Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Our long national nightmare is over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

It's getting a PC release too, am I reading that right? That's awesome!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I sure do hope we get Kenji 2 some day

It's gonna be the only one left in the cold...

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The fan translation of Kenji 2 is good quality!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
At this point, my heart of hearts says that 4-6 will release somewhat close to a "Ace Attorney Investigations Chronicles" and we'll live in an era where you can buy all 11 games on a single platform.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

what about.... ace attorney 7 though

capcom, what about ace attorney 7????

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The timeline last page said Q3, if GAA is coming in the next few months it might end up in Q2 instead of Q1 as planned, so we'd still be on track for 7 this year.

God, just imagine a year ago being told "yeah, 2021 has both GAAs localized and 7 is made"

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Argue posted:

The fan translation of Kenji 2 is good quality!

True but there are a lot of people who will never play it because it requires a rom / and or the use of emulation, buying a game off the shelf is so much easier

plus they deserve money for the best game in the series imo

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 13, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Blue Labrador posted:

It's getting a PC release too, am I reading that right? That's awesome!

I can't wait to see what all the fuss is about, you guys have made me extremely curious!

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

The excitement of new Ace Attorney has got me combing through the world of fan games over the past week or so. I found case 1 of "Contempt of Court" to be pretty alright, while the "Turnabout of the Golden Witch" Umineko crossover was transcendent. The others I've encountered seem a little... I don't wanna say trying too hard, but definitely going for something meatier than this series really needs.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Those are just Taiwan ratings, right? Have we heard anything about an English release specifically? (although it's fair to assume that any English release will be based off this Chronicles release)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The reason people are excited is that this corroborates information about an English release found in the files dumped when Capcom had that ransomware attack, which included specific mention of Sherlock's name being changed to avoid trouble with the Doyle Estate, which is mostly a trouble in English speaking countries.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I figured that much, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something since I've seen some people acting like these were confirmed release dates for the west and not just Taiwan.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, I'm just taking it as confirmation that it's coming "soon" and thankfully not cancelled due to COVID.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Two more years iirc and all of Sherlock Holmes is public domain

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that's sadly not going to happen because next year disney is going to successfully lobby the concept of public domain out of all law books in existence

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Amppelix posted:

that's sadly not going to happen because next year disney is going to successfully lobby the concept of public domain out of all law books in existence

Their attempt to stall public domain should have happened in 2019 as thats when we finally started adding stuff into it again. We've moved forward 3 years in a hundred years!!!

But Im sure they'll try again because 2024 is the current Mickey Mouse goes Public Domain date.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

At this point, we should just make a specific exception for Mickey Mouse to get them to buzz off.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

At this point, we should just make a specific exception for Mickey Mouse to get them to buzz off.

This is near on derail but public domain is a year by year thing. Its why the Sherlock Holmes estate has clung to the last stories for suits. What it means for disney is even if steamboat willie goes public domain, only that enters. Current iconic mickey look? Decades from now. Dare to make a project using their still protected trademark or referencing later material? 10 tons of lawyering be upon you

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I want Herlock Sholmes and will not accept anything else.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I demand the greatest script of all time, where all the Japanese characters get western names(it's just not Wright otherwise :colbert:) and Sherlock gets a Japanese name that is somehow a Sherlock Holmes pun. Japan is turned into Japanifornia, as it ought to be, and England is Oddly English Japan.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

One of the greatest Japanese mystery novelists, Edogawa Ranpo, rendered his pen name as a pun on Edgar Allen Poe

So not outside the realm of possibility

E: Asado Yoru

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
How well does the Edgeworth game play on mobile? I wanted to play it but the physical copy for the 3DS pretty much doesn't exist anymore and it's not gonna be on the eshop for it or the Switch for the foreseeable future.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm interested in this as well. Specifically, some reviews for the game say that it requires an internet connection to play, and I'd be playing on a tablet that may not always have internet access. Are those reviews accurate? An always online single player game is literally a deal breaker for me.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I don’t remember it requiring internet but the game itself plays fine, from what I remember.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

MorningMoon posted:

I want Herlock Sholmes and will not accept anything else.

Considering the way the investigations work, I propose Himbo Holmes.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Samovar posted:

Considering the way the investigations work, I propose Himbo Holmes.

Considering how the investigations play out in 1, he's deliberately inserting mistakes to train Grandpa into the magical lawyer superpower of basic logic. Notice how the (metaphorical) song and (literal) dance show does not really change after Naruhodo's corrections.

I'm hoping it's setting up a scene in game 2 where SHerlock honestly has no clue and they're on the clock so he can't simply coke up for half a day for inspiration, so the two actually have to collaborate in solving the puzzle instead of SHolmes leading Ryunosuke to the answer.

Also surely you mean Himbo Sholmes?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
For those of you who have played in both English and Japanese, how do the games differ? Is it just simple dialog or are there major plot changes?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

For those of you who have played in both English and Japanese, how do the games differ? Is it just simple dialog or are there major plot changes?

No significant plot changes at all. They move the setting from Japan to the US and occasionally minor details get changed because of that, but overall the localisation does a great job of working well in English without losing any of the original story.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Arguably the game's humor is improved when set in the US for how ludicrous it is.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah, it's just dialog changes and some minor puzzle changes to make the puzzles make sense for the changed setting (for example, one changes the time zone between Tokyo and New York to LA and Paris, another changes a puzzle related to which side of a car is driver vs passenger), so you end up with things like a tiny rural Japanese village in the Sierra Nevada and a guy who's a weeb obsessed with samurai who watches Rakugo plays in LA.

It's great.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

They didn't even try to explain the village full of yokai

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They're all the craze

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The yokai case is where they kinda gave up and then the rakugo case is where they actually just gave up

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

flavor.flv posted:

They didn't even try to explain the village full of yokai

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Phoenix Wright's version of California just has had a very high number of Japanese immigrants who have thoroughly spread their culture over time.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

this is basically the only dialogue in the entire case that even remotely tries to justify all the yokai poo poo

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm sure there are a lot of Naruto fans in California.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You will take Japanafornia from my cold dead hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, they explained the Rakugo case just fine; it's just a thing that has a local scene and Blackquill knows all about it because he's a turbo-weeb, boosh, done. Trying to go any deeper would only have made it worse, and any characterization that highlights just how much of a dork Blackquill is is good characterization.

I think SoJ was also the first game to actually mention that the cast lives in Los Angeles.