to be as high as possible. The tiny proportion of frequent flyers who currently account for a vastly disproportionate amount of the travel and carbon emissions would argue that their travel is now not causing any problems so long as they pay for the credits. And you just know that any money people did make from selling their credits would be deducted from any benefits they might receive anyway - it's unlike to leave the poorest any better off. All that effort, little help to those who need it the most, no effect on climate change, and the rich have an excuse to deflect blame for it. If you're going to put up quotas, they should be fixed, non-transferrable, and tax the everliving gently caress out of any travel that exceeds them.

Hell limit it to one long haul round trip per year. We've long since proven that international business absolutely does not require air travel, and that way normal folk still get to blow off steam with a big trip every once in a while.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

crispix posted:

people are being somewhat melodramatic

crispix posted:

:thunk:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

JoylessJester posted:

Knowing a few nurses in their late 20's / early 30's who have been off work for 6+ months with long covid I think the risks to the 'non-vunerable' population are alarmingly downplayed in the 'open up NOW' case.

idk it's probably only tens or hundreds of thousands of lives avoidably ruined, being concerned about it seems like something only a shut in friendless nerd would do imho

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Scikar posted:

Anything that wasn't deducted straight from benefits or hoovered up by predatory brokers would be negated anyway when most of the population immediately starts selling all of their miles every year and markets adjust to suck the extra money straight back off them (much like UBI without rent/price controls). The only effect would be that only rich people can travel at all, which they continue to do literally all they want.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

With EU integration and brain drain from the LEDCs long distance travel is much more complicated than just holiday usage. A small number of people take multiple flights usually for business and are mostly responsible for total air miles flown so a untaxed return flight for every passport and a steadily increasing tax rate applied for all subsequent bookings on that passport will allow many people the freedom of travel for holiday or family while still detering frequent business usage.

This is slightly immaterial at this exact moment in time but a good sort of mindset for how to tackle it in future.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

i don't think making an effort to broaden the perspective on something you're experiencing is being melodramatic. it's always helped get me through bad times. there's an old irish adage that encapsulates it that i find very helpful: "no matter how poo poo you're having it, there's always some poor oval office out there having it worse"

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I find reading historical fiction is quite good for maintaining some perspective, I've got running water and can go buy food in a shop and these stupid motherfuckers are having famines and dying of cholera

although at least they understood what quarantines are for

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
It's an interesting question : does the fact that others are suffering more than you invalidate any grief you might feel about your own situation? Like, is ANYONE entitled to ever feel sorry for themselves in the developed world, when bombs are being dropped on other people who are objectively worse off?

I think the answer is 'yes', even though it is helpful to put your own suffering in perspective.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jakabite posted:

Definitely try and travel via the surface of the planet more if possible
Elon Musk will remember this.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

The Perfect Element posted:

It's an interesting question : does the fact that others are suffering more than you invalidate any grief you might feel about your own situation? Like, is ANYONE entitled to ever feel sorry for themselves in the developed world, when bombs are being dropped on other people who are objectively worse off?

I think it hard to tell really. It's kind of the reverse "there are starving kids out there" situation. I suppose it also matters as to how and what we do to counter it.

Also this was linked a little bit ago and it seems quite interesting, obviously not in favour of Starmer but it does help to put stuff in context:

http://newsocialist.org.uk/transmissions/bad-week-starmer-or-worse/

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I definitely remember being snidely told this thread was in complete agreement on how to handle the pandemic and lockdowns so we should probably just stick with re opening everything whenever that was scheduled for.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
by way of reconciliation as i seem to have pissed off some people today i will share with you all some photographs that i took (using the camera built into my mobile-telephone) on my walk today. i hope that those of you who did not get to have a lovely walk today will get some enjoyment from seeing photographs taken during my lovely walk on your computer screen/monitor/Visual Display Unit there

https://imgur.com/a/ydcw2Ma

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1360677886785683462?s=20

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Doing my insurance today and I've just found out that "Spiderman" is a choice of profession.

Pray tell what need does Spiderman have for car insurance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

I meant gently caress the kids not gently caress the kids

https://twitter.com/thecourieruk/status/1360334247035162627?s=19

I feel they could have chosen a better metaphor. Unless they're expecting to lose. In which case brilliant metaphor.

"fail forward" is effectively official government policy so either way it's spot on