Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

misadventurous posted:

the sheer resistance liberals have to demanding politicians actually earn their votes holy moly

sorry for bringing it up for the 60000th time but this is also exactly why so many plants went mask-off on ftv

their greatest fear is politicians having to do what people want them to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also hm i wonder why midterm voting sharply declines with a dem president???

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh my god the mandalorian is gonna be mad at me!!!

this is literally an endless liberal meltdown that has no end in sight because one of their worst scolds has finally had enough

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

it's extremely funny the democrats waited a month to do the trial, losing momentum, and it was still half-assed

the big strategy change on the last day, only to reverse it in a few hours because Senators wanted a holiday, was the icing on the cake

meanwhile thousands are still dying of COVID. Or dying of exposure during a winter storm because they've been kicked out of housing

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Yinlock posted:

weren't we going to cut down on the endless sea of twitter poo poo takes

lol no

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wtf I love Parker Molloy now

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

lmao @ the amerikkan swine that rule over us. truly contemptible scum

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Yinlock posted:

weren't we going to cut down on the endless sea of twitter poo poo takes

the ruling council never actually tabled that motion. DENIED.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

this is literally an endless liberal meltdown that has no end in sight because one of their worst scolds has finally had enough

how do these people feel about Black neighborhoods in Democrat run states that had their lowest turnout in years last election

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
1 liberal: "Earn my vote"
Every other liberal: "gently caress YOU YOU PRIVELEGED PIECE OF poo poo"
Libs in 2022: "How did we lose the House AND the Senate?? loving PUTIN"

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Democrats are gonna nominate Romney in 2024

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

the fact that she even says they have over a year to earn her vote and people are still angrily saying she’s privileged for i guess tweeting it out and possibly influencing people to also withhold their vote if they don’t get results?? like you have to pledge your loyalty now and forever no matter how worthless the democrats are for the next year it honestly freaks me out how conditioned that is

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Atrocious Joe posted:

it's extremely funny the democrats waited a month to do the trial, losing momentum, and it was still half-assed

the big strategy change on the last day, only to reverse it in a few hours because Senators wanted a holiday, was the icing on the cake

meanwhile thousands are still dying of COVID. Or dying of exposure during a winter storm because they've been kicked out of housing

Don't forget to vote blue in 2 years!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Atrocious Joe posted:

Democrats are gonna nominate Romney in 2024

real talk: I will not be at all surprised if Romney changes party affiliation in the next 4 years

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

misadventurous posted:

the fact that she even says they have over a year to earn her vote and people are still angrily saying she’s privileged for i guess tweeting it out and possibly influencing people to also withhold their vote if they don’t get results?? like you have to pledge your loyalty now and forever no matter how worthless the democrats are for the next year it honestly freaks me out how conditioned that is

democrats cannot fail, democrats can only be failed

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
whcih is good of course

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

misadventurous posted:

from 2012:

quote:

Narrowing this down, the ‘cult’ is very specifically one of fandom, and 'sacrifice’ is presented in terms of devotion to (and ersatz affiliation with) a media franchise.

The film symptomatically presents the conflict as one between sheer totalitarian brainwash and “the free market of ideas” - in the literal sense that people purchase and consume speech. No gray between.

Consider how the ending celebrates the multitude of opinions presented on cable news, but not the content of those opinions. It’s “Fair and Balanced”. Consider how Loki is essentially spotted by a Youtuber, brought to you by Google. The wireless camera trick is social networking taken to a logical extreme, and the content of that network is Marvel® character Loki™. By making your own videos about The Avengers, you are making The Avengers stronger, right? Maybe they’ll give you a reach-around.

The meta-franchise reading is well-supported by the text. In a continuation of Captain America and Iron Man 2, these characters are not only superheroes but brand names, with diegetic lines of merchandising. You wonder if they’ll ever broach the topic of whether Steve Rogers gets residuals for his likeness appearing everywhere.

As noted before, the film is celebrating the way that fans 'participate’ in a franchise by generating content for it. This logic is applied to the role of social networking in the augmentation of a surveillance society, of evangelism in augmenting a church, and it’s pushed to an extreme with Coulson’s baseball cards. Coulson inserts himself into the Captain America franchise in every sense.

So what is to be sacrificed? Obviously Marvel doesn’t want real-world fans to literally die in the service of The Avengers, as Coulson does. But they can sacrifice their money on merch, and their free time on viral marketing. They can contribute to its record-breaking grosses. In return, they get sequels to every film, and a chance to 'turn off [your] brain via popcorn fun’.

This is all extra troublesome, since the sole alternative presented by the film is rape.

lol.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Republicans absolutely will not let them undo the cuts, because they know a Democratic Party president gets the blame for them. They should have raised taxes on the middle class in nine years like McConnell did, which absolutely gets repealed unless the nine years lands in a year with a Democratic Party president and a divided Congress, and even then it's a maybe. Strange how the Democrats decided to put the elderly poor at risk

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/WajahatAli/status/1360697191698898945

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

galenanorth posted:

Republicans absolutely will not let them undo the cuts, because they know a Democratic Party president gets the blame for them. They should have raised taxes on the middle class in nine years like McConnell did, which absolutely gets repealed unless the nine years lands in a year with a Democratic Party president and a divided Congress, and even then it's a maybe. Strange how the Democrats decided to put the elderly poor at risk

They are forever seen as weaklings in the face of the country’s enemies, for example; but on basic economic questions they are trusted to do the right thing for average people. That a Democrat might be the one to pick apart the safety net is a violation of this basic brand identity, but by the very structure of the system it is extremely difficult to hold the party accountable for such a deed. This, in turn, is why only a Democrat was able to do that job and get away with it. Only a Democrat was capable of getting bank deregulation passed; only a Democrat could have rammed NAFTA through Congress; and only a Democrat would be capable of privatizing Social Security, as George W. Bush found out in 2005. “It’s kind of the Nixon-goes-to-China theory,” the conservative Democrat Charles Stenholm told the historian Steven Gillon on this last subject. “It takes a Democrat to do some of the hard choices in social programs.”

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Donald Trump literally became president after 8 years of Biden sitting in the Oval Office. lmfao.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Parker Molloy is Warrenite Prime iirc, so all those libs have a point about her being privileged and out of touch

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lmao

just incapable of learning (how good the democrats are at winning elections)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

in fact those grapes were sour the entire time

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lmfao Biden BARELY beat Trump the first time. Round 2 should be good.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

loquacius posted:

Parker Molloy is Warrenite Prime iirc, so all those libs have a point about her being privileged and out of touch

in that she isn’t right wing enough, you conveniently leave out.

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1360718753592401927?s=20

*trump appointed judges

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taintrunner posted:

there are SO MANY of these fuckers

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

"What do you mean you wanted results?! Are you some kind of loving nazi?!"

the 2016 lover
May 29, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun Shoe

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

umm sounds like he would still have won the popular vote 💅

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/hebeipangzai/status/1360418193752215554?s=20

here’s to another 4 years of SUCC

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
it’s telling some of these people have never opened a book, who the gently caress on the left wants to work with liberals

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

the amount of biden avs/fans mad about this is hilarious. getting the exact government they voted for

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

why did i read all this
why did i open twitter and read more of them

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TwoStepBoog posted:

why did i read all this
why did i open twitter and read more of them

this is our hell now

we live in this hell all around us

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

wait the impeachment poo poo failed already? lol

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's funny how Biden beat Trump by like 8 million votes but he actually only won by like a few thousand votes in very specific states because we have a very cool democracy

Therefore the libs get to simultaneously crow about their overwhelming victory and shame anyone who threatens to not vote for a person who doesn't represent them

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

The Pussy Boss posted:

listen fat, this is a time of healing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The Pussy Boss posted:

dems held a vote to bring out witnesses, republicans called their bluff and agreed, dems went "oh uh we didnt want to actually" and backed down